Steven Taylor rejects new contract; Liverpool preparing £5m bid?

magorific
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well if the club don't sort this soon, the big clubs will be chasing him even more actively than they have done up till now.  I daresay if he went on to be a huge success at another club, then all the critics will blame the club for letting him go.

If he is on £9K per week and other squad players are being paid £30K per week then that does not seem fair.  He has been a first team regular for a while now - that may not continue to be the case this season but he should still get plenty of games.

What is it with our supporters that we have to have a scapegoat at all times.  Taylor and Milner (the kids in the team) are both being criticised.  Zoggy was woeful last year and because of a couple of games, he's the best thing again.  I think we have a good bunch of players at the club and local players should be part of that - maybe the new ones still have that shiny new feeling before people get bored with them and decide they need a good slagging off.  I think a young talented local player who cares about the club is an asset and it is too soon to write him off.

If this is what we think about local players maybe we should just close down the Academy as what is the point - they will be the scapegoats for our fans until we destroy their confidence and then sell them.

Taylor is on £9,000 a week at the minute. should be on alot more

Presumably why he's been offered a new contract on a lot more.

how do you know he's been offered more?

How do you know he's on £9,000? :rolleyes:

ITK and if you read the article it also says

"Abdoulaye Faye is picking up £30,000 a week after joining United last week.

Yet at the moment, Taylor’s basic wage in his current deal, which runs until June 2009, is less than a third of that."

Guest Ridzuan

Was disappointed when I heard this news.I dont know whats the new offer like,so I wont comment whether Taylor is asking more than what he deserve.But he is certainly a good prospect for the future,always give his full commitment to the club,and it would be a great loss if he were to leave.

Zoggy negotiated for well over a year to get his deal, Milner for a couple of months.

People go overboard as its Taylor, he's just playing the game, don't hate him for it because its what every player does, even those who are fans of the club will seek the best deal.

Some people need to get a grip of reality, fast.

Guest Guinness

Not good news at all. He's still a very young player and will only get better, yes he makes mistakes, but who doesn't at his age. I'm really hoping the club get this sorted out and get him tied down to a long term deal.

Jesus, he turned down the first offer. Who in their right mind ever accepts the first offer?

He knows what he wants, the club know what hes worth, they'll settle somewhere in the middle.

Guest Guinness

When will people realise, the transfer window is shut, so the papers have to create stories out of nothing to fill the space.  Given one day, Taylor the next......

His Father is quoted in the story so it seems there's definately something in this.

Absolutely crazy the reactions of some people on here. The best prospect we have produced out of our academy for YEARS and the England U21 Captain and people still manage to criticize him.

All I'll say is that Terry didn't start playing regular first team football at Chelsea until he was 20 and Taylor has the ability to be as good as Terry if he isn't slaughtered by some idiots who wonder why a 21-year old makes more mistakes than a 31-year old who has played in the Champions League for years, won several French Championships and been the Lyon Captain for the last 5 years.

Absolutely crazy the reactions of some people on here. The best prospect we have produced out of our academy for YEARS and the England U21 Captain and people still manage to criticize him.

All I'll say is that Terry didn't start playing regular first team football at Chelsea until he was 20 and Taylor has the ability to be as good as Terry if he isn't slaughtered by some idiots who wonder why a 21-year old makes more mistakes than a 31-year old who has played in the Champions League for years, won several French Championships and been the Lyon Captain for the last 5 years.

Which is why Cacapa should be paid more than Taylor.

Dad saying he isn't getting offerred as much as 'these people coming in from all over the place,' and that he should be treated like Liverpool treat Carragher and Gerrard.

Which is fair enough.

Why the fuk should the club pay silly amounts for crap talents such as Luque and Boumsong while our own youth players who are of better quality get peanuts in comparison?

His father has hit the nail on the head, probably too well, he couldn't of picked two players in which to make an example of better than what he has.

It will all be sorted in a few weeks and we'll have him, Milner & Zoggy tied down for the next 5 years. Add Martins to that (fingers crossed) and we've got a good core of youth to take us into the future.

Which is why Cacapa should be paid more than Taylor.

Like it or not though you are paying for Taylor's potential not his current ability and if we don't someone else will.

Taylor loves Newcastle and wants to play for no one else, that is until another club offers him more money probably.

The quotation from his father is somewhat contradictory “He is not playing for Newcastle for the money, but because he loves football and the club – but it is a short career and the financial aspect is still important"

A decent young player but error prone and by no means top class. £500K p.a. seems pretty fair for someone his age and an offer on the table to improve on that.

Maybe his father is slightly deluded where Taylor's importance to the club and standing in the game (beyond Tyneside) is concerned.

Its not just this though, theres been numerous signs the lads been getting a bit big for his boots.

Ive heard from quite a few people he's getting called 'hollywood' by the other players and people at the club - obviously this could be bollocks but ive heard it from that many people that dont know each other that im inclined to believe their might be some truth in it.

However I did get told in person by pretty someone close to the club that Taylor was a unbelievably arrogant tosser (off the mic) when being interviewed, and he said it was a shame he could not have conducted himself more like peter ramage, a poor footballer but a nice, polite lad, he said.

Also Allardyce's comments after he was called up to the England squad were pretty strong, and went far beyond the usual comments about players keeping their feet on the ground after a international call up - all the stuff about michael ricketts and stating the fact he wouldn't improve if he didn't listen again suggests the gaffers concerned about his ego.

I also don't think theres any questioning the fact that he's over-rated because he's local. I like Taylor as a player, and think hes got bags of potential, but he's got a long way to go. Milners the same age but a far more accomplished premiership player imo, and the criticism he gets astounds me. If hed been raised in Newcastle im positive the general consensus would say he's the next Chris Waddle.

The last quote of the article, “Yet I do not see this being a problem at Liverpool with Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher” (about clubs exploiting local players loyalty to pay them less money) is also very worrying. We're talking about two established internationals that are a succesful, regular champions leauge clubs two most influential and consistent players - the fact his Dads comparing his lad to them is frightning.

Dad saying he isn't getting offerred as much as 'these people coming in from all over the place,' and that he should be treated like Liverpool treat Carragher and Gerrard.

Which is fair enough.

Why the fuk should the club pay silly amounts for crap talents such as Luque and Boumsong while our own youth players who are of better quality get peanuts in comparison?

His father has hit the nail on the head, probably too well, he couldn't of picked two players in which to make an example of better than what he has.

It will all be sorted in a few weeks and we'll have him, Milner & Zoggy tied down for the next 5 years. Add Martins to that (fingers crossed) and we've got a good core of youth to take us into the future.

What bollocks. So we should pay every half decent player 50 grand a week just because Luque and Boumsong got paid more and they were shite?

They were unmitigated failures, using them as a benchmark is ridiculous.

Which is fair enough.

What bollocks. So we should pay every half decent player 50 grand a week just because Luque and Boumsong got paid more and they were shite?

They were unmitigated failures, using them as a benchmark is ridiculous.

Did i say that or are you just making shite up?

The latter i think.

People are making mountains out of molehills tbh. Taylor is fantastic, he's obviously going to be a really big player for us both now and long into the future. He's certainly worth a hell of alot more than 9K thats for definate. He should be on about the same as Milner and zoggy imo. If it's true that Faye is on 30k, then Taylor should be on at least that probably more. I hope they aren't going to mess him about as if he leaves i'll be gutted/fuming. Knowing how Taylor loves NUFC no doubt he wants to stay but they shoulden't use this as a tool against him.   

I swear there are some undercover mackem WUM's on here. He's the best young CB in the Prem, has had quite alot of experience/caps etc for someone so young, England U21 captain (non surprisingly if you've seen his awesome performances), on the verge of the Full England set up, fantastic attitude/work ethic, already very talented but with bags more of potental, very rarely makes mistakes and geniunely loves NUFC!!! 

Taylor is so good that we brought in 3 better centre backs for a combined fee of around £5 million, whoever said he makes errors like Bramble is spot on, And to think some on here wanted him as captain. Average player with potential, he's nothing more than that.

Why should taylor be on the same as Faye, Faye is a full international. Taylor will probably have to wait 4 years to equal the 5 caps that Faye has.

saying he should have the same wages as overpriced and overpayed players who were bought by the previous regime, is also ridiculous.

Yes he probably deserves an increase and yes his father is probably spouting off to try and get a bigger wage rise, but he should have chosen his words a bit better.

he should be working on getting him incremental rises throughout the contract; i.e. after, say 50/100/150 appearances, same with international caps(1/10/20) etc.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

I really cant see the point that the only reason why Taylor is playing and supported by many newcastle fans is that he is a local boy. He is captain at the u21 squad and was on the bench with the seniors against Germany, and as far as I know Mclaren isnt a big Newcastle fan....

Taylor loves Newcastle and wants to play for no one else, that is until another club offers him more money probably.

The quotation from his father is somewhat contradictory He is not playing for Newcastle for the money, but because he loves football and the club but it is a short career and the financial aspect is still important"

A decent young player but error prone and by no means top class. £500K p.a. seems pretty fair for someone his age and an offer on the table to improve on that.

Maybe his father is slightly deluded where Taylor's importance to the club and standing in the game (beyond Tyneside) is concerned.

I think it is you who is sadly deluded. He's the U21 Captain and would be able to get extremly good wages at say Villa or Everton.