How Viduka's settled in...

Beren

Well Big Sam says he wants a tall striker, if not oviously owen and martins

Martins and Owen could play together up front, I don't know if it would work as they might end up chasing the same balls, having said that, they worked the goal well on Saturday and Martins gets up really high for a small player.

Martins and Owen could play together up front, I don't know if it would work as they might end up chasing the same balls, having said that, they worked the goal well on Saturday and Martins gets up really high for a small player.

Not 100% sure they would work but Martins seems to hang about the edge of the area rather than poach so there is potential.

Not 100% sure they would work but Martins seems to hang about the edge of the area rather than poach so there is potential.

I'm not sure myself that they can do it, like you've said they've got potential.

We could play Martins and Owen I reckon against a team like Derby, Birmingham, Fulham at SJP IMO.

The through balls from Geremi, Butt and Barton would be enough service to have them running beyond the defence and making chances.

And as you say, Martins gets up high for a small bloke so crosses into the box wouldn't be always wasted.

Viduka has been the most disapointing player for me so far. He's slow, weak and has been completely dominated by his marker in just about every game. Ok one admittedly good goal against Boro (but other than that absolutely nothing) and one flick on v Wigan. Ameobi would have scored/contributed more!! Viduka isn't mobile enough and it seems he can't outmuscle his marker 99.99 % of the time either. I'd rather Martins Owen Smith or Shola.

Best line up imo at this moment:

Given

Taylor  cacapa  Roze  Zoggy

Geremi  Smith  Butt  Milner

Owen  Martins

Or

Given

Taylor  Cacapa  Roze  Zoggy

Smith  Butt    Geremi

Martins  Owen  Milner

No height up top i know, but keeping it on the ground woulden't be such a bad idea.

Enrique, Emre, Barton, Beye, Faye and Duff to challenge them once they are fit/ready.

Really don't think he's up to much tbh. Would like to see him look more interested/show more urgency and desire. Nonetheless, he can turn the game in a second with his good skill and awareness, like that chance he set up against Villa or goal against Boro.

However, would like 4-3-3 to perhaps have Martins or Owen up top and play it around on the deck, or 4-4-2 Shola and Martins/Owen as Ameobi has shown more thus far this season imo.

However, Big Sam isn't going to be leaving him out anytime soon, unless his hamstring injury is more serious than described so far.

no idea. MV is an genius. SA is a good coach and so is hiddink. They both rate Viduka very very highly, high enough he is always an automatic selection. What do these great coaches see in him that some people dont?

He is a very unique striker that brings others into play. He holds the ball better than any striker in the world. He will never top the goal scoring charts, But his contributionn to a team can't be questioned. His build is big, but the dukes has more skill than any player at Newcastle. SA knows his football, and i admit his start could have been better. But his fitness is down due to no pre season. When a fully fit MV is on song he is one of the best strikers to a team as a whole, than anyone else in the world.

Besides can anyone find his Premeirship league goal scoring average anywhere?????????????

4-3-3 doesn't suit him - it doesn't suit any of our strikers for that matter.

I can't name many players in the team that is does suit.

Yet he's signed Viduka, Smith, Barton, Geremi and Faye who play in either midfield or attack.

Did he sign them with a plan in mind or because they were available?

Yet he's signed Viduka, Smith, Barton, Geremi and Faye who play in either midfield or attack.

Viduka was to complete the 2 players for every position up front (if you include Shola).

Smith (still think the money could have been spent better) was brought in as the versatile man to replace Dyer (or as the 4th striker if you dont include Shola).

Barton was to replace Parker

Geremi completes the 4 centre mids aswell as cover for right wing/back.

Faye completes the 2 players for every position at centre back but can also play DM and apparently right back.

Viduka was to complete the 2 players for every position up front (if you include Shola).

Smith (still think the money could have been spent better) was brought in as the versatile man to replace Dyer (or as the 4th striker if you dont include Shola).

Barton was to replace Parker

Geremi completes the 4 centre mids aswell as cover for right wing/back.

Faye completes the 2 players for every position at centre back but can also play DM and apparently right back.

You've missed the point.

Allardyce has signed 5 players who can play either in midfield or attack, it a bit poor of him if he intends on playing 4-3-3 and none of these players fit the system.

Guest optimistic nit

He's not shown anything so far to dispel the belief most of us had when he played at other clubs that he was a big clumsy player.

He's better than Ameobi (but thats a default position you'd expect from most premiership strikers) but he's not a particularly good player.

he's not a big clumsy player, his goal that he scored showed everything viduka can do, he can hold the ball up, and has great technical ability which we saw from his shot. i think we have a really good player here if we play to his stregnths.

I don't think its match fitness thats holding him back, i think he's as fit as he'll ever be, but he's like shearer. rate shearer on one game and you may well come to the conclusion he's not all that, if he doesn't score, but over the season shearer would be our most valuble player, and i think viduka can be very valuble throught the season.

Viduka's contribution has been very limited so far. He simply doesn't have it in him to be doing the donkey work up front all on his own. He's never had that kind of workrate and certainly doesn't have the legs. Villa could effectively forget about him, he posed no kind of threat whatsoever. It was painful to watch, at times he looked like Shearer in his final season. Ameobi came on in the second half and showed more than Viduka had all game.

Athletically Ameobi wins on most counts IMO but technically Viduka is miles ahead. I honestly believe there will be games where Ameobi is the better option as a lone front man. Ameobi may be a frustrating player in many ways but if we're hell bent on this 4-3-3 formation he'll be at least as effective as Viduka.

Ideally I see this formation as a last resort, a means of stifling the best teams from playing, but if we must play it then Viduka's role must be reconsidered IMO. In a 4-4-2 though we can use him and Owen to their strengths.

Well he was out shopping in Leeds at the weekend...

Didn't see him. :)

My Auntie did, was surprised she recognized him to be honest. Apparently was some lass from Emmerdale in the shop as well. God knows which shop, an expensive one no doubt.

He's not shown anything so far to dispel the belief most of us had when he played at other clubs that he was a big clumsy player.

He's better than Ameobi (but thats a default position you'd expect from most premiership strikers) but he's not a particularly good player.

he's not a big clumsy player, his goal that he scored showed everything viduka can do, he can hold the ball up, and has great technical ability which we saw from his shot.

So one good goal shows that he's good, but all of the other shite performances get ignored.