Nicky Butt

captainhaircut

What has this guy done to be exempt from criticism? A handful of half decent games last season and a fight with Chimbonda and all of a sudden he's the saviour. To me, he's literally useless. As in, he has no use at all.

He can't pass it, he rarely wins tackles and he barely breaks up play. People claim he picks up good positions and protects his defence. He didn;t do that at all today. A good defensive midfielder such as Makelele or Hargreaves would have shut down the area where Elano was destroying us. Butt was nowhere to be seen.

Can't wait for Barton to be fit so we can ditch him from the 16 all together. Hopefully N'Zogbia will be released from left back and Smith can go as well. At the momentm we have two central midfielders out of 3 who can't pass a ball. Genius.

We desperately need Barton or Emre back and playing well, the current options in CM are horrible in terms of playing it a bit and penetrating teams.

It's not Butt's natural game, or Geremi's for that matter. So without someone better going forward they have to try and do it, and disaster ensues.

Whoever gets the nod for the DM spot once Barton gets back will start to look a lot better with someone more naturally attack minded beside them.

I'd like to see us line up with N'Zogbia and Martins either side of Viduka, with Emre, Barton and Geremi in midfield. I would use Emre quite far forward as well. I remember the game against Everton when he played just off Shola and was superb. Think we need another target man to replace Shola, a creative midfield player and right winger. I'd let Butt and Shola go.

Its not just Nicky Butt who has been shocking lately, Geremi is woeful and all Smith does is run around with no end product.

We desperately need Joey Barton back and Emre in the team as a central midfield partnership, with N'Zogbia and Milner outside them in a 442, because all we seem to be these days is a defensive side with no spark, and Barton and Emre will provide that spark which will in turn help the strikers who have had no support over the last couple of games (not counting N'Zogbia vs West Ham)

Guest Hodgson09

The whole team was shocking today, but Butt has no place in the team when Barton and Emre are fit, and I dare say either does Smith or Geremi, they really offer nothing attacking wise, and barely anything defensive wise. It seems the strikers have to create their own chances or wait for N'Zogbia to give them a half decent chance.

I do think he's underperforming, but I wonder if there's a something of the Speed/Jenas combo happening here? Speed looked shocking for a long time in the middle, but when you go back and look at those matches he's having to do so much more work because of an underperforming Jenas and Robert. Perhaps not to that extent. All the same, I suspect he'd look better with Barton alongside him.

Yes. I shamefully admit, I am a Nicky Butt fan. :(

He had his worst game of the season today but it is Sam's fault for not putting Emre in for him after the break...

That made no sense at all did it?  ??? And Taylor for Faye? Why?

What didn't make sense to you ??? How was Butt ??? Do you know what SH*T is ? That is how he performed today....Emre should have come on for Butt from the first 15 minutes as even a blind person could see Butt was playing crap...Geremi should have stayed on...

Taylor was horrible too and Faye should have replaced much much earlier....

SAM you are an idiot...honestly Sam was a joke today...

I wouldn't call Butt useless because he generally does a good job defensively, but he's very poor in possession. He wastes a lot of good situations by passing badly, or negatively. The player in his position gets a lot of the ball and we shouldn't have someone there who can't pass.

I wouldn't call Butt useless because he generally does a good job defensively, but he's very poor in possession. He wastes a lot of good situations by passing badly, or negatively. The player in his position gets a lot of the ball and we shouldn't have someone there who can't pass.

See, I think this is rubbish, tbh. Not everything he tries comes off, but many of his passes are anything but negative.

Guest Hodgson09

He had his worst game of the season today but it is Sam's fault for not putting Emre in for him after the break...

What didn't make sense to you ??? How was Butt ??? Do you know what SH*T is ? That is how he performed today....Emre should have come on for Butt from the first 15 minutes as even a blind person could see Butt was playing crap...Geremi should have stayed on...

I think you missed his point mate pretty sure he was saying Sams substitutions didn't make sense. Your post made sense.

See, I think this is rubbish, tbh. Not everything he tries comes off, but many of his passes are anything but negative.

There are situations where a forward ball is on, but he's under a bit of pressure. Someone more comfortable with the ball would be able to make the pass. Butt usually does a Parker ie turns round to shield the ball, and then gives it to the back four. You couldn't call it a mistake, just a waste.

You only get a certain number of good situations in a match, and it's important to take advantage.

I think Butt would be fine if he were the only defensive player in the 3 man central midfield, where he can concentrate on doing a defensive job and giving the ball to better footballers around him.

Im glad hes not captain, as plenty of people wanted him to be. Been saying all summer that hes someone who's form could easily go downhill considering his age and the type of player he is. Ideally, he'll be slowly ousted from the first team squad by the likes of Faye and Geremi, purely because there probably better at doing the same job whilst being far more competent and consistent on the ball.

I think you missed his point mate pretty sure he was saying Sams substitutions didn't make sense. Your post made sense.

Ahhh you are right...Apologies to Toon Army...I'm just soooo fu*king annoyed with Sam's Substitutions that I didn't read his reply properly...