The Roeder Question.

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would give him one season just see if he is the man for the job, last season every one was euphoric because we weren't relegated and we started winning some games. But I'll go on record I don't think he is the man get the Toon what we want, I hope I'm proven wrong though but doubt it. The fact is we couldn't get a decent Manager to come to Toon and the question is why couldn't we? and I certianly don't want Shearer to be our Manager until he proves himself in the lower leagues.

Roeder doesn't have the pedigree, so a bad start to the season will only confirm many people's suspicions about him. So long as we're in the top half he'll get a full season, if we're drifting towards relegation (a la Souness) then he'll get the chop pretty quickly I reckon.

At the moment, I'd have to say he has to get the whole season.  This clearly depends on results though, and if we find ourselves sitting perilously close to the bottom, then we'd need to consider the chop.  It still depends on other factors though, I'd personally take into account how the team was playing.  And if I believed there was any chance he could turn it round, something I never believed with Souness.

As people have said though, he has a clear history, and it's not a good one.  He was given the job on the basis of saving us from the disaster that was Souness, and my main fear from the moment it became clear he was getting the job was that a whole season could be a completely different ball game.  I'm still quietly confident though we can do resonably well. 

I don't think we're going to get in the top six, maybe even if we should, I can see us finishing just outside Europe, perhaps 8th, when you take into account a possible UEFA cup run, if not even two domestic cup runs.  It'll be interesting to see how Roeder handles this, again something he has no experience of, in Europe's case.

It's one that has me perplexed and I often change my stance. I might read summat by West Ham fans or an article and think we are in big trouble or see that Venables has been v positive about Roeders future and immediately change my mind. Also the way he interviews reminds me of an insurance salesman, all calm and short sentences. I wonder how in hell he is going to motivate 'the big players'. But of course we have to remind ourselves what he did at the end of last year, with his adjustments of the defence and his tinkering on how the midfield worked that made it more cohesive. The change in Shola since he took over is another perplexing development, scoring one in two goals per game. People say it is just because he is playing in his natural position, but I suspect there is more to it than that.

Roeder understands that he is on the brink of greatness if he gets things right and has a little bit of luck. After the tumor no one can say that luck isn't on his side. :)

i personally think if we can finish top 6 this coming season we'd be in great shape to build a solid team that can challenge for honours. this season holds much significance, we're in a transitional period with shearer retired owen out and roeder being fairly unproven at this level, in the transfer market and all. by finishing top 6 it means several things

- with or without shearer/owen we're still a pretty strong team

- roeder can hold his own in this league

- we'll be a more attractive option for transfer targets

and with that we can go on and build for the future.

however if somehow we screw up next season then roeder's future will be uncertain meaning we'd be hanging in the balance unable to move forward. we'd fall back a couple of seasons in terms of progress and further behind spurs so all in all its going to be a monumental season for the club

Guest SeattleToon

I think Roeder (and any manager for that matter), need to be given at least two full seasons before they can be accurately evaluated. Why? Because it takes that long for the manager to get all the players that he wants (instead of being stuck with the ones from the previous manager) and to make whatever structural changes he wants to make both on and off the pitch.

My impression of Roeder as a man-manager and tactician is positive at this point, not just because of the results he got last year, but also because he seems to do a very good job communicating with the players about their roles. I was amazed by the lack of complaining coming from Luque last year (can you imagine how loud Robert or Bellamy would have been whining), especially considering that it was a World Cup year and his lack of first team action cost him a place on Spain's WC squad.

At this point I'm pretty neutral about his record in the transfer market, but it is far too soon to form a definitive option. Signing Duff was a great piece of business, but the fact that we have yet to sign a striker or strengthen the defense has me very worried, and if he is not successful in signing some more players in the next two weeks, my opinion of him in this area will drop.

"My impression of Roeder as a man-manager and tactician is positive at this point, not just because of the results he got last year, but also because he seems to do a very good job communicating with the players about their roles. I was amazed by the lack of complaining coming from Luque last year (can you imagine how loud Robert or Bellamy would have been whining), especially considering that it was a World Cup year and his lack of first team action cost him a place on Spain's WC squad." ST

This is his strongest suite. He has been v good at getting the players to understand what is needed in differrent situations. Although I'm not totally won over regarding his tactical depth.

Guest Invicta_Toon

if roeder gets the chop who gets his job then?

the question has no relevance until we are bottom 3 in march

having said that, i'm confident hitzfeld will step in and save us by then

• 1 month later...

I'd give Roeder at LEAST this season, unless we're really struggling. I'm not sure whether he or FFS are to blame but the whole season has been jeapordised by our failings in the transfer market. Its not even October and already we have the defensive crisis everybody could see coming.

Well, Newcastle will not get anywhere with FS sacking a manager every 12-18 months. As if we weren't already mediocre, sacking Roeder before the end of this season would be as plausible as deliberately contracting AIDS.

[Probably get someone responding to this asking what about when we're struggling in the relegation zone. In honesty, even given the current defensive problems, we should have no problem staying in the top 12[Edit:15 :D], hence Roeder by all effects shouldn't be sacked, because we won't be that far down the table.]

We spent far too long this summer messing around trying to get in trophy players when a few players such as Joleon Lescott, Matthew Taylor, or Glen Johnson would have been very good additions to the squad. My guess is that FFS is obsessed with striking deals with the big clubs to help maintain this deluded belief of his that we are a massive player in world football.

He should never have been appointed, but he will probably stay until we are in desperate times.

Can you ever imagine if there was a Managerial vacancy at Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona or any top club that they would even for a second consider appointing someone of Roeder's calibre and record.

Shepherd has surrounded himself with yes men in the Managers and coaches, and his get out, when it goes pear shaped, will be either to sell up or appoint Alan Shearer. The plot is easy to see.

This is what makes this club big in Shepherds mouth only.

I can't see even the remotest possibility of us ending up with anyone better, until that changes, it's a bad idea to get rid of Roeder. Fat Fred has already got a reputation as a trigger-happy chairman and too many times he's pulled that trigger without the faintest idea what to do next. If he does it again we will seriously struggle to attract anyone with any kind of reputation to take over as manager and that'll just make things worse.

Before anyone says it, Shearer is NOT the answer.

I can't see even the remotest possibility of us ending up with anyone better, until that changes, it's a bad idea to get rid of Roeder. Fat Fred has already got a reputation as a trigger-happy chairman and too many times he's pulled that trigger without the faintest idea what to do next. If he does it again we will seriously struggle to attract anyone with any kind of reputation to take over as manager and that'll just make things worse.

Before anyone says it, Shearer is NOT the answer.

Excellent (but sad) response. My feelings exactly. Without bigger changes at the top Roeder is about how well we would expect to do.