England's World Cup bid, St James' and those stupid listed buildings.

danswan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Chris P

Sorry late as usual .Does anyone remember the corrugated iron west paddock, does anyone remember the uproar when the east paddock was built because leazes terrace would not get any sun light.

Well today leazes terrace must be the dullest street in the city.

There has always been an argument between the city council and the club   (who has the most power ,,recognition etc).    The only sensible thing  to do is literally demolish them brick by Georgian brick and move the lot else were.

Beamish maybe

Then and only then may the councillors of our fine city finally wake up and realise its 2007

You never know what could happen then , we may even become a modern city

Instead of harking on to a bygone era.

What I'm saying is that the council have been at continual logger heads with the club for years on this issue , its now a good time for all in question to sit down and finally decide what to do for the development of the city as a whole.

Am mean what the f*** are we famous for.

One of those things is NUFC

Image if the East Stand and the gallowgate were buliding like the Milburn and the Leazes end  :lol:

About 80,000 ? We would never fill it with the prices the way they are atm.

There are pictures out there of what it would look like if it was built up all of the way around.

EDIT -

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1300/gallowgateow8gw0.jpg

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/3971/sjp2010zm8.jpg

That was the stand that was most commonly used for admin. Reception, boardroom, changing rooms, boxes (as they were back then). Was comparable to our current East Stand in size. Maybe a little larger?

Image if the East Stand and the gallowgate were buliding like the Milburn and the Leazes end  :lol:

Well it would be around 60,000 with the Gallowgate expansion and the extended East Stand wouldn't hold 20,000. I guess we would be looking at around 74,000 at best, although I wouldn't want us to have a perfect bowl shape, we would soon get pretty bored of that.

Would prefer a unique and individualistic design for any expansion of the East Stand.

Image if the East Stand and the gallowgate were built like the Milburn and the Leazes end  :lol:

There are pictures out there of what it would look like if it was built up all of the way around.

EDIT -

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1300/gallowgateow8gw0.jpg

http://www.the-scum.freeserve.co.uk/ntlsports/sjp2010.jpg

I think it's perfect as it is, lop-sided and all.

I'm an outsider though.

It is, I like the uniqueness of it. I've never once thought it doesn't look like it should while it's looked like that.

Guest jimmy1982

Aye, it's a metaphor for the club as a whole - magnificent in its own unique way, despite being strange, crooked and unbalanced...

Was just thinking earlier, imagine if we're allowed to bring back standing... how good would the Leazes and Gallowgate be if they ripped out the seats and put terraces back in?! Even if it was just in the bottom two tiers it would be tremendous.

The ground is perfect as it is. On top of the hill, with the Leazes and Milburn over looking the whole city.

Another good point, I like that feature. It's pleasant to stare out if the game is shit. :)

The ground is perfect as it is. On top of the hill, with the Leazes and Milburn over looking the whole city.

Another good point, I like that feature. It's pleasant to stare out if the game is shit. :)

Went with an Arsenal supporter to the Arse match last season and he spent more time looking at the city than the match. That was a shit match, though.

The area around Pilgrim St- from the Fire Station round to the old bus depot, the NCP Car Park, Bank of England House and round again has been acquired by one developer- Multiplex I believe (though I  may be wrong). They will make a lot of money from the development IMO- well positioned and barely used at present- it's a complete shambles while the rest of the city has largely got itself in order.

As for Leazes terrace, a short-distance move would not be that expensive (in the grand scheme of things) provided that it is only the facade that is listed (like Monument Mall) and that none of the inner working are also considered to be of architectural merit. Long-distance moves are unfeasible. The only solution would be for the club to buy the majority of the properties adjacent to the ground- that WOULD cost a few bob.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2007/10/which_are_englands_best_ground_1.html

Possibly more a question for government/clever legal types

Everyone agrees that St James' will host games if we get the world cup. There will be FA and government funding available to improve stadia leading up to the tournament. What a great opportunity to complete the stadium and make it the best in the country, if it wasn't for those damn houses behind the east stand.

Is a listed building always listed? Are there any precedents for the de-listing of a building? Is it not possible to dismantle the buildings and resurrect them elsewhere? It is utterly ridiculous that a couple of student residences stop the whole of the city from getting what surely a large percentage of them want.

England WON'T get the WC - my money is on either Brazil or Australia in 2018.

Even if England DID get it, the record of Newcastle Council in helping NUFC is not exactly brilliant, is it ?

They dragged their feet over the Leazes Park project, which would have given us a bigger & better stadium than Man U at the time, and by doing so allowed the  Brains Dept(i.e., one John Prescott, better known as 'Chipolata' allegedly.!!)to stymie the whole thing.

It cost the club(and Ashley, in the end)millions by having to re-develop SJP into the lob-sided thing it is now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2007/10/which_are_englands_best_ground_1.html

Possibly more a question for government/clever legal types

Everyone agrees that St James' will host games if we get the world cup. There will be FA and government funding available to improve stadia leading up to the tournament. What a great opportunity to complete the stadium and make it the best in the country, if it wasn't for those damn houses behind the east stand.

Is a listed building always listed? Are there any precedents for the de-listing of a building? Is it not possible to dismantle the buildings and resurrect them elsewhere? It is utterly ridiculous that a couple of student residences stop the whole of the city from getting what surely a large percentage of them want.

Even if England DID get it, the record of Newcastle Council in helping NUFC is not exactly brilliant, is it ?

They dragged their feet over the Leazes Park project, which would have given us a bigger & better stadium than Man U at the time, and by doing so allowed the  Brains Dept(i.e., one John Prescott, better known as 'Chipolata' allegedly.!!)to stymie the whole thing.

It cost the club(and Ashley, in the end)millions by having to re-develop SJP into the lob-sided thing it is now.

brazil to have two successive world cups? australia have an outside chance, but their stadiums suffer from not being specifically designed for football, whereas england is in a better location in europe and may have uefa's block vote which would make it favourite. i think China will prove to be biggest rivals but i'm not sure fifa will want 3 successive world cups outside of europe.

Based on? Australia hasn't got the stadiums in enough cities to host a world cup, football and rugby aren't popular enough to warrant 40,000 seater stadiums being built and i can't see FIFA allowing them to use 6 or 7 ovals.

Brazil.. well i don't need to say why they won't get it.

IF we need to extend the stand then the cost of moving Leazes Terrace would be washers in comparison - they moved whole streets to Beamish without it costing the earth

And if teh club are going to see more ££££££££££££££££  then its only fair they pay for it all.........