Gazza Is Training With Our Youth Team

Skirge

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_2833405,00.html

Paul Gascoigne has revealed he is training with Newcastle's youth Academy as part of his bid to beat alcohol addiction.

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News, the former Newcastle and England star explained how he is keeping fit by playing with the club's youngsters and was full of praise for the impact Sam Allardyce has had at St James' Park.

He said: "I've been going and training with the Academy and I've really enjoyed it. I've done my own gym work, but it's nice to kick the ball about. That's what I love doing.

"I still wish I could put my boots on now and again, but I think the old bones and all the injuries are starting to take their toll.

"I think Sam Allardyce did great at Bolton for what he had and he's brought some good staff with him.

"He's making changes at Newcastle and I know that he's put top-class equipment in for the guys and he's definitely going to be given money."

However, Gazza is less impressed with England's efforts to qualify for Euro 2008 and reckons the team were made to pay for defending too deep in the 2-1 defeat to Russia earlier this month.

Disappointed

"I can't understand how we're in the position that we are and I'm sure the lads were really, really disappointed with that result against Russia," he added.

"If you keep defending for so long, then the other team are definitely going to create chances and that's what happened. I could see it coming.

"If they keep defending in their own 18-yard box then teams like Russia can destroy you."

But Gascoigne is not sure whether Steve McClaren should be forced to step down as England boss if the team fails to qualify because he has built a strong camaraderie within the squad.

He said: "I remember watching England train when Sven-Goran Eriksson was manager and Steve McClaren took the training session and looked comfortable around them.

"The players seem to like him and he won't walk away from the job. I think he loves the job."

Will give the kids a big boost as well.

they need it looking at theyre past results

They're not that bad, if we played our strongest academy side every week we would do very well but most of the better players are playing reserve team football rather than academy games.

They're not that bad, if we played our strongest academy side every week we would do very well but most of the better players are playing reserve team football rather than academy games.

Exactly. Danquah, Donaldson and LuaLua are all eligible for U18 football still.

that just says something about our current reserve team doesn't it.

It just shows that we don't have a very big squad of full time professionals.

It just shows that we don't have a very big squad of full time professionals.

Babayaro and Carr will play their part in the coming months though. If they're lucky of course.

Guest Sniffer

Not at all.

He couldn't wait to get to Spurs and turn his back on the Toon.. Why doesn't he just fuck off and train with the baby yids instead of hanging around here like a rotten fart. The answer of course is they don't want a drunken has been around impressionable kids.

Not at all.

He couldn't wait to get to Spurs and turn his back on the Toon.. Why doesn't he just fuck off and train with the baby yids instead of hanging around here like a rotten fart. The answer of course is they don't want a drunken has been around impressionable kids.

I think you missed the joke mate.  :lol:

Wasnt that good to be fair.

Not at all.

I think you missed the joke mate.  :lol:

Wasnt that good to be fair.

:razz:

Should make for some entertaining headlines when he takes the Youth Team out on the razz to meet Jimmy Fivebellies. :D

Dentist's chair should be compulsory part of training, tbh.

Only met the bloke once. In a pub in the harbour and 5 Bellies was supping pints of wine!  :kasper:

I hated Gazza for years after that transfer. I remember him returning to SJP in that Spurs yellow kit, there was a a lot of hate in the ground that day but I am over that now.  I am glad the club are helping him get back on his feet & hopefully he is not just training with the kids but he is explaining the pitfalls of fame as well.

Is he still off the drink?

My old boy saw him totally plastered in the Marriot last year drinking treble brandies.

I hope the guy gets himself straightened out like but there's only so many chances a person can waste.

I'm waiting for the phrase "flawed genius" to be bandied about...

...in his case I think that term is wide of the mark. Pity, really...