Steve Harper

Guest SLK

Guest prestonj1989

I agree Harper has played well recently but Given is by far the better goalkeeper. i think he is even one of the best in the premiership. My top three GK's in prem:

1) Reina

2) Cech

3) Given

Harper is a very good keeper but Given is different class!Given is much quicker coming off his line as well,I wouldnt blame Harper for Mido the Paedos goal but I think Given would have being off his line much quicker and would have made a better attempt than harper did!You should pick your strongest 11 regardless!

Guest KeithKettleborough

I was shocked that Given wasn't back in on Saturday, as it had happened for many years whenever he was out. Good for Sam for continuing with Harper when the lad is doing well. Given almost seemed to have some sort of hold over previous managers and they seemed scared to leave him out.

This was demonstrated a few years ago when Harper had been on the bench all season. The final game was at West Brom. They were relegated, we had confirmed our place (maybe 3rd) but who was on the bench, yes Harper again. Nothing at stake, end of season game but Shay had to play and I really felt seeing a disappointed Harper that day, that he would be off somewhere. But he stays and seems to show little ambition, as he would have been first choice in many premiere teams and maybe even England squad.

It won't do Given any harm to sit out a bit but if it goes on much more, he may be wanting away. Though possibility of a lucrative testimonial, may convince him to stay on, no matter how many games Harper plays.

I was shocked that Given wasn't back in on Saturday, as it had happened for many years whenever he was out. Good for Sam for continuing with Harper when the lad is doing well. Given almost seemed to have some sort of hold over previous managers and they seemed scared to leave him out.

This was demonstrated a few years ago when Harper had been on the bench all season. The final game was at West Brom. They were relegated, we had confirmed our place (maybe 3rd) but who was on the bench, yes Harper again. Nothing at stake, end of season game but Shay had to play and I really felt seeing a disappointed Harper that day, that he would be off somewhere. But he stays and seems to show little ambition, as he would have been first choice in many premiere teams and maybe even England squad.

It won't do Given any harm to sit out a bit but if it goes on much more, he may be wanting away. Though possibility of a lucrative testimonial, may convince him to stay on, no matter how many games Harper plays.

Ehh???, Given is going to hang around solely for a testimonial?

No chance, if Given loses his number one position he will be out of here. He stuck by us in recent seasons when he has had continuous s**** play in front of him. He deserved to be playing at a team far more successful than us.

You should always play your best goalkeeper in important competitive games. That's why when he is fit he should be in the team.

Would it have done Shearer any harm to have left him out of our team when he was in his prime?

Guest Oz Toon

Maybe Sam is just making sure he is properly fit, giving him extra time to strengthen, Given previous injuries.

One of the things I have been impressed with is Sam's patience with getting players right before he puts them in. He certainly seems methodical in these areas and won't be rushed or pressured by the fans or players themselves.

I agree KK - back in 99, I thought Given went through a really bad spell and at that time, Harper should have been in the side.

We have been very lucky to have 2 good keepers over the past 9 years - Given is probably better at reaction saves when the ball is hit close in, but I think Harper has the edge on commanding the area - the defenders know he will come out for a cross, whereas sometimes Shay is hesitant.

Harper always looks less flustered and the only time he has really made a bad mistake was at Anfield - even then, it was a flukey bounce of the ball that wrong-footed him..

They are BOTH decent keepers and I reckon Sam will not drop Harper until he makes some bad errors - as with the defence, we need competition for places to keep players on their toes.

Guest Reservoir Mags

Personally I'm more than happy with Harper in goal whilst Shay is injured.  Assuming both were fully fit I would give the edge to Shay based on experience.  Comments relating to Harper's poor form at times last season could so easily be put down to the general malaise around the club where no-one was really giving it 100%.  In the current set up and on the evidence so far this season Harper has barely put a foot wrong and is playing with more confidence.

In respect of the England set-up it could be argued that the 2 best English keepers were on the field on Saturday at St James.  I would pick either of them over Robinson or James myself.

I agree KK - back in 99, I thought Given went through a really bad spell and at that time, Harper should have been in the side.

We have been very lucky to have 2 good keepers over the past 9 years - Given is probably better at reaction saves when the ball is hit close in, but I think Harper has the edge on commanding the area - the defenders know he will come out for a cross, whereas sometimes Shay is hesitant.

Harper always looks less flustered and the only time he has really made a bad mistake was at Anfield - even then, it was a flukey bounce of the ball that wrong-footed him..

They are BOTH decent keepers and I reckon Sam will not drop Harper until he makes some bad errors - as with the defence, we need competition for places to keep players on their toes.

Harper made a balls in one of the europeon games as well if i remember correctly. Thought Harper looked very dodgy last year, probably alot to do with not playing many games but still he didnt inspire confidence last season.

Shay is the better keeper, but it will be interesting to see how Sam deals with this situation.

Given is still no.1 for me, but Harps has done nothing wrong and therefore should not lose his place. Its not like Steve Harper woulden't do the same for Shay!! He'd done it for years now and he was certainly good enough to be no. 1 himself. Shay Given is still the better of the two tho for me, especially now.

I agree Harper has played well recently but Given is by far the better goalkeeper. i think he is even one of the best in the premiership. My top three GK's in prem:

1) Reina

2) Cech

3) Given

Given's better imo than Reina or Cech.

1) Reina

2) Cech

3) Given

Given's better imo than Reina or Cech.

he's not, but its always good ot have that belief in your own players.

Harper is playing behind a better defence than Givens had in years plus Harper hasnt really been tested against any of the top teams this season yet. Givens been arguably our best player for a few seasons now and 1 of the best shot stoppers around. Better than Harper.

Guest optimistic nit

Both of them are s**** at saving long shots.

what utter bullshit :lol:

It is the weakest part of Shays game for me.  

imo its one of the strongest parts of his game. gejon mentions two of his weak points. i also think he struggles on 1 on 1's occasionally.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=479998&in_page_id=1779

Given aiming for Allardyce showdown

Last updated at 00:39am on 5th September 2007

Newcastle's Shay Given will have showdown talks with Toon boss Sam Allardyce when he returns from international duty next week.

The Ireland goalkeeper, who will earn his 81st cap against Slovakia on Saturday, returned after groin injury in the Carling Cup on Wednesday but Steve Harper was recalled for Saturday's Premier League win over Wigan.

Given, 31, said: "I've gone away with Ireland so I haven't had time to chat with him but I'll have to do that when I get back after these games."

Hehehe...I don't want

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=479998&in_page_id=1779

Given aiming for Allardyce showdown

Last updated at 00:39am on 5th September 2007

Newcastle's Shay Given will have showdown talks with Toon boss Sam Allardyce when he returns from international duty next week.

The Ireland goalkeeper, who will earn his 81st cap against Slovakia on Saturday, returned after groin injury in the Carling Cup on Wednesday but Steve Harper was recalled for Saturday's Premier League win over Wigan.

Given, 31, said: "I've gone away with Ireland so I haven't had time to chat with him but I'll have to do that when I get back after these games."

I don't want to say "I told you so..."

Really bad behaviour from Given if this is true - he has had a really good run in the side in past years, and just because he's currently out of the side, he's spitting the dummy out ; DEPLORABLE !

What gives him the right to dictate team selection ? We have now got a selection problem of the best sort in defence - presumably, Beye, Faye, Capaca , Enrique & Rozy didn't sign for Sam with the proviso that they 'MUST' be in the team..

I would recall Krul asap, and put Given on the list if he makes waves about this - really selfish attitude when we are building a good squad/team spirit.