England's World Cup bid, St James' and those stupid listed buildings.

danswan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

England WON'T get the WC - my money is on either Brazil or Australia in 2018.

Based on? Australia hasn't got the stadiums in enough cities to host a world cup, football and rugby aren't popular enough to warrant 40,000 seater stadiums being built and i can't see FIFA allowing them to use 6 or 7 ovals.

Brazil.. well i don't need to say why they won't get it.

Aye, can't see Brazil getting it in 2018 like ;)

As we have seen with the warehouses that were opposite the Copthorne Hotel, if the first arsonist/developers fire don't work, then torch it again until is unstable & looses it listed building status. Same mystery fires happened to the listed building  that was up the bank from Newcastle-Gateshead Hilton. 

As we have seen with the warehouses that were opposite the Copthorne Hotel, if the first arsonist/developers fire don't work, then torch it again until is unstable & looses it listed building status. Same mystery fires happened to the listed building  that was up the bank from Newcastle-Gateshead Hilton. 

Aye, this is a bit different though - those were empty buildings and I can't see someone involved with the club getting away with murdering loads of people, can you?

BUILD BUILD BUILD!!

Can't we just buy the building and build it into the new stand as offices?, surely there is enough room to build out up and over it. Its a nightmare not being able to make the eats stand bigger just because of a listed building, was there not a plan to add more seats on the Gallowgate end though anyway ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2007/10/which_are_englands_best_ground_1.html

Possibly more a question for government/clever legal types

Everyone agrees that St James' will host games if we get the world cup. There will be FA and government funding available to improve stadia leading up to the tournament. What a great opportunity to complete the stadium and make it the best in the country, if it wasn't for those damn houses behind the east stand.

Is a listed building always listed? Are there any precedents for the de-listing of a building? Is it not possible to dismantle the buildings and resurrect them elsewhere? It is utterly ridiculous that a couple of student residences stop the whole of the city from getting what surely a large percentage of them want.

Even if England DID get it, the record of Newcastle Council in helping NUFC is not exactly brilliant, is it ?

They dragged their feet over the Leazes Park project, which would have given us a bigger & better stadium than Man U at the time, and by doing so allowed the  Brains Dept(i.e., one John Prescott, better known as 'Chipolata' allegedly.!!)to stymie the whole thing.

It cost the club(and Ashley, in the end)millions by having to re-develop SJP into the lob-sided thing it is now.

Sorry about that guys - I actually meant to put China & Australia, NOT Brazil(always think about Brazil when the WCs mentioned..!!).

As for gggg's comments about Australia - you're wrong.

Apart from the Olympic Stadium(built, may I remind you, ON TIME and to BUDGET, unlike Wembley!), there is the Aussie Stadium in Sydney, and the MCG and Telstra Dome in Melbourne...these all have capacity well above 40,000..

You will find that the other cities would have stadiums either re-modelled or newly-built to accommodate the WC if awarded - they don't hang around over here if things like that are on the table and FOOTBALL is a rapidly-growing sport among youngsters.

This is a wealthy country whose Economy is growing at twice the rate of the UK - also Blatter has let it be known that he would support an Aussie bid as it would encourage the sport in this country.

I notice that Hiddink wasn't in a great hurry to take the England job after he had finished his contract with Australia.....

And that building on Westgate Road, I believe.

And that building on Westgate Road, I believe.

they were eyesores and empty though.

Guest lovemoose

The same thing's just happened here in Walsall; actually, it's happened twice in the past three years in one area, with listed buildings involved both times. Both buildings were in the town centre, surrounded by cctv, and the arsonists still went ahead despite there being hundreds of buildings round here that would be easier to torch without the risk. Can't imagine it happening with residential places though.

Leazes Terrace is one of the cities most beautiful streets, and there's no way they would be allowed to move them to expand SJP.

I wouldn't be in favour of that at all, we need to remember the club's links and roots in the city - we wouldn't serve those by trying to demolish one of the town's best assets.

And I really can't see Mike Ashley telling his thugs to set fire to a street full of inhabited flats!

Guest jimmy1982

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2007/10/which_are_englands_best_ground_1.html

Possibly more a question for government/clever legal types

Everyone agrees that St James' will host games if we get the world cup. There will be FA and government funding available to improve stadia leading up to the tournament. What a great opportunity to complete the stadium and make it the best in the country, if it wasn't for those damn houses behind the east stand.

Is a listed building always listed? Are there any precedents for the de-listing of a building? Is it not possible to dismantle the buildings and resurrect them elsewhere? It is utterly ridiculous that a couple of student residences stop the whole of the city from getting what surely a large percentage of them want.

Even if England DID get it, the record of Newcastle Council in helping NUFC is not exactly brilliant, is it ?

They dragged their feet over the Leazes Park project, which would have given us a bigger & better stadium than Man U at the time, and by doing so allowed the  Brains Dept(i.e., one John Prescott, better known as 'Chipolata' allegedly.!!)to stymie the whole thing.

It cost the club(and Ashley, in the end)millions by having to re-develop SJP into the lob-sided thing it is now.

Sorry about that guys - I actually meant to put China & Australia, NOT Brazil(always think about Brazil when the WCs mentioned..!!).

As for gggg's comments about Australia - you're wrong.

Apart from the Olympic Stadium(built, may I remind you, ON TIME and to BUDGET, unlike Wembley!), there is the Aussie Stadium in Sydney, and the MCG and Telstra Dome in Melbourne...these all have capacity well above 40,000..

You will find that the other cities would have stadiums either re-modelled or newly-built to accommodate the WC if awarded - they don't hang around over here if things like that are on the table and FOOTBALL is a rapidly-growing sport among youngsters.

This is a wealthy country whose Economy is growing at twice the rate of the UK - also Blatter has let it be known that he would support an Aussie bid as it would encourage the sport in this country.

I notice that Hiddink wasn't in a great hurry to take the England job after he had finished his contract with Australia.....

I would think the rugby league clubs in Oz would be enthusiastic about the prospect of new football-style grounds being built and I'd imagine they'd readily get involved with it.

Although it isn't a massive sport in Australia compared to other team sports you just have to look at the crowd at the MCG for the World Cup play-off to know just how much they'd get behind it. The Sydney Olympics and the 2003 Rugby World Cup were excellent too. I think it would be a great place to have the tournament.

Leazes Terrace is one of the cities most beautiful streets, and there's no way they would be allowed to move them to expand SJP.

I wouldn't be in favour of that at all, we need to remember the club's links and roots in the city - we wouldn't serve those by trying to demolish one of the town's best assets.

And I really can't see Mike Ashley telling his thugs to set fire to a street full of inhabited flats!

It's just an old terrace - quite reasonable and its a pity so many were done away with building "the venice of the North" but you could move it a few hundred metres and no-one would be any the wiser

It'd cost more than sixteen pounds Rob.

thats the point tho - they moved a load of buildings to Beamish and it didn't cost zillions - a few hundred metres would be equivalent to our age bill for a coupel of days.......  hold on ..... that IS zillions

Merlin, do remember, it was the Australians who built the new Wembley.

Correction, Chez, it was an Australian COMPANY(Multiplex) - the problems were caused by;

1.Constant requests for changes in design etc by the stadium owners

2.Problems with the workforce - initially, Cleveland Bridge workers went on strike.

There were no problems building the Olympic Stadium in Sydney and as I said, it was finished On TIME & ON BUDGET...wonder why !!??

We had a house built here during 2006 and despite a housing/construction boom in the area(nr Perth) at the time, it was done on the button and with no problems - we didn't even find any cracks after 6 months, so the quality of build is generally good and fast.

Guest justin99.

We had a house built here during 2006 and despite a housing/construction boom in the area(nr Perth) at the time, it was done on the button and with no problems - we didn't even find any cracks after 6 months, so the quality of build is generally good and fast.

That's quite irrelevant don't you think?

As mentioned, Australia would be a perfect WC candidate.

World class stadiums in: Brisbane: Suncorp Stadium 50k, Sydney: Telstra Stadium 80k, Melbourne with MCG: 100k  Telstra Dome 55k and soon to be built Rectangular stadium with capacity upgradable to 50k, also a planned stadium in Perth with capacity of 70k.

Merlin, do remember, it was the Australians who built the new Wembley.

They drew pictures but it was Eastern Europeans who built it.

Sorry but Project Management has fuck all to do with the labourers and everything to do with the project managers. The company is Australian. The head of the company is responsible for delivery of the project, especially one of this size, which is why the company suffered financial penalties not the workers.

If you want evidence of the Australian's ability to organise stadium development then Wembley is a perfectly good example.

They drew the pictures  :lol: :rolleyes:

On another note, would their cricket grounds be the right shape for football matches?

Sorry but Project Management has f*** all to do with the labourers and everything to do with the project managers. The company is Australian. The head of the company is responsible for delivery of the project, especially one of this size, which is why the company suffered financial penalties not the workers.

If you want evidence of the Australian's ability to organise stadium development then Wembley is a perfectly good example.

They drew the pictures  :lol: :rolleyes:

On another note, would their cricket grounds be the right shape for football matches?

Are you a PM? I was aware of Multiplex, it was just a bit of banter man.

I do find it strange we/the UK look elsewhere for design when we have Norman Foster (Foster and partners) who to me seems the leading design person in the world.

Most the Australian grounds listed host Rugby. I dont think the MCG does though.