NUFC missing a Right Winger

Guest SLK

Solano was never quick and Dyer was never a right winger.

Milner is an evolving player and will improve year on year. 

Realistically who would I like as a right winger ?  James Milner.

To compare Solano and Milner is ludicrous. One is a footballer and one is a tryer. Of course we need better than Milner. He probably holds the most important position in the 4-3-3. He's ok, just nowhere near Solano standard. Or several others we have had. If he reaches Keith Gillespies standard between Jan 1995 and May 1997 I will be happy . Can't see him doing it, simply because he doesn't have the attributes.

Don' t want him to be that shite.  Maybe he could have one good game if we ever get to play Barcelona again by putting a couple of decent balls in the box and live off that for the rest of his career.  Worked for Gillespie.

Oh dear.

Just think when people talk about wasters in the Premier League, he was our original

James Milner broke on the right and played the ball to Noble who found Huddlestone on the edge of the box who unleashed a ferocious drive which skidded across the wet surface and beat goalkeeper Mihaylov.

Provider turned goalscorer seven minutes later.

Milner was again involved, feeding Matt Derbyshire on the edge of box who played the ball into Noble breaking from midfield. The West Ham man showed great composure to round the keeper and put the ball into the empty net.

http://www.thefa.com/England/U21s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/EngU21s_BulgariaReport.htm

To compare Solano and Milner is ludicrous. One is a footballer and one is a tryer. Of course we need better than Milner. He probably holds the most important position in the 4-3-3. He's ok, just nowhere near Solano standard. Or several others we have had. If he reaches Keith Gillespies standard between Jan 1995 and May 1997 I will be happy . Can't see him doing it, simply because he doesn't have the attributes.

Don' t want him to be that shite.  Maybe he could have one good game if we ever get to play Barcelona again by putting a couple of decent balls in the box and live off that for the rest of his career.  Worked for Gillespie.

Oh dear.

Just think when people talk about wasters in the Premier League, he was our original

Wasn't Gillespie an irreplaceable component in the title-challenging 95/96 side, at something like 20 years old? Didn't the wheels fall off when he got injured?

It's a bit unfair to describe Milner as average. He's not top drawer due to the fact he isn't lightning quick, but he's got two good feet, crosses early and can get a yard on a player just by shifting the ball unexpectedly - not to mention he's very comfortable playing wide right and will defend when required. There aren't many English right wingers who have every attribute in any case. If anything, for me his biggest weakness is probably lack of self-belief. For someone with his attributes he should be scoring a lot more goals. Or at least attempting to score a lot more goals.

Seriously lads, I'm not going to bother trying to get you to see the obvious.

If people want to believe Taylor is the next John Terry or Milner is the next Beckham then carry on.

Why not compare them to Pele while you're at it

If people want to believe Taylor is the next John Terry or Milner is the next Beckham then carry on.

That was Darren Ambrose, wasn't it?

That was Darren Ambrose, wasn't it?

And Aaron Hughes was Zico. :lol:

The loss of Dyer and Solano without replacements took the shine off the transfer window for me. That pace and creativity has not been replaced. Smith came in, but we're yet to identify his role in the first XI, if he even has one.

I think this is an issue which may well need addressed in January, because if Milner picks up an injury we will be back to putting square pegs in round holes. For all our squad depth, it just takes one injury for that to happen, which is disappointing. IMO it is the highest priority position for strengthening. I know there's a lot of talk about a classy player in the middle of the park. Well that'd be nice, but we've got loads of cover already for that position and would possibly have to break the bank to guarantee major improvement over the likes of Barton, Geremi et al, who are decent enough players. At right wing, a modest sum could go a long way to improving our options and many believe a decent sum would give us a significant improvement on Milner.

I'm still a bit undecided on Milner, the arguments against him are very convincing but then there's no getting away from the fact he has been our most creative player on the ball this season and doesn't deserve to be singled out the way he is. Presuming we only have a few million to spend in January, I think a quick right winger would give us cover, competition and perhaps most importantly the option to change a game in our favour. If we're too one-dimensional we'll find ourselves dropping points to bottom-half teams who we can't break down and to get where we want to be, we can't afford to be doing that too often.

One dimensional? We have 3 players too similar to each in midfield. Some decent forwards and a bloke who can lift a ball but struggles to cross it. Seriously, Smith and Milner are good squad players. The other two we sold are far better suited to what we need right now and both played very well together in successful NUFC sides. Despite what the revisionists may have you believe.

I agree with every word of that. Dyer's injuries and Solano's age/family issues meant there was a good case for selling both, but replacements were needed. Effectively two first team places were freed up but apparently Smith is a squad signing, so it's fair to say one of them was not replaced. In terms of their pace and guile, respectively I can't see that either were replaced when I look at the signings who came in. It leaves us with a job to do in January, but for now we can only hope Milner stays fit and on form. Considering Smith was the joint most expensive signing this year it seems strange that the vast majority of us probably wouldn't put him in our first XI.

If we were playing the same system then the need for like-for-like replacements would be obvious. Does the fact that we (look like) playing a different system not mean that we shouldnt expect like-for-like replacements?

Too many stupids think that if you aren't Linford Christie in terms of pace that you can't do a job on the wing.  It's not like Milner is a bloody snail FFS.  Dyer was practically a Zoggy of the right wing and he was s**** at the job of being a winger.

More like to many stupids who think that pace isn't important for a winger in the modern game, pointing to only Beckham and Solano as examples even though both were technically superior than Milner will ever be.

Pace is important, it's why the likes of Lennon and Young are in the England set up and Milner isn't anywhere near.

If we're going to play 4-4-2 then Milner is one of the first players we should be looking to improve on.

Beckham and Joe Cole are no good then?

Have another read of what I've said about Beckham, as for Joe Cole he isn't a winger anyway but he's alot faster than Milner and yes, he's technically superior than Milner will ever be too, he's an excellent footballer.

Joe Cole and Milner are very evenly matched pace wise, about as fast as each other. JC is a winger imo, he doesn't play in the center he plays on the left of a 442 or top left of a 433. Yes JC is definately a better player, one of the best in the world he's peaking at the moment he's 25!! Milner's 21 getting better and better all the time, give the lad a chance by god he's earn't it imo.

Who would you have us go out and buy then thats going to be so much better?............... Another Luque type?

How on earth are Joe Cole and Milner EVENLY matched in pace ???

MILNER IS SLOW FOR A WINGER

Which part of the above sentense you don't understand ??? For 4-4-2 system if we want to play it we need FAST skillful players...If we want to move to the next step in our gradual march towards cementing a top 4 position, we need to improve our RW position...If you look at the most successful wingers in the world past and present, you will see most of them if not all have PACE, SPEED...That is why the likes of SWP, Young, Bently, Lennon will be playing in the NT ahead of Milner...That is why C. Ronaldo, Giggs, Nani, Duff, Ian Robben, Marc Overmars, Robbert and many many more have been successful on the wing...

People...I am NOT saying that I want to get shot of Milner, on the contrary I think he still has place in our team and at his age, he still has a lot of potential but not in pace wise unfortunately as this is the quickest he can ever be...I don't think our team has a real genuine winger who other teams salivate over...Milner need competition on the right wing anyway and honestly, non of the big teams in the Premier league would consider Milner as first choice...I would keep him but not as first choice...

Oh dear, another fan boy with his knickers in a twist.

Nobody has said get him out, they're simply saying if we want to improve then we should look to bring in better, the same as we've done with Steven "The next John Terry" Taylor.

I am not a phucking fan boy. 

Lunatics come out the wood work talking about replacing a future prospect 6 games into a season. 

Fooking stupid t***.

You must suffer from comprehension problems !!!

Don't bother mate...I'm with you and it seems you and few others understand where i'm coming from...

Even Benitez prefers Penant over a good professional lad like Milner...Benitez must be MAD I tell ya...FFS even Penant is considered better...Milner for me is a good prospect and a squad player NOTHING there to be excited about...

To compare Solano and Milner is ludicrous. One is a footballer and one is a tryer. Of course we need better than Milner. He probably holds the most important position in the 4-3-3. He's ok, just nowhere near Solano standard. Or several others we have had. If he reaches Keith Gillespies standard between Jan 1995 and May 1997 I will be happy. Can't see him doing it, simply because he doesn't have the attributes.

And I agree and think one of the main attributes that Gillespie had over Milner is PACE...

can people see the difference between a strongly hit cross by, say, laurent robert, close to the byline, whilst he's running at speed, and a lofted cross by milner from 40 yards out, from a standing position, whilst he's had the ball for a while?

in one situation you have a cross with so much power that the forward only needs to get a slight nick on it and the keeper is fucked, you have a cross that is in front of the forward so he can attack it and continue his run, while the opposition defenders have to turn around and try and reposition, and the keeper is chasing the ball, and as the winger is running at pace there is opportunity to exploit the disorganisation or the defenders.

in the other situation you have a cross with so little power that the forward will have to manufacture the power from twisting his neck to head it at goal, the forward has to turn and head almost with his back to goal, the defender and goalkeeper don't have to turn and can more cleanly judge the flight of the ball, and as the winger has had the ball for a while, there is no disorganisation or movement, most in the box are static and its difficult for the stiker to make any space.

just one example of how milner's weaknesses, in this case lacking a burst of acceleration, put him at a disadvantage to others. and i'm not saying lacking pace damns a winger to mediocrity in all cases, but if you don't have any you need to be truly extra special in other areas, like a young beckham, or arteta or solano. sadly milner is even average when it comes to control, skill, passing, vision and goalscoring. for instance even when beating a player, Milner has to work very, very, very hard to get past someone, by twisting and turning, and spinning his opponent into a trance like a whirling dervish, this takes a long time and even if he beats his man, the rest of the opposition have had time to regroup behind. whereas with someone like Giggs, who these days isn't that much faster than milner (tho still having a burst of pace over 5 yards) it is completely effortless and he glides past players like a ghost. this means while giggs has advanced into the box leaving opponents sprawling, milner is still half way down the pitch, hugging the touchline, with 5 players in front of him.

Good post.

Milner is a good player, who can hopefully develop further. He does not have blistering pace, but neither do a lot of fine wingers.

We have other players in other positions who are inferior to Milner at what they do. Maybe soem fans should turn their attention to THEM, first.

Who are those FINE WINGERS with no blistering pace ?

Beckham & Figo fit the bill; but they also show that without pace a winger really does need to be fantastic in other aspects of their game. Milner is very hard working but there is no magic. He is doing the job asked of him but I don't think that long term that he can stay as an out & out winger. I'd imagine Milner also accepts that.

Within our current squad Martins would be the best option; as he showed against Wigan. Duff played at times on the right for Chelsea & we may also that once he is fit.

Milner is a good player, who can hopefully develop further. He does not have blistering pace, but neither do a lot of fine wingers.

We have other players in other positions who are inferior to Milner at what they do. Maybe soem fans should turn their attention to THEM, first.

Beckham, Joe Cole, Figo, Solano, Waddle etc etc off the top of my head. They must be poor wingers cause the've got no pace?     

Milners as quick as Cole and quicker than the others mentioned. Just because  he's not as quick as the SWP's, Lennons and Dyer's doesn't mean he is slow. He's quicker than most right backs and can beat them, cross or shoot, as well as get back and help which is the most important thing isn't it?

He's probably our most creative player! Lets get rid!

Don' t want him to be that s****.  Maybe he could have one good game if we ever get to play Barcelona again by putting a couple of decent balls in the box and live off that for the rest of his career.  Worked for Gillespie.

Oh dear.

Wasn't Gillespie an irreplaceable component in the title-challenging 95/96 side, at something like 20 years old? Didn't the wheels fall off when he got injured?

Aye, Phil Neville cost us the league by injuring Gillespie.

Can't remember much about his performances during 96/97, though I'd guess that they must have been fairly productive considering the amount of goals we scored depsite Ginola's second season syndrom.

All went wrong after the Barca game, unitl then he was a damn good right winger

Beckham, Solano, Robert (on his day). There's 3. two of whom were the best crossers of the ball i've seen int he premiership.