Time to reflect on this summer transfer window (and what a window it was)

Guest nufc 4 life

Guest Knightrider

This for me has been the best summer ever in terms of players in and out, almost all the bad apples have gone and we got big money for two of them, making a profit. While those that have come in have strengthened the first team and with it the squad, making the 2007-08 Toon one of the strongest we've had on paper for many a year.

In terms of percentages I'd say 90% of what was needed done in the summer has been done, which is staggering when you consider all the previous wasted windows that never got close to addressing anywhere near 90% of what needed done under all those previous windows.

All this while undergoing a takeover and on the back of our worst ever spell in the top-flight post Premiership inception.

At the start of the window we needed a new defence and now we really only need a creative player and some depth for the flanks, what a turn around.

This for me has been the best summer ever in terms of players in and out, almost all the bad apples have gone and we got big money for two of them, making a profit. While those that have come in have strengthened the first team and with it the squad, making the 2007-08 Toon one of the strongest we've had on paper for many a year.

In terms of percentages I'd say 90% of what was needed done in the summer has been done, which is staggering when you consider all the previous wasted windows that never got close to addressing anywhere near 90% of what needed done under all those previous windows.

All this while undergoing a takeover and on the back of our worst ever spell in the top-flight post Premiership inception.

At the start of the window we needed a new defence and now we really only need a creative player and some depth for the flanks, what a turn around.

I agree with all of that, not all of the players we've brought in are going to be good players for us, at least I don't expect all of them to do it but so far I've got no complaints.

We've seen all of the major work done and now it's just going to be a bit of fine tuning with a couple of players at a time to improve on the work already done.

At the start of the window I had high hopes but I'm still surprised at how well we've done.  The job isn't finished but at least we now have something to work with instead of a total rebuild.

Guest Knightrider

Another thing that has amazed me is despite being in a big hurry, everything has been planned and done with a great deal of thought and quickly so. I thought to myself if we can sign a top centre-back, maybe a left-back and another midfielder, we'd be doing well. Instead we bought a whole new defence and midfield and if you include Smith as a striker along with Viduka, a new strikeforce too. And we haven't even talked about much needed off the pitch changes to coaching, scouting and fitness personnel or keeping a hold of the likes of Martins and Owen. And to get £8m for Dyer... brilliant.

I probably wanted a good centre-half to help Taylor, and possibly a couple of full-backs to replace Carr and Babayaro.  What we've got has gone far beyond that and the good thing it that Allardyce hasn't just thrown them in without any thought, he's doing his best to make sure thay have everything in place to do well before they are played.  That part of Allardyce's man-management has been top draw stuff, I didn't expect it from him.

Guest Knightrider

Also, you can guarantee every player we've bought he knows all about them, their strengths, their weaknesses, which will hopefully limit the chances of failure among one or two of them. And if one or tow do flop, they won't have cost big money or be on serious wages to hurt us that way ala Luque or Boumsong.

I've rated him for a while and badly wanted him here but Allardyce has exceeded my own expectations and hopes from him this summer while we've made a start I wasn't too sure we would.

This is why I was banging on about him all the time, I think we've got ourselves a brilliant manager capable of even more and hope he and NUFC are a fixture for many a year as that will mean success.

Also, you can guarantee every player we've bought he knows all about them, their strengths, their weaknesses, which will hopefully limit the chances of failure among one or two of them. And if one or tow do flop, they won't have cost big money or be on serious wages to hurt us that way ala Luque or Boumsong.

I've rated him for a while and badly wanted him here but Allardyce has exceeded my own expectations and hopes from him this summer while we've made a start I wasn't too sure we would.

This is why I was banging on about him all the time, I think we've got ourselves a brilliant manager capable of even more and hope he and NUFC are a fixture for many a year as that will mean success.

I'll be interested to see what he does with his formations, the last couple of games have been encouraging for me, he's tried his preferred 4-3-3 and dropped it because it wasn't working.  I think he'll use different formations again but I think he'll have to do more work on the players to get the best out of them.

I'll also be interested to see what happens when he spends big money on individuals, when he will be under pressure to get the best out of players who cost the same as Boumsong and Luque.

He's the boy alright. blueyes.gif

Guest Knightrider

Told yous :)

And the best is yet to come, although there are a few things that we won't like around the corner.

Mick, aye, it will be very interesting to see how he handles a bigger budget and what kind of players he'll go for. I think if the money is available he'll be in for Diouf in January, look to offload Ameobi, will maybe listen to offers for Martins and spend big on a more mobile striker to fill the role Viduka currently occupies in the forward 3.

And the best is yet to come, although there are a few things that we won't like around the corner.

Mick, aye, it will be very interesting to see how he handles a bigger budget and what kind of players he'll go for. I think if the money is available he'll be in for Diouf in January, look to offload Ameobi, will maybe listen to offers for Martins and spend big on a more mobile striker to fill the role Viduka currently occupies in the forward 3.

If I was Allardyce I'd tell my scouts to go out and not come back until they found the next Les Ferdinand and the next Gazza, put them two into our team and we would do really well.

That really is the key to this whole lark.

That really is the key to this whole lark.

Yet you felt the need to belittle the thread I started about exactly that. :knuppel2:

He's no Hitzfeld, though...

Guest Knightrider

:lol:

He's not but he has the ability to be as good a manager as he is, although achieving the levels of success Hitzfeld has will be a tall order for most regardless of their ability. In my defence Big Sam was second on my list to Hitzfeld as ideal managers to take over and I'd have been equally as delighted had we appointed him then as we have done now. I badly wanted Hitzfeld because, well, he has that pedigree few have, that class, but on reflection I'm not so sure he would have been the right man for the job after all, not at that given time anyway, the club was in more mess than we all imagined and for a foreign manager who would bring huge expectations due to his name and CV, that could be a potential minefield. Great manager though and any club worth their salt should aspire towards such managers to lead them. How are Bayern doing btw under him again?

I'm happy with Sam and for once I can say with certainty we have a very very good manager running the show once again which is all that matters.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=nobby-will-be-a-big-miss%26method=full%26objectid=19727004%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Nobby will be a big miss

Sep 3 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Nobby Solano celebrates after scoring a penalty against Liverpool

SAM ALLARDYCE has admitted his summer transfer dealings have had the gloss taken off them by the departure of Nobby Solano.

United fans were shocked when the Chronicle revealed on August 9 that the popular Peruvian wanted to leave St James’ Park for family reasons, and that West Ham were interested in him.

Alan Curbishley finally got his man just before the transfer window closed on Friday, and Solano left St James’ for the second and last time.

He will never be forgotten by United supporters, and he has been a pleasure to deal with from the moment Kenny Dalglish paid Boca Juniors a bargain £2.5m for him in the summer of 1998.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

Solano has served under Ruud Gullit, Sir Bobby Robson, Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder, and it was left to Allardyce to probably speak on behalf of them all by paying tribute to the Peruvian international.

The Chronicle reported on Friday Solano would only be allowed to go if Allardyce recruited Abdoulaye Faye and Habib Beye.

Allardyce told me today: “I am reasonably satisfied at what we have been able to do in the transfer market in the summer.

“The only disappointing one for me was Nobby, but in the end it was the right thing to do.

“He needed to be with his wife and kids, who have moved to London.

“West Ham are a big club as well. He wanted that, and we received a fee for him.

“We had to let it go to the wire because without the two players we got in it could not have happened.”

Big Sam added: “We are all going to miss Nobby around the dressing room, but we will not miss that trumpet of his!”

Solano is off to Lima this week to play for Peru against Colombia and Bolivia.

The midfielder, though, already has one date pencilled in his diary – West Ham’s visit to St James’ Park a fortnight on Sunday.

The other departure on Friday night was Paul Huntington, who joined League One side Leeds United for £500.000.[/Quote]

Didn't realise we got anything for him

He's not but he has the ability to be as good a manager as he is, although achieving the levels of success Hitzfeld has will be a tall order for most regardless of their ability. In my defence Big Sam was second on my list to Hitzfeld as ideal managers to take over and I'd have been equally as delighted had we appointed him then as we have done now. I badly wanted Hitzfeld because, well, he has that pedigree few have, that class, but on reflection I'm not so sure he would have been the right man for the job after all, not at that given time anyway, the club was in more mess than we all imagined and for a foreign manager who would bring huge expectations due to his name and CV, that could be a potential minefield. Great manager though and any club worth their salt should aspire towards such managers to lead them. How are Bayern doing btw under him again?

I'm happy with Sam and for once I can say with certainty we have a very very good manager running the show once again which is all that matters.

Good post, SA is definately the right man imo. Im praying the fans dont get on his back once our honeymoon period is over, It could take a few season for us to see the full effects of what SA is trying to achieve. Villa is a prime example imo last season they started off well but when the honeymoon was over they started to draw a few and even lost a few and Brummie always said he was happy because he could see a vast improvemnet. When we do hit a bad patch and it will happen i think its important that we stick with SA and give him full backing

not sure on the very very good manager thing: he's good enough for us, certainly, at the moment. Beynd that? I really don't know.

Guest Knightrider

not sure on the very very good manager thing: he's good enough for us, certainly, at the moment. Beynd that? I really don't know.

He does tick most boxes and when you sit and analyse what the likes of Mourinho and Rafa are good at - two similar managers in their approach and methods - he is equal in many respects. He lacks their experience and pedigree of course but I'm hoping that will come with managing Newcastle. He certainly has the right tools to prove himself in their company if you like not only within himself but through the club too with our fanbase, finances and untapped potential. I think we have a good one here and he might just be the one. Fingers crossed.

There really are some overly pessimistic people on this forum!

This has got to be the best transfer window I can ever recall us having. As said, we have farmed out a lot of the shit/bad influences and brought in a lot of quality and experience. The first step for us is to get some grit and desire to succeed and work for the team, and we have done that in this window. I agree that we could have done with bringing in a creative central midfielder , but I think that is way down the list of priorities in comparison to everything else, and when they are fit, Emre and Barton under Allardyce could well provide the creative spark.

I am very satisifed with the window, and when you consider what was required (off the field as well) and the length of time given to achieve it, it makes it all the more impressive.

I honestly cant think of another manager where I would say "yeah, he would have done more than Allardyce has done this window both on and off the field".

He does tick most boxes and when you sit and analyse what the likes of Mourinho and Rafa are good at - two similar managers in their approach and methods - he is equal in many respects. He lacks their experience and pedigree of course but I'm hoping that will come with managing Newcastle. He certainly has the right tools to prove himself in their company if you like not only within himself but through the club too with our fanbase, finances and untapped potential. I think we have a good one here and he might just be the one. Fingers crossed.

definately fingers crossed.

I just get a bit scared whrn the "we'll be 4th now" brigade start.

I can never make my mind up if they are actually tactically ahead of him in overall setting a side out...Mourinho is a big reader of the game...At his best when he is moody mind or when he's just lost his dog.

This transfer window has left us with this:

Given

Carr          Cacapa        Taylor      Enrique

Milner        Butt            Barton    Duff

Viduka      Martins

Owen        Ameobi

N'Zogbia      Emre        Geremi      Smith

Babayaro    Rozehnal    Faye      Beye

Harper

Obviously a couple of weak links but thats still 2 teams that could do well in this league imo.

Guest Knightrider

I can never make my mind up if they are actually tactically ahead of him in overall setting a side out...Mourinho is a big reader of the game...At his best when he is moody mind or when he's just lost his dog.

Match preparation is where it's at and Big Sam is as good as any in that respect and certainly up there with the likes of Mourinho, if not better. Tactically Mourinho is arguably ahead of everyone else during the game, his mind as you say, is very sharp and he reads the game so well. Many a time he alone has affected a result with his tactics, subs or plain old mind games. He's streets ahead of most. However I've always said if you keep being forced into making tactical changes and changes to your lineup during the game then there is a chink in your match preparation. There has been many a time where Mourinho has fielded the wrong starting 11 and started with the wrong tactics and sometimes no amount of changes during the game can reverse that, ala Villa at the weekend.

Match preparation is where it's at and Big Sam is as good as any in that respect and certainly up there with the likes of Mourinho, if not better. Tactically Mourinho is arguably ahead of everyone else during the game, his mind as you say, is very sharp and he reads the game so well. Many a time he alone has affected a result with his tactics, subs or plain old mind games. He's streets ahead of most. However I've always said if you keep being forced into making tactical changes and changes to your lineup during the game then there is a chink in your match preparation. There has been many a time where Mourinho has fielded the wrong starting 11 and started with the wrong tactics and sometimes no amount of changes during the game can reverse that, ala Villa at the weekend.

Its during the match where i think Allardyce is far weaker.