You see, this is why we'll eventually get there under Big Sam...

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Pleasure reading that HTT, you're invariably a wellspring of sound and level observation that increases my optimism for the future.

Is that why he backed Souness and Roeder too?

I back all NUFC managers when in the hot seat, doesn't mean I back their appointments though or thought they'd succeed. I do however back this appointment and believe he will succeed. It's a myth that I backed Souness and Roeder tbh. Don't place trying to remain positive and upbeat with wild delight at those two or me playing the devils advocate which I did a lot during their time.

Guest Knightrider

I think Shola will eventually be peddled along with a few others. He's not a bad squad player in my opinion but the manager likes impact players on the bench who can come in and do as well a job as those he's replaced. He had many players like that at Bolton which meant even when players had to be brought in the side still performed the same. He'll be aiming to get us set up like that. I reckonr Shola, Martins and maybe even Owen are on trial while Babayaro, Carr and possibly Emre and Given could also be casualties.

Don't think goalkeepers quite qualify as impact players, if Given is a casualty it's surely because he won't accept second fiddle at any time?

I'd say it was more to do with the fact that sam likes his keepers to dominate the box and come for absolutely everything so the defence are sure he's coming for it and don't end up in 2 minds.

The thing that pleased me most about yesterdays performance was seeing the back four actually 'pass' the ball out into play instead of giving the ball to a defensive midfielder to pirouette (sp?) a la Parker, play it back to the Centre Half it's just come from a la Bramble and subsequently get launched 200 yards to a big lad to inevitably lose possession.

Building from the back is where it's at and yesterday was the best we've done that in years imo.

Whether we challenged him or backed off, we couldn't handle Dean Ashton all game. He was always a threat. He's a very good player, and should be in the England squad.

I thought the back four was shaky throughout, and the main difference in the second half was that our midfield seemed to offer them a bit more protection. West Ham then had to commit more men forward, and as the game wore on, naturally found it more difficult to get back to cover.

I think Big Sam is pretty much getting the best out of the players at his disposal, so credit to him for that. But goals change games and if we hadn't got the second goal when we did, somewhat against the run of play, we'd have been in a bit of trouble.

Guest shaun11177

As Sam has said there is a lot to work on:

Certainly the centre halves were completely dominated in the 1st half and if we noticed it so will other Managers.

We once again played with 10 men because Smith really didnt contribute-the quicker we get Enrique at left back-Zoggy Left wing,Milner right wing and Smith to help up front the better.

Dont know why Owen played when this injury problem he has needed rest especially with Martins available.

Also Sam said after the game we lacked width in the 1st half-well we knew that before we kicked off+we sat back after scoring, we did indeed so i wonder what exactly he does with that microphone system of his, you would have thought he would have got his coaches on the bench to do something about it.

Its a good start though the continuing injury problems are still a worry will Emre ever get fit to play again.

Charlie should be on the left wing, Milner on the right as both of these will hug the touchline, give width and supply crosses.

I agree fully with this statement. This will be the basis of creating a team that can challenge in attack, but more impotantly be steady at the back. The defence had a torrid time in the first half but there was definite signs of improvemet. There i said it defence and improvement in one sentence oh its been so so long.

The biggest improvement against West Ham was that we kept the ball on the ground a lot more, I just hope this is the way we are to play from now on, long high balls are useless.

I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on this. The long ball game isn't my cup of tea but it can be effective to a limit. We just haven't got the players for it and we looked much better yesterday when we passed it around, unlike the Derby debacle.