Buying players too late in the window

KaKa

One habit that we absolutely have to put an end to at this club. It's a big part of the reason why we are still uncertain in many areas of the team. No surprise that Rozehnal and Viduka have been the best newcomers as they arrived so early in the window.

Unfortuantely the late arrival of both Enrique and Beye has meant that our defence is still very much a work in progress. I love Zoggy but they took advantage of his naivety and bad positioning today, he's just not a natural defender and really shouldn't be played there against very good attacking teams. Beye is really getting a baptism of fire and will eventually be great for us but at the moment he is certainly learning the hard way as he has had a few hairy moments.

I have to say that we have been extremely unlucky with both Emre and Barton being injured at the start of the season as we would be a very different team with either in our midfiled. I mean seriously, could you imagine that same City side without Elano? or Petrov?

It hurts guys, but we need to show a little patience. I'm still excited and optimistic about our chances this season.

It hasn't helped. And again i pointed this out when the dealings were happening, and again got lampooned by the usual thought police on here for being too impatient.

Enrique has to start games, there is no excuse anymore, the fuker should be fit enough, he's a pro for god sake not some cunt off the street.

Considering we needed massive amounts of players in over the summer, it can be forgiven this summer.

We've assembled a solid squad now, and next summer I would imagine we'll be looking to add two or three really quality players to it rather than going for another compleet overhaul.

I'm sure we'll deal with that better and get all the necessary players in in time.

Guest Knightrider

It can't be helped. You can't make up the rules as you go along, you just have to abide by them and the transfer market dictates you not the other way around in most cases. We did well to get most of them in in good time as we did. I agree with the sentiment of course but it's just not workable.

Guest bluegeordie

C

One habit that we absolutely have to put an end to at this club. It's a big part of the reason why we are still uncertain in many areas of the team. No surprise that Rozehnal and Viduka have been the best newcomers as they arrived so early in the window.

Unfortuantely the late arrival of both Enrique and Beye has meant that our defence is still very much a work in progress. I love Zoggy but they took advantage of his naivety and bad positioning today, he's just not a natural defender and really shouldn't be played there against very good attacking teams. Beye is really getting a baptism of fire and will eventually be great for us but at the moment he is certainly learning the hard way as he has had a few hairy moments.

I have to say that we have been extremely unlucky with both Emre and Barton being injured at the start of the season as we would be a very different team with either in our midfiled. I mean seriously, could you imagine that same City side without Elano? or Petrov?

It hurts guys, but we need to show a little patience. I'm still excited and optimistic about our chances this season.

:clap: Completely agree with all of this - the defence will get better, especially imo if we settle with Beye, Rozenhal, Cacapa, and Enrique as the first choice line-up.     

Guest jamesmartinsmith

C

:clap: Completely agree with all of this - the defence will get better, especially imo if we settle with Beye, Rozenhal, Cacapa, and Enrique as the first choice line-up.   

We need to see more of Cacapa before he can be put ahead of Taylor.

Guest MaetihS

C

You are joking. Taylor is so so overrated, no wonder my Man City fan mate keeps laughing at me when he has read news about how good Taylor is.  Taylor is our last choice CB in my view.  I have seen him made too many mistakes with his poor positioning and decisions to know that a Lyon Captain must be at least better than him.  I even dare to say that Taylor will be our next Bramble: decent game here and there, but more crap games that cost us games. 

This is simply a feature of the transfer window system. Some players will be available early on but there will always be clubs and players (via their agents) wanting to hang on as late as possible. I think this is obvious and that everyone knows this already.

C

You are joking. Taylor is so so overrated, no wonder my Man City fan mate keeps laughing at me when he has read news about how good Taylor is.  Taylor is our last choice CB in my view.  I have seen him made too many mistakes with his poor positioning and decisions to know that a Lyon Captain must be at least better than him.  I even dare to say that Taylor will be our next Bramble: decent game here and there, but more crap games that cost us games. 

Nail on head.

C

Nail on head.

i agree bang a nail in his head

It hasn't helped. And again i pointed this out when the dealings were happening, and again got lampooned by the usual thought police on here for being too impatient.

Enrique has to start games, there is no excuse anymore, the fuker should be fit enough, he's a pro for god sake not some c*** off the street.

So now he's already getting stick for not being picked? A fuker? Cunt? Jesus christ, are you serious?

Guest FlapjackJoe

Enrique has to start games, there is no excuse anymore, the fuker should be fit enough, he's a pro for god sake not some c*** off the street.

So now he's already getting stick for not being picked? A fuker? Cunt? Jesus christ, are you serious?

Yeah, I fully agree.  Big Sam isn't picking him, so off with Jose Enrique's head!  ;)

Anyway, re the transfer system, everyone thinks there are just 2 transfer windoes during which to do business.  But clubs can sign players at any stage (for example right now), the player can obviously only start playing for his new club after the transfer window.  So, yes, now might be the time to look around for an start signing players (since we're still in the top half of the table, we should move fast!), and get them to move here in January.

Howaythelads was spot on though, sometimes clubs and/or players and their agents are holding out for better offers, which would cause deals to get delayed as long as possible until they realise they're not getting better deals, there's no real solution for that...

OK would  you not have the players we bought in the last couple weeks of the window? i mean life without beye, faye, and enrique as options would be grand.

if the deal could have been done earlier it would have that's just how the transfer market works, leave it up to the professionals

This is simply a feature of the transfer window system. Some players will be available early on but there will always be clubs and players (via their agents) wanting to hang on as late as possible. I think this is obvious and that everyone knows this already.

To me it looks rather a special feature of the transfer window system in England. I can't think of any other league where so many of the deals are left until the very end of the window. E.G.here in Germany most teams have their squads more or less assembled before they start with pre-season training, not to mention the start start of the season itself. And there are normally not more than a handful of major transfers in the top flight once the season has started.

To me it looks rather a special feature of the transfer window system in England. I can't think of any other league where so many of the deals are left until the very end of the window. E.G.here in Germany most teams have their squads more or less assembled before they start with pre-season training, not to mention the start start of the season itself. And there are normally not more than a handful of major transfers in the top flight once the season has started.

stupid germans...always thinking ahead

Pre-transfer window players used to be signed nearly all year round & there didn't seem to be much of a problem. The best bit since the windows have been introduced is the GET-OUT-JAIL-CARD for player who joined in the Jan window & who has been poop since joining, you can guarantee you will hear from that players boss "He hasn't had a pre-season with us, wait till next season" mackems.gif

Do away with the transfer window. It serves no purpose. Transfers generate interest among fans, clubs and keep cash flowing. Nobody can predict the amount of injuries you get.

The game was better before they brought it in, and there was no bad time to sign a player like Tony Green.

Guest optimistic nit

Enrique has to start games, there is no excuse anymore, the fuker should be fit enough, he's a pro for god sake not some cunt off the street.

this is why players fail at nufc, there's pressure on the lad before he starts a game. The arse spent 4 million on denilson, how many games has he started? is he some cunt off the street?

we must also be the most impatient bunch of fans on the planet.

A full house of some 40,000 came out for the debut match, the visit of Argentine giants River Plate in the first leg of a tie in the South American Cup, the continent's equivalent of Europe's Uefa Cup....

....On Saturday there were scenes of violence between fans and security guards at the training ground and on Sunday just over 7,000 turned up to their next game - and they had come to protest rather than to support....

...A group of supporters hit the lingerie department before going to the airport to express their contempt for what they denounced as a team of 'dolls'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7021588.stm

:lol:

A full house of some 40,000 came out for the debut match, the visit of Argentine giants River Plate in the first leg of a tie in the South American Cup, the continent's equivalent of Europe's Uefa Cup....

....On Saturday there were scenes of violence between fans and security guards at the training ground and on Sunday just over 7,000 turned up to their next game - and they had come to protest rather than to support....

...A group of supporters hit the lingerie department before going to the airport to express their contempt for what they denounced as a team of 'dolls'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7021588.stm

:lol:

There isn't a great deal of room for patience in football, it's a sport where emotions run very high and you must buy your own time through success, or at the very least show promise of success. There was once a time when Man Utd fans wanted rid of Alex Ferguson, in spite of his success in defeating the Old Firm in Scotland. Many on this board would have you believe we're a unique set of fans because we want success soon, many on here felt embarrassed that 20,000 (mostly kids) welcomed Owen to the club, yet you never hear them highlighting stories like this or when thousands of Barca fans arrived at the Nou Camp to welcome Henry. Just goes to show that football fans are basically the same the world over, and we are no different.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I think one of the reasons we have tended to buy players later in the window in recent years is that we have been buying cast-offs from bigger clubs and have had to wait until these players are surplus to requirements.

How the f*** is August 6th "too late in the window"?

I guess he means because the season started just 5 days after that, meaning anyone signed then would have missed the whole of pre-season.

I think it's very difficult to get all of the players in early, but he is right that it's something every club should strive to do and getting them in for most or all of pre-season can be a big advantage. I think Man Utd had their new boys in very early this summer but then they would have had those targets in place long beforehand and had the money to strike deals early on. We have to haggle and play the market and we've gone through plenty of managers in recent years, none of which helps us.

How the f*** is August 6th "too late in the window"?

I guess he means because the season started just 5 days after that, meaning anyone signed then would have missed the whole of pre-season.

I think it's very difficult to get all of the players in early, but he is right that it's something every club should strive to do and getting them in for most or all of pre-season can be a big advantage. I think Man Utd had their new boys in very early this summer but then they would have had those targets in place long beforehand and had the money to strike deals early on. We have to haggle and play the market and we've gone through plenty of managers in recent years, none of which helps us.

Yet look at the way Ferguson's dealt with Anderson, he's barely played while Nani's been thrown in at the deep end, but even he's been kept back here and there. Clearly he thinks one is more or less ready and the other is perhaps not - and they cost £34m between them.

Sam has done the same with Enrique, his problem being that we have no competent LB that we can play in the mean time, at least not without compromising our attack. Remember he tried to sign Dragutinovic who would have been playing LB right now in preparation for Enrique, that didn't come off, in the end we had to settle for Faye, who is a good CB and CM but can't really cover LB.

Allardyce has been a victim of the form of N'Zogbia in a way, I don't think any of us really expected him to start the season like he has at LB (his pre-season was ok, but nothing special going forward), not even me and I think he's absolute class. The way he's bounced back from last season has been brilliant and that's put pressure on Enrique.

Even so, I think it's got fuck all to do with when we signed him. Cacapa came later and he's been thrown in, because he's got a lot more experience and know-how than Jose has. Ditto Beye.

Agree with every word Wullie said. For Maeths who said Taylor could be the next bramble, most definately, which is why we need do treat him with patience and make him realise his potential. We can't give him the fish-bowl treatment and give him stick like bramble did, but at the moment it seems the other way around, he's becoming overrated and it's getting to his head (refusing that contract). He needs 3 years of steady development, not as an automatic starter but with good competition and good first-team chances and then he'll really start to impress us.

I don't think he'll turn out as bad as bramble, while he does have crap games he doesn't usually 'directly' result in us losing like Bramble so often did.

Do away with the transfer window. It serves no purpose. Transfers generate interest among fans, clubs and keep cash flowing. Nobody can predict the amount of injuries you get.

The game was better before they brought it in, and there was no bad time to sign a player like Tony Green.

I agree totally with this.