James Milner - Good enough for Newcastle or not?

thomas
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Alan Shearer 9

ASTON VILLA IS NOT A WINNER

They did canny today like!

And I value MON's opinion over yours anyday!!!

Matin O'Neill is not a winner. Martins is a winner. So is Barton actually.

Out of curiosity - what are Milners stats like compared to other premiership clubs right wingers?

If he was 7th in the premiership with Aston Villa, I'd assume he'd be better than that with us... Though he was playing under Roeder, I think Allardyce will make him a lot better. :)

When you look at the question "Milner good enough for Newcastle" the sorry answer is yes

ive said this before ...Milner is an averasge player.....not a loser but hes definately not a winner either

Newcastle need winners...Milner isn't

Bartons a winner

Martins a winner

Givens a winner

There are one or two more approaching this status but Milner, dont make me laugh

In fact when you look at it coldly Newcastle are still pretty much bereft of high quality

Milner was touted around for sale at the start of last season....NO INTEREST

Grt the rose tinted off for christs sake, theres a difference between being positive and being blind faithful.

FACT..NOBODY WANTED TO BUY MILNER AT 5 MILLION..  simple as that

good enough for Newcastle, very sorry to say yes

:lol: What the fuck or you on about? :lol:

Guest Knightrider

I will tell you why James Milner will continue to develop and have an impact for Newcastle or whatever side he plays for, despite his limitations physically.

Because he has a footballing brain and when you apply that to work rate, stamina and excellent footwork and key ball skills, then it is only a matter of fine tuning and finding a niche for yourself within the team to start showing your class on a consistent basis which he is already showing promising signs of doing and with many years ahead of him to develop and progress further.

It would be a real shame if there is no room at the top of the game for players with undoubted technique on the ball due to any lack of pace which let me remind people hasn't prevented him from getting past his man.

If I were his coach I'd point to David Beckham and Joe Cole as two players not blessed with pace who have both developed their games to a high standard and created a niche in the game for themselves due to their footballing intelligence, work rate, stamina and technique - things Milner possesses.

Whether he has that drive and obsessive compulsion to keep improving every aspect of his game and gets the kind of chance and share of luck those two got remains to be seen.

If he does then why can't he play at the top end of the game for club and country.

Some people take things so literally.....

It's obvious that the term "winner" is being used here to denote a person who appears to have a "winning mentality," not someone who has a shed load of medals. Football is a team game, even a squad game now, it's possible for an individual to be considered a "winner" in terms of their mentality but who may not have actually won a trophy. FS appears to be bringing that type of character to the club and the more the better, when it gets to the big games we may see them all turn up because it takes ability and character.

I will tell you why James Milner will continue to develop and have an impact for Newcastle or whatever side he plays for, despite his limitations physically.

Because he has a footballing brain and when you apply that to work rate, stamina and excellent footwork and key ball skills, then it is only a matter of fine tuning and finding a niche for yourself within the team to start showing your class on a consistent basis which he is already showing promising signs of doing and with many years ahead of him to develop and progress further.

It would be a real shame if there is no room at the top of the game for players with undoubted technique on the ball due to any lack of pace which let me remind people hasn't prevented him from getting past his man.

If I were his coach I'd point to David Beckham and Joe Cole as two players not blessed with pace who have both developed their games to a high standard and created a niche in the game for themselves due to their footballing intelligence, work rate, stamina and technique - things Milner possesses.

Whether he has that drive and obsessive compulsion to keep improving every aspect of his game and gets the kind of chance and share of luck those two got remains to be seen.

If he does then why can't he play at the top end of the game for club and country.

Couldn't have said it better myself :thup:

Guest sicko2ndbest

Milner is not explosive like Agbonlahor, Messi, Lennon, but what he does have is fantastic ability on the ball. He is the most 2 footed player in our team (i include Oba in this because Milner is more consistent), which is just as good as having pace, as it is no good the defender trying to put him on his 'weaker' foot, as they would Duff

His crossing is good with both feet, although he dos favour getting back onto his right which sometimes hinders our strikers as they would like the ball in earlier.

He has a hammer of a shot with both feet, particularly his right.

He is one of the fittest stamina wise.

He is not injury prone (touches head!)

There is not much to choose between him and Bentley for me. The only thing Bentley has that Milner dosnt is a cockyness which means he expresses himself more on the field, hence gets noticed more

It's obvious that the term "winner" is being used here to denote a person who appears to have a "winning mentality," not someone who has a shed load of medals. Football is a team game, even a squad game now, it's possible for an individual to be considered a "winner" in terms of their mentality but who may not have actually won a trophy. FS appears to be bringing that type of character to the club and the more the better, when it gets to the big games we may see them all turn up because it takes ability and character.

I was taking the piss with the winner thing, Milner has had to put up with more than most of our player from our previous two managers, first Souness told us that we'd not win anything with a team of James Milner's, that must have been a right kick in the balls for him, no matter how it was meant.  Then Roeder tried to peddle him to Villa yet at no time has he let any of that get to him, he's just got his head down and battled on.  He's got loads of bottle from what I can see and it he retains it then he can go on to become a very good footballer for us, he's not fast but niether was Nobby and he was one of the best right wingers I've ever seen play for Newcastle, if not the best.

Milner looks our most creative player at the moment and for a winger does more than his fair share of defensive work. On form he's one of the first names on the teamsheet right now for me. The fact Villa doubled up on him and Boro kicked lumps out of him shows that teams are afraid of him.

If he gets injured we'll have problems.

Guest Knightrider

Milner is now at the age where he will have to start becoming very selfish and not allow others to push him around, and I'm talking about the manager and coaching staff here. Sometimes when you have a versatile player who will graft his balls off for the cause regardless of where he's asked to play it can become easy and almost second nature for the manager to take that for granted and to basically use that player, to the complete detriment of that player's own individual game. We have seen it happen to Alan Smith and maybe even Shola Ameobi who ought to have handed in a transfer request ages ago or asked and asked again to be played up front and given a chance, instead of meekly accepting the manager's decision as final.

If Milner is continued to be "used" by the manager for the benefit of the team and not the benefit of James Milner he will never escape his current lot, and won't develop beyond his game today which I personally think would be a great shame for someone so obviously talented technically.

Milner is now at the age where he will have to start becoming very selfish and not allow others to push him around, and I'm talking about the manager and coaching staff here. Sometimes when you have a versatile player who will graft his balls off for the cause regardless of where he's asked to play it can become easy and almost second nature for the manager to take that for granted and to basically use that player, to the complete detriment of that player's own individual game. We have seen it happen to Alan Smith and maybe even Shola Ameobi who ought to have handed in a transfer request ages ago or asked and asked again to be played up front and given a chance, instead of meekly accepting the manager's decision as final.

If Milner is continued to be "used" by the manager for the benefit of the team and not the benefit of James Milner he will never escape his current lot, and won't develop beyond his game today which I personally think would be a great shame for someone so obviously talented technically.

I would have thought that whatever was best for James Milner would also be best for the team.

Guest POWNATS

I was taking the piss with the winner thing, Milner has had to put up with more than most of our player from our previous two managers, first Souness told us that we'd not win anything with a team of James Milner's, that must have been a right kick in the balls for him, no matter how it was meant.  Then Roeder tried to peddle him to Villa yet at no time has he let any of that get to him, he's just got his head down and battled on.  He's got loads of bottle from what I can see and it he retains it then he can go on to become a very good footballer for us, he's not fast but niether was Nobby and he was one of the best right wingers I've ever seen play for Newcastle, if not the best.

lol

Guest POWNATS

When you look at the question "Milner good enough for Newcastle" the sorry answer is yes

ive said this before ...Milner is an averasge player.....not a loser but hes definately not a winner either

Bartons a winner

Martins a winner

Givens a winner

There are one or two more approaching this status but Milner, dont make me laugh

In fact when you look at it coldly Newcastle are still pretty much bereft of high quality

Grt the rose tinted off for christs sake, theres a difference between being positive and being blind faithful.

What an awful, awful post.

sorry but the truth can hurt

get a hug from your mum

Bartons a winner

Martins a winner

Givens a winner

get a hug from your mum

Nah, he's right, mate. One of the worst we've had on here in ages.

Guest loonietoonie

Seen enough of this in thread after thread and I want to know where the majority sit with this. 

So say it.  Good enough or not.  Myself I say Good Enough. 

are you on drugs mate?

Bartons a winner

Martins a winner

Givens a winner

get a hug from your mum

The truth can hurt can it?

Ok, here's a truth for you. Someone, namely Aston Villa, did want to buy James Milner for £5,000,000. Pick up a couple of paracetamol for the pain on the way out.

Seen enough of this in thread after thread and I want to know where the majority sit with this. 

So say it.  Good enough or not.  Myself I say Good Enough. 

are you on drugs mate?

The hell kind of question is that? 

Thread after thread has been derailed with people arguing about it for the past month.  Now I'm happy that you telepathically knew the vast majority felt he was good enough but I can only go by what I read and what I read was about 50/50.  I wanted it cleared up. 

t(' ' t)

No comment! :lol:

Seriously though I am quite surprised at the result of the poll so far. As someone said it must be a vocal minority that are ALWAYS having a dig at Milner whether or not the current topic of conversation is about Milner.

He can be frustrating but name me a winger who isn't. Now this is an example of a top class player who frustrated his fans so I AM NOT COMPARING HIM TO MILNER but it wasn't long ago quite a few ManU fans were getting very frustrated at Ronaldo for showboating and fannying about with the ball too much. Even Zoggy frustrates some when he tries to take on that one man too many. People just seem to highlight (to an extreme) the frustrating things in Milners play to try and prove a point.

As a few have said he is one of our best players, I wont say he is currently our most creative player at the moment as N'Zog is doing very well from left back but he is one of our most creative players and often the only outlet on the wing.

If we want to push top 4 we really would need someone better than Milner but we would also need better players pretty much all across the pitch.