What is Smith's best position?

Guest toonlass
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just behind the strikers or as a striker, but definately not at right wing or defensive midfielder. But as someone said, can't really complain too much since he's been playing out of position in every game so far and he hasn't been that bad (exceot yesterday, but his positioning was humiliating to him).

Guest Geordie Boyo

He's there to support the forwards & support the midfield, a bit like Dyer, but without the pace.  What he lacks in pace he adds in strength on the ball a great link-up play. You could say he's a utility player, but he works best in that Paul Scholes role, just as Geremi plays his best football in that holding role a bit further down the field. Would be nice if he could score goals like Scholes does, but then again, nither did Dyer.

He's a squad player, as people say. An option up front, or in midfield, but plays his best football playing ahead of the midfield with the option of dropping back or supporting the forwards up front.

It's Alan Smith who gets the nod ahead of Martins, because of his work rate. If Martins starts banging in goals every time he comes off the bench that could soon change, but either player add strength for back-up.

Viduka & Owen are our main strikers. Smith could soon lose out now that we have more strength in midfield in Faye, & Barton coming back from injury around mid September. Viduka provides better support for Owen. Shola & Martins tend to link-up well too.

Owen      Viduka

Zoggy      Barton      Geremi      Milner

Enrique  Rozehnal  Cacapa        Beye

Given

Subs:

Harper/Forster

Taylor/Edgar

Duff/Faye

Smith/Butt

Martins/Shola

He'll obviously be on the bench once Barton is fit anyway.

Smith was very unnecessary signing.  We needed a creative attacking midfielder, Smith isn't that.

I disagree with the first part but agree with the second. :lol:

Smith is a great player for the squad in the sense that he is one of those wonderful players who carries with him a winning mentality. Something there has been a real lack of in our squad for some time, the more of these players that are around the better - infact Geremi is another. When Barton returns I would drop Smith and play Milner on the right and Barton and Geremi in the middle with Zoggy on the left. IMO we can't play Smith/Geremi/Butt all together, wherever Smith plays -  to have those three all in midfield is too defensive and lacks flexibility and genuine thought about the attacking phase....Defensively it's fantastic and one of the main reasons we remain unbeaten. If you get past Smith on the right you're faced with Geremi or Butt covering and you're knackered getting past smudgers first tackle and second 'lunge'  :lol: .

Smith for me gives us many options and will again come into his own as the ACN starts. I don't think wide right is the place for him, I would play him in midfield just ahead of two covering DM's with license to run into the box and kick a few players and the ball if he gets near it.

My striking starting pair has always been Owen and Martins and I'd bring Smudger on if he is on the bench for one of these two with 15 min to go.

Too early to tell really, but I can see what people are saying about him, but don't underestimate him he will prove you all wrong and in a fight I'm on his side. :razz:

Smith as the new player to toss shit at, give me a break! He brings grit, hard work, decent passing and inspires other with his will to win. For me good enough to be a starter in the CM in a 4 - 3 - 3 formation. With two proper wingers playing out wide with Viduka in the middle I think he would look good. The whole midfield trio suffers a bit from being to similar players, with Barton back and a midfield of Smith Geremi Barton it will get better.

Smith as the new player to toss shit at, give me a break! He brings grit, hard work, decent passing and inspires other with his will to win. For me good enough to be a starter in the CM in a 4 - 3 - 3 formation. With two proper wingers playing out wide with Viduka in the middle I think he would look good. The whole midfield trio suffers a bit from being to similar players, with Barton back and a midfield of Smith Geremi Barton it will get better.

:lol:

you've never seen him play in midfield, have you.

I stomped my feet at the thought of signing him, and so far he's proven me right, he's simply a nothing player with a good work rate.

Too early to jump on him yet though, like i said then, he's got my support while playing for us.

He's got a season to impress and prove himself, if not i think we should move him on in the summer.

I stomped my feet at the thought of signing him, and so far he's proven me right, he's simply a nothing player with a good work rate.

Too early to jump on him yet though, like i said then, he's got my support while playing for us.

He's got a season to impress and prove himself, if not i think we should move him on in the summer.

Sensible approach TT.

Sensible approach TT.

I don't think anyone's against him at the game, however he is an average player and a fucking shite midfielder too, what anyone see's in him to think he's good enough I don't know.

£6 million down the drain.

Man U destroyed him as a player for me. If he came to us in the first place he could have been a prolific striker and lived up to his promise.

I think Smith is a welcome addition to the squad in terms of depth, versatility and the fact I think he's not a bad player. But he's not a player we really needed and not at the expense of a winger, which has become the weakest part of the squad.

As has been pointed out before, he could come in very handy when the African Nations Cup comes around, as any or all of Martins, Geremi, Faye and Beye could be gone for a month. I do think he'll come in handy as a utility player for any injuries which arise in midfield or up front and I think coming off the bench he could help us close out a game. If, say, we had a tight lead against Man Utd with 30 mins to go he'd be an excellent option to bring off the bench to try and close the game.

But I don't think he deserves a starting place in any position on current form.

If we were 1-0 up against Man Utd and wanted to keep it tight, Smith would be one player I wouldn't want to bring on with the amount of needless free kicks he gives away.

Come to think of it you're probably right. But in situations like that cynical little fouls are what's needed to stop a better team from getting any sort of momentum. Celtic do it all the time in Europe, and Allardyce's Bolton did it to Arsenal all the time. Smith's problem, as you rightly suggest, would be his big all-or-nothing tackles.

Man U destroyed him as a player for me. If he came to us in the first place he could have been a prolific striker and lived up to his promise.

He has never really been prolific, I don't think ManU can be blamed for that tbf.

Sensible approach TT.

Its just a hangover, it will be over soon and i wont do it again.

:laugh: