Newcastle United 1-0 Wigan Athletic - 1/9/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

Guest nufc 4 life

Owen really showed his class today. Bounced back from a couple of misses to bag the winner when the crowd was cranking up the presuure. Just like Shearer so many times before, he made it count when it mattered.

Guest michaelfoster

Can i ask does anyone know who the physios & club doctor are this year? I didnt recognise two guys who ran on with Derek Wright?

Anyone know?

Can i ask does anyone know who the physios & club doctor are this year? I didnt recognise two guys who ran on with Derek Wright?

Anyone know?

Tbh, is it massively important??

TBF i think we created a lot today we just couldnt finish,

True enough, but there was still a few occasions where we were going around in circles in the midfield and I felt that a more creative player could have opened up an opportunity a hell of a lot quicker. Smith and Butt don't see the pass, more often than not, and whilst Geremi sometimes does, he's often a little slow to deliver it.

Again, it might come in time once the new players start to gel, but it's definitely an issue at the moment.

Guest michaelfoster

Anyone know?

Tbh, is it massively important??

Possibly ;)

Guest shagthefluff

thought ca-shapa was outstanding today.was sat in the gallowgate and he kept the zog holding a good line as well. The Defence is the first thing that needs to be sorted when building a new team and that is exactly what sam has started to do.im delighted with the start to the season. :clap: :clap2:

will be ery interesting to see sams next starting 11 v derby

Guest RealGeordie

Completely deserved win. Was glad to see Owen score, important for him, NUFC and England. Our defence today again impressive.  O0 Cacapa and Taylor were absolutely great!

Now really looking forward to the Derby game...A win there and we would have a perfect start into this season!

We need to sort out the midfield for home games; we were again slow, narrow & predictable & therefore too easy to defend against. Better teams will find it too easy. A midfield 3 of Geremi, Butt & Smith can not last at home. They will be hard to break down away from home but can not hurt away teams at home.

Martins made a hell of a difference & I believe he would have given Bramble a nightmare had he started. 442 for me at home from what I've seen so far would be a better formation. Get Zog in there.

Hopefully the goal will sort Owen out; 2 shocking misses in the 1st half & an incorrectly ruled out off-side goal must have affected him.

allardyce very nearly cost us 2 points there.

alan smith normally plays through the middle,geremi has normally played wide either as a midfielder or full back,neither one is very creative however smith is more likely to follow in on secand balls. then when they go down to 10 men he insisits on keeping milner and n'zogbia on the same side instead of splitting them,maybe even going to 3 at the back, and having attacking impetus down both sides.

we look very solid at the back mind!

Guest WalkervilleMag

alan smith normally plays through the middle,geremi has normally played wide either as a midfielder or full back,neither one is very creative however smith is more likely to follow in on secand balls. then when they go down to 10 men he insisits on keeping milner and n'zogbia on the same side instead of splitting them,maybe even going to 3 at the back, and having attacking impetus down both sides.

was bad finishing that almost cost us,  nothing to do with Big Sams tactics

Guest Knightrider

I agree the tactics during the game weren't the best, but then tactics are a funny thing, they can go in your favour or against you even when introduced.

Shows nerve to stick to your guns when the other team go down to ten men. Must be so tempting to sacrifice a defensive player for another forward, especially when you haven't broke the deadlock with nearly five minutes to go, and you've got a sub left. Butt was a liability though and wouldn't have been missed.

Agree or disagree with his methods, but at least he does appear to have a plan.