Norwich appoint Roeder, Lee Clark goes too (and now Pattison on loan)

Guest alex

Good luck to him. He's a good bloke but out of his depth at Newcastle.

Didn't help him that complete wankers like N'Zogbia opted to take a season off.

I see Roeder as a whingeing wanker to be honest. He couldn't handle N'Zogbia which is one of the reasons why he's such a shit manager. I don't buy into this 'good bloke' stuff either. It's a euphemism for being shite at his job.

Do you walk all over your boss and expect him to pander to your every whim?

We don't know that's what N'Zogbia did but in any case it's a meaningless analogy imo - professional footballers are totally different to just about any other career you care to mention for a number of reasons - the money they get at such a young age and all the problems that can come with that, the position of power players are now in regarding their contracts (i.e. the Bosman ruling etc.) plus loads of other factors (agents and so on). You can't just rule with an iron rod - half the players will tell you to piss off. It's not very nice but not many are like James Milner - although Roeder tried his best to annoy even him with his non-existent man-management skills.

Good luck to him. He's a good bloke but out of his depth at Newcastle.

Didn't help him that complete wankers like N'Zogbia opted to take a season off.

I see Roeder as a whingeing wanker to be honest. He couldn't handle N'Zogbia which is one of the reasons why he's such a shit manager. I don't buy into this 'good bloke' stuff either. It's a euphemism for being shite at his job.

Do you walk all over your boss and expect him to pander to your every whim?

We don't know that's what N'Zogbia did but in any case it's a meaningless analogy imo - professional footballers are totally different to just about any other career you care to mention for a number of reasons - the money they get at such a young age and all the problems that can come with that, the position of power players are now in regarding their contracts (i.e. the Bosman ruling etc.) plus loads of other factors (agents and so on). You can't just rule with an iron rod - half the players will tell you to piss off. It's not very nice but not many are like James Milner - although Roeder tried his best to annoy even him with his non-existent man-management skills.

But that lack of respect (assumed here) makes me think he is the twat, not Roeder. Even with the best will in the world, if a relationship has deteriorated its not down to just the manager to sort it out. It goes beyond the man-management issue anyway, if he doesnt naturally respect the authority of the club that pays his wages then what can you do? I've seen too many bolshy moody frenchmen in the workplace to apportion the blame to Roeder's man-management skills. Allardyce's solution was to employ someone who speaks his language and ask him to do the man-management for him (i.e Geremi).

The scenario you describe (which is part of the reality but not all players are twats) would flummox the best man-managers in the world as the balance of power is so far removed from the natural order. Ferguson and Beckham is an interesting example as is Mourinho and Drogba. Neither of those examples of approach to man-management compare well to a lad who had about 10 good games for a club at the age 19 (going back a season or two).

N'Zogbia would have been VERY difficult to handle, hence i dont think Roeder is a wanker for getting it wrong. Not quite up to it but even the best either have to go to extremes (Mourinho) or fuck the player off (Ferguson).

Mutually to blame then perhaps. I just don't accept any of the reasons I've ever heard put forward for Roeder's failure here though. Completely down to him not being upto the job on so many different levels imo.

i don't think roeder comes across as a wanker, just someone out of his depth who didn't have the charisma or authority to manage a big football club. tactically i don't think he was too bad, he was no Souness and generally avoided putting circles into squares and so on, tho the reliance on "his" captain was unfortunate. i don't doubt that N'Zogbia had a bad attitude last season but you'll have players like that in every squad in the country, and it is the manager's job to deal with it whatever way they see fit, without it damaging the results on the pitch. roeder didn't get the best out of zoggy so you'd have to say he failed.

Mutually to blame then perhaps. I just don't accept any of the reasons I've ever heard put forward for Roeder's failure here though. Completely down to him not being upto the job on so many different levels imo.

Its much to Allardyce's credit that he knew that someone closer to N'Zogbia's cultural background (French speaking African) would do a better job than him at bringing him back into the fold.

Worth noting that Allardyce has improved 10 positions in the sqaud (or however many) and hasnt exactly revolutionised the performances. We've gained about 4 places in the league so far compared roughly to where we were hovering last year.

I sat next to you at Blackburn so neither of us need reminding how shite we were come the end of the season when it became clear to everyone he had to go. 

My abiding memory of his time here was during the defeat to City at home last season. Mpenza had scored and our heads had dropped. The camera then panned to Roeder and stayed on him for about 6 or 7 seconds. He was stood there, arms folded giving his players nothing. No encouragement, no change in tactics, no subs warming up - nothing. He looked totally and utterly clueless. He simply didn't know what to do to change it round and he'd just run out of ideas.

Just a rank shite manager. It doesn't augur well for Norwich and I can't think of a more uninspiring and inappropriate choice to drag them up the league. They might still turn it round but if they do, it'll be despite him - not because of him.

My abiding memory of his time here was during the defeat to City at home last season. Mpenza had scored and our heads had dropped. The camera then panned to Roeder and stayed on him for about 6 or 7 seconds. He was stood there, arms folded giving his players nothing. No encouragement, no change in tactics, no subs warming up - nothing. He looked totally and utterly clueless. He simply didn't know what to do to change it round and he'd just run out of ideas.

Just a rank shite manager. It doesn't augur well for Norwich and I can't think of a more uninspiring and inappropriate choice to drag them up the league. They might still turn it round but if they do, it'll be despite him - not because of him.

Ridiculous logic. If we do shite, its down to him, if they do well its despite him. Howay man.

he'd already made 3 subs by the time mpenza scored  :razz:

Ridiculous logic. If we do shite, its down to him, if they do well its despite him. Howay man.

:lol:

What I mean is I don't think he's the man to get them organised and turn them round. They will however, manage to scrape a few results and pick up a few points.

I've not explained that very well!

Jpd - I thought he still had a sub to make.  :blush:

:lol:

What I mean is I don't think he's the man to get them organised and turn them round. They will however, manage to scrape a few results and pick up a few points.

I've not explained that very well!

Jpd - I thought he still had a sub to make.  :blush:

He probably did too tbf.

One of mine is right at the last, of grown men throwing empty season ticket books onto the pitch. Still to this day i havent got a fucking clue what that is meant to say to anybody apart from 'i'm annoyed but i dont know how to express it'. Fair enough, it was slow-motion car crash of a season but stamping your feet and screaming wouldnt have been much more idiotic.

One of mine is right at the last, of grown men throwing empty season ticket books onto the pitch. Still to this day i havent got a fucking clue what that is meant to say to anybody apart from 'i'm annoyed but i dont know how to express it'. Fair enough, it was slow-motion car crash of a season but stamping your feet and screaming wouldnt have been much more idiotic.

:lol: I'd love to think that was him being ironic but I doubt it. Could you make a more meaningless gesture?

Away to Alkmaar was the worst momont of Glenn Roeder's regime.

Just watching him stand there like a dickhead on the touchline doing absolutely nothing except watch Huntington.. and well, our whole team, get totally murdered was so infuriating.  Not an ounce of passion from the guy, then you looked at Van Gaal, who was running down the touchline, shouting at his players, actually showing that he was up for it and that he cared.  Roeder also waited until about 8 minutes was left to bring on N'Zogbia when we needed a goal to go through.

Good luck, Norwich.  You'll fucking need it.

Guest Sniffer

With 6 or 7 minutes to go against reading,  fat sam was slumped in his chair rubbing his face, scratching his head, checking out his fingernails. No encouragement, no shouting ....fuck all. Clearly given up.

No different to roeder standing with his arms folded saying nothing.

I hope he keeps them up, and gets a chance to promote them, or at least get them fighting for promotion in the next couple of years.

It would be nice to see how he does in a job long term, so far its only ever been a couple of years or so each time.

With 6 or 7 minutes to go against reading,  fat sam was slumped in his chair rubbing his face, scratching his head, checking out his fingernails. No encouragement, no shouting ....fuck all. Clearly given up.

No different to roeder standing with his arms folded saying nothing.

Aye well, if you only compare those two things, I suppose they are fairly similar. I suppose that puts Roeder in the same class as Bobby Robson too.