The Roeder Question.

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If and I say IF, Roeder has a bad say first 12 games ie one or two unconvincing wins and a couple of lucky draws and we lose the remaninder of those games. I am interested to know how much core support or sympathy Roeder will have. Will he get time to make it right to build on the impressive end to last term (which must have won a fair few over) or will his lack of good credentials and poor record start to go against him?

We'll get nowhere by sacking him at any point this season, apart from if we're in serious trouble. I've had my doubts from day one but we need consistency for a while to recover from the mess Souness has made.

"At the very least he deserves one full season as long as there is no relegation worries."

Pretty much sums it up for me, he proved for me last season that he can manage a team to do well in the PL and with the players we've been linked with I don't think to much will go wrong this season. Would like to see us go far in Europe mind.

I voted on what I thought would be happening if things go badly (hovering around the 14th mark a few months in, say). People will be getting very jittery and there'll be talk of him having to go if things don't begin to change.

Give him the season, there's no reason to judge him after such a short space of time.

I don't think i can remember Sir Bobby ever having a good start to a campaign, and yet he took us well up there later in the season.

Can I please go on record as saying I want Glenn Roeder as manager for as long as possible - 3-5 years or even longer?

Even if he is just keeping the seat warm for Shearer, then I'm hoping he has the job for three seasons - the first two while Shearer gets his badges, and then Shearer can spend a season as Roeder's assistant before GR 'retires' - either as head of the Academy or Director of Football type role...

I know he was no one's first choice, but I'm very impressed with the manner in which he has tackled the role. I know his history isn't the best, but I believe there were extentuating circumstances. I know the lack of transfers has some fans calling him incompetent and clueless in the market, but I have made my feeling os this subject clear here - http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,26604.160.html (on this page somewhere!)

I've got bucketloads of faith in Glenn Roeder - Please feel free to use this post to bash me over the head should it all end in tears :D

Guest Jangles

While I wasnt sure about him, the preformances and results he got from the same players Souness had sliding towards the relegation dogfight was impressive convinced me that he should be given a chance over the next season.

He's always been refreshingly honest - i.e. after the charlton game "Our defending for all three goals was woeful. At this level, for Newcastle United, it's not good enough and it's happening too often.". And he's got us playing decent attacking football (most of the time) and seems to learn from his mistakes.

He's getting a lot of stick about the lack of transfers at the moment, but I think he's identified players and its up to the chairman to get them and I fully expect a couple more to arrive before the end of the month. And I prefer to see a little more time going into looking properly at players rather than wasting millions getting another maric, marcelinho, anderssen, luque, boum, etc.

As has been said before we're usually bad starters to the season so a string of bad results wouldnt surprise me but I suspect theres a lot of people out there sharpening their knives already, hoping for the opportunity to bray "Told you so" from the rooftops

He should be given time, clearly. But, equally, we NEED to improve on our past few seasons, and if he doesn't have us close to achieving our goal (surely 6th) by the end of the season, he might as well go.

What i want from Roeder is some transfer action, and less of the rubbish about certain players - we don;t need a managerial equivalent of Ameobi - all bullshit and no ability. Let results do the talking, etc.

The pre-season is absolutely no indication of how he will do, but he needs to strengthen the first team verey quickly.

Guest David Kelly

If and I say IF, Roeder has a bad say first 12 games ie one or two unconvincing wins and a couple of lucky draws and we lose the remaninder of those games. I am interested to know how much core support or sympathy Roeder will have. Will he get time to make it right to build on the impressive end to last term (which must have won a fair few over) or will his lack of good credentials and poor record start to go against him?

If we have that sort of run in our 12 games then we will be in a relegation battle.  Have you seen our opening fixtures?

Guest Jangles

He should be given time, clearly. But, equally, we NEED to improve on our past few seasons, and if he doesn't have us close to achieving our goal (surely 6th) by the end of the season, he might as well go.

What i want from Roeder is some transfer action, and less of the rubbish about certain players - we don;t need a managerial equivalent of Ameobi - all bullshit and no ability. Let results do the talking, etc.

The pre-season is absolutely no indication of how he will do, but he needs to strengthen the first team verey quickly.

I think Roeder is more than capable of pushing us up the table. Last seasons record under roeder wouldve had us 4th extrapolated across the entire season, not bad considering the injury record and the fact he played 4 of the top 5. But I think more importantly hes sorting out a lasting infrastructure at the club in terms of the academy, decent scouting, etc

Agreed preseason friendlies mean nowt but the games against Lillestrom were ok considering the difference in preparation time

And why is it Roeder getting stick for the lack of transfers rather than Shephard?

David,

I thought about that and was very close to pontificating if we had 3 wins and 3 or 4 draws, but going by previous starts, that wouldn't really seem like a crisis of form, so I edged away from those numbers to get people to answer the question with sommat more concrete to go by. But I see what you mean. Also I don't think there really are any 'easy' games in the PL these days and perhaps 2 or 3 unbeatable sides. You make a valid point though.

There are 3 tough away games in the first 12...

Also newly promoted sides are harder to beat in the early games before the rot sets in.

Guest David Kelly

There are of course no easy games but we really need to be seeing ourselves towards the top four after our opening run if we hope to be anyware decent come the end of the season.

We cannot aford to throw away points in these games because if we are struggling against these teams go help us when we hit the likes of Chelski, Arsenal, Manure, Liverpool and Spurs!

Give him the season, there's no reason to judge him after such a short space of time.

I don't think i can remember Sir Bobby ever having a good start to a campaign, and yet he took us well up there later in the season.

It's a pity you hadn't informed Douglas Hall of that, we might not have ended up with Souness.

David,

Agreed. But I think Spurs have had 'their season'. I wouldn't include them imo as one of the strongest this year. Just a hunch like. Mido and Carrick did a hell of a lot for them last year and they still have the left sided problem. Made the Duff transfer all the sweeter. bluecool.gif

Guest Bellers

This has to be a long term project, I'd give Roeder a long term contact to build us a platform we can expand on...

I think Roeder is more than capable of pushing us up the table. Last seasons record under roeder wouldve had us 4th extrapolated across the entire season, not bad considering the injury record and the fact he played 4 of the top 5. But I think more importantly hes sorting out a lasting infrastructure at the club in terms of the academy, decent scouting, etc

Agreed preseason friendlies mean nowt but the games against Lillestrom were ok considering the difference in preparation time

And why is it Roeder getting stick for the lack of transfers rather than Shephard?

No-one is getting stick. Hopefully if Roeder identifies players he wants, we'll get them. The worry is that we have bought/Roeder has expressed an interest in players who shoudl not be on our immediate priorities list. Nice to have them, granted, but we have other priorities. We are a CB and 2 strikers away from being anywhere near good enough to get top 6, and if we want to be comfortable up there, we will need to look at 2 full backs as well.

If Roeder is the best we could get when Souness was sacked and Souness was the best we could get when we sacked Sir Bobby, what the hell would we get next time?

I don't think Roeder has done anything special at all so far other than use some common sense, I've seen nothing from him that I haven't seen from other caretaker managers in the past and they've gone onto fail but he's doing the job that he was given, probably because nobody else wanted it.

I think we're stuck with him no matter what happens so we might as well support him, not blindly, but still support him.

Looking at what has happened with out last two appointments makes me think if Roeder goes we'll give Kevin Bond or terry Mac' the job, does anybody want that?

I certainly don't so I'll support Roeder and hope he does better than I expect, I'm not even setting him the same target that Freddy set Sir Bobby or the one that I thought Souness had to reach when he spent almost £50 million, Roeder has a history which suggests that he's not capable of doing a job in management, maybe our crazy club is the one that brings the best out of him, we'll soon find out.  I might be wrong but it looks like he's operating with a handicap, a handicap of picking up the pieces of the last failed manager and his transfer policy of spend, spend, spend.

Time will tell, he's got my full support, if only because we seem to be the club that nobody else wants.

Guest Jangles

If Roeder is the best we could get when Souness was sacked and Souness was the best we could get when we sacked Sir Bobby, what the hell would we get next time?

I don't think Roeder has done anything special at all so far other than use some common sense, I've seen nothing from him that I haven't seen from other caretaker managers in the past and they've gone onto fail but he's doing the job that he was given, probably because nobody else wanted it.

I think we're stuck with him no matter what happens so we might as well support him, not blindly, but still support him.

Looking at what has happened with out last two appointments makes me think if Roeder goes we'll give Kevin Bond or terry Mac' the job, does anybody want that?

I certainly don't so I'll support Roeder and hope he does better than I expect, I'm not even setting him the same target that Freddy set Sir Bobby or the one that I thought Souness had to reach when he spent almost £50 million, Roeder has a history which suggests that he's not capable of doing a job in management, maybe our crazy club is the one that brings the best out of him, we'll soon find out.  I might be wrong but it looks like he's operating with a handicap, a handicap of picking up the pieces of the last failed manager and his transfer policy of spend, spend, spend.

Time will tell, he's got my full support, if only because we seem to be the club that nobody else wants.

I think Roeder is doing a good job despite being handy capped by the squad left him by Souness. The problem with common sense is its not that common. He's getting goals from Shola and seems to be getting more from Zoggy and Milner, the defence also seemed more solid than previously (ignoring friendlies).

So far this season, we've scored 4 goals in 2 matches despite only having 1 (semi) fit striker (11 goals in 4 counting friendlies).

He also seems to have identified weakness's within the club and is trying to correct them i.e. getting the academy running properly, properly scouting and researching targets, he's also started scouting promising youngsters again.

So far this season we've done well to get past Lillestrom and have made reasonable accounts of ourselves in 2 tough friendlies and I think that we'll continue to push on

Talking about the friendlies, organising friendlies with two very good sides for me has to be a postive sign on the Roeder front.

I don't think the manager organises the friendlies, I remember Bobby Robson moaning about travelling for friendlies, I don't think he'd have moaned if he organised them.

Guest Jangles

Talking about the friendlies, organising friendlies with two very good sides for me has to be a postive sign on the Roeder front.

I don't think the manager organises the friendlies, I remember Bobby Robson moaning about travelling for friendlies, I don't think he'd have moaned if he organised them.

I think I read somewhere that Roeder wanted some tough friendlies, Bobby's complaints were about traipsing halfway around the world to play for the sake of merchandising deals

Guest Knightrider

This is as big a season for Roeder as it is for the club, this is his chance to make a name for himself as a good manager which I think he's hungry to prove. It's a massive massive challenge one that looks overwhelming for a manager of his fairly average ability and softly softly approach, but he has to be given time and 100% support from fans, boardroom and players alike.

I'm sitting on the fence with this one ;)