Reading pre match thread

NSG

he might play smith because we are away from home

he will want someone to charge the opposition down more

imo smith shouldnt start but big sam will think different

You should give him a bloody good talking to. Just who does he think he is?

Guest Reading Fan

The Reading team will be:

Hahnemann

Murty          Sonko        Ingimarsson      Shorey

Rosenior    Harper        Gunnarsson        Hunt

Kitson        Doyle

Apart from two positions that would have been our strongest line up from last season.

The difference is Gunnarsson has come in for Sidwell and Rosenior has come in for Little.

Gunnarsson is not even close to replacing Sidwell and Rosenior is no where near as good a right winger as Little.

The way to beat us is to have two or even one very fast striker up top.

I would go with Martins and Owen if I was big Sam. Leave Viduka on the bench.

West Ham beat us 3-0 at the Madejski a few weeks ago and Bellamy tore us to shreds.

Its because we no longer have Sidwell protecting the back 4. We are very weak and exposed at the back.

And Ingimarsson and Duberry if he plays ahead of Sonko are not the quickest.

I think you will probably beat us because you have the firepower. The teams we have beaten at home, Derby, Wigan and Everton don't have the same type of firepower as Newcastle. The teams who have beaten us, West Ham and Chelsea had the right firepower.

As long as Big Sam gets his tactics right you can't lose.

Guest Reading Fan

I think we'll definitely see the use of a target man up front - either Viduka or Smith - with the question being who misses out. Personally I would be tempted to stick with Oba for his pace on the break, but Owen is probably the more likely starter.

Midfield I think will probably be the same, unless Milner starts for N'Zogbia - pretty sure Barton will have to make do with bench for at least one more game.

Reassuring thing is that I've agreed with just about all of Sam's selections in recent games, so happy enough to trust his judgement.

I hope you do go with a target man up front. Reading will cope better with that than with two fast pacey strikers.

Guest Reading Fan

Why are people saying Martins on the bench? Are people forgetting Spurs? Martins scored, Owen didnt, it isnt if Owen is fit he starts, it SHOULD be if one of them scores then THEY start and seen as Oba scored in the previous game he warrents the start.

Martins caused us all manner of problems at St James last season.

Martins would be the best choice to hammer Reading.

Guest Reading Fan

We're not worried about Reading mate.

You shouldn't be........

If you lose it would be a tactical travesty of the highest order.

You shouldn't be........

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11673_2820310,00.html

Reading have the second worst defensive record in the league. An open game would suit us great, as i think Martins and owen etc are likely to score alot more than their strikers will versus our new but so far impressive back 4, plus Butt. I do agree with Reading fan that speed i.e. martins and Owen is the way to go.

Is Lita fit?

Why are people saying Martins on the bench? Are people forgetting Spurs? Martins scored, Owen didnt, it isnt if Owen is fit he starts, it SHOULD be if one of them scores then THEY start and seen as Oba scored in the previous game he warrents the start.

Interesting analysis, this and your other posts.  Did WHU play on the break or all out attack?

I think that we should have Butt and Barton in midfield as Reading are a "big" side and we need some more muscle than what emre will be able to do for us. Bring him on in the second half if things are going well...

I would also stick with Geremi on the right as this makes us harder to beat. But I would change zog for Milner on the left as his work rate is far superior and his end product is nearly the same:

-------Given---------

Beye---Cacapa--Faye---Enrique

Geremi--Barton--Butt---Milner

-----Owen ---Martins----

Subs: Roz, Viduka, Emre, Harps, Zogg

Guest Reading Fan

Interesting analysis, this and your other posts.  Did WHU play on the break or all out attack?

West Ham played on the break and they absolutely hammered us. We attacked them as we normally attack most teams that come to our place. But they played Bellamy up on the half way line. His movement was superb and it only needed a couple of great passes out of midfield to release him. He left our back 4 for dead.  That is definitely the way to hurt us at the Mad Stad. Personally I would be happier if Newcastle play with Smith and Viduka up front. That would suit us much better.

Guest Reading Fan

I think that we should have Butt and Barton in midfield as Reading are a "big" side and we need some more muscle than what emre will be able to do for us. Bring him on in the second half if things are going well...

I would also stick with Geremi on the right as this makes us harder to beat. But I would change zog for Milner on the left as his work rate is far superior and his end product is nearly the same:

-------Given---------

Beye---Cacapa--Faye---Enrique

Geremi--Barton--Butt---Milner

-----Owen ---Martins----

Subs: Roz, Viduka, Emre, Harps, Zogg

Are you sure Reading are a big side? I thought we were pretty small.....

Murty = small

Shorey = small

Ingimarsson - not that big for a Centre back

Hunt = small

Convey = small

Harper = small

Gunnarsson = tall

Rosenior = not exactly big

Lita = small

Kitson = tall

Doyle = strong

Sonko = big and strong and fast

Bikey = Big and strong

Duberry = Big and slow

In terms of dropping Emre for Joey Barton. All I can say is this. Emre scored a magnificent winner for Newcastle against us at St James last season and had the edge on our midfield.

Last season when we were away at Man City, we beat city 2-0 and Joey Barton was easily out played.

Guest Reading Fan

You shouldn't be........

Reading have the second worst defensive record in the league. An open game would suit us great, as i think Martins and owen etc are likely to score alot more than their strikers will versus our new but so far impressive back 4, plus Butt. I do agree with Reading fan that speed i.e. martins and Owen is the way to go.

Is Lita fit?

Lita is fit but he's not the first choice.

At the moment Kitson is top of the order. Then its between Doyle, Lita & Long. Doyle is slightly ahead at the moment.

Lita is a great finisher but he doesn't do enough work to get chances and to work for the team. His movement is probably not premiership level. If it was he would get a ton of goals.

We must not lose this one, so set up to make sure we are solid and we could go with 5 at the back, or even a 5-4-1

------------------Given

------Cacapa----Faye-------Roze

Beye---------------------------------Jose

-----Geremi-----Butt------Barton

-----------Owen-------Martins

BENCH

Harper

Taylor

Emre

Zoggy

Smith

------------------Given

Geremi----Barton----Butt--------Zoggy

--------------Martins/Owen

We must not lose this one, so set up to make sure we are solid and we could go with 5 at the back, or even a 5-4-1

------------------Given

BENCH

Harper

Taylor

Emre

Zoggy

Smith

------------------Given

That looks good but I doubt we would ever see it!

------------------Given

BENCH

Harper

Taylor

Emre

Zoggy

Smith

------------------Given

You always choose strange formations skirge. 10/10 for creativity but i can't see anything other than 442 or 451/433.

------------------Given

BENCH

Harper

Taylor

Emre

Zoggy

Smith

------------------Given

That looks good but I doubt we would ever see it!

My main worry with the 5-4-1 would be Martins or Owen's ability to hold up the ball, Barton is the ideal choice as a CM that will get forward and support the front man so it may work. My thoughts are more on being solid a the back though and not giving away silly goals

We would be looking for a ball over the top like we did for Martins v City and Spurs to try and nick one.

------------------Given

BENCH

Harper

Taylor

Emre

Zoggy

Smith

------------------Given

That looks shit but I doubt we would ever see it!

FYP ;)

I am just messing with possibilities :D I know Sam will probably go with a 4-5-1 or 4-4-2

---------------Given

Beye---Cacapa----Faye----Jose

Ger--Barton--Butt--Emre--Zog

---------------Martins

OR

--------------Given

Beye--Cacapa--Faye--Jose

Smith-Geremi-Barton-Zog

--------Owen--Martins

You shouldn't be........

Reading have the second worst defensive record in the league. An open game would suit us great, as i think Martins and owen etc are likely to score alot more than their strikers will versus our new but so far impressive back 4

Is Lita fit?

Didn't Derby have the worst defence?

I agree with Reading Fan, if nufc lose this, once again it will show theres something wrong. Its a must win game, and a definite winable one at that.

You shouldn't be........

Reading have the second worst defensive record in the league. An open game would suit us great, as i think Martins and owen etc are likely to score alot more than their strikers will versus our new but so far impressive back 4

Is Lita fit?

Didn't Derby have the worst defence?

I agree with Reading Fan, if nufc lose this, once again it will show theres something wrong. Its a must win game, and a definite winable one at that.

I agree. If we lose or draw, questions must be asked regarding our away form.

I'm still going for my previous prediction of a 2 - 0 win with Oba and Emre scoring the goals.

My starting line up would be:

Given

Beye Faye Cacapa Enrique

Milner Butt Emre N'Zogbia

Owen Martins

I think since Emre and Butt worked well in the centre against Spurs we should stick with them in the middle then bring either Barton on for Emre after about 60 minutes as both will lack match fitness, Barton more so.

Guest Reading Fan

I'm still going for my previous prediction of a 2 - 0 win with Oba and Emre scoring the goals.

My starting line up would be:

Given

Beye Faye Cacapa Enrique

Milner Butt Emre N'Zogbia

Owen Martins

I think since Emre and Butt worked well in the centre against Spurs we should stick with them in the middle then bring either Barton on for Emre after about 60 minutes as both will lack match fitness, Barton more so.

I agree with that line up. I think thats the right team for Saturday.

If you play that team it will make for an open and exciting game. You will edge it because Butt & Emre will definitely win the midfield battle over Gunnarsson and Harper. Quite easily I would imagine. Owen & Martins would cause havoc across our defence. Owen because his movement is amazing. Ingimarsson & Sonko always get done by good movement. Thats why Andy Johnson always scores against us and Martins will just knock Ingimarsson sideways with his blistering pace. Without Sidwell in our team, the defence is unprotected and are leaking goals all over the place.

I would honestly be very surprised if Newcastle don't win this game.

Reading will need to be beating the likes of Birmingham, Wigan, Derby, Fulham, Sunderland, Boro & Bolton this year. We can forget about beating the likes of Newcastle, Man City, Pompey, Villa & Blackburn this season. Last season it was possible but this year those teams have bolstered up alot.