What do you class as success

ToonTastic

Guest bluegeordie

This season - a top 6 finish; a decent run in the FA Cup; and a fatal crash in the club car park involving Stroller and Patty, and witnessed by Carr and Babayaro, who are too traumatised to ever play football again (not that the latter was ever likely to anyway ...)   

The following few seasons - a minimum of a top 6 finish, and preferably top 4; and a cup trophy at some point (the EUFA or FA would obviously be better than the Carling)

Ultimately - the EPL and Champions League titles, complete with - gulp! - consistently "sexy football" at St James's ... providing that does not involve the "second cumming" of the Rudd Boy :shifty:     

Finishing above last seasons position in the league/carling cup/fa cup

Better home record where teams are scared to play football at

Concede less and score more goals than the last season... that will be success for us even if we are out of the carling cup if we do well at all the rest...

Guest bluegeordie

Finishing above last seasons position in the league/carling cup/fa cup

Better home record where teams are scared to play football at

Concede less and score more goals than the last season... that will be success for us even if we are out of the carling cup if we do well at all the rest...

Given our signing of wor Joey and Smith, I think we can safely assume that, regardless of our results  ;) 

This season top 8 and good FA Cup run

agreed entirely. we need to do well, but its too much to expect a new manager to come in and instantly move us up from 13th to 6th all in one season! look at villa- they moved up what about 4 or 5 places when oneill came in? if we move from 13th to 8th, and give the fa cup a good go ill be happy this season. we need long term stability, and the injuries arent going to instantly sort themselves out- hopefully this season will be better than last, and so on.

A top 10 this year, a top 6 next year and the following three years consolidate our position as a top 6 side before we aim for the top 4 will be mint.

This season top 8 and good FA Cup run

agreed entirely. we need to do well, but its too much to expect a new manager to come in and instantly move us up from 13th to 6th all in one season! look at villa- they moved up what about 4 or 5 places when oneill came in? if we move from 13th to 8th, and give the fa cup a good go ill be happy this season. we need long term stability, and the injuries arent going to instantly sort themselves out- hopefully this season will be better than last, and so on.

Last season was an aberration. We had a massive injury crisis that meant we couldn't play the same defense for more than 2 games in a row at any point in the season, and forced the manager's hand in the transfer market in that he had to spend most of his budget on a replacement main striker. Even Roeder's harshest critics must concede that we would have had different transfer priorities and had better performances/results last year without those problems. Allardyce inherited a squad which finished 7th under a mixture of Souness (under constant threat of the sack) and Roeder (as a caretaker manager) - hardly a scenario conducive to getting the best out of a team. The only significant departure from that squad was an ageing Shearer, and it had been boosted by the addition of Martins. He had the entire Summer to make his transfers (unhindered by a Summer international tournament) with as big a budget as previous managers have had on average. There may have been a bit of pissing around when Ashley first took over which may have affected some transfers, but other than that the ownership change cannot be used as an excuse for performances on the pitch now.

Barring another major injury crisis, I don't see why it should not be a realistic target for Allardyce to match or better that 7th this season. [That's not to say I think he should be kicked out if we don't get 7th btw before someone accuses me of saying that.]

That's sad.

And probably one of the major reasons we won't win anything is we don't have a winning attitude and many supporters are happy to settle for second best.

Guest Knightrider

And probably one of the major reasons we won't win anything is we don't have a winning attitude and many supporters are happy to settle for second best.

If anything we'll scupper any chance of success by being too demanding and too impatient.

All depends. If we were to win the F A Cup this season but finish 12th - is that success?

League position is the only way to measure how we compare with the other clubs in the country over the course of the year. As such. I'd say qualifying for the Champions League on a regular basis would be regarded as success.

It's open to interpretation though. Very arbitrary.  blueyes.gif

Guest Knightrider

For me it is all about the long-term and I'm prepared to accept a few bad seasons if it enables us to prosper in the near future which I know is a quirk of football sometimes because I've seen it with my own two eyes under Sir Bobby. Outside of the top ten, then three top five finishes.

I can think like this because I have faith in the manager and his methods that are pretty strong. With this in mind I'm just looking for clear signs of progress this season. Luckily for us/me I've seen tons since he took over and know he hasn't even started yet.

I'd be happy with a top 8 finish this season.

Long term, top 4 league wise and an end to that elusive silverware hunt.

Stating that 5th or 6th is success. It's not. It's exactly what it is

And it get's worse with others thinking that top 8 finish is success.

People taking pluses from a defeat by a team that now has a goal difference of minus 16. FFS.

People who think this has been a great start to the season when in actual fact, if we hadn't picked these points up against poor teams we'd be struggling by Christmas.

People who think ameobi is worth a place in the team or even on the subs bench when he shouldn't be within 100 miles of a team that has any ambition.

Guest Knightrider

People taking pluses from a defeat by a team that now has a goal difference of minus 16. FFS.

People who think this has been a great start to the season when in actual fact, if we hadn't picked these points up against poor teams we'd be struggling by Christmas.

People who think ameobi is worth a place in the team or even on the subs bench when he shouldn't be within 100 miles of a team that has any ambition.

http://www.health-in-action.org/library/pdf/Shaken%20Baby/Images/Waa%20cry%20baby2.jpg

People on an internet message board affect the club's ability to win things? ???

What do you class as success for this club?