The Roeder Question.

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My vote was of the "out ASAP" variety. Performed miracles end of last season blah blah blah, but he's been found out now. Tactical nous of a small lobotomised ant with singed antennae. But for fucks sake, fat cunt, get someone decent lined up first before you pull the trigger this time.

There are a lot of ppl on here saying "I told you so" right now, and I am quite happy to admit that I am one of those. A ridiculous appointment in the first place compounding the mistakes made with the last manager.

If you believe what the chronicle keeps telling us and the likes of Big Sam and MON were passed over for the 'fans choice', and compare the jobs they are doing at their clubs and it just gets worse.

So why did our wonderful chairman appoint this man. Well I think it's a stroke of genius on his part and smacks of self preservation. We were told before hand how Roeder was the fans choice for the job after rescuing us from the evil souness reign, obviously FS was out to make amends by appointing the popular choice after getting it wrong with Souness. It makes him look like he's a supportive chairman by giving the job to a caretaker. He gets a yes man in, whose in no position to kick back at his boss and it doesn't cost him any money in compensation. If and when he needs to sack him he can say, well I gave you what you wanted and can then play his trump card and wheel Shearer out to be saviour of the toon.

Win, Win, win situation for him, or so he thinks, when we a spiralling towards relegation and it turns out that Shearer either doesn't want it or isn't as most of us believe really cut out for the job perhaps he'll realise how foolish he has been by then it may be too late.

One other possibility though is that should the Belgravia takeover eventually go through(which it probably will once FFS and SJH get what they want), will Glenn Roeder be ambitious enough for them. My gut feeling is probably no, and they will look to appoint their own man. Whether they wait until the end of the season, give Glenn a pat on the back and move him upstairs, or just boot him out straight away would be the 6 million dollar question

There are a lot of ppl on here saying "I told you so" right now, and I am quite happy to admit that I am one of those. A ridiculous appointment in the first place compounding the mistakes made with the last manager.

If you believe what the chronicle keeps telling us and the likes of Big Sam and MON were passed over for the 'fans choice', and compare the jobs they are doing at their clubs and it just gets worse.

So why did our wonderful chairman appoint this man. Well I think it's a stroke of genius on his part and smacks of self preservation. We were told before hand how Roeder was the fans choice for the job after rescuing us from the evil souness reign, obviously FS was out to make amends by appointing the popular choice after getting it wrong with Souness. It makes him look like he's a supportive chairman by giving the job to a caretaker. He gets a yes man in, whose in no position to kick back at his boss and it doesn't cost him any money in compensation. If and when he needs to sack him he can say, well I gave you what you wanted and can then play his trump card and wheel Shearer out to be saviour of the toon.

Win, Win, win situation for him, or so he thinks, when we a spiralling towards relegation and it turns out that Shearer either doesn't want it or isn't as most of us believe really cut out for the job perhaps he'll realise how foolish he has been by then it may be too late.

What a superb analysis. The problem with Roeder is he isn't a leader of any description. He's keeping the seat warm for Alan Shearer, so it's hardly surprising fewer and fewer are willing to bust a gut for him.

One other possibility though is that should the Belgravia takeover eventually go through(which it probably will once FFS and SJH get what they want), will Glenn Roeder be ambitious enough for them. My gut feeling is probably no, and they will look to appoint their own man. Whether they wait until the end of the season, give Glenn a pat on the back and move him upstairs, or just boot him out straight away would be the 6 million dollar question

MY feelings exactly , but we can only hope the club is still going to be in the Premiership when the new outfit takes over.....

Personally, I'm convinced. Roeder needs to go. But I would rather have him stay if Freddie Shepherd is staying as well. I have lost all kind of trust in the chairman, so I wouldn't want him making any more managerial appointments thank you very much.

The club is stale, and needs new blood. This chairman had taken us as far as he could (about 4 yrs ago), and should have gone with SBR. He seems to conveniently forget that this is a football club first and foremost, and then a business. Without the football, there is NO business, and he's got that equation completely wrong.

So basically, Roeder should only be sacked if some sort of takeover is on the cards, and the principal fuck-up that is Shepherd is on his bike.

Guest Ridzuan

Yes Roeder needs to go.What is past is history now and I dont think he is up to that level of leading the team back into old days when we were very dominant.I hope he will be sack as soon as possible but for now,I dont think there is any suitable replacement for him.So I will give him my support for now.

Guest Gemmill

Would anyone change their vote if they KNEW that the man he would be replaced with would be Alan Shearer?

Take off your "Shearer is a legend who can do no wrong" hats before you answer this one, and bear in mind the fact that Shearer is 100% inexperienced as a football manager.

Guest Ridzuan

Would anyone change their vote if they KNEW that the man he would be replaced with would be Alan Shearer?

Take off your "Shearer is a legend who can do no wrong" hats before you answer this one, and bear in mind the fact that Shearer is 100% inexperienced as a football manager.

I wouldnt take Shearer either.Not that I hate him or what,I got a lot of respect for him and Im sure you do as well but just because he is a great player doesnt mean he is a great manager.Furthermore,he has no experience as a football manager at all.However,we could obviously take a risk on him just like what Sunderland did when they hired Keane.Nevertheless,I think we shouldnt rush in appointing him as a manager.Let him work his way up.

Guest Gemmill

I wouldnt take Shearer either.Not that I hate him or what,I got a lot of respect for him and Im sure you do as well but just because he is a great player doesnt mean he is a great manager.Furthermore,he has no experience as a football manager at all.However,we could obviously take a risk on him just like what Sunderland did when they hired Keane.Nevertheless,I think we shouldnt rush in appointing him as a manager.Let him work his way up.

If Shearer says he wants it, the job will be his.  That is guaranteed.  Shepherd is desperate to sit next to Shearer at a press conference and announce that he's given the Geordie people what they all want - a Geordie manager.  And 20,000 mongs will turn up at St. James to welcome him back.  The rest of us will be at work, rueing yet another ridiculous decision by the idiot in charge of the club.

thats basically the same thing Toon4Life said, but yeah, good reason not to pick "Roeder out". I took the 4th option.

If Shearer says he wants it, the job will be his.  That is guaranteed.  Shepherd is desperate to sit next to Shearer at a press conference and announce that he's given the Geordie people what they all want - a Geordie manager.  And 20,000 mongs will turn up at St. James to welcome him back.  The rest of us will be at work, rueing yet another ridiculous decision by the idiot in charge of the club.

Have had one too many already, and the prime reason I don't want GR sacked is that I'm hoping we won't have to endure anymore of those.

I would actually welcome Shearer as manager, only under a different board and chairman to the clowns and imbecile in charge now.

We all know Shearer will be Newcastle manager someday, probably our next manager if Freddie Shepherd is still around.

There is a strong chance this would be a poor option, the man has had no experience in management. I say strong chance as I don't think it is fair to write him off completely. Keegan had no experiece and he did well for us.

But don't get me wrong I would be gutted if Al was our next manager. Shearer will be remembered as a legend on the pitch but that does not me he will be a good manager.

The thing is, Shearer will be our next manager anyway. It's best to get it out of the way as soon as possible and who knows, he might turn out to be quite good.

Fact is, there are some fans who think that any player or manager who represents the club automatically deserves support for a given amount of time. This is why some people were saying we should give Souness iuntil the end of last season, and beyond. They were wrong.

Roeder came in, and helped us out, and the team did what it had to. Now, though, with the "new manager" effect gone, it is clear that he is not up to it. He ballsed up in the transfer window (and shortly after it), his player/tactics/subs selections have been poor, and he has to go (for me, anyway).

The "well, who else do you want" argument was used by certain fans to justify keeping Soumess on, and it was as lfawed then as it is now. I don't claim to know the availability of every manager in the world, but i DO know that Roeder is not up to the task for me, and that keeping him on is not going to help him or us. There are clearly problems at Board level, and we are by no means a big club, but lets not allow that to cloud the fact that Deadly Doug Ellis got O'Neill only a few months after we failed to do so. They now have a better manager than us, by a long way.

Our first team is a shambles, the manager makes seemingly random substitutions, our best outfield player of last season is sat in the bench, and as soon as Bramble comes back, he'll be back in the first team, despite the fact that we play in a division above the one his ability should have him in.

We see ourselves as a top 6 team at the least, but half of the first team, and the manager himself, aren't good enough for that.

Fact is, there are some fans who think that any player or manager who represents the club automatically deserves support for a given amount of time. This is why some people were saying we should give Souness iuntil the end of last season, and beyond. They were wrong.

Roeder came in, and helped us out, and the team did what it had to. Now, though, with the "new manager" effect gone, it is clear that he is not up to it. He ballsed up in the transfer window (and shortly after it), his player/tactics/subs selections have been poor, and he has to go (for me, anyway).

The "well, who else do you want" argument was used by certain fans to justify keeping Soumess on, and it was as lfawed then as it is now. I don't claim to know the availability of every manager in the world, but i DO know that Roeder is not up to the task for me, and that keeping him on is not going to help him or us. There are clearly problems at Board level, and we are by no means a big club, but lets not allow that to cloud the fact that Deadly Doug Ellis got O'Neill only a few months after we failed to do so. They now have a better manager than us, by a long way.

Our first team is a shambles, the manager makes seemingly random substitutions, our best outfield player of last season is sat in the bench, and as soon as Bramble comes back, he'll be back in the first team, despite the fact that we play in a division above the one his ability should have him in.

We see ourselves as a top 6 team at the least, but half of the first team, and the manager himself, aren't good enough for that.

You forgot to mention "chairman" as well.

Guest The Fox

The Chairman is in  a position now where he is looking for a way out. He has failed miserably to continue the style performance and success of the Keegan years. has made 4 poor appoinments out of 5, his last two being particularly mind boggling. I believe he is now trying to get the best deal for himself and the other major shareholders from a takeover. He appointed a yes man so that he would not have to face any in fighting in terms of money available and players to pursue, any top class Managers would probably not come near him, they know the set up.

Its  a shame but while this continues the club will at best tread water.

Amazing that a man who has taken lesser clubs like Gillingham, Watford and West Ham to relegation areas, that is fact, is considered by some to be an acceptable appointment based on his success during a honeymoon period against the less than top quality sides. Remember under Roeder we still put in poor performances against the top sides.

Of course some say you should not expect any improvement this season. Why not?

Villa have, without venturing in to the transfer market, looked organised and were capable of going to Chelsea and putting in  a fighting performance unlike our mob at Old Trafford.

Guest Knightrider

People were saying Souness needed time and money because he did, all managers do, we knew he wasn't going to get sacked or would be able to do anything without some money so what did you expect people's reactions to be to his appointment which BTW I can't remember one single person on or offline being happy with?

I doubt anyone was happy with being forced into saying he needs money and time, I know I wasn't because I knew it would all end in tears the day he was appointed because he was shit and proved that, but when your club makes an appointment you can do two things, accept it and hope for the best or withdraw your support.

Just because some fans didn't prefer to piss and moan at every turn doesn't mean they are responsible for Souness just like some preferring to piss and moan at every turn didn't undermine him or make his job harder.

Don't blame fans for Souness, blame who appointed him and the man himself for failing, not to mention his players.

BTW when it looked like we were going to sack Souness many predicted today's state of affairs, i.e. that Souness wasn't the main problem and that just with his sacking, those problems would go away, which many people thought would happen.

I maintained all along that getting rid of Souness would just be akin to a token gesture. Read the "are we better off today than under Souness thread". In some ways we are but in some we aren't and in many ways things just haven't changed.

FWIW I absolve Roeder of any blame for the state of affairs, he is way out of his depth and I pretty much expected things to turn sour following his appointment because he's an average manager, some would say shite, and our performances and points tally reflect this fact so if anything, he's doing the job his ability allows him to do, i.e. not an awful lot.

I just hope fans don't turn on what is essentially a good man who for what he did last season, deserves our forgiveness for any shite performance or poor league finish that comes our way.

As with Souness, Roeder isn't the problem. There is a malaise at the club that has slowly built up at the club since KK left and the change of ownership took effect/or control and we are now feeling the full effect of this cancer.

People were saying Souness needed time and money because he did, all managers do, we knew he wasn't going to get sacked or would be able to do anything without some money so what did you expect people's reactions to be to his appointment which BTW I can't remember one single person on or offline being happy with?

I doubt anyone was happy with being forced into saying he needs money and time, I know I wasn't because I knew it would all end in tears the day he was appointed because he was shit and proved that, but when your club makes an appointment you can do two things, accept it and hope for the best or withdraw your support.

Just because some fans didn't prefer to piss and moan at every turn doesn't mean they are responsible for Souness just like some preferring to piss and moan at every turn didn't undermine him or make his job harder.

Don't blame fans for Souness, blame who appointed him and the man himself for failing, not to mention his players.

BTW when it looked like we were going to sack Souness many predicted today's state of affairs, i.e. that Souness wasn't the main problem and that just with his sacking, those problems would go away, which many people thought would happen.

I maintained all along that getting rid of Souness would just be akin to a token gesture. Read the "are we better off today than under Souness thread". In some ways we are but in some we aren't and in many ways things just haven't changed.

FWIW I absolve Roeder of any blame for the state of affairs, he is way out of his depth and I pretty much expected things to turn sour following his appointment because he's an average manager, some would say shite, and our performances and points tally reflect this fact so if anything, he's doing the job his ability allows him to do, i.e. not an awful lot.

I just hope fans don't turn on what is essentially a good man who for what he did last season, deserves our forgiveness for any shite performance or poor league finish that comes our way.

As with Souness, Roeder isn't the problem. There is a malaise at the club that has slowly built up at the club since KK left and the change of ownership took effect/or control and we are now feeling the full effect of this cancer.

That bit applied to Souness and all.

We have played 2 out of the hardest 4 games, and its early days.

However - not many things piss me off more than a negative attitude, and/or a negative approach.

And thats what we got yesterday.