Newcastle United 1-0 Wigan Athletic - 1/9/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

Guest nufc 4 life

Just relieved. Few tactical bungles from Sam but doesn't matter now.

We really lack someone who can be creative and see a pass. THis match was the perfect example of why we will struggle to put teams away.

If we had 20+ chances I don't think creativity was much of a problem today?

On another day we would have scored 4-5 easily. We definitely created the chances today, it just wasn't falling for anyone. Owen and Taylor scored but got caught offside, through on goal one-on-one Ameobi and Owen both put it wide, Nicky Butt had a couple of brilliant chances.

We're definitely doing something right, we just needed that one goal from Owen to release the pressure of not scoring at SJP. More will follow easily now, I'm sure of it.

Guest fishman09

dunno what peeps are on about?!?!?

we dominated wigan (as we should've)

we could and should have had 4 (without the half chances) but for a pen desicision we should've got, a good goal disallowed, and hitting the bar

we played attacking football that wasn't all long ball, which used the midfield and wings exceptionally well.

struggle to put teams away???...should've been over by half time but for some dodgy decisions..loved it

fish

Guest Ridzuan

Glad that we won,we should have won it with a bigger margin but I couldnt care less.I would absolutely gutted if we didnt win after having so many chances.Kilbane sending off is a doubt for me,Ameobi was rubbish as always,he deserve to play in the championship not the premeirship.Glad to see Owen scoring again and also keeping a clean sheet.Its going to be a long break so I hope the new boys can gel themselves quickly.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Jesus christ, one of the most frustrating matches ive ever watched...

We should have scored 6 or 7 today, without exagerating. Owens wrongly ruled out, Bramble handled for a pen, Taylor hit bar, Owen missed some sitters, Butt missed some good ones, Kirkland made some good saves. But at least we win, and 3pts was a must today.

Harper 6

Taylor 7

Roz 8

Cacapa 7

Zoggy 8

Butt 7

Geremi 8

Smith 7

Milner 8

Owen 6

Viduka 5

Ameobi 5

Martins 8

Pretty much agree except I would give Owen 7. Scored the goal and even though he should have scored more he managed to create many of the chances by making some superb runs.

Harper - 7 not much to do, one great save from a free kick

Taylor - 7 solid defensively

Cacapa - 8 rock

Roz - 8 rock mark II

N'Zog - 8 Good going forward

Butt - 6 wasteful

Geremi - 7

Milner - 8 good, some decent crosses. Dwelled too long on the ball on occasions though.

Owen - 8 Match winning goal, should had scored at least another one.

Viduka - 6 decent, could had distributed the ball better

Smith -  *scratches head* 6? not sure

Subs:

Martins 8 - Much more dangerous than Smith on the right wing, made the goal

Ameobi - 7 6 Was ok

They had everyone behind the ball for literally the entire 2nd half, even ManUtd has trouble breaking down teams that do that, despite having heaps of possession.  I think it's a little harsh on the lads to say it was a poor 2nd half, I thought they did well.  But chances in the first half have got to be finished.

Jesus christ, one of the most frustrating matches ive ever watched...

We should have scored 6 or 7 today, without exagerating. Owens wrongly ruled out, Bramble handled for a pen, Taylor hit bar, Owen missed some sitters, Butt missed some good ones, Kirkland made some good saves. But at least we win, and 3pts was a must today.

Harper 6

Taylor 7

Roz 8

Cacapa 7

Zoggy 8

Butt 7

Geremi 8

Smith 7

Milner 8

Owen 6

Viduka 5

Ameobi 5

Martins 8

Did you watch the game?

I was wondering about that too.. More like:

Harper 7 - very good save from freekick and close header in first half. Looked very assured

Taylor 7 - solid, and almost scored with a header on the bar from a set piece. Also set up Martins for the assist

Roz 7 - solid and effective

Cacapa 7 - solid, but I noticed his defensive headers today sometimes went straight up in the air

Zoggy - 7 solid defensively and full of running, but not too much end product today

Butt 8 - was everywhere, defended, tackled, crossed, shot and almost scored from a a header

Geremi 7 - worked hard and kept possession well, but not too much going forward

Smith 6 - worked hard, but did not create much and didn't put any crosses in from the wide right

Milner 7 - a lot of effot, some decent crosses, a typical Milner display

Owen 8 - made some good runs, missed a few chances, but ended up scoring the winner

Viduka 7 - good through headers and layoffs in the first half

Ameobi 6 - did decent, should have scored when he was through

Martins 7 - worked hard and put in an excellent cross to assist Owen

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

11 vs 11 we were really good in the first half. Difficult to say much about the second half because Kilbane was sent off. Play Owen and Martins up front next time! :) 

Just got back from the game.

I think it was a massive win, a draw against ten man wigan would have been awful and the doom merchants would have been at it until Derby. It was a frustrating match which we dominated and should have won comfortably.

Not quite sure why the Roz got the sponsors man of the match. Him and Cacapa played well enough but hardly had anything to do against a non existant Wigan attacking unit.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on the sending off??  I was up with the Gods in level 7 and it just looked like a clash of heads from there.

Based on Mick Lowe's and John Anderson's remarks (ie probably way out):

Harper 8

Taylor 7

Rozehnal 8

Cacapa 8

N'Zogbia 9

Smith 5

Milner 6

Geremi 6

Butt 7

Owen 7

Viduka 6

Shola 6

Martins 7

5 for Smith?

That's ridiculous. He did ok today, nth wrong, just unable to make sth spectacular.

I think it was a massive win, a draw against ten man wigan would have been awful and the doom merchants would have been at it until Derby. It was a frustrating match which we dominated and should have won comfortably.

Not quite sure why the Roz got the sponsors man of the match. Him and Cacapa played well enough but hardly had anything to do against a non existant Wigan attacking unit.

Can anyone give me the lowdown on the sending off??  I was up with the Gods in level 7 and it just looked like a clash of heads from there.

Pretty much had a 3 yard run up, a two yard jump to headbutt Smith on the back of his head.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Can anyone give me the lowdown on the sending off??  I was up with the Gods in level 7 and it just looked like a clash of heads from there.

Pretty much had a 3 yard run up, a two yard jump to headbutt Smith on the back of his head.

I'll still say that it was a bit harsh. I was really suprised when the red card was shown!