Mike Ashley

ATB

Anyone remember when we appointed Jim Smith, the EIGHTH CHOICE, only 3 years before Keegan walked through the door.

Geordie manager Howard Kendall didn't have the bottle to take on his home town club, or maybe because they were so s*** he didn't want it. Succeeding him with Ardiles, another absolute nothing of a manager. Bobby Robson - another Geordie manager showed no interest in the job during his whole managerial career with Ipswich and England. Why didn't these managers, and all the top managers, show an interest or have the bottle to save Newcastle when they were staring at bankruptcy and relegation to the 3rd division ?

Keegan stepped forward. With no managerial experience whatsoever, he was prepared to be manager of a club that he played for and his dad supported, in the process of going down to the 3rd division for the first time in their history. THAT took bottle. Walking out of a club challenging for the title, that he built himself, shows a lack of bottle ? Don't make me laugh.

We know why Keegan left, he has said so, earlier when it was fresh in his memory. It was because the Halls were selling the club out to the stock exchange, and people in grey suits were telling him to sell Les Ferdinand to lift the share price for the flotation.

Keegan left because the harsh reality of being a football manager hit home, he was happy when money was being thrown at him by the board yet when it came down to balancing books like every other manager in the league had to at the time he didn't want any of it, he's been the same everywhere else too.

like i've posted earlier re cole selling etc ?

He sold Cole because he wanted Ferdinand and Gillespie, QPR f***** the club around though so we had to wait until the summer, he spent £14 million that summer, £11 million around the January and broke the World record transfer fee the following summer.

£40 million in a little over 12 months was never heard of in English football at the time so don't make out he had it hard because he didn't.

yes and like i've said after dropping to sixth and selling cole,facing the fans on the steps of SJP you'd think that was more pressure than that under which he left ?

It was a different pressure selling Cole, it was a risk that he was happy to take to get a better player in Les Ferdinand but the decision was always his, when the money dried up (something out of his hands) and he'd have to manage the club like every other club manager in the division he didn't want any of it.

could have waited till the summer to sell cole etc...you paint a very balack and white (forgive the pun)picture of the situation,as i've already stated keegan gives several different versions of why he left and dougie hall reckoned he kicked him out,why do you presume your theory hits hte nail ?

As I've already said, I don't know the real reason and neither do you, I've formed my opinion from memories at the time and having read his autobiography.

Keegan had the boot from Man City after telling everyone that he was leaving at the end of the season because he had had enough, coincidentally it was at the time when Man City had to tighten the purse strings because he had nearly bankrupt them.

he has had health problems too.

He did leave Man City in a much better position than when he joined BTW, the same as he did Fulham. The hopeless Stuart Pearce who took over was taking the club backwards, from what Keegan left him. Beats me what people ever saw in Pearce, he was shit with Notts Forest. Jumping around on the touchline like a monkey with ants in his pants doesn't make a good manager, its all he ever seemed to do to me.

Back to Keegan. My own opinion is that he has just not been the same since leaving Newcastle. The job was the right one for him, and he never managed England or anyone else in the same manner, because he tried to adapt to please people rather than stick to managing in the way he was best.

I think it is very sad that some NUFC supporters demean what he did for the club. The 5 years he spent were something not to be missed, and without a shadow of doubt is by far the best 5 years that I have had supporting this club in over 40 years. I wouldn't have missed them for the world. Its an absolute tragedy that he didn't win a cup to top it all, but he will forever remain to me, as the guy who gave us the most magical period I've experienced, and laid all the foundation for what  the club is now.

We lived at the top table, challenging for the title, with the other big guns. And if we never do it again, and I'm not denying that we should be doing it all the time, the fact is that he is the only person since the 1950's who really showed us what it was like, and elevated us to that level.

First of all I've never put down what he done for the club, that doesn't mean he's above criticism for the way he walked out on the club because the transfer fund dried up and he knew he'd have to run the club like every other manager has to in the Premiership.

See my post a minute ago. I subscribe to the theory that NUFC should have managers that demand success and backing.

What do you want. Do you want the club to behave like the Derbys and the Readings of this world, or the Liverpools ? If its the former, don't complain when they beat us.

Anyone remember when we appointed Jim Smith, the EIGHTH CHOICE, only 3 years before Keegan walked through the door.

Geordie manager Howard Kendall didn't have the bottle to take on his home town club, or maybe because they were so s*** he didn't want it. Succeeding him with Ardiles, another absolute nothing of a manager. Bobby Robson - another Geordie manager showed no interest in the job during his whole managerial career with Ipswich and England. Why didn't these managers, and all the top managers, show an interest or have the bottle to save Newcastle when they were staring at bankruptcy and relegation to the 3rd division ?

Keegan stepped forward. With no managerial experience whatsoever, he was prepared to be manager of a club that he played for and his dad supported, in the process of going down to the 3rd division for the first time in their history. THAT took bottle. Walking out of a club challenging for the title, that he built himself, shows a lack of bottle ? Don't make me laugh.

We know why Keegan left, he has said so, earlier when it was fresh in his memory. It was because the Halls were selling the club out to the stock exchange, and people in grey suits were telling him to sell Les Ferdinand to lift the share price for the flotation.

Keegan left because the harsh reality of being a football manager hit home, he was happy when money was being thrown at him by the board yet when it came down to balancing books like every other manager in the league had to at the time he didn't want any of it, he's been the same everywhere else too.

like i've posted earlier re cole selling etc ?

He sold Cole because he wanted Ferdinand and Gillespie, QPR f***** the club around though so we had to wait until the summer, he spent £14 million that summer, £11 million around the January and broke the World record transfer fee the following summer.

£40 million in a little over 12 months was never heard of in English football at the time so don't make out he had it hard because he didn't.

yes and like i've said after dropping to sixth and selling cole,facing the fans on the steps of SJP you'd think that was more pressure than that under which he left ?

It was a different pressure selling Cole, it was a risk that he was happy to take to get a better player in Les Ferdinand but the decision was always his, when the money dried up (something out of his hands) and he'd have to manage the club like every other club manager in the division he didn't want any of it.

And Benitez hasn't been demanding money from Liverpool then, for instance ?

Despite taking over a club already established as trophy winners for decades [ just so macca 888 and anyone else like him, can detect the difference..... ]

What would you prefer Baggio. A manager content to settle for underachievement, or one who strives to drive his board and his club ?

Again I'm not sure what point you're making.

Of course I want a manager that wants to drive the club forward, that has nothing to do with this thread though.

Keegan had the boot from Man City after telling everyone that he was leaving at the end of the season because he had had enough, coincidentally it was at the time when Man City had to tighten the purse strings because he had nearly bankrupt them.

he has had health problems too.

He did leave Man City in a much better position than when he joined BTW, the same as he did Fulham. The hopeless Stuart Pearce who took over was taking the club backwards, from what Keegan left him. Beats me what people ever saw in Pearce, he was shit with Notts Forest. Jumping around on the touchline like a monkey with ants in his pants doesn't make a good manager, its all he ever seemed to do to me.

Back to Keegan. My own opinion is that he has just not been the same since leaving Newcastle. The job was the right one for him, and he never managed England or anyone else in the same manner, because he tried to adapt to please people rather than stick to managing in the way he was best.

I think it is very sad that some NUFC supporters demean what he did for the club. The 5 years he spent were something not to be missed, and without a shadow of doubt is by far the best 5 years that I have had supporting this club in over 40 years. I wouldn't have missed them for the world. Its an absolute tragedy that he didn't win a cup to top it all, but he will forever remain to me, as the guy who gave us the most magical period I've experienced, and laid all the foundation for what  the club is now.

We lived at the top table, challenging for the title, with the other big guns. And if we never do it again, and I'm not denying that we should be doing it all the time, the fact is that he is the only person since the 1950's who really showed us what it was like, and elevated us to that level.

First of all I've never put down what he done for the club, that doesn't mean he's above criticism for the way he walked out on the club because the transfer fund dried up and he knew he'd have to run the club like every other manager has to in the Premiership.

See my post a minute ago. I subscribe to the theory that NUFC should have managers that demand success and backing.

What do you want. Do you want the club to behave like the Derbys and the Readings of this world, or the Liverpools ? If its the former, don't complain when they beat us.

You're making no sense, of course I don't want the club to be ran like Derby or Reading but that has nothing to do with it.

Keegan was backed better than any manager around the time, the board decided to become a PLC which meant cash wouldn't be as free flowing as it was previously even though there was still a fair bit compared to other clubs around at the time.

Again what point are you trying to make?

All this about KK is totally pointless - HE'S GONE ! Get Over It !!!

He did a great job in the 5 years he was at SJP and we all owe him a vote of thanks for pulling us out of the crap ; BUT - he got rid of the Reserves, simply because the League told him he had to play at least 6 Reserve games at SJP, and also downgraded the Juniors ; he simply wasn't interested in young players' development, despite being at a small club himself until joining Liverpool.

To me , this is short-sighted & petty - it wasn't until KD took over that we re-started the Reserve & Junior sides. I have had people say to me that it was 'revolutionary thinking' to scrap Reserves etc., but this is total rubbish - Have Arsenal, under probably the best manager in Britain, EVER scrapped their Reserves?

And compare Wenger's interest in young players to that shown by KK.....

Are you going to tell me that KK was as good as Wenger, because I'll just laugh at you - the facts tell us differently...

Did Man U ever consider scrapping their Reserves/Juniors? Or Liverpool ?

Let's get it right - KK was a great manager FOR US FOR 5 YEARS ; As for the stuff about the PLC, there is SOME truth in it, but only SOME ; has being a PLC ever stopped Man U from being a Top club or buying players ? Of course not..

KK is now just as much history to NUFC as Supermac, Jackie Milburn, Joe Harvey et al are - its time to move on guys. This thread is titled Mike Ashley - like it or lump it, he is the present and (hopefully!) the future of this club along with those he appoints.

All this about KK is totally pointless - HE'S GONE ! Get Over It !!!

He did a great job in the 5 years he was at SJP and we all owe him a vote of thanks for pulling us out of the crap ; BUT - he got rid of the Reserves, simply because the League told him he had to play at least 6 Reserve games at SJP, and also downgraded the Juniors ; he simply wasn't interested in young players' development, despite being at a small club himself until joining Liverpool.

To me , this is short-sighted & petty - it wasn't until KD took over that we re-started the Reserve & Junior sides. I have had people say to me that it was 'revolutionary thinking' to scrap Reserves etc., but this is total rubbish - Have Arsenal, under probably the best manager in Britain, EVER scrapped their Reserves?

And compare Wenger's interest in young players to that shown by KK.....

Are you going to tell me that KK was as good as Wenger, because I'll just laugh at you - the facts tell us differently...

Did Man U ever consider scrapping their Reserves/Juniors? Or Liverpool ?

Let's get it right - KK was a great manager FOR US FOR 5 YEARS ; As for the stuff about the PLC, there is SOME truth in it, but only SOME ; has being a PLC ever stopped Man U from being a Top club or buying players ? Of course not..

KK is now just as much history to NUFC as Supermac, Jackie Milburn, Joe Harvey et al are - its time to move on guys. This thread is titled Mike Ashley - like it or lump it, he is the present and (hopefully!) the future of this club along with those he appoints.

Well said.

I'm not sure how I got dragged into a debate about Keegan.

As for the youngsters, I seem to remember reading Carrick leaving the youth set up because Keegan scraped the reserves so he didn't think he'd ever break through.

A point on the reserves...

Is there really any point them these days? If you look at the typical line up of a reserve team how many are realistically going to break through into the first teams of Premier League Clubs? One? Two if you are lucky?

They also aren't really used to build up fitness anymore - behind closed doors gmes are set up now.

I'm not saying we should scrap the reserves and academy - but maybe the whole country's approach to youth football needs to be looked at (personally I'd love to see a US style university sports culture whereby the university teams are used to develop young talent - maybe even linked to professional clubs. You'd probably alos get bigger attendnaces on a Weds afternoon for a Newcastle United vs Sunderland uni team game than the current reserves on a Thursday night)

A point on the reserves...

Is there really any point them these days? If you look at the typical line up of a reserve team how many are realistically going to break through into the first teams of Premier League Clubs? One? Two if you are lucky?

They also aren't really used to build up fitness anymore - behind closed doors gmes are set up now.

I'm not saying we should scrap the reserves and academy - but maybe the whole country's approach to youth football needs to be looked at (personally I'd love to see a US style university sports culture whereby the university teams are used to develop young talent - maybe even linked to professional clubs. You'd probably alos get bigger attendnaces on a Weds afternoon for a Newcastle United vs Sunderland uni team game than the current reserves on a Thursday night)

You need progression - Youth to Reserves THEN to behind/doors friendlies etc..

The system was responsible for Man U's 10 years of success by having a crop all at the same time - this doesn't happen very often, but you SHOULD be able to bring one or two through every couple of years IF - and its a big IF - your Academy set-up is well organized ; we also need an Overseas Academy....

but that is in the future

Our chairmen is potentially receiving dividends as a result of Sunderland shirt sales? Nice.

many mackems pointed out that if their advertising of lonsdale increased its revenue then they technically aided ashley in buying nufc.