Form away from home

McCormick

I agree some what but not totally. Our defence looked awful home and away last season. This season our defence looks quite good at home, it's just the tactics and mentality that is putting our defence under too much pressure away from home.

Agreed, it's the tactics that's wrong now, not the players in defence.

We've strengthened the defence like many people said we should, but our defence isn't any better.

Some of us correctly said what the biggest problem was a year ago.

Aye, imagine if Allardyce tried to play a defensive game like he did today with with Bramble, Moore, Carr and Babayaro.

Good post, mate.

Has the defensive record improved ?

Yes, I think it has but if you're going to send a team out with a view of being happy with a 0-0 then you're going to invite unneeded pressure on yourself.

Our defeats away from home have been down to poor tactics from the manager, nothing to do with whether he brought in new defenders or strikers because he brought in both in the summer.

Aye, imagine if Allardyce tried to play a defensive game like he did today with with Bramble, Moore, Carr and Babayaro.

Good post, mate.

bluelaugh.gif

see my reply to Baggio. And how many goals did we concede in the same fixture last year ?

Not like you to ignore facts  mackems.gif

We've strengthened the defence like many people said we should, but our defence isn't any better.

Good post, mate.

Yes, I think it has but if you're going to send a team out with a view of being happy with a 0-0 then you're going to invite unneeded pressure on yourself.

Our defeats away from home have been down to poor tactics from the manager, nothing to do with whether he brought in new defenders or strikers because he brought in both in the summer.

I think the problem is exactly the same as it was a year ago.

see my reply to Baggio. And how many goals did we concede in the same fixture last year ?

I've seen your reply to Bagio, you're all about point scoring on here regardless of the facts.  Nobody is claiming that our defensive record has improved but some can see the problem with the tactics, you can't.

Good post, mate.

Not having someone to hold the ball up?

We conceded the second with your man Alan Smith on the field so perhaps someone to hold the ball up wasn't that good today after all.

Good post, mate.

bluelaugh.gif

Even if they are pointless facts?

I've seen your reply to Bagio, you're all about point scoring on here regardless of the facts.  Nobody is claiming that our defensive record has improved but some can see the problem with the tactics, you can't.

I'd rather Newcastle had got the points, despite what Dave said.

I've posted my opinion on the faults in the team, I can't be bothered to do it again. Fact is, better defenders hasn't improved our defending. End of.

And, while you are saying I can't see the tactics, the comments I've been making for ages about what I think the problem is, is tactical, dictated by the type of players and their relative positions, that we have at the club.

You're not at your brightest today are you  bluelaugh.gif

Good post, mate.

We conceded the second with your man Alan Smith on the field so perhaps someone to hold the ball up wasn't that good today after all.

Would you prefer Ameobi ?

I've posted my opinion on the faults in the team, I can't be bothered to do it again. Fact is, better defenders hasn't improved our defending. End of.

And, while you are saying I can't see the tactics, the comments I've been making for ages about what I think the problem is, is tactical, dictated by the type of players and their relative positions, that we have at the club.

Nice points scoring final sentence tbh

Good post, mate.

Where did I say that?

Your whole argument was that we need a striker who can hold the ball up better to stop us from conceding, you then went on about Alan Smith the other week agreeing with people who said he'd do that yet Reading scored the winner with him on the pitch.

So your point is wrong too.

You probably think that we need more forwards, I'm sure that was what you were saying last year.  A year ago we had Rossi and Duff up front, today we had Martins and Owen but didn't get the best out of them because of the way the team was set out, not because of who played up front.

How long before this breaks into a debate about Shepherd?

Its easy watch

What was our problem a year ago?

Shepherd

mackems.gif

Good post, mate.

Where did I say that?

Your whole argument was that we need a striker who can hold the ball up better to stop us from conceding, you then went on about Alan Smith the other week agreeing with people who said he'd do that yet Reading scored the winner with him on the pitch.

Its not wrong. When Smith came on, we played better and were well on top when we equalised. The balance of play changed, because he was right to bring Smith on. Its a bit daft to suggest that getting your shape better means its impossible to lose  :kasper:

I know you have a grudge against Smith, but it was the right change.

BTW, I don't just mean holding the ball up, I mean general possession, keeping the ball, forcing the pace of the game and using their intelligence when passing and moving.

Good post, mate.

Where did I say that?

Its not wrong. When Smith came on, we played better and were well on top when we equalised. The balance of play changed, because he was right to bring Smith on. Its a bit daft to suggest that getting your shape better means its impossible to lose  :kasper:

BTW, I don't just mean holding the ball up, I mean general possession, keeping the ball, forcing the pace of the game and using their intelligence when passing and moving.

We played better because we had more width, nothing to do with Smith.

We played better when we brought on some width.

Good post, mate.

Where did I say that?

We played better because we had more width, nothing to do with Smith.

yes, I agree that playing with more width is better too, thats what I was getting at when I was commenting on possession etc, I was only answering Baggio