The Roeder Question.

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

Fact is, there are some fans who think that any player or manager who represents the club automatically deserves support for a given amount of time. This is why some people were saying we should give Souness iuntil the end of last season, and beyond. They were wrong.

People were saying Souness needed time and money because he did, all managers do, we knew he wasn't going to get sacked or would be able to do anything without some money so what did you expect people's reactions to be to his appointment which BTW I can't remember one single person on or offline being happy with?

I doubt anyone was happy with being forced into saying he needs money and time, I know I wasn't because I knew it would all end in tears the day he was appointed because he was shit and proved that, but when your club makes an appointment you can do two things, accept it and hope for the best or withdraw your support.

Just because some fans didn't prefer to piss and moan at every turn doesn't mean they are responsible for Souness just like some preferring to piss and moan at every turn didn't undermine him or make his job harder.

Don't blame fans for Souness, blame who appointed him and the man himself for failing, not to mention his players.

BTW when it looked like we were going to sack Souness many predicted today's state of affairs, i.e. that Souness wasn't the main problem and that just with his sacking, those problems would go away, which many people thought would happen.

I maintained all along that getting rid of Souness would just be akin to a token gesture. Read the "are we better off today than under Souness thread". In some ways we are but in some we aren't and in many ways things just haven't changed.

FWIW I absolve Roeder of any blame for the state of affairs, he is way out of his depth and I pretty much expected things to turn sour following his appointment because he's an average manager, some would say shite, and our performances and points tally reflect this fact so if anything, he's doing the job his ability allows him to do, i.e. not an awful lot.

I just hope fans don't turn on what is essentially a good man who for what he did last season, deserves our forgiveness for any shite performance or poor league finish that comes our way.

As with Souness, Roeder isn't the problem. There is a malaise at the club that has slowly built up at the club since KK left and the change of ownership took effect/or control and we are now feeling the full effect of this cancer.

That bit applied to Souness and all.

It did but he took over a 5th placed team, had 50m to spend and had at least proved in the past he could win trophies or fluke a few good league placings as he did at Blackburn, in comparison Roeder has zero experience and no previous record and has been left his and the board's mess, and been told to get us back into the top 6 with that mess but with no real money and no real support in the transfer market to work around it, all while being an average manager, basically he has an impossible job to do and is on a hiding to nothing as he doesn't have the right tools himself and the ones the club have given him are broken. Anything above 10th this season will be a bonus in my eyes just like the salvage job he did last season in taking us to 7th was a bonus following Souness' mess.

I just can't bring myself to be too hard on Roeder even though at times I want to because some of our woes are self inflicted and obvious to even an untrained eye. I can't have a go at him for not doing things I expect him not to be capable of doing in the first place however.

I had hoped of course following his appointment that he'd carry on in some way the fine form we finished the season on and I had hoped that this being his big chanced, he'd rise to it and prove doubters wrong but I guess you really can't polish a turd no matter how hard your try or want to.

I respect Roeder for what he did for us and will always respect and appreciate someone who gives it their all and tries and tries to fix things which, at pitch level, Roeder is at least trying to do. With Souness, especially towards the end you got the feeling he just sent the team out onto the pitch without any real preparation or thought and that he didn't really care or try enough to save his job, in the end his payoff was a bigger carrot than winning.

Roeder has also lost Shearer and Owen, his assistant manager, his reserve team coach and has in many ways, had some rotten luck and that's not a Souness type excuse, Souness created his own rotten luck and no manager who had 50m to spend on a 5th placed team has a right to blame luck no matter how bad, Roeder can be excused on that front, for the time being at least anyway.

Guest Knightrider

We have played 2 out of the hardest 4 games, and its early days.

However - not many things piss me off more than a negative attitude, and/or a negative approach.

And thats what we got yesterday.

Aye that pissed me off but I could see some method to his madness and give me a manager who tries to address a problem using a different method than someone who doesn't try or who ignores it, even if as it transpired at Old Trafford, it failed.

You could see what his plan was, to frustrate them for 60-70 minutes, make them tired and then to exploit that with Martins and N'Zogbia's pace in the latter stages in the hope of nicking a win. I think he actually went there with a game plan to win believe it or not in a round about way, our only problem was or rather his was that once they took they lead we had no plan B and that rather than his opening tactics is what killed us in my opinion. That and our lack of quality and big stage fright.

Then again maybe I'm being too kind and reading things wrong.

Fact is, there are some fans who think that any player or manager who represents the club automatically deserves support for a given amount of time. This is why some people were saying we should give Souness iuntil the end of last season, and beyond. They were wrong.

People were saying Souness needed time and money because he did, all managers do, we knew he wasn't going to get sacked or would be able to do anything without some money so what did you expect people's reactions to be to his appointment which BTW I can't remember one single person on or offline being happy with?

I doubt anyone was happy with being forced into saying he needs money and time, I know I wasn't because I knew it would all end in tears the day he was appointed because he was shit and proved that, but when your club makes an appointment you can do two things, accept it and hope for the best or withdraw your support.

Just because some fans didn't prefer to piss and moan at every turn doesn't mean they are responsible for Souness just like some preferring to piss and moan at every turn didn't undermine him or make his job harder.

Don't blame fans for Souness, blame who appointed him and the man himself for failing, not to mention his players.

BTW when it looked like we were going to sack Souness many predicted today's state of affairs, i.e. that Souness wasn't the main problem and that just with his sacking, those problems would go away, which many people thought would happen.

I maintained all along that getting rid of Souness would just be akin to a token gesture. Read the "are we better off today than under Souness thread". In some ways we are but in some we aren't and in many ways things just haven't changed.

FWIW I absolve Roeder of any blame for the state of affairs, he is way out of his depth and I pretty much expected things to turn sour following his appointment because he's an average manager, some would say shite, and our performances and points tally reflect this fact so if anything, he's doing the job his ability allows him to do, i.e. not an awful lot.

I just hope fans don't turn on what is essentially a good man who for what he did last season, deserves our forgiveness for any shite performance or poor league finish that comes our way.

As with Souness, Roeder isn't the problem. There is a malaise at the club that has slowly built up at the club since KK left and the change of ownership took effect/or control and we are now feeling the full effect of this cancer.

It did but he took over a 5th placed team, had 50m to spend and had at least proved in the past he could win trophies or fluke a few good league placings as he did at Blackburn, in comparison Roeder has zero experience and no previous record and has been left his and the board's mess, and been told to get us back into the top 6 with that mess but with no real money and no real support in the transfer market to work around it, all while being an average manager, basically he has an impossible job to do and is on a hiding to nothing as he doesn't have the right tools himself and the ones the club have given him are broken. Anything above 10th this season will be a bonus in my eyes just like the salvage job he did last season in taking us to 7th was a bonus following Souness' mess.

I just can't bring myself to be too hard on Roeder even though at times I want to because some of our woes are self inflicted and obvious to even an untrained eye. I can't have a go at him for not doing things I expect him not to be capable of doing in the first place however.

I had hoped of course following his appointment that he'd carry on in some way the fine form we finished the season on and I had hoped that this being his big chanced, he'd rise to it and prove doubters wrong but I guess you really can't polish a turd no matter how hard your try or want to.

I respect Roeder for what he did for us and will always respect and appreciate someone who gives it their all and tries and tries to fix things which, at pitch level, Roeder is at least trying to do. With Souness, especially towards the end you got the feeling he just sent the team out onto the pitch without any real preparation or thought and that he didn't really care or try enough to save his job, in the end his payoff was a bigger carrot than winning.

Roeder has also lost Shearer and Owen, his assistant manager, his reserve team coach and has in many ways, had some rotten luck and that's not a Souness type excuse, Souness created his own rotten luck and no manager who had 50m to spend on a 5th placed team has a right to blame luck no matter how bad, Roeder can be excused on that front, for the time being at least anyway.

Pretty much agree with all of that.

Most people who saw Roeder remember him as a committed player, and a popular one. That isn't influencing my view, I obviously hope he succeeds, but you have to see that he has a very difficult job on his hands, and needs support.

Getting his first signings right is imperative if he is to buy himself time, he badly needs Martins to be a success. Although, as I said earlier, I really don't care who Newcatle play, a negative attitude is never good enough, you won't win games setting out to hold the opposition, he should have played Martins on the back of scoring his 2 goals in midweek, he must have been gutted to have been told he was sitting on the bench. How can you win games if you drop the player who is on a high after scoring a couple of goals and replacing him with another midfield player and only one player up front on his own ?

Guest Knightrider

Pretty much agree with all of that.

Most people who saw Roeder remember him as a committed player, and a popular one. That isn't influencing my view, I obviously hope he succeeds, but you have to see that he has a very difficult job on his hands, and needs support.

Getting his first signings right is imperative if he is to buy himself time, he badly needs Martins to be a success. Although, as I said earlier, I really don't care who Newcatle play, a negative attitude is never good enough, you won't win games setting out to hold the opposition, he should have played Martins on the back of scoring his 2 goals in midweek, he must have been gutted to have been told he was sitting on the bench. How can you win games if you drop the player who is on a high after scoring a couple of goals and replacing him with another midfield player and only one player up front on his own ?

I forgot Martins had scored twice in midweek so I guess that was bad man management on Roeder's part, to curtail a player chomping at the bit. Looking positively at it, at least that shows balls as not many would have dropped him and I think it also shows that Roeder puts the team ahead of the individual which is something Souness never did, regardless of form if he liked you you were in.

Straw clutching I know but I'm just trying to not get too bogged down in the stark reality that he is clueless.

Guest Knightrider

I never insult people who write long things for me to read. Respect. blueyes.gif

And respect for you for reading my long winded waffle, no really. I always thought you were crazy like ;)

''...he should have played Martins on the back of scoring his 2 goals in midweek, he must have been gutted to have been told he was sitting on the bench. How can you win games if you drop the player who is on a high after scoring a couple of goals and replacing him with another midfield player and only one player up front on his own ?'' NE5

Exactly.

I was shouted down on another board for saying the same...Apparently Shola is much better at the lone striker role.

What bollocks. bluelaugh.gif

If you give £50m to a fool he'll waste it, but you can't blame him, that's what fools do. Blame yourself, you knew he was a fool - or at least you should have, only a fool woudn't have known - and you still gave him the money. I think we all know who "you" is here.

Everyone knew Souness wasn't up to the job, everyone except Fred that is, I think even Souness realised it wasn't going to work out pretty quickly and that's why he gave up, but he was too proud to admit it. Fred was the one who was flogging a dead horse, by giving Souness all that money to waste, again you can't really blame Souness for spending it, that's what managers do, good ones spend it wisely, bad ones don't.

Guest Knightrider

If you give £50m to a fool he'll waste it, but you can't blame him, that's what fools do. Blame yourself, you knew he was a fool - or at least you should have, only a fool woudn't have known - and you still gave him the money. I think we all know who "you" is here.

Everyone knew Souness wasn't up to the job, everyone except Fred that is, I think even Souness realised it wasn't going to work out pretty quickly and that's why he gave up, but he was too proud to admit it. Fred was the one who was flogging a dead horse, by giving Souness all that money to waste, again you can't really blame Souness for spending it, that's what managers do, good ones spend it wisely, bad ones don't.

Actually Indigo, I agree, and if you remember I gave Souness a fair bit of time or benefit of the doubt because of him being shite and the whole "he's shite, so what do we expect" etc. argument. I turned on him when he started blaming defeats on not having his proper players to pick because they were out injured and I blame that type of negative mentality on many of our defeats because it was clear to me the more he spoke like that, i.e. basically saying the team he was sending out without his proper players was shite and not good enough, the more they were gonna resent that and stop playing for him. And that's what happened.

If Roeder started doing the same I'd turn on him and blame him for any susbequent defeats and while he has bemoaned the squad depth and injuries to key players he isn't doing a Souness and I doubt he would do that because I think he knows what adverse effect that would have on the players.

You never heard Souness praising players who weren't his proper players, where as Roeder is probably too overpraising and protective.

My 50m remark is all about Souness and his excuses, he blamed luck and injuries yet he had 50m to spend on players, something Roeder could only ever dream about.

Back to Roeder...

We are losing points due to our inability to defend as a team which impacts our ability to score goals because we are often on the backfoot or cagey going forward in fear of leaking a goal, or so shite this forces the manager to tinker (Old Trafford), the more mistakes we create at the wrong end the larger the problem becomes. He needs to fix that or stem that ASAP. If he can do that and change a few things going the otherway, with a bit of luck we can start climbing. In our favour, we are not the only inconsistent side in this league and there are many average sides around us, even those closer to the top.

But time is running out, we need to start getting some points on the board to put distance between us and the bottom and to make sure those ahead of us aren't doing the same to us.

At the moment I'm 40-60 against as to whether we can do that. I was hoping we'd learn a few positive things about our team and manager at OT hence my "big test" thread, sadly more questions came out of that game than answers.

We need a break I know that, and not an international one, we need a good win, to score a few goals and to keep a clean sheet. We need Duff to sparkle, someone in defence to have a good game, Martins to continue scoring, we need Milner and Emre to start creating.

Guest Knightrider

I voted "At the very least he deserves one full season as long as there is no relegation worries."

I would add however: "At the very least he deserves one full season as long as there is no relegation worries, and we can see some clear signs of improvements as the season progresses in part (i.e. areas of the pitch) or in full. But should that not be forthcoming lets not be too harsh on the man, look towards those who appointed him first for answers."

Actually Indigo, I agree, and if you remember I gave Souness a fair bit of time or benefit of the doubt because of him being shite and the whole "he's shite, so what do we expect" etc. argument. I turned on him when he started blaming defeats on not having his proper players to pick because they were out injured and I blame that type of negative mentality on many of our defeats because it was clear to me the more he spoke like that, i.e. basically saying the team he was sending out without his proper players was shite and not good enough, the more they were gonna resent that and stop playing for him. And that's what happened.

If Roeder started doing the same I'd turn on him and blame him for any susbequent defeats and while he has bemoaned the squad depth and injuries to key players he isn't doing a Souness and I doubt he would do that because I think he knows what adverse effect that would have on the players.

You never heard Souness praising players who weren't his proper players, where as Roeder is probably too overpraising and protective.

My 50m remark is all about Souness and his excuses, he blamed luck and injuries yet he had 50m to spend on players, something Roeder could only ever dream about.

Back to Roeder...

We are losing points due to our inability to defend as a team which impacts our ability to score goals because we are often on the backfoot or cagey going forward in fear of leaking a goal, or so shite this forces the manager to tinker (Old Trafford), the more mistakes we create at the wrong end the larger the problem becomes. He needs to fix that or stem that ASAP. If he can do that and change a few things going the otherway, with a bit of luck we can start climbing. In our favour, we are not the only inconsistent side in this league and there are many average sides around us, even those closer to the top.

But time is running out, we need to start getting some points on the board to put distance between us and the bottom and to make sure those ahead of us aren't doing the same to us.

At the moment I'm 40-60 against as to whether we can do that. I was hoping we'd learn a few positive things about our team and manager at OT hence my "big test" thread, sadly more questions came out of that game than answers.

We need a break I know that, and not an international one, we need a good win, to score a few goals and to keep a clean sheet. We need Duff to sparkle, someone in defence to have a good game, Martins to continue scoring, we need Milner and Emre to start creating.

I do remember and I agreed with you, as I do with the rest of what you've said here.

Let's try and keep it simple, he needed to by 2 defenders he didn't. The buck stops with him.

Parky you are bang on the money.When the whole world can see we have had maybe 2 decent defenders since promotion,i.e. Woodgate and Albert,why did we sign 3 attacking players pre transfer window?Hes also made our defence weaker by giving Scotty a more advanced role thus depriving our back 4 of any protection and that is why we are leaking silly goals now,because the back 4 have more responsibility now.

Guest puretoon

If Roeder had bought properly on the transfer market i.e. defenders, we probably wouldn't be in the state we're in now. 

To say that Sol Cambell is too old when we're desperate for defenders,  then bring in yet another midfielder who's only a couple of year younger doesn't make sense.

I know Sibby's an unknown but has, to be honest, tried his best, but he wasn't the answer.

And for Roeder to say today that the reason he played 4-5-1 was because Arsenal won with that formation beggers belief! we are NOT Arsenal and, in all probablity, will never be as good as them. Ameobe v Henry!?!?? you can not play Ameobe up there on his own at any time. He's potential crap and will never be any better. I just wished I knew what hold Ameobe has over this club as each consecutive manager has liked him. He, with the other 9 men (leaving Harper out) were shocking and shouldn't be wearing the toon strip.

Roeder should have left Ameoeb out completely and used Martins and Zog from the start.

Yes, the blame has to fall on fat Shepherd as he's the one appointing these managers and holds the purse strings. He also doesn't know a thing about football either or he wouldn't have had the managers we've had.

FS also claimed he's from Walker when infact he isn't-he's Cumbrian, so what else has he lied about? the fat git.

I'm not sure if GR should stay after yesterdays team selection, formation and shocking performance. And I'm not blaming just one off game either-his cv isn't that good nor does he seem to have a clue on the transfer market.

GR was nice and handy for Shepherd to keep-as someone has already said, a 'Yes man'.

Oh how I wish I could write something positive!

''..you can not play Ameobe up there on his own at any time. He's potential crap and will never be any better. I just wished I knew what hold Ameobe has over this club as each consecutive manager has liked him.'' PURETOON

To my mind one of the golden rules always has been: DON'T drop a striker who's scoring for fun.

Oba's pace alone should have given him the shirt over Shola.

Poor descision imo.

Let's try and keep it simple, he needed to by 2 defenders he didn't. The buck stops with him.

Parky you are bang on the money.When the whole world can see we have had maybe 2 decent defenders since promotion,i.e. Woodgate and Albert,why did we sign 3 attacking players pre transfer window?Hes also made our defence weaker by giving Scotty a more advanced role thus depriving our back 4 of any protection and that is why we are leaking silly goals now,because the back 4 have more responsibility now.

we have had more than 2 decent defenders since promotion .....

For starters, Howey was a better defender than Albert.....

And - if he had spent his 15m quid on 2 defenders, who exactly do you think would be playing up front, having lost Owen, Shearer and Bellamy in the last 2 years ..........

Guest Knightrider

Maybe but I don't think he is fully to blame for the transfer window debacle and I'd be shocked if the board didn't undermine him in some way on that front given they did so to the previous two managers.

I don't doubt for a moment that Sibierski and Bernard were boardroom deals either and not Roeder buys because they just don't fit the profile, I don't think Duff was either, not in so many words.

I think the club went to Roeder and said: "would you like Duff"

Roeder: "sure but we need defenders and strikers first"

Club: "don't worry Glenn, we'll work with you to bring those players in"

Roeder: "go on then, aye, I'll have Duff as well in that case"

I could be wrong like, but I don't think I'm too far off.

Maybe but I don't think he is fully to blame for the transfer window debacle and I'd be shocked if the board didn't undermine him in some way on that front given they did so to the previous two managers.

I don't doubt for a moment that Sibierski and Bernard were boardroom deals either and not Roeder buys because they just don't fit the profile, I don't think Duff was either, not in so many words.

I think the club went to Roeder and said: "would you like Duff"

Roeder: "sure but we need defenders and strikers first"

Club: "don't worry Glenn, we'll work with you to bring those players in"

Roeder: "go on then, aye, I'll have Duff as well in that case"

I could be wrong like, but I don't think I'm too far off.

I think Roeder was absolutely correct to spend his money on 2 - in his opinion - quality forwards, we needed them because we literally had nobody else once we knew Owen was out.

Guest Knightrider

''..you can not play Ameobe up there on his own at any time. He's potential crap and will never be any better. I just wished I knew what hold Ameobe has over this club as each consecutive manager has liked him.'' PURETOON

To my mind one of the golden rules always has been: DON'T drop a striker who's scoring for fun.

Oba's pace alone should have given him the shirt over Shola.

Poor descision imo.

Yet, and I know how straw clutching this is and hey, I'm not disagreeing, I agree 100%, had we gotten something from the game Roeder would have been hailed a tactical whizz. My point? He was trying to find a balance and it didn't work or pay off. He tried to counter our defensive problems by cramming the midfield to protect the back four at the expense of an extra attacker, then use the pace of Martins and N'Zogbia around the 60-70 minute mark to go for it with the game at 0-0, Man Utd tired (European away trip in midweek) and out of ideas. That was the theory anyway and it at least shows, on Roeder's part, willingness to try new methods or to look at ways to solve a problem for us. Sadly it didn't work but I wouldn't say his tactics were to blame for that, but rather the players were unable to keep man Utd at bay for him to use his card tricks and the lack of a plan B which I suppose is his fault.

Playing devils advocate here BTW.