Mike Ashley

ATB

Oh Big Mike is Geordie, he loves to watch the toon

He' likes t'gan to the Strawberry to drink some Newcy Broon.

I'll get my coat.

So you should, an aal, with your blatantly Southern beer terminology.

Oh Big Mike is Geordie, he loves to watch the toon

He' likes t'gan to the Strawberry to drink some Newcy Broon.

I'll get my coat.

So you should, an aal, with your blatantly Southern beer terminology.

:D

I'm not southern, had to make the rhyme fit some how.

Well, alright then.

PR isn't a dirty word so I don't understand people getting too bothered when it's mentioned. 

PR is a bad word lately though.  Blame it on the cynicism of our times or a general mistrust of public figures, but those two letters conjure up images of spin doctors, damage control, deceitful manipulation and ignoble ends in the minds of many. 

edit: not that I think M&M are up to it -- I believe that while there is positive PR being generated by their actions it's not the primary goal of their actions to generate it. 

So why would Mort say his main role was PR?

PR isn't a dirty word so I don't understand people getting too bothered when it's mentioned. 

PR is a bad word lately though.  Blame it on the cynicism of our times or a general mistrust of public figures, but those two letters conjure up images of spin doctors, damage control, deceitful manipulation and ignoble ends in the minds of many. 

edit: not that I think M&M are up to it -- I believe that while there is positive PR being generated by their actions it's not the primary goal of their actions to generate it. 

To give you something to wank over, if this thread is any indication.  :laugh2:

Really I guess I missed where he said that.  The point still stands that it doesn't make their actions any less genuine except to the overly cynical and caustic.

Guest johnson293

Just had this pic emailed at work - was a supposedly funny pic about the police image on the back of a Hampshire bus, and the unfortunate position of the exhaust pipe.

However, the Male PC looks very familiar! And no, this hasn't been photoshopped!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/johnson293/PCAshley.png

Recluse indeed!!!!  :cheesy:

Ashley and Mort have done a brilliant job with the club up to now - SJH was convinced about Ashley, and so far, he has proved to be right ; as some of you know, I know Sir John and am certain that until he had health problems in the mid-late 90s, he was doing a fine job as Chairman...

I was never a fan of the Shepherd Board, and I believe NUFC fans have been really lucky to have Ashley & Mort on board. Yes, they will want a profit in the end, but I do believe they have the best interests of the Club(and fans) at heart, and I believe Mike Ashley just wants to enjoy his money - he certainly seems to be doing that, and I just hope we can win something soon because I reckon he would be a dyed-in-the-wool Black & White after sampling what that would mean to the Club & fans - if we did, just watch the sort of investment Sam would get then...!!!

To date, both owner & Chairman have done everything we could have asked - one has paid off a huge debt and the other has run the club in an exemplary manner.

I'm really pleased with what they have done - a very big 'Thank you' is in order.

To give you something to wank over, if this thread is any indication.  :laugh2:

Really I guess I missed where he said that.  The point still stands that it doesn't make their actions any less genuine except to the overly cynical and caustic.

Aye, you did miss it obviously.

Another mong signing up to the 'He was a recluse! Now he's not! It must be cos he loves us!' theory?

Pointing out that they have been focussed on this as anyone with half a brain would be in their position is merely an attempt to keep things in perspective. Its quite a mission on this forum sometimes.

Ashley and Mort have done a brilliant job with the club up to now - SJH was convinced about Ashley, and so far, he has proved to be right ; as some of you know, I know Sir John and am certain that until he had health problems in the mid-late 90s, he was doing a fine job as Chairman...

I was never a fan of the Shepherd Board, and I believe NUFC fans have been really lucky to have Ashley & Mort on board. Yes, they will want a profit in the end, but I do believe they have the best interests of the Club(and fans) at heart, and I believe Mike Ashley just wants to enjoy his money - he certainly seems to be doing that, and I just hope we can win something soon because I reckon he would be a dyed-in-the-wool Black & White after sampling what that would mean to the Club & fans - if we did, just watch the sort of investment Sam would get then...!!!

To date, both owner & Chairman have done everything we could have asked - one has paid off a huge debt and the other has run the club in an exemplary manner.

I'm really pleased with what they have done - a very big 'Thank you' is in order.

Really ?

Can you answer something for me, and I'm sure quite a few people may also be interested [but may ignore the reply if it doesn't suit them].

Why did Sir John Hall - as major shareholder along with his son - allow, agree or maybe even choose - the appointment of Souness ?

I would also like to say that you would have a lot to do to convince me that the Halls simply wouldn't have sold to anyone who offered the going rate ie your comment that "he was convinced by Ashley" ?

Really ?

Can you answer something for me, and I'm sure quite a few people may also be interested [but may ignore the reply if it doesn't suit them].

Why did Sir John Hall - as major shareholder along with his son - allow, agree or maybe even choose - the appointment of Souness ?

I would also like to say that you would have a lot to do to convince me that the Halls simply wouldn't have sold to anyone who offered the going rate ie your comment that "he was convinced by Ashley" ?

Once SJH stepped away from being stand-in Chairman in 98(after the NOTW debacle), he stopped having any direct day-to-day involvement with the club ; I am not going to go into detail(it is very personal and I believe Sir John & his wife wish to draw a veil over the whole affair)as I wish to respect SJH's privacy, but  I was given to understand that he DID wish to continue as Chairman AFTER the Wembley defeat with Dalglish - unfortunately, events prevented this from happening ; I will not enlarge any further on that matter...

He then stepped away from direct involvement, with one exception - that was to 'encourage' the Board to get moving & appoint Bobby Robson just over a year later. He did NOT use his shareholding to do that.

He had no involvement, so far as I am aware, in the appointment of Souness or Roeder.That was down to Shepherd & the other Board members.

As for the sale of his holding, he had wanted out for a while, but he did NOT sell until he had had a long discussion with Mike Ashley - if he had only been interested in getting the dosh, he would have left all that to the Lawyers etc - he definitely was of the opinion that MA was genuine about wanting the club for reasons other than a fast buck.

You are entitled to your opinion about whether he sold for the 'right' reasons or not - I cannot prove or disprove it either way, but you should currently be happy about the way Ashley & Mort are running the club as compared to the previous regime - are you ???

Really ?

Once SJH stepped away from being stand-in Chairman in 98(after the NOTW debacle), he stopped having any direct day-to-day involvement with the club ; I am not going to go into detail(it is very personal and I believe Sir John & his wife wish to draw a veil over the whole affair)as I wish to respect SJH's privacy, but  I was given to understand that he DID wish to continue as Chairman AFTER the Wembley defeat with Dalglish - unfortunately, events prevented this from happening ; I will not enlarge any further on that matter...

He then stepped away from direct involvement, with one exception - that was to 'encourage' the Board to get moving & appoint Bobby Robson just over a year later. He did NOT use his shareholding to do that.

He had no involvement, so far as I am aware, in the appointment of Souness or Roeder.That was down to Shepherd & the other Board members.

As for the sale of his holding, he had wanted out for a while, but he did NOT sell until he had had a long discussion with Mike Ashley - if he had only been interested in getting the dosh, he would have left all that to the Lawyers etc - he definitely was of the opinion that MA was genuine about wanting the club for reasons other than a fast buck.

You are entitled to your opinion about whether he sold for the 'right' reasons or not - I cannot prove or disprove it either way, but you should currently be happy about the way Ashley & Mort are running the club as compared to the previous regime - are you ???

I will be happy if Ashley backs the managers and shows the ambition that Sir John [and his son and Shepherd] showed, which I've stated many many times. This appears to fall on deaf ears, yours too, if the above post is anything to go by.

I accept he stepped away from day to day involvement, this is fairly obvious, but I simply cannot believe that someone holding a mega million value in a business, left the single biggest and most important decision to someone else with a smaller shareholding. I'm sorry, but it simply doesn't wash. The part of your post I have highlighted I can accept, if true, which proves what myself and a few others ie Chez Given have been trying to tell quite a few others for a while now. But I still don't expect certain people to take such statements on board anyway.

As you can see, I am praising Sir John for what I think he did excellently, so there is certainly no axe to grind or no agenda here, simply putting across the facts as I see them and applying common sense. And I also don't believe for a moment that he would not have sold to the hedge fund, or anyone else if they had paid the price required.

I admire you for defending Sir John, but if I had such a big stake in a company like that, I wouldn't leave such decisions to other people.

As for the one reply so far other than mine, as I said, macca888 has spouted rubbish for years.

I really want to say Ashley a big thank you the feel good factor came back at the club and it is really important to have that after Shepered. Still I belive we need world class players at this club but over the past 5 month things are moving on the right direction.

Really ?

I heard from someone close to Paul Kemsley that MA had said that he got agreement to buy the first tranche of shares (the Hall family's) only after 'the f***ing Spanish Inquisition'.  I would translate that as a long discussion!

Really ?

I will be happy if Ashley backs the managers and shows the ambition that Sir John [and his son and Shepherd] showed, which I've stated many many times. This appears to fall on deaf ears, yours too, if the above post is anything to go by.

I accept he stepped away from day to day involvement, this is fairly obvious, but I simply cannot believe that someone holding a mega million value in a business, left the single biggest and most important decision to someone else with a smaller shareholding. I'm sorry, but it simply doesn't wash. The part of your post I have highlighted I can accept, if true, which proves what myself and a few others ie Chez Given have been trying to tell quite a few others for a while now. But I still don't expect certain people to take such statements on board anyway.

As you can see, I am praising Sir John for what I think he did excellently, so there is certainly no axe to grind or no agenda here, simply putting across the facts as I see them and applying common sense. And I also don't believe for a moment that he would not have sold to the hedge fund, or anyone else if they had paid the price required.

I admire you for defending Sir John, but if I had such a big stake in a company like that, I wouldn't leave such decisions to other people.

As for the one reply so far other than mine, as I said, macca888 has spouted rubbish for years.

Is it possible that he left the decisions to protect his 'intersts' to Doug Hall? It might be hard to have any input (of value) on managerial appointments if you don't keep up with current affairs in football.

This isn't an opinion of mine, just trying to understand Merlins comments on SJH's lack of involvement.

Really ?

Is it possible that he left the decisions to protect his 'intersts' to Doug Hall? It might be hard to have any input (of value) on managerial appointments if you don't keep up with current affairs in football.

This isn't an opinion of mine, just trying to understand Merlins comments on SJH's lack of involvement.

of course. I'm only pointing out that such decisions are collective ones, not individual ones. Either Sir John nor Douglas would have been hugely influential in such things.

Really ?

Yes, you are quite right - Sir John handed over the reins at Cameron Hall back in 1993, and NUFC after he stepped down in 98 after we lost at Wembley.His view was that the next generation had to do the job if possible, and by 98, he was 65 so most of us in the Magpie Group understood that he wanted some free time after such a busy life. Lady Mae also wanted him to take things easier too.

No-one can go on forever, and eventually things have to change - at least he tried to ensure that he was leaving the club in good hands when he eventually sold.

[move]PR[/move]

Maybe, at least he is not a two faced fat Cnut that takes the piss out of the local people, signs his own players and lies through a face full of pies (yet anyway).

A complete breath of fresh air compared to the "I am geordie, just like the rest of you" shepperd.

[move]PR[/move]

Maybe, at least he is not a two faced fat Cnut that takes the piss out of the local people, signs his own players and lies through a face full of pies (yet anyway).

A complete breath of fresh air compared to the "I am geordie, just like the rest of you" shepperd.

mackems.gif

playing in europe more than everyone but 4, filling a 50000 stadium, qualifying for the Champs League, playing in 2 Cup Finals is taking the piss isn't it ?

mackems.gif

I'm waiting for the current regime to at least equal this, I hope. The only PR that counts.