Steven Taylor rejects new contract; Liverpool preparing £5m bid?

magorific
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Can I just add that it is awesome to finally have a real manager in charge!

If Roeder was still here we would have given Taylor a £100,000 a week deal and got rid of Zoggy and maybe even Milner!

Even if Sam does see somethign in him, I think this is a brillaint mvoe as it makes Taylor really think about how good he really is and how good he really wants to be. A lot of love being thrown his way at the moment with the under 21 lovefest from the media and the full England cap. A little knockback won't be a bad thing at all.

Taylor definitely needs to show more desire and drive for me. He needs to dominate more and be more commanding. Push a few peple around out there. It's what every great defender does. I just don't see it in him ...

I think you just sum up the qualities Taylor posses, where I would say his biggest weakness is a bit lack of composure. intelligence.

Corrected for you mate.

So you agree that he's a really good defender except that he lacks a bit composure or intelligence or whatever you call his at times a bit too agressive and hazardous style of play  :shifty:

If Roeder was still here we would have given Taylor a £100,000 a week deal and got rid of Zoggy and maybe even Milner!

Even if Sam does see somethign in him, I think this is a brillaint mvoe as it makes Taylor really think about how good he really is and how good he really wants to be. A lot of love being thrown his way at the moment with the under 21 lovefest from the media and the full England cap. A little knockback won't be a bad thing at all.

Taylor definitely needs to show more desire and drive for me. He needs to dominate more and be more commanding. Push a few peple around out there. It's what every great defender does. I just don't see it in him ...

I think you just sum up the qualities Taylor posses, where I would say his biggest weakness is a bit lack of composure. intelligence.

Corrected for you mate.

So you agree that he's a really good defender except that he lacks a bit composure or intelligence or whatever you call his at times a bit too agressive and hazardous style of play  :shifty:

He sould be offered double his wage adding 1 year to his contract which will then give him 2 seasons to prove his weaknesses can be overcome.

No use whatsoever giving him a 5 year contract when Sam knows for similar or less money he could likely bring in a more complete player.

Corrected for you mate.

He sould be offered double his wage adding 1 year to his contract which will then give him 2 seasons to prove his weaknesses can be overcome.

No use whatsoever giving him a 5 year contract when Sam knows for similar or less money he could likely bring in a more complete player.

Whereas we should have kept Huntington right??

Corrected for you mate.

Whereas we should have kept Huntington right??

No.

Guest bluegeordie

The bulk of this thread reminds me of a piece of advice that Sherlock Holmes gives to Watson, to the effect that it's a major mistake to theorise without data, because invariably you begin to twist facts to fit theories, instead of theories to fit facts. In other words, without knowing the details of the offer that has been made to Taylor, in my opinion it's impossible for us to know whether the offer is insulting, reasonable, generous, or perhaps even over the top, never mind guessing at what his weekly pay packet would amount to. Furthermore, I don't think that we can deduce much by trying to "read between the lines" of how it might compare to the terms that Zoggy and Milner have recently accepted, as it's by no means clear whether Alf Taylor estimates those players' talents and market value to be inferior, equal, or superior to that of his son, or whether his estimates in this regard are anywhere near accurate. In a nutshell then, and on the basis of what little we know, I don't feel that we're in a position to judge whether or not the general drift of Alf Taylor's comments is at all justified.

Echoing what others have written above, what I do feel confident in saying is that Alf Taylor's reference to Gerrard and Carragher was clearly ill-advised (whatever its "potential", a tadpole is not a frog, after all), as were his comments which alluded to the wage insanity of NUFC's recent past as a guide to what we might / should expect in the present and future. Most importantly, and again as others have remarked above, it would seem obvious to me that there are much better places than the press for contract negotiations to be thrashed out.

I just hope that all we're witnessing is a rather clumsy handling of negotiations by Alf Taylor, and that commonsense will prevail, with his son amicably signing a suitable long term contract in the not too distant future. That way, Big Sam can continue with the task of turning our "promising tadpole" into a "certified frog"!    

Echoing what others have written above, what I do feel confident in saying is that Alf Taylor's reference to Gerrard was clearly ill-advised

I hope Taylor doesnt follow the summer plans of Stevie Twatface G as that snake in grass it seems harps on to get a new contract or is two minds whether should stay every summer.

The bulk of this thread reminds me of a piece of advice that Sherlock Holmes gives to Watson, to the effect that it's a major mistake to theorise without data, because invariably you begin to twist facts to fit theories, instead of theories to fit facts. In other words, without knowing the details of the offer that has been made to Taylor, in my opinion it's impossible for us to know whether the offer is insulting, reasonable, generous, or perhaps even over the top, never mind guessing at what his weekly pay packet would amount to. 

The bulk of this entire forum reminds me of that anecdote.  Great post. 

Guest michaelfoster

Give him 20k a week, for 5 years and tell him they will look at increasing again in 3/4 years time. He shouldnt be on anything more than 20k tbh & i cant see Milner & N'Zogbia being on much more than that.

The bulk of this thread reminds me of a piece of advice that Sherlock Holmes gives to Watson, to the effect that it's a major mistake to theorise without data, because invariably you begin to twist facts to fit theories, instead of theories to fit facts. In other words, without knowing the details of the offer that has been made to Taylor, in my opinion it's impossible for us to know whether the offer is insulting, reasonable, generous, or perhaps even over the top, never mind guessing at what his weekly pay packet would amount to. Furthermore, I don't think that we can deduce much by trying to "read between the lines" of how it might compare to the terms that Zoggy and Milner have recently accepted, as it's by no means clear whether Alf Taylor estimates those players' talents and market value to be inferior, equal, or superior to that of his son, or whether his estimates in this regard are anywhere near accurate. In a nutshell then, and on the basis of what little we know, I don't feel that we're in a position to judge whether or not the general drift of Alf Taylor's comments is at all justified.

Echoing what others have written above, what I do feel confident in saying is that Alf Taylor's reference to Gerrard and Carragher was clearly ill-advised (whatever its "potential", a tadpole is not a frog, after all), as were his comments which alluded to the wage insanity of NUFC's recent past as a guide to what we might / should expect in the present and future. Most importantly, and again as others have remarked above, it would seem obvious to me that there are much better places than the press for contract negotiations to be thrashed out.

I just hope that all we're witnessing is a rather clumsy handling of negotiations by Alf Taylor, and that commonsense will prevail, with his son amicably signing a suitable long term contract in the not too distant future. That way, Big Sam can continue with the task of turning our "promising tadpole" into a "certified frog"!   

you should post more often  :thup:

Guest optimistic nit

Dad saying he isn't getting offerred as much as 'these people coming in from all over the place,' and that he should be treated like Liverpool treat Carragher and Gerrard.

Which is fair enough.

Why the fuk should the club pay silly amounts for crap talents such as Luque and Boumsong while our own youth players who are of better quality get peanuts in comparison?

His father has hit the nail on the head, probably too well, he couldn't of picked two players in which to make an example of better than what he has..

aye but if we apply that logic  then our wage bill would stretch into the millions. we cant give everyone huge wages because they want to be on more than luque and boumsong.

To be honest I think this is probably a non-story. Plenty of guys reject contract offers, it's just part of the negotiating process. The only issue here is that his dad has handled this poorly in my opinion. I doubt Taylor's being forced out. He may not necessarily be first choice for a year or two, but I'm sure he'll get plenty of games. I can't see the Brazilian destroyer being first choice for more than a couple of years, the perfect time to let him help groom Taylor and iron out the kinks. Then Taylor can take over properly for the next decade (ideally at least).

The trouble is, these comments aren't going to endear him to the fans (as this thread shows). Fans don't like to hear footballers complaining about lack of money, even if they have (and we're not sure if this is the case) been offered below market value. It makes him seem more like he's looking for an excuse not to sign than him being forced out (neither of which I think are the case). The whole 'he plays for Newcastle for the love of the club, not the money, but he wants loads more money!'  thing just doesn't wash, even if he should get loads more money. Also, as mentioned, comparisons to Stevie G and Carragher are ridiculous, it's a very different situation.

Basically, what I've wasted a couple of paragraphs trying to say is that this will almost certainly get sorted out, and it should have remained private because it's either going to make you criticise Taylor or the club, and as there's loads of time and this will almost certainly be resolved, rousing up criticism doesn't do anyone any good.

Taylor is on £9,000 a week at the minute. should be on alot more

How does he manage to live on a poxy 9k a week????

My heart bleeds!!!!!!!!  w@nker!

Ignorant post tbh

Ignorant?  how exactly?

I know players earn much much more but nobody on the planet deserves 9k a week for kicking a ball about. People who do important things like heart transplants earn far far less!

Ignorant post tbh

Ignorant?  how exactly?

I know players earn much much more but nobody on the planet deserves 9k a week for kicking a ball about. People who do important things like heart transplants earn far far less!

So why target Taylor???

Ignorant post tbh

Ignorant?  how exactly?

So why target Taylor???

Cos i have had a few beers I logged on and this thread was the first one i read! simple really!

you have a problem with that?

Ignorant post tbh

Ignorant?  how exactly?

So why target Taylor???

Cos i have had a few beers I logged on and this thread was the first one i read! simple really!

you have a problem with that?

Well do us a favour and log back off then. 

Or alternatively answer the question, why target Taylor over the fact that the majority of Premier League footballers earn more than surgeons.

As I said before, an ignorant post