James Milner - Good enough for Newcastle or not?

thomas
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Milner is average with the potential to improve, exactly how much remains to be seen. If we want to challenge NOW he can be improved upon.

Exactly, it's the same as what we've done with Taylor and the centre back position.

precisely, milner is about as good a winger as taylor is a centre-half. tho being a defender your improvement is largely mental and comes through experience, which is why older defenders tend to be better than they were when they were young, despite being worse-off physically. same isn't true about wingers, sadly for milner and us.

Milner is good enough for us because we are NOT a top 4 team...Do anyone of you (including the ones wearing NUFC tinted glasses) think that Milner would be in the starting IX of Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea or Liverpool ?

Honestly...wake up guys...

How many of our team would get in the starting 11 of those clubs mentioned? Not many.

Owen, Given, N'Zogbia, Martins are on par with the same position players in the top 4 teams...The rest of our players are not top 4 material including Milner...So these players are good for us right now because we are NOT a top 4 team...If we want to then we need to improve these positions...

Citing whether or not Milner would be a first choice at one of the clubs who finished in the top 4 last season isn't a valid argument.

It is...IF WE WANT TO BE A TOP 4 TEAM and challenge these teams then Milner is NOT good enough as well as 3/4 of our players...Only 1/4 of them are good enough for top 4...

So for where we are right now...Milner will do but if we want to push for top 4 spot then forget it...Milner and many of our players are NOT GOOD ENOUGH...

Guest Gemmill

Milner is good enough for us because we are NOT a top 4 team...Do anyone of you (including the ones wearing NUFC tinted glasses) think that Milner would be in the starting IX of Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea or Liverpool ?

How many of our team would get in the starting 11 of those clubs mentioned? Not many.

Owen, Given, N'Zogbia, Martins are on par with the same position players in the top 4 teams...The rest of our players are not top 4 material including Milner...So these players are good for us right now because we are NOT a top 4 team...If we want to then we need to improve these positions...

I'll give you Owen and given, but N'Zogbia is still very raw, and Martins is a poor man's Yakubu.  FACT.

I'll give you Owen and given, but N'Zogbia is still very raw, and Martins is a poor man's Yakubu.  FACT.

Well considering that Arsenal where interested in Martins so. Also I think Martins is better than Saha and if Saha can play for Man U I think Martins can...

Regarding N'Zogbia, well I see Nani and Anderson at Man United as raw as Zoggie and not much better than him so why couldn't Zoggie play for Man U or any of the top 4 !!!

I don't agree that a measure of the quality of a player is whether or not he's considered good enough to be a first choice at manure, Chelsea, arse or the bin dippers.

Surely being in the first IX of any of the top 4 is a good measure of player's quality...

I don't agree that a measure of the quality of a player is whether or not he's considered good enough to be a first choice at manure, Chelsea, arse or the bin dippers.

Surely being in the first IX of any of the top 4 is a good measure of player's quality...

Why not top3, or top 2, or why not even top 1 because that's the aim, isn't it? You could say that being good enough for 2nd isn't good enough.

You miss the point anyway. The implication is that everyone outside the top 4 isn't good enough for the top 4, which is of course nonsense. There are individuals playing for those top 4 teams I wouldn't particularly want to see play for Newcastle as well.

You build a team by getting a proper blend of attributes across the team and squad, not by thinking...."Hmm, would this player be a first choice at one of the teams that happened to finish in the top 4 last season."

i agree Martins would struggle to get into a top 4 team but he is better than Yakubu.

Why not top3, or top 2, or why not even top 1 because that's the aim, isn't it? You could say that being good enough for 2nd isn't good enough.

You miss the point anyway. The implication is that everyone outside the top 4 isn't good enough for the top 4, which is of course nonsense. There are individuals playing for those top 4 teams I wouldn't particularly want to see play for Newcastle.

You build a team by getting a proper blend of attributes across the team and squad, not by thinking...."Hmm, would this player be a first choice at one of the teams that happened to finish in the top 4 last season."

:nods:

If you think N'Zogbia is better at this moment in time than Milner, or as somebody said above even Anderson then frankly you need your head examined. N'Zogbia has that raw turn of pace and dribble that could one day make him a star, but right now the lad has had a few good games and scored a couple - following on from absolutely shocking performances last season. And before anyone says "oh he had a crap manager last year" - Milner had the same manager and showed himself to be a class above N'Zogbia.

If you think N'Zogbia is better at this moment in time than Milner, or as somebody said above even Anderson then frankly you need your head examined. N'Zogbia has that raw turn of pace and dribble that could one day make him a star, but right now the lad has had a few good games and scored a couple - following on from absolutely shocking performances last season. And before anyone says "oh he had a crap manager last year" - Milner had the same manager and showed himself to be a class above N'Zogbia.

NZogbia had a good season before Roeder decided to freeze him out of the team, as good as Milner had last season for us, and hes in good attaking form this season despite playing as a fullback.

Hard to say who is the better player right now, both are talented in different ways and both are still pretty raw when it comes to playing a team game on the ball (ie pass and move, use dribbling sparingly) as opposed to trying to be solo stars practically every time they get it, but theres certainly not much in it for me, definately not enough to warrant anyone who considers NZogbia better as mental.

Should play Zog on the left side midfield in a 4-4-2 right now.

aye and for derby i'd play smith through the middle  to get in behind the forwards with invention coming from wide.

I wouldn't, 'cos in 4-4-2 I'd use Smith up front.

with the current squad blah blah i've put what i think in the faye thread (i think thats where i put it)

i agree Martins would struggle to get into a top 4 team but he is better than Yakubu.

Is he not better than Saha ? I think so...

Aside from the fact that you obviously don't realise how good Saha is, I can't see what the point is in comparing Martins with Saha and Yakubu. Who the hell gives a shit?

Aside from the fact that you obviously don't realise how good Saha is, I can't see what the point is in comparing Martins with Saha and Yakubu. Who the hell gives a s***?

Aside from the fact that YOU obviously don't realise how good Martins IS, I don't see how YOU DON'T see the point in seeing that some of our players are NOT good enough to get into the champions league (i.e. top 4 spots)...

Aside from the fact that you obviously don't realise how good Saha is, I can't see what the point is in comparing Martins with Saha and Yakubu. Who the hell gives a s***?

Aside from the fact that YOU obviously don't realise how good Martins IS, I don't see how YOU DON'T see the point in seeing that some of our players are NOT good enough to get into the champions league (i.e. top 4 spots)...

:laugh:

What are you on?

Your method of judging the quality of a footballer as part of team building is as flawed as they come.

Edit: By the way, Martins isn't fit to tie Saha's bootlaces. ;)