Milner gets young player of the year award

Skirge

All these "Get Rid" people.  Can you suggest someone we could realistically expect to replace him with.  And the price we'd have to pay to get them.

Nobody has to come up with a replacement or a guess at a fee for a replacement to hold the opinion he isn't good enough for where we want to be.

But presumably we'll need someone better?  I'm just interested that no one has come up with one reasonable answer to who we could replace him with.  Assuming we "get rid" who will we play there? 

And FWIW I dont see SWP coming here

I reckon he might, depending on how much he features for Chelsea this season/whether he's part of the inevitable clear-out over there. I'd have him here aswell, he's improved considerably, cos he's playing.

But i'd like to see how Milner turns out. He's been below average this season, i won't argue with that (he hasn't been hopeless though), but i reckon he's just megafucked. Plus, has he played a game 'officially' down the right-wing? West Ham maybe?

I like him, i thought he was great last season, and the slack he gets off some people here is mad, but he does need to improve. If he doesn't pick up this season then i'd be all for a SWP coming through the door, but i reckon he probably will anyway.

Have patience. He's 21.

All these "Get Rid" people.  Can you suggest someone we could realistically expect to replace him with.  And the price we'd have to pay to get them.

Nobody has to come up with a replacement or a guess at a fee for a replacement to hold the opinion he isn't good enough for where we want to be.

But presumably we'll need someone better?  I'm just interested that no one has come up with one reasonable answer to who we could replace him with.  Assuming we "get rid" who will we play there? 

Why wouldn't SWP come here? Chelsea have been looking to move him on for a while when Mourinho was in charge, whether that's still the case I don't know.

You then look at the likes of Bentley, Arteta and Lennon, 3 players that play on the right who are far better than Milner and all play for clubs we want to rival for Europe, that's just in the Premiership and I doubt any of their clubs would sell to us, we'll likely have to go to Europe to find one but he's hardly an irreplaceable player is he?

How highly do you rate him?

Of course. However, there are a multitude of people who didnt want Craig Bellamy when he came here or had heard of Peter Beardsley when he arrived. However, both did alright. Both lightning fast in their prime and it made a difference to the sides they played in.

There are also loads of people who arrive who are unheralded or unheard of who are far better than the teams they ended up at had. Cacapa? Keane for Cobh Ramblers?

For Big Sam? - Faye? Ben Haim?

The people looking after clubs have a scouting network that allows them to unearth better and bring them in. If they can't they they spend and nick other teams better players. Either way we have to do it. Assuming we want to move on.

If there's anyone, 'slightly' realistic (barely, in reality) that i'd bump Milner out the side for at this moment, it'd be Arteta...

Had forgot about him. :blush: Cheers, Baggio. :thup:

EDIT: Though, tbh, i've had him down as my 'dream' creative centre-mid that we bring in...

Geremi is better on the right and I'm confident Duff will be too when he's fit.

Thanks.  While I disagree about Geremi, Duff might be an answer I hadn't thought of.  Fair enough, a suggestion, thats all I wanted, not insults from Pie, who results to name calling when he has nothing of any substance to contribute.

You had suggestions and I didn't call you any names at all! Stop being huffy you tart (there, a mild insult to make up for it). Geremi has a far better pedigree on the right than Milner will ever have. Duff similarly.

Why wouldn't SWP come here? Chelsea have been looking to move him on for a while when Mourinho was in charge, whether that's still the case I don't know.

You then look at the likes of Bentley, Arteta and Lennon, 3 players that play on the right who are far better than Milner and all play for clubs we want to rival for Europe, that's just in the Premiership and I doubt any of their clubs would sell to us, we'll likely have to go to Europe to find one but he's hardly an irreplaceable player is he?

He's a decent prospect, no more no less. 

Like I said at the bottom of the previous page, all I wanted was suggestions of who people would replace him with, not for it to resort to the bitching which is becoming more and more common on here, when someone disagrees with something someone else has said.  Pie offered a list of people he wouldn't want to try and answer the question, resorting to name calling when he couldn't actually come up with one suggestion.

Now he's rattling on about Bellamy, Beardsley, Cacaoa, Keane, Ben Haim and Faye as if they are relevant to replacing Milner

Your mam? Probably quicker but not sure about her ball skills. Ask your dad.

You're right, no insults from you

Dear me boy. You're too touchy, thats more a matter of fact than an insult. Maybe you're just more pissed off that people can persuade you that golden boy isnt good enough. Wonder which one.  :lol:

He's a decent prospect, no more no less. 

Like I said at the bottom of the previous page, all I wanted was suggestions of who people would replace him with, not for it to resort to the bitching which is becoming more and more common on here, when someone disagrees with something someone else has said.  Pie offered a list of people he wouldn't want to try and answer the question, resorting to name calling when he couldn't actually come up with one suggestion.

Now he's rattling on about Bellamy, Beardsley, Cacaoa, Keane, Ben Haim and Faye as if they are relevant to replacing Milner

You really are pissed off aren't you? It was a fairly easy analogy. You asked me to be a scout. I pointed out that there are lots of people who we probably havent heard of who could improve that position. You seem to want to ignore that point so I used those examples to help you picture the point. You had ignored that earlier. Seemed fair.

Shame you're resorting to the petulant schoolboy routine. It could have been a decent conversation before you took your ball in. Nb: You were given suggestions much earlier than you acknowledged.  Huffy bugger :lol:

How recently has Geremi proven he is better than Milner on the right? Its like saying Duff is proven better on the left than N'Zogbia because Duff at his peak was a far better player than Zog currently is.

If people can't see with their own eyes that he isn't good enough then fair enough. He did well under souness compared to the others in a poor team. Is that what we want? Likewise, he did well at villa in a side that did very poorly.

The kid does some decent stuff once in a while and is an asset as sub. If he in the first team in Jan we are looking for mediocrity. If he there next August we are looking for trouble. Certainly I would like to see us have greater ambition than a player who is unlikely to win an England cap despite the national side having the poorest group of right wingers we have had in a long time. Certainly nobody outstanding is holding him back from that first cap never mind squad call up.

If course that isn't the only barometer. Perov's display might have been though. He did f*** all in the matdch except score and set up the crucial goal with pace, power and a fast accurate cross. all the things James is incapable of. We need someone who can combine both. Of course we aren't going to get someone like that. However, given a lazy talented b****** who pulls it out of the bag (Petrov, Ginola, Robert etc) or a hard working but limited kid who can't run then there is no contest. Talent wins matches more often than not. Not meandering graft without end product. So far this season James has produced nothing of note. The reason? He isn't capable of it on a regular (and at the minute even occasional) basis. Not many are. Can we afford that?

It's very little to do with systems. He has more space with this system than enough. Sadly, he has no idea how to use it. On Saturday he was three on three with acres to go into on 3 occasions. Not unfamilar. He doesn't have th craft, pace or guile to make use of it. If the system is to work we need someone to do that. Good players do it in any system.....

I never really noticed Milner's lack of pace before, but City were obviously not worried he would get behind them and let him feint and step-over to his heart's content on Saturday. By the time he had finished setting himself, there were 11 men behind the ball. He's never going to be a top player, but I suppose Allardyce could still make use of him if we commit wholeheartedly to route one football. He would be canny supply to a big centre forward with willing runners ready to feed off the knockdowns.

How recently has Geremi proven he is better than Milner on the right? Its like saying Duff is proven better on the left than N'Zogbia because Duff at his peak was a far better player than Zog currently is.

Recently? Depends how you judge it. I'm basing it on the fact that Geremi still hasn't lost his pace and can cross a ball. He rarely relied on his pace and more on his technical/crossing ability and footbal brain I assume he will adapt. He is a far better technical player than Milner. He did alright on the right for Chelsea when asked at both right back and on the right side of midfield. His pedigree at Madrid, Boro and Chelsea is good in that position. In view of Milner's current (very poor) form it would be something I would welcome. Long term (hopefully not that long) we need better than both.

Just to reiterate a point Jon, I would keep Milner as a squad player. However, if he wanted away I wouldn't be crying about it or worrying when he came back with another team.

Recently? Depends how you judge it. I'm basing it on the fact that Geremi still hasn't lost his pace and can cross a ball. He rarely relied on his pace and more on his technical/crossing ability and footbal brain I assume he will adapt. He is a far better technical player than Milner. He did alright on the right for Chelsea when asked at both right back and on the right side of midfield. His pedigree at Madrid, Boro and Chelsea is good in that position. In view of Milner's current (very poor) form it would be something I would welcome. Long term (hopefully not that long) we need better than both.

Just to reiterate a point Jon, I would keep Milner as a squad player. However, if he wanted away I wouldn't be crying about it or worrying when he came back with another team.

Geremi, pace...

You seem to put way too much stock in who people have played for, as said before Bramble and O'Brien were a partnership for a top four team in the champions league at times. Does that mean they are both top defenders?

Geremi, pace...

You seem to put way too much stock in who people have played for, as said before Bramble and O'Brien were a partnership for a top four team in the champions league at times. Does that mean they are both top defenders?

Faster than Milner. Far better technically. As I stated he is another who doesn't need pace, his legs havent diminished what he has. Prefer he had it though. However, he doesn't slow the game down anywhere near as much as Milner does. He is quite capable of an instant ball. As for who he played for? He was very good for them. I don't recall saying he was good cos he played for them. Just that he played well for them.

I noted that there is a big difference between a 'top 4 player' and 'a player who played in a top 4 side'. Can't see Milner being either of those things.

Couldn't agree more, the bold section is the main point and it's something i raised in another thread.

Geremi and Duff are better options on the right.

What does it matter at Duff's age? He's far from past it.

There's a good chance Duff will return better on the left than Zog, but these two players are the best for both flanks and I think Duff will adapt to the right better than Zog, hence I'd Zog on the left and use Duff on the right.

Also, I'm surprised everybody can't see that Geremi is a much better player than Milner.

Geremi, after impressing pre-season, has looked shit I'm afraid.  Really dissapointing.  While Milner hasn't always had a great game, there have been times when he's been the only spark we've had going forward and it's baffling to me that anyone wouldn't want to hold on to him.  He's a good prospect in my opinion and certainly deserved the award for last season.

Geremi, after impressing pre-season, has looked shit I'm afraid.  Really dissapointing. 

That's surprising to read.

I actually thought he'd turn out to be one of the more astute signings made by anyone over the summer.

Geremi, after impressing pre-season, has looked s*** I'm afraid.  Really dissapointing. 

I actually thought he'd turn out to be one of the more astute signings made by anyone over the summer.

when he signed everyone debated wether he'd play right back or right midfiled, not many assumed he'd play each game in the middle.

Geremi, after impressing pre-season, has looked s*** I'm afraid.  Really dissapointing. 

when he signed everyone debated wether he'd play right back or right midfiled, not many assumed he'd play each game in the middle.

It's not his best position, imo. I'd be happy with him on RM.

Geremi, after impressing pre-season, has looked shit I'm afraid.  Really dissapointing.  While Milner hasn't always had a great game, there have been times when he's been the only spark we've had going forward and it's baffling to me that anyone wouldn't want to hold on to him.  He's a good prospect in my opinion and certainly deserved the award for last season.

I'm not sure anybody is saying ship him out now, but we need to aim for better.