Do we have a key player? Do we need to get one?

Parky

It's the midfield creative force that we are missing, someone with that extra bit of class. Butt, Barton, Smith etc, yes they are decent hardworking players but they don't have that extra quality from midfield that we need. Barton is a different type of player as well, but not the creator we need.

As it has been mentioned Owen without creativity is nothing, and even then it is far from certain that the Owen of 5 years ago still exists.

I've become somewhat concerned with what looks like Allardyce's obsession with packing the team full of hard as nails players, especially in midfield.

Yeah, but it'll please the "100%" crowd. Seriously, we need some spark there and present the only one we have is playing left back.

we do need a playmaker. Barton won't fulfill that role when he comes back, yes he can get forward well and score a few but he is not a creator, he won't slice a team open with a pacy dribble or intelligent pass. we have quite a few players who can put the ball in the back of the net or come up with "end product" but very few who can link these players together to make a coherent team that is greater than the sum of its part. this sort of player not only does a lot individually but improves the game of those around him. a bunch of players with end product like milner, martins, owen and so on won't make a good team, but place them in the same side as a player like Fabregas and they'll blossom.

I think Viduka can fulfill this role in a 4-4-2, and then we don't neccessarily need a playmaker in midfield, as he can drop deep and Barton can overlap and do what he is good at. but if we are playing a 4-3-3 and viduka is bogged down trying to play target man, then i think it is vital that we buy a playmaker or the system won't be successful.

I think Barton's a very creative player, similar to Gerrard but not as good. Gets a bad press in terms of his footballing ability just because of his temperament imo.

Agree with this. If it wasn't for his temperamental problems, he'd be playing for one of the big four and be a regular in the England squad. He'll make a big difference to us when he returns. He's a good all-rounder.

COULD be one of Owen, Barton, Martins or one of Cacapa or Rozehnal.

If Owen gets back to fitness and starts scoring for fun, he'd be a key-player.

If Barton lives up to my expectations and is the box-to-box driving force in midfield, he could be a key-player.

If Martins finds his role and learns how to use his strengths, he could, eventually, become a key-player

If/when Cacapa/Roz learns the English game, and learns to control and command our defence, one of them could be a key player.

It's just too early to say, IMO, especially with so many new faces. Could well be Geremi, Milner, Zoggy or Enrique as well, though I think all of them are less likely than the once I just described

Guest Knightrider

I've become somewhat concerned with what looks like Allardyce's obsession with packing the team full of hard as nails players, especially in midfield.

Yet looking at how bolton lined up over the years....

Diouf, Anelka, Campo, Hierro, Djorkaef, Okocha et al.

Allardyce is a no nonsense manager who will pick a side to do a job first and foremost. Points are important early on as they give any side a platform to build on and a new manager some breathing space, especially at a club like Newcastle. At the moment it seems like he's happy to pack the team full of grafters, but this will change in time. He's doing the right thing in my opinion, sacrificing performances for points. He's also done similar in the transfer market, sacrificing flair for solid players. Points and squad depth are priorities. Within the coming years we'll transform way beyond what we are today, a workmanlike team with a few individuals who seem to be grinding out results or getting by for now. Look at Bolton in his final season and how they often lined up, that's what he'll try to achieve here, only you hope with a better calibre of player, although both Diouf and Anelka would walk into our current team.

Guest Knightrider

As for a key player, we don't have one, however I'm happy with that, I'd rather the team be the key player if you like or the manager. I agree with others though, I think Barton can be. Indeed he's key to this team right now because it badly lacks a driving force in the centre which Barton will provide. That alone will change the whole dynamics of this team and provide us with balance. Then add an Emre, a Zoggy on the wing and in future transfers, maybe players like Anelka and Diouf who can play in a forward three switching flanks and roles. It is all good :)

As for a key player, we don't have one, however I'm happy with that, I'd rather the team be the key player if you like or the manager. I agree with others though, I think Barton can be. Indeed he's key to this team right now because it badly lacks a driving force in the centre which Barton will provide. That alone will change the whole dynamics of this team and provide us with balance. Then add an Emre, a Zoggy on the wing and in future transfers, maybe players like Anelka and Diouf who can play in a forward three switching flanks and roles. It is all good :)

Hope you're right grass but remember expectation only leads to disappointment.

Hope you're right grass but remember expectation only leads to disappointment.

Chris is really doing his best to take over my Mr Optimism mantle. :razz:

Guest Knightrider

I sat down and analysed our three matches the other night, and I see nothing but good (in the long term). What we are seeing is the emergence of a well drilled side that needs tweaked here and there to become a well drilled, high performance winning machine. We will never play football like Arsenal or Man Utd but we'll be in between Liverpool and Chelsea in terms of style which is more than good enough for me. This may take a season or two.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I think Barton's a very creative player, similar to Gerrard but not as good. Gets a bad press in terms of his footballing ability just because of his temperament imo.

I think Barton could wind up playing the key role Vinie Jones played in "mean machine" (shite film , by the way).

I think Barton could wind up playing the key role Vinie Jones played in "mean machine" (shite film , by the way).

So what ready to take a bung? Hope not! (By the way why didn't you go with Pele from Escape to Victory ffs?)

Chris, I'm still worried the "steady she goes" team building needs to remember some flair. We Newcastle fans really are the stereotype we've created for ourselves, fickle to the point that attractive football needs to rear it's not so ugly head against the weaker teams at home otherwise there is outrage, just reading here is proof enough.

when Bartons back he will be our key player just like lampard gerrard are to chel and liver etc...

also N'Zogbia or Milner...the only players who runs at the opposition with pace and lifts the crowd  :lol: they are 2 key players

We need to sign a Kieron Dyer style player, someone who excites the crowd, someone who can get forward and run at defenders with pace....