Form away from home

McCormick

yes, I agree that playing with more width is better too, thats what I was getting at when I was commenting on possession etc, I was only answering Baggio

A year ago you thought we should get more forwards instead of defenders, today we had good forwards but didn't use them.  It doesn't matter who you play up front if you don't give them the ball in the danger area.

Shepherd

blueyes.gif

I couldn't argue with that.

I'm looking forward to the current regime matching those Champions League qualifications.

:lol:

He's adorable when he does that

aye, winning games, playing in europe. All the PR you need. 

Unless you know something nobody else does, and we've matched it already  :lol:

Shepherd

blueyes.gif

I couldn't argue with that.

I'm looking forward to the current regime matching those Champions League qualifications.

:lol:

He's adorable when he does that

aye, winning games, playing in europe. All the PR you need. 

Unless you know something nobody else does, and we've matched it already  :lol:

At the risk of sounding like a plastic Boro fan............"Easy! Easy! Easy! Easy!"

yes, I agree that playing with more width is better too, thats what I was getting at when I was commenting on possession etc, I was only answering Baggio

A year ago you thought we should get more forwards instead of defenders, today we had good forwards but didn't use them.  It doesn't matter who you play up front if you don't give them the ball in the danger area.

Forward players, forward players.

At this level, you can't give the ball away all the time, you have to pass and move, and keep the ball, and be patient. I think the whole balance of our forward players is wrong, neither Martins or Owen are players you can hit the ball at, nor bring others into the game. We lack pace and width in midfield. And we lack these things as backup too. He has brought in some good defenders, but if we are going to move into the top positions, he has to change his forwards, and also, he has to accept that just lumping the ball into the danger area is not the way talented players utilise their talent either.

The absolute priority is to buy at least 2 forward players to go straight into the team, with pace, and one who will give width.

NE5 maybe we should sell our whole team to Man Utd and then buy their current team off them for £600 million, we could sell SJP park to fund it? Ashley will never go for this though, if Shepherd was here he would be all for it because he is a true Toon, his blood is black and white innit.

At this level, you can't give the ball away all the time, you have to pass and move, and keep the ball, and be patient. I think the whole balance of our forward players is wrong, neither Martins or Owen are players you can hit the ball at, nor bring others into the game. We lack pace and width in midfield. And we lack these things as backup too. He has brought in some good defenders, but if we are going to move into the top positions, he has to change his forwards, and also, he has to accept that just lumping the ball into the danger area is not the way talented players utilise their talent either.

The absolute priority is to buy at least 2 forward players to go straight into the team, with pace, and one who will give width.

I agreed with most of that but you lost it with the last line, we played forwards today who were good enough to piss all over Reading, we lost it because we didn't bring them into the game, getting 2 forward players will not change that.

NE5 maybe we should sell our whole team to Man Utd and then buy their current team off them for £600 million, we could sell SJP park to fund it? Ashley will never go for this though, if Shepherd was here he would be all for it because he is a true Toon, his blood is black and white innit.

nowt like a constructive reply

We've strengthened the defence like many people said we should, but our defence isn't any better.

Some of us correctly said what the biggest problem was a year ago.

Aye, imagine if Allardyce tried to play a defensive game like he did today with with Bramble, Moore, Carr and Babayaro.

Good post, mate.

Has the defensive record improved ?

Yes, I think it has but if you're going to send a team out with a view of being happy with a 0-0 then you're going to invite unneeded pressure on yourself.

Our defeats away from home have been down to poor tactics from the manager, nothing to do with whether he brought in new defenders or strikers because he brought in both in the summer.

I think the problem is exactly the same as it was a year ago.

Not having someone to hold the ball up?

We conceded the second with your man Alan Smith on the field so perhaps someone to hold the ball up wasn't that good today after all.

Would you prefer Ameobi ?

Where did I say that?

Your whole argument was that we need a striker who can hold the ball up better to stop us from conceding, you then went on about Alan Smith the other week agreeing with people who said he'd do that yet Reading scored the winner with him on the pitch.

So your point is wrong too.

Its not wrong. When Smith came on, we played better and were well on top when we equalised. The balance of play changed, because he was right to bring Smith on. Its a bit daft to suggest that getting your shape better means its impossible to lose  :kasper:

I know you have a grudge against Smith, but it was the right change.

BTW, I don't just mean holding the ball up, I mean general possession, keeping the ball, forcing the pace of the game and using their intelligence when passing and moving.

We played better because we had more width, nothing to do with Smith.

So you agree then that our problem today was to do with bad tactics rather that signing defenders?

I don't have a grudge against Smith, I just recognise he doesn't score enough and doesn't offer the team enough to make up for it.

I agreed with most of that but you lost it with the last line, we played forwards today who were good enough to piss all over Reading, we lost it because we didn't bring them into the game, getting 2 forward players will not change that.

so how do you think we change it

BTW, getting 2 forward players of good enough quality [not cheap] certainly would change it IMO

BTW, getting 2 forward players of good enough quality [not cheap] certainly would change it IMO

Like who?

Can't understand playing Geremi and Emre out of position and leaving Jinky and Zog on the bench till it was too late (I assume that's  how we started, was at work and just caught the last 20 minutes on the wireless on the metro home.)

Like who?

Craig Bellamy of course.

We've strengthened the defence like many people said we should, but our defence isn't any better.

Aye, imagine if Allardyce tried to play a defensive game like he did today with with Bramble, Moore, Carr and Babayaro.

Good post, mate.

Yes, I think it has but if you're going to send a team out with a view of being happy with a 0-0 then you're going to invite unneeded pressure on yourself.

Our defeats away from home have been down to poor tactics from the manager, nothing to do with whether he brought in new defenders or strikers because he brought in both in the summer.

We conceded the second with your man Alan Smith on the field so perhaps someone to hold the ball up wasn't that good today after all.

Where did I say that?

Your whole argument was that we need a striker who can hold the ball up better to stop us from conceding, you then went on about Alan Smith the other week agreeing with people who said he'd do that yet Reading scored the winner with him on the pitch.

Its not wrong. When Smith came on, we played better and were well on top when we equalised. The balance of play changed, because he was right to bring Smith on. Its a bit daft to suggest that getting your shape better means its impossible to lose  :kasper:

BTW, I don't just mean holding the ball up, I mean general possession, keeping the ball, forcing the pace of the game and using their intelligence when passing and moving.

So you agree then that our problem today was to do with bad tactics rather that signing defenders?

I don't have a grudge against Smith, I just recognise he doesn't score enough and doesn't offer the team enough to make up for it.

his players are dictating his tactics. Players always dictate the tactics. The alternative is the manager who plays them out of position and in the wrong way, they do this because they are either clueless or they don't have the type of players they want at their clubs.

Allardyce chose to sign the defenders that he did. And while they all seem to be good buys and he's done very well, I think he should have signed at least one more forward player, and that was before letting Solano and Dyer go.

I wouldn't have changed the team we put out on Monday, I'd have gone at Reading like you've suggested instead of narrowing our game and allowing them to come at us.  I'd have used Owen and Martins to really have a go at the Reading defence instead of having them chasing lost causes and coming deep looking for scraps.

Good post, mate.

Where did I say that?

his players are dictating his tactics. Players always dictate the tactics. The alternative is the manager who plays them out of position and in the wrong way, they do this because they are either clueless or they don't have the type of players they want at their clubs.

Allardyce chose to sign the defenders that he did. And while they all seem to be good buys and he's done very well, I think he should have signed at least one more forward player, and that was before letting Solano and Dyer go.

How are his players dictating his tactics?

He's got 2 wingers and left both of them on the bench today to play a more narrow system, he's got no pace in midfield because he left N'Zogbia on the bench and chose not to replace Dyer properly, this is his fault as they were his decisions.

He signed 2 strikers in the summer in Smith and Viduka, how is he supposed to accommodate yet another striker on top of those two?