James Milner - Good enough for Newcastle or not?

thomas
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A sound squad player but this is someone we need to improve upon as a first choice if we are to get to where we want to be.

Well said, long term we should be looking to improve on him.

there's others needing replaced in the shorter term, though. One thing at a time, i reckon. If the likes of Smith etc were as good as Milner, we'd be a better side.

Spot on.

A sound squad player but this is someone we need to improve upon as a first choice if we are to get to where we want to be.

Is the right answer

Is the right answer

I don't think he's maximised his potential, yet. I think he'll still get a fair bit better.

Well said, long term we should be looking to improve on him.

there's others needing replaced in the shorter term, though. One thing at a time, i reckon. If the likes of Smith etc were as good as Milner, we'd be a better side.

Spot on.

Name these first team positions we should be looking to fill first.

I hope all you mongs posting "WELL OF COURSE HE'S GOOD ENOUGH, SHITE QUESTION REALLY" will come out in defense of the lad in future threads where he's being slated.  It's your silence the first time around that led to this poll. 

If I were his coach I'd point to David Beckham and Joe Cole as two players not blessed with pace

Joe Cole has NO pace  :kasper:

If Joe Cole has no pace then what is Milner in comparison ? A tortoise !!! mackems.gif

Milner is good enough for us because we are NOT a top 4 team...Do anyone of you (including the ones wearing NUFC tinted glasses) think that Milner would be in the starting IX of Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea or Liverpool ?

Honestly...wake up guys...

Milner is good enough for us because we are NOT a top 4 team...Do anyone of you (including the ones wearing NUFC tinted glasses) think that Milner would be in the starting IX of Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea or Liverpool ?

How many of our team would get in the starting 11 of those clubs mentioned? Not many.

How many of our team would get in the starting 11 of those clubs mentioned? Not many.

Milner's a better player than Pennant IMO...

imo viduka, cacappa and butt before we need to replace milner.

i agree and replace them with adriano, cris, and alou diarra. we'd be set! go get em' in january or next summer sam!!!

Can you name these first team positions we should be looking to improve on before looking to replace Milner out on the right, Gejon? A creative midfielder and...?

I'd say an attacking midfielder (ground breaking statement that, even when you consider the return of barton).

Any where in the front 6 - someone else with pace other than Martins and to some extent zog.

Maybe dm - Geremi and butt are fine for a top 7 side but if we want to break into the top 4 with this system we need to improve.

The wings could improve but allardyce isn't too bothered with playing old school 442 (even when he plays 442) so it might be pointless.

Edit: Can't comment on the defence until I've seen our 1st choice back 4 over a few games.  Cacapa and rozehnal have been class if Enrique and Beye are the same then no changes there needed.

Can you name these first team positions we should be looking to improve on before looking to replace Milner out on the right, Gejon? A creative midfielder and...?

A defensive midfielder - Milner has been better than Geremi or Butt so far. Also a striker - Milner has been better than Viduka.

Milner is average with the potential to improve, exactly how much remains to be seen. If we want to challenge NOW he can be improved upon.

Exactly, it's the same as what we've done with Taylor and the centre back position.

Milner is average with the potential to improve, exactly how much remains to be seen. If we want to challenge NOW he can be improved upon.

If we wanted to improve that much NOW I think we would have signed a better player than Smith.

Milner's good enough for newcastle now, yes. Until we have two right wingers better than him, he'll be good enough in my eyes. And, when thinking about two better wingers, allow for the fact that milner will get better, and will probably end his career playing in a box  to box midfield role