Shay Concedes 7 in Three Games

Crumpy Gunt

Guest optimistic nit

Given was poor today, did he make a save?

not that i recal, made a few big mistakes as well. not saying he should be dropped lyke.

btw i think the one that fate cleared off the line in the first half from the lofted ball was much worse keeping than the own goal.

Given was poor today, did he make a save?

not that i recal, made a few big mistakes as well. not saying he should be dropped lyke.

btw i think the one that fate cleared off the line in the first half from the lofted ball was much worse keeping than the own goal.

Wow, fate cleared a ball off the line?  The luck really is with us.

Given was poor today, after watching MOTD you can see just how poor he was today.

Made more mistakes than Harper has all season. Anichebe incident, making a pigs ear of their second goal and fixed to the line for their first making zero attempt to intercept the ball coming in for Johnson to score from 1yrd.

If I was Steve Harper I'd be well pissed off if I wasn't between the sticks at Reading.

That's exactly what I think too...

Given was in no man's land for the first goal, instead of being in front of Johnson, the latter was by himself there to tap the ball into the goal...Shay didn't even try to intercept the ball...

He was very slow coming out for one back pass I think was by Enrique which almost got caught by the Everton player charging towards Given...

Given made a very weak attempt at clearing the ball from Anichebe and almost scored an own goal if it wasn't for Cacapa to get the ball cleared off the line...

Everton 2nd goal SHOULD NEVER EVER BEEN SCORED...That was a joke a BIG JOKE from Given...

Where the hell is my post about Steve Harper

I think it's knee jerk-tastic calling for him to be dropped after 1 dodgy game.  If we dropped keepers everytime they made a mistake, we'd never have a proper number 1, we'd have 2 keepers low on confidence.

The way some people talk you'd think we had Paul Robinson in nets.

Harper was dropped for doing nothing wrong but being great I think that is even more damaging for both keepers if Harper is not reinstated...

Given was reinstated because of what he has done before in the previous 400 games! He had a bad game today, his worst for a long time. If we drop him now we have uncertainty and confusion in the one area of the pitch we haven't had for the past 10 years. Like I have said before, Allardyce has to pick his number one and stick with him, you can't drop a goalkeeper for having one bad game especially when that is Given who has proven his quality.

Chopping and changing goalkeepers will do us no good whatsoever, they need to get into a rhythm.

Allardyce hasn't managed the situation well, he should have reinstated Given when he was fit or stuck with Harper as he was in form.

Given was poor today, after watching MOTD you can see just how poor he was today.

Made more mistakes than Harper has all season. Anichebe incident, making a pigs ear of their second goal and fixed to the line for their first making zero attempt to intercept the ball coming in for Johnson to score from 1yrd.

If I was Steve Harper I'd be well pissed off if I wasn't between the sticks at Reading.

Agree entirely with these comments - said last week that Harper should never have been dropped.

The palming of Arteta's cross, albeit deflected, into his own net was completely unnecessary by Given ; the camera I was watching the game from was in line with the flight of the ball, and even if he had left it, it would have drifted behind, just wide of the post - even a solid punch over would have been a better option.

Apart from today's performance, I have had chance to re-run Elano's goal at City last week, and I believe that he should at least have got a hand to it - he was not the slightest bit unsighted when Elano hit the ball, and he could see exactly what was happening, whereas the goal that Van Persie scored yesterday against the Mackems(very similar position) was struck even harder than Elano's and with Gordon having less sight of it....

There is no doubt that Allardyce has created a difficult situation for himself by the decision to re-instate Given - Harper now has little confidence that he will keep the spot, even if he plays well, and had Owen, much abused by some members of this site, not scored a third goal, we would have dropped 2 points.

I think it's knee jerk-tastic calling for him to be dropped after 1 dodgy game.  If we dropped keepers everytime they made a mistake, we'd never have a proper number 1, we'd have 2 keepers low on confidence.

Harper was dropped for doing nothing wrong but being great I think that is even more damaging for both keepers if Harper is not reinstated...

Harper wasn't dropped.  He was filling in and went back to being back up when our number 1 was fit.

Harper wasn't dropped.  He was filling in and went back to being back up when our number 1 was fit.

I don't think he was FILLING IN (Harper that is)...I said it before million times, there is nothing between the two of them and if one of them is having a better day then play that one...Harper should be in for our next game...

Given was reinstated because of what he has done before in the previous 400 games! He had a bad game today, his worst for a long time. If we drop him now we have uncertainty and confusion in the one area of the pitch we haven't had for the past 10 years. Like I have said before, Allardyce has to pick his number one and stick with him, you can't drop a goalkeeper for having one bad game especially when that is Given who has proven his quality.

Chopping and changing goalkeepers will do us no good whatsoever, they need to get into a rhythm.

Allardyce hasn't managed the situation well, he should have reinstated Given when he was fit or stuck with Harper as he was in form.

He should have stuck with Harper not only because he was in form but also because he is as good as Given can ever be....

SA does have a problem. He should have put Given back in once he was fit; he didn't & Given is clearly short of confidence. Whereas Harper was once relatively happy to play 2nd fiddle he must now be banging on SA's door asking why he isn't in.

On form, Given should now be dropped & if he remains on the bench he will want to go (Arsenal badly need a keeper & there has been previous rumours).

Competition for places is good but where keepers are concerned you should pick your number one at the first opportunity. SA didn't & he has a problem.

I think he will stick with Given, we all know he will come through this.

After watching the MOTD highlights that last goal was one of those freak deflections, not to much Shay could have done about it really.

He is still our best keeper and some of the drivel on here about him is shocking..

After watching the MOTD highlights that last goal was one of those freak deflections, not to much Shay could have done about it really.

He is still our best keeper and some of the drivel on here about him is shocking..

How on earth wasn't his fault ? That is the kind of drivel you read here...Given clearly was in no man's land when the ball came in and kept back paddling so slowly like an armature...

This is not mention the other shaky moments and near misses that could easily have caused more embarrassing moments for him...Also he was partly at fault for the first goal for not keeping his position and leaving Johnson to be on his own to tap the ball in...

How on earth wasn't his fault ? That is the kind of drivel you read here...Given clearly was in no man's land when the ball came in and kept back paddling so slowly like an armature...

It took a massive deflection of Smith, Given was in the right position for where the play was building, it looped up and over off the deflection, was just one of those things that can happen in football, I am dam sure Harper would not have got to it too.

And I bet Sam is blaming Zoggy and not Shay for their first, he should have tracked Banes!!

Back 360 to my earlier post (might have been in another Harper/Given thread tbh). Regardless of form Given deserves his place due to past performances.

Therefore Shay is the new Shearer. Not good for the team imo, Harper started the season as number 1, regardless of how this came about he had the shirt to lose and did nothing to warrant being benched.

If Shay had got injured part way through the season and Harper had played 5 or 6 games like he did and Shay came straight back in I wouldn't care, but I do feel that in this instance Harper has been treated very badly

(can I put a disclaimer in here that I'm not bashing Given here at all, he's obviously a top drawer keeper and will play himself back into form - however he should not have been brought back in when he was due to Harpers (and the defence in general) form)

It took a massive deflection of Smith, Given was in the right position for where the play was building, it looped up and over off the deflection, was just one of those things that can happen in football, I am dam sure Harper would not have got to it too.

It wasn't even going in and was credited as an own goal. Not his fault? :lol: :jesuswept:

My opinion on the matter:

It's not really about how big a name he is, it's about the performances he puts in, and so far this season they have been below par. A lot of my mates diss Harper and say he's shite but i think he's quality, didnt deserve to just be ditched like he was.

2nd goal was given's fault, coupled with his howler in the first few minutes proves he is really shit. we need new keeper as harper should never be allowed in our goal after alonso scored from his own half.

2nd goal was given's fault, coupled with his howler in the first few minutes proves he is really s***. we need new keeper as harper should never be allowed in our goal after alonso scored from his own half.

Given has been our number one keeper and Harper our number two for 10 years. This should never change or even be questioned, regardless of form. We should sign them both up for another 10 years.

• 4 weeks later...