The Richest Clubs Newcastle 5th

Rebellious

http://money.uk.msn.com/consumer/football-finance/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5872436

The richest football clubs

By Simon Ward

September 24 2007

Money – some football clubs have it, some don’t. The 20 Premier League clubs stand to make a record £1.8 billion this season, yet some still find themselves mired in debt. Despite huge income from TV rights and sponsorship, there’s still one area costing clubs a fortune – players’ wages.

A new era of sole owners of Premier League clubs has meant that the days of stock market flotations are over. And while some chairmen have been willing to put their clubs into debt or freely bankroll them, most are now looking to make a return from their investment.

The raft of new stadiums being built and on the drawing board, plus projects to increase capacity at existing grounds, means the top clubs are set to generate even more income. Add to that the untapped potential for TV rights and merchandising in parts of Asia, the Middle East, and now the USA (courtesy of one D. Beckham) and the rich are set to get richer. Whether that’s good for the long term future of the game is another matter entirely.

Are foreign owners good for the Premier League?

Here are the richest clubs in Britain, as featured in accountants Deloitte’s 2007 Football Money League, and how they make their money.

Arsenal

The Gunners' new stadium, which has proven to be an excellent investment for the team. Latest figures reveal the club's turnover has broken £200 million without coming near the budget for new talent. The move to the Emirate's stadium from Highbury means the Gunners are generating more than £3m a game, although just who is paying £92 for a seat at a game is a mystery.

06/07 revenue: €286.8 million

Manchester United

United fell to fourth place on the 2007 Football Money League, despite remaining the most profitable football club in the world. Their comparatively lowly position was thanks largely to an indifferent 2005/06 season (they were knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage). However, a successful campaign on the pitch last season, plus the expansion of Old Trafford, a more lucrative sponsorship deal with AIG and increased TV money should see them challenging Real Madrid and Barcelona at the top of the list once again in 2008.

05/06 revenue: €242.6 million

Chelsea

One man who definitely isn’t in the football business to make a profit is Roman Abramovich. He’s splashed out again this summer on Florent Malouda and Alex, although the activity was to nowhere near the same extent as in previous transfer windows. The Champions League is the holy grail, as is raising their profile elsewhere in the world, hence their summer tours to Asia and the US.

05/06 revenue: €221 million

Liverpool

The George Gillett/Tom Hicks takeover in March meant Liverpool had money to invest again in the transfer market. Perhaps more crucially for their longer-term prospects, plans have just been unveiled for a new 60,000-capacity stadium. With Anfield currently sold out every game, the extra seats can’t come quick enough. Another great performance in last season’s Champions League also boosted the club’s coffers.

05/06 revenue: €176 million

Newcastle

The Magpies were another club who seemed to be on the up financially following sportswear mogul Mike Ashley’s takeover. However, higher than expected levels of debt have led to some concerns. Despite this, an extremely loyal set of fans means games are always well attended and there are plans to expand St James’ Park. A Champions League place at the end of the season would reward everyone for their investment in the club.

05/06 revenue: €124.3 million

Spurs

Tottenham may always miss out on that coveted Champions League place, but that doesn’t stop them having a high turnover. White Hart Lane is always packed with a loyal fan base, but plans to raise capacity to 50,000 are in the pipeline. Although with significantly smaller capacity than Arsenal it may only be a matter of time before another new stadium in North London is on the cards.

05/06 revenue: €107.2 million

Manchester City

A controversial takeover and a spiralling pile of debts - it’s a good job the team got off to a good start in the Premier League. City announced a £7.1 million loss in the six months to November 2006 and it will be interesting to see if Thaksin Shinawatra plugs the holes.

05/06 revenue: €89.4 million

Rangers

Despite losing out on the field to Glasgow rivals Celtic for the last two seasons, the Gers have actually made more money off it. Despite this, large debts mean they can’t compete in the transfer market and they are hoping a place in the Champions League group stage will give them a much-needed windfall.

05/06 revenue: €88.5 million

West Ham

Having endured a summer of headlines about everything but football, the Hammers will be glad the new season is here. The takeover by a consortium headed by Icelander Eggert Magnusson injected some much needed funds into the club. But the biggest boost to the club’s coffers was their last-day survival in the Premier League.

05/06 revenue: €60.1 million

i still don't see how you're rich if you have more going out than coming in ?

I don't think they have more going out. From what I've read, they have a turnover of £200.8m, then around £89m wage bill (50% of turnover), debt repayments of £18 per year at a fixed rate over 25 years. They have a about £73m in cash reserves in the Arsenal account not spent.

Anyway this is what the BBC have to say: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/mihirbose/2007/09/arsenal_set_pace_on_and_off_th.html

By the way, the debt is not 353m, but has been reduced to 255m.  I'm interested in Economics so I tend to read up on the finances.

I don't think they have more going out. From what I've read, they have a turnover of £200.8m, then around £89m wage bill (50% of turnover), debt repayments of £18 per year at a fixed rate over 25 years. They have a about £73m in cash reserves in the Arsenal account not spent.

Anyway this is what the BBC have to say: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/mihirbose/2007/09/arsenal_set_pace_on_and_off_th.html

By the way, the debt is not 353m, but has been reduced to 255m.  I'm interested in Economics so I tend to read up on the finances.

i meant us

i meant us

Oh, sorry, I misread your post.

A wealthy business sometimes (in some years) spends more than they earn and in other years (most of them) they earn more than they spend.  That is the case with us, we are a very rich club, have been for almost 15 years, but some years we have spent more than we have earned, as have the other four of the top five financial clubs.

None of this "Top Five" thing is news, though, is it?

We have been in the top four (or since the Russian arrived at the joke London club) in the top five financial "rich list" in the UK (9th to 13th in the world) for the last 15 years or so.

The only real difference is that in the last year or so, the "mid table also-rans" (financially) like Spurs/Everton, etc, have got closer to us and we have lost ground on the other four rich clubs.

Although it does not alter our earned income at all (Turnover) at the time, when and if Ashley does start letting us spend some of HIS money (making our money available to buy players more 'flexible', rather than being a specific budget based only on earned income / Turnover) then the hoped for success that that should bring (Champions League qualification again, etc) will 'eventually' lead to improved earned income / Turnover figures.

That should enable us to pull away from the mid-table clubs (in financial terms) and re-open the financial gap between us (the big five financial clubs) and the rest, again.

I would imagine that Man City, Aston Villa and even West Ham, would hope that they can (similarly) move closer to us!  Let's hope our financial development/improvement under Ashley, exceeds theirs (to re-widen the gap) as well as hopefully starting to exceed the level of development of Liverpool, Chelsea, etc.

If Ashley knows what he is doing (and he certainly does seem to, financially) -  it could and should happen.   

A wealthy business sometimes (in some years) spends more than they earn and in other years (most of them) they earn more than they spend.  That is the case with us, we are a very rich club, have been for almost 15 years, but some years we have spent more than we have earned, as have the other top five.

None of this "Top Five" thing is news, is it? We have been in the top four (or since the Russian arrived at the joke London club) in the top five financial "rich list" for the last 15 years or so.

The only real difference is that in the last year or so, the "mid table also-rans" (financially) like Spurs/Everton, etc, have got closer to us and we have lost ground on the other four rich clubs.

Although it does not alter our earned income at all (Turnover) at the time, when and if Ashley does start letting us spend some of HIS money (making our money available to buy players more 'flexible', rather than being a specific budget based on earned income, then the hoped for success that brings (Champions League qualification again, etc) will 'eventually' lead to improved Turnover figures.

That should enable us to pull away from the mid-table clubs (in financial terms) and re-open the financial gap between us (the big five financial clubs) and the rest, again.

I would imagine that Man City, Aston Villa and even West Ham, would hope that they can (similarly) move closer to us!  Let's hope our financial development/improvement under Ashley, exceeds theirs (to re-widen the gap) as well as hopefully starting to exceed the level of development of Liverpool, Chelsea, etc.

If Ashley knows what he is doing (and he certainly does seem to, financially) -  it could and should happen. 

seems i've been mislead,i thought we survived on debt.

A wealthy business sometimes (in some years) spends more than they earn and in other years (most of them) they earn more than they spend.  That is the case with us, we are a very rich club, have been for almost 15 years, but some years we have spent more than we have earned, as have the other top five.

None of this "Top Five" thing is news, is it? We have been in the top four (or since the Russian arrived at the joke London club) in the top five financial "rich list" for the last 15 years or so.

Although it does not alter our earned income at all (Turnover) at the time, when and if Ashley does start letting us spend some of HIS money (making our money available to buy players more 'flexible', rather than being a specific budget based on earned income, then the hoped for success that brings (Champions League qualification again, etc) will 'eventually' lead to improved Turnover figures.

Depends on how you define 'survived'

Operating wise (wages, interest etc) we've been ok.

Capital (player purchase) wise we've borrowed heavily.

Not unusual at all, although in hindsight (most would argue you could see it at the time) we borrowed too much at once and spent it unwisely. One of the two you can get away with, both and you're in trouble.

Not according to the accounts I have seen.

There has been a significant long-term debt built up in the form of loans to finance the redevelopment of the ground, training ground, etc.  Long term debt (loans etc for capital projects) is different to making a trading profit / trading loss, in any given year.

Ashley is tackling this, also, as I am sure you know.

There has been a significant long-term debt built up in the form of loans to finance the redevelopment of the ground, training ground, etc.  Long term debt (loans etc for capital projects) is different to making a trading profit / trading loss, in any given year.

i'm just looking at it purely as our debts against out assets and how much the club can get their hands on without borrowing.

There has been a significant long-term debt built up in the form of loans to finance the redevelopment of the ground, training ground, etc.  Long term debt (loans etc for capital projects) is different to making a trading profit / trading loss, in any given year.

i'm just looking at it purely as our debts against out assets and how much the club can get their hands on without borrowing.

Successful businesses do not hoard cash, they use it. If they need to make a large investment, they borrow the amount required, secured (if they are rich enough, as we are) against current and planned future income levels.

Thats how it works.

Businesses are not banks. They do not keep huge amounts of unused cash lying around.

Successful businesses do not hoard cash, they use it. If they need to make a large investment, they borrow the amount required, secured (if they are rich enough, as we are) against current and planned future income levels.

Thats how it works.

Businesses are not banks. They do not keep huge amounts of unused cash lying around.

yeah i get all that but we've made big losses (end of year accounts) without making big profits in other years,which is why the share price was shagged.we werent rich,big turnover aye,but rich ?

Thats how it works.

yeah i get all that but we've made big losses (end of year accounts) without making big profits in other years,which is why the share price was shagged.we werent rich,big turnover aye,but rich ?

I have not got any of the paperwork in front of me, but I am aware that we made a trading profit in most years and a trading loss in some.

We have a large turnover, we make a profit most years, we have a pretty guaranteed high income stream - we are rich.

If you choose not to accept/believe that, I doubt if there are any words that I can think of, that will change your mind!!!

I have not got any of the paperwork in front of me, but I am aware that we made a trading profit in most years and a trading loss in some.

We have a large turnover, we make a profit most years, we have a pretty guaranteed high income stream - we are rich.

If you choose not to accept/believe that, I doubt if there are any words that I can think of, that will change your mind!!!

Turnover for 8 years ....

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/gates210.gif

Profits in those years (before dividends)

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/profit2.gif

after dividends ...

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/profit5.gif

our ever-rising, out of control wages

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/payrol5.gif

++++++++++++++++

The smaller, lesser successful Spurs turnover ...

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/spurs/income10.gif

with profits of

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/spurs/profit1.gif

and wages of

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/spurs/payrol7.gif

and a debt situation (before this summer's big buys) of ...

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/spurs/debt2.1.gif

Hope NE5 is here to mock me  :coolsmiley:

Turnover for 8 years ....

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/gates210.gif

Profits in those years (before dividends)

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/profit2.gif

after dividends ...

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/profit5.gif

our ever-rising, out of control wages

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/payrol5.gif

++++++++++++++++

The smaller, lesser successful Spurs turnover ...

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/spurs/income10.gif

with profits of

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/spurs/profit1.gif

and wages of

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/spurs/payrol7.gif

and a debt situation (before this summer's big buys) of ...

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/spurs/debt2.1.gif

Hope NE5 is here to mock me  :coolsmiley:

Fuckin' 'ell mate. Brilliant post.

It's absolutely clear, looking at '03 and '04, how much a difference, financially, Champions League makes. We fuckin' broke even and even were in profit for once.

Unbelievable. Fourth IS the new first.

Guest Anders Rye

Anyone know how big our payroll is now after Dyer, Parker, Solano and Luque has left? Surely it must be a lot smaller, can only think of Viduka and Barton who are up there.

Guest shaun11177

These rich lists only ever take account of Turnover they never include the costs, debts etc+the owner. If Chelsea had a turnover of 50p they would still be the richest club.

I would think our Turnover will be about 100m this season with Wages at about 60m, interest on loans about 5m and running costs 22m leaving us about 13m for transfers.

The debt was about 80m and Ashley reduced it to 50m, he cant reduce it any further because he would have to pay about 5 years interest up front of about 20m.