Steve Harper

Guest SLK

Both good shot stoppers

With them being goalkeepers you would hope so.

I wonder if some managers have ever dropped a keeper who is a good shot stopper, because the other keeper is excellent at catching crosses but is very poor at shot stopping.

Don't see how he can be dropped. What kind of message would it send out? 'Doesn't matter how well you're playing, I'll pick the better players regardless'?

FYP. Harper's playing well but Given will play better. We've been in this situation several times before over the past ten years.

Don't see how he can be dropped. What kind of message would it send out? 'Doesn't matter how well you're playing, I'll pick the established players regardless'?

That's what happened last season and look how we struggled.

Don't see how he can be dropped. What kind of message would it send out? 'Doesn't matter how well you're playing, I'll pick the established players regardless'?

Yeah! Proving my point in my previous post, people were asking this exact same question when Given was injured last season.

Exactly Mick I agree.

I think it's different for goalkeepers. There needs to be continuity so a relationship between the defence and the keeper is established. I'd feel much better if it was Given who's first choice. Harper's kicking is frustrating and dodgy and like someone's mentioned, he won't make the saves Shay will make (like the Anelka goal, which I reckon Given would have saved).

I think it's different for goalkeepers. There needs to be continuity so a relationship between the defence and the keeper is established. I'd feel much better if it was Given who's first choice. Harper's kicking is frustrating and dodgy and like someone's mentioned, he won't make the saves Shay will make (like the Anelka goal, which I reckon Given would have saved).

Given kicks no better than Harper, if we're going to pick up on individual mistakes, they both make them.  I don't see a lot of difference between the two keepers when they've both had a good run of games.  I like both keepers but would reward Harper because he hasn't let us down, he deserves games more than anybody else at our club.

Both of them are s**** at saving long shots.

what utter bullshit :lol:

It is the weakest part of Shays game for me.  

I would say the weakest part of his game is command of the box and kicking.

As someone said, if you want an example of a keeper who is poor with long shots look at Robinson!

Guest Kenton Magpie

If Harper had any real ambition he would have packed his bags and upped sticks long ago instead of sitting in Shay's shadow

Harpers ambition might be to play regularly for Newcastle, how would packing his bags help him achieve that?

How? it isn’t a hard one to come up with an answer for, if he makes a move to another club which will require him to pack his bags he is going to get far more games under his belt than he is living under the Messiah's shadow

see that word that starts with "N" and ends with "castle"? obviously not.

IMO it should be done by overall form in training and matches. If harper has 1 bad game but overall has been playing very well, and has been doing just as good as shay in training, he plays.

Are you trying to insult my intelligence? If you are well done! Because I cannot see what you are driving at by the bit in bold above…

If Harper had any real ambition he would have packed his bags and upped sticks long ago instead of sitting in Shay's shadow

Harpers ambition might be to play regularly for Newcastle, how would packing his bags help him achieve that?

How? it isn’t a hard one to come up with an answer for, if he makes a move to another club which will require him to pack his bags he is going to get far more games under his belt than he is living under the Messiah's shadow

IMO it should be done by overall form in training and matches. If harper has 1 bad game but overall has been playing very well, and has been doing just as good as shay in training, he plays.

Are you trying to insult my intelligence? If you are well done! Because I cannot see what you are driving at by the bit in bold above…

See the bit in bold, Ariel, blue and underlined.

Aren't we lucky to have 2 such good keepers that we can actually debate who should have the shirt!?

For me Harps has done nothing wrong this season, in fact he's made a couple of superb saves, and should keep the shirt if Sam wants to send out the right signals to the rest of the squad that reputations don't matter, it's performances that count.

Aren't we lucky to have 2 such good keepers that we can actually debate who should have the shirt!?

For me Harps has done nothing wrong this season, in fact he's made a couple of superb saves, and should keep the shirt if Sam wants to send out the right signals to the rest of the squad that reputations don't matter, it's performances that count.

I agree with all of that.

I always believed going back to the Gulliet days and early SBR times that Steve Harper was and still is as good as Shay Given and there is nothing between them in terms of goal keeping skills. The only advantage Given has over Harper is that he has more first team experience which is NOT Harper's fault as I think Harper could have been England number one had he played all these years instead of Given...

So after 3 premiere league games and 1 FA cup game and three goals conceded which I think he wasn't at fault for any of them, do you think he should keep his place in the team and it is his shirt to loose ? If it was up to me I would keep Harper in as I think this is how you reward players for there good performance...

Good on ya Harper, take that jersey from that crap Robinson and show everyone who good you are...  :clap2:

Go give your head a wobble.

Guest Kenton Magpie

See the bit in bold, Ariel, blue and underlined.

I know it, you know it, my local postman knows it and the father of joe bloggs knows that Harper isnt going to keep Given out of the team when both are fit so why doesnt he just make a move that will benefit him in the short and long term future?

I know it, you know it, my local postman knows it and the father of joe bloggs knows that Harper isnt going to keep Given out of the team when both are fit so why doesnt he just make a move that will benefit him in the short and long term future?

I don't know his reason for not moving on but I wouldn't want to move if I was doing what he's doing.

Never rated Harper, but I have got to give him credit, because IMO at the moment he doesn't deserve to be dropped. Shay was off his game last season (as were most of the team), so until Harps plays badly, he should keep the jersey, and make Shay get out of his comfort zone.

Just wish he would have a bit more urgency getting the ball upfield. :frantic: