Mike Ashley

ATB

[move]PR[/move]

No man, i disagree, i genuinely think nufc is a toy with him, i know businessmen lie all the time like politicians but i cant help but think that his interview the other day had some genuine felings in there, showed to me that he just wants to watch football and enjoy life whilst making a success of the club as well as himself.

He also won himself £100,000 at the match  ;D ,after winning a bet with the former spurs vice chairmen Paul Kelmsley who set next to him last night, according to The Times.

Top Fella  bluelaugh.gif

He also won himself £100,000 at the match  ;D ,after winning a bet with the former spurs vice chairmen Paul Kelmsley who set next to him last night, according to The Times.

Top Fella  bluelaugh.gif

He didn't win himself anything, won a bet with Kemsley with the money going to charity.

Top Fella  bluelaugh.gif

Top Fella  bluelaugh.gif

He didn't win himself anything, won a bet with Kemsley with the money going to charity.

And the Spurs bloke won a bet back with him for having the balls to sit in the directors box with a Spurs shirt on, all the money went to a cancer charity set up in the name of Ashley's friend and Kemsley's brother in law, can't remember the name of it but it's something Gold.

Guest eyeball

A lad who comes into our work from one of our suppliers knows him through a couple of mates. That sounds like "I know a bloke who knows a bloke who..."

Anyway, he says he took them all out for a few drinks a while ago and this fella was expecting champagne and stuff. Ashley just kept buying them all alcopops instead :lol:

Said he's a sound, straight up bloke, no airs and graces. Ashley told him he reckons he's been really lucky with making all his money and that it just gets easier the more you have. Must be nice. As long as he spends plenty on nufc I'll be happy.

My only gripe is that in our Sports World you can buy every strip on the market, including sun'lun', but they don't have any new nufc. Plenty cheap boots for the kids though  :thup:

Very happy with both Ashley and Mort so far.  It is still early days and no doubt mistakes will be made but it is nice to see them mixing with the fans instead of keeping their distance.  Amused by Ashley wearing a Toon top and I like that he seems to be different from the usual kind of owner. 

Mort has made a favourable impression so far as Chairman and hopefully, we are on the way to be regaining our credibility rather than being a laughing stock as with the previous the Chairman.

Very happy with both Ashley and Mort so far.  It is still early days and no doubt mistakes will be made but it is nice to see them mixing with the fans instead of keeping their distance.  Amused by Ashley wearing a Toon top and I like that he seems to be different from the usual kind of owner. 

Mort has made a favourable impression so far as Chairman and hopefully, we are on the way to be regaining our credibility rather than being a laughing stock as with the previous the Chairman.

I agree with all that, When he first came here it took a lot of people by suprise and Ashley's motives we questioned but i think he has made it clear that he didnt buy this club to make a quick buck, Everytime i see him he has a big smile on his face and really looks like he's loving it at the games.

Its good to see Ashley, Mort and Sam all sitting and talking together at the games. Hopefully Sam will be teaching them about the game, Have the 2 seats in front of Sam been converted into to tv's?

Top Fella  bluelaugh.gif

for... *spit*... Charity

My only gripe is that in our Sports World you can buy every strip on the market, including sun'lun', but they don't have any new nufc.

went into the one on oxford st yesterday and was the same  :undecided:

they hade the inter away shirt though

Thing is, Sports Direct's gimmick is selling shirts cheaply. They could hardly sell new Newcastle shirts at £25 when the club shop sells them at top dollar. It would be like getting a tin of beans for 45p at Tesco Express when the same beans are £1.50 at Tesco Extra!  bluelaugh.gif

[move]PR[/move]

No man, i disagree, i genuinely think nufc is a toy with him, i know businessmen lie all the time like politicians but i cant help but think that his interview the other day had some genuine felings in there, showed to me that he just wants to watch football and enjoy life whilst making a success of the club as well as himself.

Cool, you disagree and i believe he is genuine down to earth bloke too. 

However, his PR company have done a fantastic job and all of the meeting the fans, buying the drinks, getting to know fanzines has openly been expressed as 'PR' by Mort.

Just because something is 'good PR' doesnt mean it has to be cynical or lying, its just that, good PR and in a customer-centric high volume retail business, PR is as important as branding. When it comes to taking over a football club its even more important. When it is seen in the context of the Glazers it becomes the most important thing in the whole piece. Will not hear otherwise either. His excellent PR strategy is a credit to him/them imo.

[move]PR[/move]

However, his PR company have done a fantastic job and all of the meeting the fans, buying the drinks, getting to know fanzines has openly been expressed as 'PR' by Mort.

Just because something is 'good PR' doesnt mean it has to be cynical or lying, its just that, good PR and in a customer-centric high volume retail business, PR is as important as branding. When it comes to taking over a football club its even more important. When it is seen in the context of the Glazers it becomes the most important thing in the whole piece. Will not hear otherwise either. His excellent PR strategy is a credit to him/them imo.

Thats it like, really knows what he's doing for a recluse!

[move]PR[/move]

If thats an attempt at sarcasm then i am  :blush: for you. If not then how is his social life relevant to his business skills? Or his muli-million pound marketing department's skills to be more precise?

[move]PR[/move]

If thats an attempt at sarcasm then i am  :blush: for you. If not then how is his social life relevant to his business skills? Or his muli-million pound marketing department's skills to be more precise?

All these public appearances connected to the club, yet before this there were about 5 photos of the man you could find on the net.

The club has changed him.

What a bloke he is,

Just seen the news there on the BBC and it showed you bits of last nights game.

I think it was Kaboul who skyed one into row Z late in the second half yesterday and Ashley was up on his feet like a fan waving his arms and taking the piss

What a bloke he is,

Just seen the news there on the BBC and it showed you bits of last nights game.

I think it was Berbatov who skyed one into row Z late in the second half yesterday and Ashley was up on his feet like a fan waving his arms and taking the piss

Kaboul it was, I've just seen it too. Kelmsley's face. :lol:

Be good if we could get a song going for him.

The Micheal Owen song (to the tune of nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbye) was an unusually original chant compared with the usual "There's only one..."  Reckon we could get some milage out of it by changing it to Micheal Ashley is he really does deliver long term.

[move]PR[/move]

All these public appearances connected to the club, yet before this there were about 5 photos of the man you could find on the net.

Or he learned a lot from the floatation.

I'm not saying he isnt genuine but to not think of all of this in the context of PR is naive.

[move]PR[/move]

Yeh i agree with most of that, except in my opinion PR is a cynical business tool. It's completely agenda ridden and is only used in order to entice customers with the belief that there is a relation occuring between the business and the custom, which in the end isnt true, PR is the stuff like player bag packing, or Mort going round schools and stuff. Ashley on the other hand just wants to watch football, i dont honestly think for one second he has beenadvised to go drinking with the fans for the sake of PR. Or sitting in a nufc shirt, it all genuine which completely rules of PR....well thats my opinion anyway, hope it makes sense.

I think people are honestly apprehensible about you using the abbrevaition of PR, Chez.  Like a "PR Stunt", it sounds much classier if it's phrased properly.  For instance: 

"Mike Ashley and Chris Mort are doing a fantastic job of public relations in regards to Newcastle United and their support." 

O0

[move]PR[/move]

Yeh i agree with most of that, except in my opinion PR is a cynical business tool. It's completely agenda ridden and is only used in order to entice customers with the belief that there is a relation occuring between the business and the custom, which in the end isnt true, PR is the stuff like player bag packing, or Mort going round schools and stuff. Ashley on the other hand just wants to watch football, i dont honestly think for one second he has beenadvised to go drinking with the fans for the sake of PR. Or sitting in a nufc shirt, it all genuine which completely rules of PR....well thats my opinion anyway, hope it makes sense.

Thats the secret of good PR, it looks natural  :parky:

Nah, you're generally right and its unfair to class the good image he has fostered as wholly down to cynical planning. However, if you had just bet £200m on an American football club (works for me as i'm not into it), you're going to get into the wins and the losses. Referring to his reactions last night, then i would say its natural and he is enjoying the experience.

However, Mort has already stated his main role is to meet people and win over the hearts and minds of the supporters. This is just basic business sense, not pulling the wool over people's eyes.

On the drinking with the fans and wearing the shirt, its to show us he cares. Its called PR whichever way you want to look at it.

[move]PR[/move]

I'm not saying he isnt genuine but to not think of all of this in the context of PR is naive.

Whether or not all this is intentional, or if its genuine, it doesn't really matter. The man has won me over, and i'm very happy to have him and Mort in control of one of the most important things in my life, my football club.

If its PR, i've bought it, but he didn't have to go as far as he's done, especially since he was reclusive, the attendance at SJP, and visibly being sighted on the lash in a toon top is beyond any PR exercise, again, especially for a recluse.

[move]PR[/move]

Whether or not all this is intentional, or if its genuine, it doesn't really matter. The man has won me over, and i'm very happy to have him and Mort in control of one of the most important things in my life, my football club.

If its PR, i've bought it, but he didn't have to go as far as he's done, especially since he was reclusive, the attendance at SJP, and visibly being sighted on the lash in a toon top is beyond any PR exercise, again, especially for a recluse.

On what basis are you calling him a recluse? Down to earth people tend not to be reclusive. Does he look uncomfortable in his public appearances? You would expect a recluse to be at least that.

Just because he didnt believe in having lots of meetings with analysts doesnt mean he is a recluse. Do you know how visible he is internally to his SportDirect employees? Thats a good comparison.

Whatever TT, if you dont get what i'm saying then fine.

[move]PR[/move]

On what basis are you calling him a recluse? Down to earth people tend not to be reclusive. Does he look uncomfortable in his public appearances? You would expect a recluse to be at least that.

Just because he didnt believe in having lots of meetings with analysts doesnt mean he is a recluse. Do you know how visible he is internally to his SportDirect employees? Thats a good comparison.

No need to get stroppy because someone doesn't have an opinion that matches your own.

It was well documented by just about every media source that he was a recluse when the takeover was going on, i can't even begin to think why you'd doubt that. That includes his employees from his other businesses, nobody ever saw him.

[move]PR[/move]

No need to get stroppy because someone doesn't have an opinion that matches your own.

It was well documented by just about every media source that he was a recluse when the takeover was going on, i can't even begin to think why you'd doubt that. That includes his employees from his other businesses, nobody ever saw him.

Thats not stroppy (but thanks for telling me what i'm thinking - that is btw) it was just i didnt think you got what i was saying from your responses.

I dont remember reading anything about his employees saying he wasnt a visible chairman/boss whatever, perhaps you could link it for me.

Also having spent 30 to 40 hours reading up on his business in the financial press, i didnt buy into the bitter ramblings of people like John Pritchard at Oriel Securities. Perhaps you have another take on his analysis reports though?