Man City 3 - 1 Newcastle - 29/09/2007 - Post match reaction from page 19

Wullie

They spent a lot of money to be creative, we're not blessed in that department - that's just about it really. I think Sam went for a battling draw and didn't change it early enough when the wheels fell off. Not the first time we've given away daft goals, won't be the last either. We'll have to be patient for a while longer. Wish we could keep the ball for more than two passes though.

Guest optimistic nit

anyone saying we played shite needs their heads checked. we were the better team in the first half, away, against manchester citeh (who are now very good). i'm dissapointed with the result, but pleased with the performance, although we never really looked like getting back into it after we went behind.

i dont think we're that bad and we will get better .. we just needed better protection for the back four and more creativity going forward ... 

man city dominated the midfiled, they are very impressive

How many times, they were up against NOTHING

To be honest I thought we did well in the first half, but were second best in the second.

I would rather have seen us convert to 4-4-2 after their goal as the 4-3-3 system isn't (in our case) good for when you're chasing the game.

Enrique needs to start to allow N'Zogbia to play on the left, I thought Taylor had a bad game as did all of our midfield three. Martins did nothing in the second half apart from give the ball away, and I thing Sam's got a lot of thinking to do about the centreback pairing. He needs to pick what he thinks is his best pairing and stick with them.

Overall i'm devestated about the result, not in the "Sam's shite" "sell ..... whoever" way, but hopefully this will give the players (and manager) a clearer view of where we are in terms of developing the team.

Still, it's ruined my fucking Saturday.

anyone saying we played shite needs their heads checked. we were the better team in the first half, away, against manchester citeh (who are now very good). i'm dissapointed with the result, but pleased with the performance, although we never really looked like getting back into it after we went behind.

I'd say it was a slightly below-par performance considering we were away at a team that never loses at home, with only one player (Butt) really disappointing.

Its not the complete shambles that others are making it out to be.

Guest optimistic nit

Why is everything knee jerk?..what do you expect we have had years of s**** like this under Souness and Roeder this is no different. A different team a different era its all just f****** false dawns. Allardyce has bought s**** journeymen footballers lets be honest here. whats the point in having a team of hard workers when you sacrfice the talent in the team for it.Geremi is s**** when will people realise the top 4 teams get rid of these players because they have had it.We got rid of Dyer and solano and in one fell swoop we lost our pace and creativity in midfield now we cant pass, tackle or have a clue about anything football related. we have now played 7 games and not one single goal has come from a midfielder doesnt the big fat b****** see that  its just no good.Why oh why is it that no matter what players we have in defence they all become total s*** and have no idea of defending.I watch a lot of football and i never see another team defend so terribly and so embarassing, i cringe everytime i watch us on tv now its just f****** awful

This ugly boring standard of clueless football must stop or Allardyce will not last the year out, we have not had a decent team with a clue of how to play since old bob was there.and why does our last 3 managers not have a clue about substitutions it was plain to see that we needed enrique and emre on as soon as city scored there second.

Im dreading the Mackem game now after watching our away performances its just total s**** to watch

Rant over im going to get very drunk fall asleep and forget that my team is a f****** joke and total and utter s****

Seriously dude ... get a life.

You are comlpetely clueless about football. You are really an embarrassment.

Souness and Roeder? You disgust me.

Honestly though he has some points. Sven just gave us a lesson today in 'why grafters will never win against skill away from home.' And our midfield utterly lacked creativity and even moreso pace. When Roeder blamed injuries we all rightly laughed him all the way out of the club but now its OK that Sam has no (EPL standard) cover for most positions?

If you can't see that Man City dominated us for almost the entirety of the game then it is you who have no idea about football.

no he's a fucking tool. we played good football today for the record, but what the fuck are you expecting? sam and mort to come in and transform us into a PL winning side overnight? we were fucked defensively before they came in, well and truely fucked. we've finally, after many years stregnthened that department, yet now your blaming them for not buying you an attacking player. these things take time.

we wern't dominated for the entirity of the game either. we were equal until they scored.

Guest Novocastrian

Why is everything knee jerk?..what do you expect we have had years of s**** like this under Souness and Roeder this is no different. A different team a different era its all just f****** false dawns. Allardyce has bought s**** journeymen footballers lets be honest here. whats the point in having a team of hard workers when you sacrfice the talent in the team for it.Geremi is s**** when will people realise the top 4 teams get rid of these players because they have had it.We got rid of Dyer and solano and in one fell swoop we lost our pace and creativity in midfield now we cant pass, tackle or have a clue about anything football related. we have now played 7 games and not one single goal has come from a midfielder doesnt the big fat b****** see that  its just no good.Why oh why is it that no matter what players we have in defence they all become total s*** and have no idea of defending.I watch a lot of football and i never see another team defend so terribly and so embarassing, i cringe everytime i watch us on tv now its just f****** awful

This ugly boring standard of clueless football must stop or Allardyce will not last the year out, we have not had a decent team with a clue of how to play since old bob was there.and why does our last 3 managers not have a clue about substitutions it was plain to see that we needed enrique and emre on as soon as city scored there second.

Im dreading the Mackem game now after watching our away performances its just total s**** to watch

Rant over im going to get very drunk fall asleep and forget that my team is a f****** joke and total and utter s****

Honestly though he has some points. Sven just gave us a lesson today in 'why grafters will never win against skill away from home.' And our midfield utterly lacked creativity and even moreso pace. When Roeder blamed injuries we all rightly laughed him all the way out of the club but now its OK that Sam has no (EPL standard) cover for most positions?

If you can't see that Man City dominated us for almost the entirety of the game then it is you who have no idea about football.

Agreed, far from being top 4 world beaters, City have looked fairly shaky in several of their games this season. Yet they made us look static, sluggish and one dimensional. This was another poor performance added to the couple of average performances and all the other poor performances this season. Sam needs to rebuild, change the philosophy of the club, recruit new players and integrate them quickly, that's a big job. However, in the meantime the fans need to see signs of progress and the football we have seen this season has been very poor. Tactics have been bewildering and the football functional and boring. No knee-jerk here just an honest appraisal of a team and manager looking bereft of ideas.

one of my main worries is that sam, in a similar fashion to roeder, is too reluctant to make a decisive tactical switch.  As people have said, we did very well in the first half, but as soon as we went down, there was no reason to continue playing as we did, but we didn't get any change until enrique came on much too late.

no he's a f****** tool. we played good football today for the record, but what the f*** are you expecting? sam and mort to come in and transform us into a PL winning side overnight? we were f***** defensively before they came in, well and truely f*****. we've finally, after many years stregnthened that department, yet now your blaming them for not buying you an attacking player. these things take time.

we wern't dominated for the entirity of the game either. we were equal until they scored.

Thanks for doing that ... just couldn't find the energy to reply. Some people on here are just so dissapointing.

one of my main worries is that sam, in a similar fashion to roeder, is too reluctant to make a decisive tactical switch.  As people have said, we did very well in the first half, but as soon as we went down, there was no reason to continue playing as we did, but we didn't get any change until enrique came on much too late.

Aye, that's the thing. Once their second went in, we needed to make changes. I can't stand to see us going a goal down, but making no changes to get back into the match.

Guest Harry-Norway

It's amazing that Sven built a majority of that team in only a few weeks

Sven have done a great job with City as he did with England,its a manager of that caliber Toon needs,for me Sam looks the same as GR and GS tried with no luck.

Sven is more like KK and to be honest i`d rather liked loosing 3-4 against Pool in the 90th`s then the boring way of fotball we play today

Guest shaun11177

Dont care if we have all our players fit 433 isnt going to work

Martins took his goal very well despite the slagging he got on this board recently he should stay in the team whether Owen is fit or not.

If we continue playing Smith in midfield we are wasting his time and ours.

Taylor has clearly lost his way and Milner didnt get a proper break after last season and it shows.

Also the 2nd goal was a carbon copy of the one we conceded against Bolton we have learned nothing.

I thought Sam would be a better tactician than the previous 2 occupants but so far we havent seen that.

Disappointing result and performance.

And another really disappointing team selection by Big Sam, Enrique needed his match fitness so should of played his consecutive game allowing N'Zogbia to play Left Wing also the threat of Martins was wasted by playing so deep and wide he needs to play up top with Viduka with N'Zogbia and Milner as wingers to provide if we are to course teams problems and have balance going forward.

Ratings...

Given - made some top saves could not of saved the goals (7)

Beye - showed his energy and tackling skills but Petrov got in behind him far to many times (5.5)

Taylor - poor game by his high standards seemed to struggle not having a Striker close to dominant (5.5)

Rozenhal - massively at fault for the first goal in no mans land so high up the pitch, he is so poor at defending the space in behind which is such a important part of defending, Elano was just playing the threw passes behind him so easily (4)

N'Zogbia - his lack of defensive positioning is obvious the sooner Big Sam moves him Left Wing the better (5.5)

Butt - should of played deeper and picked up Elano more he gave far too many passes away and too many freekicks (5.5)

Geremi - neat and tidy performance produced a fantastic delivery pass for Martins over the top (6)

Smith - work rate was good as always and won so many 50-50 balls and headers but lacked any sort of forward movement or quality passing (6)

Milner - provide some good moments and his work rate helped but seems uncomfortable not wide in a 4-4-2 (6)

Martins - fantastic movement touch and finish for the goal but was wasted so deep and wide thanks to Big Sam (6)

Viduka - needs a partner to thrive Big Sam prevented that needed delivery from wide Big Sam prevented that (6)

Big Sam - playing Martins so deep and wide does not get the best out of him and playing Viduka so isolated does not get the best out of him, playing N'Zogbia left back when Enrique was fit and needed the 2nd consecutive start for his fitness and playing 4-3-3 with the main tactic of containing the opposition does not get the best out of our team and does not get the best out of our attacking talent of Martins, Viduka, N'Zogbia, Milner.

4-4-2 is a must...

:catmag:

3 defensive midfielders, not one of them got close to Elano's shadow all game. What a f****** player.

Judge him when he's marked, he was up against NOTHING today, probably couldn't believe his luck

For all the talk and off field activities SA had given since coming here, nothing much has changed has it?

Were still losing far too many games, still picking up too many injuries, we've still got a small squad, we've still got gaping holes on the park and were still looking toothless in attack. Only now we've got a manager hell bent on bringing in a formation no one wants, i'm seriously not impressed with SA on the field so far, and that for me is where it counts.

A full season of this shit? We need to buy desperately in Jan.

:catmag:

3 defensive midfielders, not one of them got close to Elano's shadow all game. What a f****** player.

Judge him when he's marked, he was up against NOTHING today, probably couldn't believe his luck

You cant mark a player when he is taking a free kick.