Owen and signing a new contract

Decky

The cynic in me see this in a different light. The other day, Allardyce said that clubs shouldn't try to buy Owen from them because the price would be too high. http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/tm_headline=hands-off-you-can-8217-t-afford-him%26method=full%26objectid=20016637%26siteid=61634-name_page.html

Now he's saying that Owen is not guaranteed to be offered a new contract.

So, here's how I read this: He's saying that he doesn't necessarily see Owen in his long-term plans, and the club is willing to sell Owen, but only for a large sum of money. I think it's possible that he's sending a message out to the likes of Manchester City or Arsenal, who have money to spend, to make a ridiculous offer for him.

The cynic in me see this in a different light. The other day, Allardyce said that clubs shouldn't try to buy Owen from them because the price would be too high. http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/tm_headline=hands-off-you-can-8217-t-afford-him%26method=full%26objectid=20016637%26siteid=61634-name_page.html

Now he's saying that Owen is not guaranteed to be offered a new contract.

So, here's how I read this: He's saying that he doesn't necessarily see Owen in his long-term plans, and the club is willing to sell Owen, but only for a large sum of money. I think it's possible that he's sending a message out to the likes of Manchester City or Arsenal, who have money to spend, to make a ridiculous offer for him.

Wait a minute, the bbc article with "he will have to perform to be offered a new contract" (17th Oct) came before the "you can't afford him" (Last few days) article in the Journal.

Personally I don't think Allardyce will sell Owen but I don't think whether SA wants to keep Owen has little to do with getting him to sign up for a new contract.  The length of the remaining contract directly affects Owen's transfer value so it would make sense to get the contract extended no matter what the long term intentions are. 

IIRC, Spurs agreed new contracts ahead of transfer windows with Calum Davenport, Sean Davis and Simon Davies only for all of them to be sold once the window opened.

Guest rebel_yell12

I read something the other day about Chris Mort stating that the club is starting negotiations with Owen's representatives to contract him until summer 2012 (at which point Owen will be 32) -- and wants to have it sorted before the January transfer window.  This indicates that Mort & Ashley either want to keep him, which makes sense because if nothing else, Owen guarantees a few more years of being able to say "Newcastle have England's best finisher/first choice striker" and let's face it, most clubs are quite proud of their England players as it's a sign of being "bigger" than the clubs that don't.  If you want to win things, you have to hang onto top class players.  OR the club is covering their asses, if they sell him with a contract extended to 2012, he's worth a lot more money -- especially if he's been fit for the vast majority of the season and is scoring goals on his regular pace (1 in 2 or so over his career). 

How would Owen signing an extended contract affect his reception on Tyneside?  Do you think fans would see it as him dedicating himself to the club?  Assuming that Mort isn't going to put in similar "get out" clauses beyond the standard "relegation clause" that I believe is in every top player's contract without any expectation it would be needed/exercised.  Personally, I'd love to see Owen stay with Newcastle -- I think he's just top class as a player and as a man, the exact sort Newcastle need to move steadily forward. 

Guest Mucky01

If Owen did not sign a contract with his beloved Liverpool and left threatenining to leave on a Bosnam - how is he going to stay with us unless its about bucket loads of £££££££££££ - and dont forget he can buy himself out of his contract these days never mind get out cluases.

If Owen did not sign a contract with his beloved Liverpool and left threatenining to leave on a Bosnam - how is he going to stay with us unless its about bucket loads of £££££££££££ - and dont forget he can buy himself out of his contract these days never mind get out cluases.

He wanted to go to Madrid to experience football abroad, he wont be doing that anymore, his words.

Guest scousertommy

That's the great thing about the internet - you can write absolute b******* about anything youlike.

Owen did not "threaten to do a bosman" he in fact said that he would never leave LFC for nowt but he DID want to experience life abroad.

But hey, F*** it while I'm here - I know for  a FACT that several of youyr players hate the manager, 4 of them are gay, and one likes to collect stamps in his spare time*

*I actually don't know if any of that's true but the laws of the internet football forum dictate that at least half a dozen people on here will believe me and tell their mates that  hand on heart, it's definately true.

Guest Saint Andy

*I actually don't know if any of that's true but the laws of the internet football forum dictate that at least half a dozen people on here will believe me and tell their mates that  hand on heart, it's definately true.

:D

this is newcastle we are talking about sonny,my estimate would be a half dozen per hour for at least a month.

Guest Mucky01

:lol:

aye ban the internet I reckon.

stop people from posting, getting it wrong, and being corrected by better informed people.

– someones on their rags I reckon.

He doesnt look at all happy- reminds me of Shearer in the bad old days under Gullit- all drooped shoulders and long face.

If he' still here this time next year, I'll be shocked.

Guest thenorthumbrian

He doesnt look at all happy- reminds me of Shearer in the bad old days under Gullit- all drooped shoulders and long face.

If he' still here this time next year, I'll be shocked.

Agreed, if he stays fine, but if he wants to go then as soon as possible. 

Guest johnson293

From BBC Sport Rumours...

Michael Owen crushed Manchester City's hopes of signing him by pledging his future to Newcastle. (Daily Mirror)

Can't see anything more on The Mirror Website - but i presume this is just the same thing as posted on the official site? i.e. a pledge for the rest of the current season, but claiming that no contract talks have started yet?

EDIT: Here it is...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/2007/11/02/it-s-tyne-for-owen-to-block-sven-bid-89520-20049630/

It's Tyne for Owen to block Sven bid

02/11/2007

Michael Owen has wrecked Manchester City's chance of signing him in January by insisting he is staying at Newcastle.

The England and United striker wants to celebrate the birth of his third child Emily by scoring a goal for her and grabbing the points against Portsmouth tomorrow.

And Owen says his "actions speak louder than words" and has rejected suggestions linking him with a £10million move away from Tyneside to Sven Goran Eriksson's club.

Owen has this season and next left on his deal, and said: "I signed a four-year contract and I believe that actions speak louder than words, I'm still here and love it.

"There has been no talk of a new contract because I still have two years to run on this one.

"I do my best every time I play but no matter what I do or say there will still be stories and that's frustrating for the fans. A month hasn't gone by without somebody saying I'm going here, there and everywhere.

"It's water off a duck's back for me but it must be frustrating for the fans and the club."

Nicky Butt has opened talks with Newcastle over a new contract to keep him at the club beyond this summer.

The former Manchester United and England midfielder has emerged as a key figure in manager Sam Allardyce's midfield but is a free agent in June.

Allardyce said: "Talks are going on. He is someone I'd like to stick around.

"He has played in virtually every game this season and has been one of our best performers.

"I'd like to give him another one, maybe two years contract.

"In terms of fitness we can prolong his career with the tools and expertise we have here, like we did with Gary Speed at Bolton.

"Nicky has still got a lot of destroying quality in his play and he's only 31."

he has to be more pissed off about it than we are, he should not need to keep on having to come out and say he is staying, I am more worried about his lack of goals since he came back than I am about these constant shite articles about him leaving us.