Benny Benitez: Parky 6 Benny 2 (Benitez watch.). Inter sack the waiter.

Parky

He's spent £100m, and failed to beat sides that have spent much more.

Hardly grounds to condemn his choice of transfers to such an extent.

Up until the latest accounts he's spent £2M less per year than Chelsea net. From season 04/05 to 08/09.

£6M less per year than Man Utd net spend. £13M more than Arsenal net spend. It's not like he hasn't had money to burn.

Arsenal is by the by, because Wenger's in a class of his own in the transfer market.

Man Utd and Chelsea had much stronger squads than Liverpool when Benitez arrived. Man Utd had a side that had already won the title, and Ranieri had spent almost £100m on Chelsea's squad the season before Benitez arrived.

Are the Liverpool fans stupid? Lack of investment? He has spent shed loads, mainly on crap.

£110m in his time there. (Net, obviously)

Only City and Chelsea have spent more over the same time period.  :cheesy:

I wasn't sure of the figures but that's a massive amount.

A decent manager with any idea of the market would have had them challenging.

He's only really had one real tilt at the title in his time there and has finished about 20-odd points behind the eventual winners a few times....

Not a great record really considering the cash he's had to spend.  

Yeah. We always started the season too slowly due to his rotation, and were out of the race by November. After that, the focus was always on the CL, and Liverpool under Benitez were one of the best sides in Europe up till the season just gone.

He's spent £100m, and failed to beat sides that have spent much more.

Hardly grounds to condemn his choice of transfers to such an extent.

I dunno, he's lived of the reputation for winning the CL with a squad 90% someone else's, the more he's changed it the further away you've gone from repeating that.

We were in the final again two years later. It only went to shit this season just gone.

Are the Liverpool fans stupid? Lack of investment? He has spent shed loads, mainly on crap.

£110m in his time there. (Net, obviously)

Only City and Chelsea have spent more over the same time period.  :cheesy:

I wasn't sure of the figures but that's a massive amount.

A decent manager with any idea of the market would have had them challenging.

Yup. All that 5 at the back stuff he likes is bollocks. Lost too many games to average sides.

We were in the final again two years later. It only went to s*** this season just gone.

It's ridiculous, isn't it. He has his flaws and it's probably right that he goes now, but the knives have been out for him for a long time and the lack of credit he gets is a bit much at times.

Last year for example Liverpool were pretty close to winning the Premiership, something which Rafa has received zero credit for (and I'm not sure why). He also gets zero credit for some of his signings, like Fernando Torres who alot of people weren't sure about given the fee and after a pretty mediocre international tournament debut with Spain (anyone remember "Ashton > Torres" on this forum?). He took a gamble on Torres when seemingly other clubs weren't prepared to, that gamble paid off. Others like Mascherano, Agger, Skrtel, Reina, Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia - it wasn't all bad in the transfer market. There have been expensive flops, certainly, but Liverpool have frequently been second best to the ManU's, Chelsea's and Arsenal's when it comes to attracting the cream of the crop from around Europe (even then, the Chelsea's and ManU's can't compete with the Real's and Barca's if they want someone). That is probably why Benitez has gone for more questionable expensive talent that other clubs weren't prepared to take a gamble on (look at Mascherano since West Ham for example) - when it pays off, like Torres did, he gets no credit, as though it's assumed the player was great anyway. When it doesn't, the knife gets stuck in.

When he took Liverpool over, they were pretty much in the same boat as us (we finished 5th with a relatively poor season under Sir Bobby, Houllier scraped past us to finish 4th with a pretty s*** squad). Since then, he's won the CL, reached another CL final, won an FA Cup, challenged for the Premiership title most recently. Look where we ended up during that same period under genuinely shit/mediocre managers. Put short, he's definitely a good manager, just maybe too geared towards winning cup competitions and hasn't got as great an eye for transfers as the better managers in the sport.

Think it's all a bit harsh on Benitez tbh. One bad season really, that's all. It's going to have a huge knock on effect though, who'll Liverpool go for ? If I were them I would focus on doing everything I could for Martin O'Neill, that just seems like the right fit there, can't see Villa though letting him go without a fight.

Think it's all a bit harsh on Benitez tbh. One bad season really, that's all. It's going to have a huge knock on effect though, who'll Liverpool go for ? If I were them I would focus on doing everything I could for Martin O'Neill, that just seems like the right fit there, can't see Villa though letting him go without a fight.

Agree. Lots of people like to slate him (probably including me) but at the end of the day he's won lots of things for them and the year before last did really well in the league. They were only four points off the title ffs.

Think this has the hallmarks of the disliked US owners simply trying to deflect a bit of the fans' wrath.

Rafa Benitez's £229m spending spree: The 76 players signed during the Liverpool manager's reign  :yikes: :iamatwat: :yikes: :cheesy: :mackems:

By Alex Perry and Mike Breton

Last updated at 10:44 AM on 22nd October 2009

* Comments (57)

* Add to My Stories

Those leaping to the defence of under-fire Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez have pointed to his lack of muscle in transfer market.

But the records show that the Spaniard has spent £228,600,000 since arriving at Anfield in 2004.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1221975/Rafa-Benitezs-229m-spending-spree-The-76-players-signed-Liverpool-managers-reign.html#ixzz0poTwQK75