Most disappointing match you've ever attended?

NSG

Has to be the 2-0 playoff defeat at home to Sunderland in 1990. Devastated and as low as I've ever felt as a Newcastle supporter. Mind, the loss to Partizan Belgrade on pens, in the CL qualifier doesn't come far behind.

that and the loss at home to Wimbledon in ythe FA Cup in 88. Gazza and the kids shoudl have wont he Cup that year

Another bad one was Brighton at home in the FA Cup, I think that was the game that we should have won but the ref' had other ideas, it was either Michael Peck or Trelford Mills, these two must be the two worst ref's ever for us.

Trelford Mills was the ref for that game. He was abysmal.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Wigan away in the Carling Cup afew years back.

Now that one sticks in my memory, freezing cold night, icy terrace, seats covered in shite and i almost forgot it was against Wigan reserves

Newcastle 0-1 Man Utd ('96)

I realised that night that we werent going to win the Premiership..... the Premiership for fucks sake... more depressing now to think that we will never win it in my lifetime and that game signalled the day that the chance was gone.

didnt attend but the Liverpool game weeks later but it still makes me want to cry, even now. Its just makes me feel empty inside.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Apart from the disappointing run in to the Premiereship blowing season where I never missed a game, 2 others stand out.

Losing at Walsall in the FA Cup in the mid 70's was really bad. We lost to a crap team , on a crap pitch (mudbath) and in a crap ground. I recal leaving the ground via the best route after the game. We clamboured over a railway track on one side of the ground and I thought, how low have we sunk.

Then there was the 76 League Cup Final, when the team, weakened by flu, put up a decent performance against Man City only to lose, as so often has been the case, to a wonder goal. The lap of honour by a worn out and very ill team, I found so very sad and knew it was the end of an era.

Newcastle 0-1 Man Utd ('96)

I realised that night that we werent going to win the Premiership..... the Premiership for fucks sake... more depressing now to think that we will never win it in my lifetime and that game signalled the day that the chance was gone.

didnt attend but the Liverpool game weeks later but it still makes me want to cry, even now. Its just makes me feel empty inside.

Yes - spot Robster. I agree, I knew when Cantona sneaked that goal at the Gallowgate end we were stuffed ; the team had played them off the park in the first half, they hardly got a kick - a half-time of 3-0 wouldn't have been out of place.

You just knew that goal, coming against the run of play, would give Man U hope for the rest of the season and that it would deflate both NUFC and the fans - doubts started to creep in and we were never to be so convincing again that season.

We might have stuffed them 5-0 next season, but it really meant nothing compared to what even a 1-0 win in March 96 would have given us.

Guest derek sausage

>:(

As someone has already said, "what a truly depressing thread". I see some other poor fellows remember Exeter 0-4 in 1981.

I travelled on the supporters club bus, all day , alcohol free to make it worse . Surely we couldn't lose. Probably my worst ever ,although some recent displays have not been far away.

Also recall the bus breaking down on the way haome and just getting back in time for work in the morning.

Anyone else recall losing 5-2 at home to Spurs in 74-5 ?

As someone has already said, "what a truly depressing thread". I see some other poor fellows remember Exeter 0-4 in 1981.

I travelled on the supporters club bus, all day , alcohol free to make it worse . Surely we couldn't lose. Probably my worst ever ,although some recent displays have not been far away.

Also recall the bus breaking down on the way haome and just getting back in time for work in the morning.

yeah but we stuffed them !! Spurs only had 4 shots, one of their goals was a cross McFaul chucked in

I once saw us lose an end of season game 4-2 on a Tuesday evening at Wrexham. That was pretty hard to be happy about

Guest derek sausage

yeah but we stuffed them !! Spurs only had 4 shots, one of their goals was a cross McFaul chucked in

Still made it a tad disappointing. Seem to remember the ball rolling up Mcfauls arms and over his shoulder.

Probably 0-1 v Man U in 96 and the two recent mackem defeats at SJP.  Also the charity shield game hurt a lot at the time as I was fairly young and it was my first time at Wembley, remember there was only about 20'000 Mancs and Beckham chipped Pav from range.  Also the Spurs defeat in our first premier league game and the Grimbsby game with ended the winning run in 92 were traumatic childhood games.

Yes, I was at that Spurs game - it was during a period when they seemed to have the 'Indian Sign' on us -

we seemed to lose every home game against them. In this match, we actually played well - Pat Jennings saved their bacon numerous times but every time they broke away, they scored..!!

They had a Scottish striker, Alfie Conn, who got a hat-trick I believe - we had Tommy Craig making his home debut, and he scored a cracker near the end, but it was only a consolation..

Even their manager(he was an Ulsterman, a former Arsenal defender, but I can't remember his name) said afterwards that he couldn't understand how the scoreline came about...!!

I was disappointed, but it was only 'one of those games' - nothing like as important as the Man U one in March 96...

It's a tough choice but a few stand out:

Sunderland 0-1 Southampton 96/97.

We played 4-5-1 in a must win game at home, Southampton hardly had to break sweat after taking the lead.  Terrible.

Sunderland 0-1 Millwall FA Cup Semi 03/04

Tim Cahill, what a twat.  The best draw possible.  A fellow Championship side.  90 minutes from an FA Cup Final apperance and European football at the SoL.  What happens?  We gift Millwall the only goal of the game, don't play well McAteer gets sent off, and McCartney misses an absolute sitter from about 5 yards late on.  Gutted, I don't think Sunderland will get closer to an FA Cup Final for a while yet.

Sunderland 0-1 Everton 05/06

Tim Cahill, what a twat (again).  Being honest, this game was only dissapointing due to the result.  We outplayed Everton and had many chances to win the game, yet as per that season failed to score.  And then Cahill pops up in injury time to score the winner.  In a game against a relegation rival (at the time) it was a sucker punch.  I think Everton went on a long unbeaten run following that game.

Sunderland 1-4 Newcastle 05/06

Jammy sods.  Nowt else to say being honest, just can't believe we lost that game let alone by that score.

Yes. Was at Exeter and in the Leazes End (the REAL Leazes End that is) for the Spurs game. Recall someone starting a fire ?? in the "new" East stand.

That game was one of those freak results that sometimes happen - unlike Saturday where Pompey played us off the park and deserved their 4-1

1986 League Cup semi final away leg at Oxford United.

2000 FA Cup final

Not a match I was at, but listening to the radio in 1993 as Man United got a fucking incredible *7 minutes* added time against Sheffield Wednesday and Steve Bruce (of all fucking people) scored twice, and realising that we weren't going to win the league.

It still makes me sick thinking about it now.

We played 4-5-1 in a must win game at home, Southampton hardly had to break sweat after taking the lead.  Terrible.

Tim Cahill, what a t***.  The best draw possible.  A fellow Championship side.  90 minutes from an FA Cup Final apperance and European football at the SoL.  What happens?  We gift Millwall the only goal of the game, don't play well McAteer gets sent off, and McCartney misses an absolute sitter from about 5 yards late on.  Gutted, I don't think Sunderland will get closer to an FA Cup Final for a while yet.

Tim Cahill, what a t*** (again).  Being honest, this game was only dissapointing due to the result.  We outplayed Everton and had many chances to win the game, yet as per that season failed to score.  And then Cahill pops up in injury time to score the winner.  In a game against a relegation rival (at the time) it was a sucker punch.  I think Everton went on a long unbeaten run following that game.

Jammy sods.  Nowt else to say being honest, just can't believe we lost that game let alone by that score.

Can't understand how that can be the most disappointing - you'd already been down for months. I thought the glee when you scored against us in that game was quite funny - the worst team the top division has ever seen and you lot were celebrating like you'd won the league just because you scored against Newcastle.

To some of you the highlight of your miserable season was seeing Shearer limp off in that game. Sad.

Tim Cahill, what a t***.  The best draw possible.  A fellow Championship side.  90 minutes from an FA Cup Final apperance and European football at the SoL.  What happens?  We gift Millwall the only goal of the game, don't play well McAteer gets sent off, and McCartney misses an absolute sitter from about 5 yards late on.  Gutted, I don't think Sunderland will get closer to an FA Cup Final for a while yet.

Tim Cahill, what a t*** (again).  Being honest, this game was only dissapointing due to the result.  We outplayed Everton and had many chances to win the game, yet as per that season failed to score.  And then Cahill pops up in injury time to score the winner.  In a game against a relegation rival (at the time) it was a sucker punch.  I think Everton went on a long unbeaten run following that game.

Can't understand how that can be the most disappointing - you'd already been down for months. I thought the glee when you scored against us in that game was quite funny - the worst team the top division has ever seen and you lot were celebrating like you'd won the league just because you scored against Newcastle.

To some of you the highlight of your miserable season was seeing Shearer limp off in that game. Sad.

Yes, and unfortunatley from around January, that game was our season. 1 game to at least have something to hit back with when Newcastle fans ripped the piss out of our woeful season, 1 game to at least look back on with a little bit a pride. And after the first half we looked like we were going to get it.  And then to capitulate like we did in a local derby was gutting, especially considering we weren't often in trouble till Chopra came on.  Extremely sad I know, but that sums up how bad that season was.  And as for Shearer, I was non-plussed by his injury. His last ever goal, a penalty against Sunderland.  Don't think he could have asked for anything more. 

re Sunderland, I was in their end at the 1990 play off final against Swindon Town. That must be one of the most depressing matches ever for mackems.

Was only 1, but I am informed that it was a truly dismal performance.  The Sunderland way that though, blow it when you have a chance of a bit of glory.

I was actually in a strange way happy shearer got injured, and could never understand the mackems trying to take something from it.  What a perfect end.  I mean could you possibly think of a better last game for him.  A goal, a penalty, away at a record-breakingly bad sunderland (revenge for the other pen) in a big win, that set us up for the UEFA cup.  At the newcastle end.