Sven want Owen for £15 Million

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest jamesmartinsmith

£15mill in for Owen, £20mill out for Huntelaar. Great business.

you'd spend 20m on Huntelaar?! He's good but not that good.

Huntelaar is worth at least £17 million.

Really? Based on what? FM?

I don't play FM. Unlike people like you, I watch football from various leagues in Europe, even some South American games. Through watching these games I can learn how good players are instead of relying on games like you do.

I feel he is worth at least £17 million due to the fact he's 24 years old with 46 goals in 55 games over the last three seasons, 18 in 22 at U21 level, 2 in 8 in the senior team. He's got an excellent shot and aerial ability and one of his biggest strengths is the fact he can be used as an all out striker or a target man. Bent cost £16.5 million, £17 million for Huntelaar is not a lot at all.

Arguably Europe's most promising striker.

Didn't owen slag off sven as soon as he could?  And i'd be surprised if he wanted to go.  If he's going to leave, i expect he'd want a significant jump

Exactly, unless he really thinks the fans are against him and theres no way back he might go to city, and i guess if their 5th+ in Jan its possible.

We seriously shouldn't sell him... unless a) its certain he just isnt going to be fit enough or b) we have a equal/better replacement lined up who's younger. a) is possible but b) - there arent many strikers out there equal or better than Owen are there? and would they come here with a 50/50 shot at Europe in Jan?

If you think we've even got a hope of signing Huntelaar when Chelsea have already made it clear he is one of their targets, its time for a reality check - if we lose Owen - highly likely in my opinion - we are going to have a hell of a job getting anyone who will score 20 goals per season ; City are already doing well without him and even if he misses half their games, he will do enough to get them into the Top 5 - probably at our expense...

Guest jamesmartinsmith

If you think we've even got a hope of signing Huntelaar when Chelsea have already made it clear he is one of their targets, its time for a reality check - if we lose Owen - highly likely in my opinion - we are going to have a hell of a job getting anyone who will score 20 goals per season ; City are already doing well without him and even if he misses half their games, he will do enough to get them into the Top 5 - probably at our expense...

No chance of us getting Huntelaar unless we pay him incredibly high wages, like Owen high ...

He won't be at Ajax for long, that's for sure.

If we sold Owen we'd be relying on a combination of Martins/Viduka/Ameobi and Smith.  If Martins was injured the lack of mobility in our front line doesn't bear thinking about.  The only acceptable replacement that could fit in quickly would be Anelka imo.......but really if we don't have to sell him, and we don't need the money, we're not going to get much better goal scorers. Unless his fitness is permanently in doubt, I think I'd rather sell Martins and get Anelka in.

What the f*** have the Sun got with wanting to create a rift with us and Owen?  Its been backpage stuff for about 4 days now.  Really starting to piss me off now.

I've told you before that Murdoch's crowd have it in for NUFC and have done since 96 when we scared the pants off them by nearly beating Manure to the title - they thought the had seen us off for good once Shepherd was in charge, but its all starting up again because we now have big money behind us and someone who is not a cretin as manager.

Whilst I think there is substance in Owen being unsettled, I believe its our own fans who have made the situation worse ; the Sun are just capitalising on our bent for committing collective suicide.

All this will only end by either our winning a trophy or Owen leaving, but even then, it will start up again if we show the remotest hint of long-term success.

If we lost Owen to City we could kiss making a "Big 5" goodbye, as well as our chances of winning anything for a season or 2. Both on the count NUFC have lost him and City have gained him and would push us out.

Always frustrating having to sell such a good player, however the money would be the key issue, as long as we use it wisely and get the right player in.

Selling Owen for £15 million, at nearly 28, on his huge wages, his injury record and with him coming to the end of his contract is simply too good to turn down.

Always frustrating having to sell such a good player, however the money would be the key issue, as long as we use it wisely and get the right player in.

Selling Owen for £15 million, at nearly 28, on his huge wages, his injury record and with him coming to the end of his contract is simply too good to turn down.

good point,but on the other hand any player nearing his quality will want a large wage,if we are doing well he'll want to stay.

my decision wouldn't be based now but a lot nearer the time.

£15mill??? Catch 22, you either keep a player who's so injury prone, or sell him to one of your main rivals, hate to say it but i think i'd sell, i think Anelka is more than suitable and realistic option. I always though that Anelka is every bit as good as owen, Owen has his baggage with wages, injuries and commiment, but anelka has his massive commitment issues, although he seemed to have mellowed a bit. Seems like a no brainer to me.

£15mill??? Catch 22, you either keep a player who's so injury prone, or sell him to one of your main rivals, hate to say it but i think i'd sell, i think Anelka is more than suitable and realistic option. I always though that Anelka is every bit as good as owen, Owen has his baggage with wages, injuries and commiment, but anelka has his massive commitment issues, although he seemed to have mellowed a bit. Seems like a no brainer to me.

but if he stays fit till january ?

No chance of us getting Huntelaar unless we pay him incredibly high wages, like Owen high ...

He won't be at Ajax for long, that's for sure.

Especially as he now has Bert Luque competing for his place in the starting line up  :laugh:

Like i said, catch 22, i also rate Anelka as high, if not higher than Owen, he has at least had the potential and the main ingredient to be one of the best strikers in the world, i dont think we'd be losing out on goalscoring prowess if we signed Anelka, and to be honest his all round play is now much better than Owens, minus the life threatening injuries and fit him in a team manged by a manger he seems to respect and you have a ready made replacement with a tidy £5-6m(?) profit. Far more adaptable than owen in terms of formation and strike partners as well. Theres a whole can of worms to be opened on commitment issues by both players but i wont go so far.

Like i said, catch 22, i also rate Anelka as high, if not higher than Owen, he has at least had the potential and the main ingredient to be one of the best strikers in the world, i dont think we'd be losing out on goalscoring prowess if we signed Anelka, and to be honest his all round play is now much better than Owens, minus the life threatening injuries and fit him in a team manged by a manger he seems to respect and you have a ready made replacement with a tidy £5-6m(?) profit. Far more adaptable than owen in terms of formation and strike partners as well. Theres a whole can of worms to be opened on commitment issues by both players but i wont go so far.

going off memory i don't think anelka has been anywhere near as proloific a goalscorer as owen since anelka left arsenal.even the better all round player bit is a bit misleading,he's abetter prospect playing wide than owen but through the middle i reckon owen is a better goalscorer and as good a player(for that position).

as i've earlier said,for me, the decision should come down to owens fitness and how allardyce best sees the direction of the team(i'm not too keen on 4-3-3 at the moment even if anelka was brought in).if owen stays fit and plays well and we look like progressing it would be madness to sell,it's a decision that shouldn't be made now.

Citeh and us are in many ways the same kind of club. 'Big clubs'who have underachieved and not won anything worthwhile for decades. Would Owen be that keen to go there anyway? He may have a better relationship with Sven than Sam but I don't think he'd be gagging to go there if he left. And I don't think any club would even think of spending 15m on him unless he stays fit from now to Christmas however much money they've got. This strikes me as an over-inflated story with journalists jumping to daft conclusions based on the stories from the last few days about tensions between Owen, Allardyce and Mclaren.

Citeh and us are in many ways the same kind of club. 'Big clubs'who have underachieved and not won anything worthwhile for decades. Would Owen be that keen to go there anyway? He may have a better relationship with Sven than Sam but I don't think he'd be gagging to go there if he left. And I don't think any club would even think of spending 15m on him unless he stays fit from now to Christmas however much money they've got. This strikes me as an over-inflated story with journalists jumping to daft conclusions based on the stories from the last few days about tensions between Owen, Allardyce and Mclaren.

Or Owen's PR machine is in full swing. I wouldn't discount either possibility in all honesty.

It's amazing how much debate can be spawned by an article such as this.  Over and over again, taloid rumours turn out to be false, but yet no one seems to learn.

Of course Owen could end all this speculation with one interview couldn't he? Rather than making ambiguous comments about his commitment. You could ask: "Why should he?" But he's not daft, so why doesn't he?