Pace....

madras

i'm just saying a team without pace/one that doesn't know how to use it usually plays poor football.

and i'm saying it's not the be all and blah blah as a lot of people think

Nobody has said it'd the be all, they've said it's an important asset that a team needs along with players with good technique.

and my point is that some players eg arsenals, appear quicker due to technique and nouse (as i have given rosicky,hleb) than true pace.

And they also have players at fullback who are some of the fastest about because of the way they set up.

As I said, they have a mixture of both, at the same time they don't have anyone slow either.

What point are you trying to make? They may not have attacking players with the pace of Bellamy or Martins but they don't have players with no pace either, all of their attacking players are good athletes.

i'm just saying a team without pace/one that doesn't know how to use it usually plays poor football.

Nobody has said it'd the be all, they've said it's an important asset that a team needs along with players with good technique.

and my point is that some players eg arsenals, appear quicker due to technique and nouse (as i have given rosicky,hleb) than true pace.

And they also have players at fullback who are some of the fastest about because of the way they set up.

As I said, they have a mixture of both, at the same time they don't have anyone slow either.

What point are you trying to make? They may not have attacking players with the pace of Bellamy or Martins but they don't have players with no pace either, all of their attacking players are good athletes.

first off being a good athlete doen't mean you're quick, secand as i've pointed out last seasons slow pokes are now quick (hleb rosicky...i'll even throw eboue in there) do you think they have got physically quicker ?

first off being a good athlete doen't mean you're quick, secand as i've pointed out last seasons slow pokes are now quick (hleb rosicky...i'll even throw eboue in there) do you think they have got physically quicker ?

Eboue slow?! He's one of the quickest around.

Other players use technique to beat a man but that doesn't mean you don't need pace in a side and to say it isn't important is rubbish, watch how Arsenal set up, they encourage their wide men to come in field so it gives their ridiculously fast fullbacks the opportunity to overlap and get in behind the opposition.

Again, what point are you making? Do you even have a point?

Fuck Off!!!

Arsenal have one of the fastest, strongest sides in the league.

Kolo Toure is faster (and stronger) than everyone in our first team bar Martins.

Clichy can run neck to neck with Ronaldo.

Rosicky and Hleb aren't fast per se but like someone said, they have a good burst and are faster than friggin Milner.

Adebayour and Van Persie aren't blistering but their quick enough whilst also being big and strong. Infact all their players are very strong.. a terrific bunch of athletes.. this plays some part in all of their late goals they seem to get.

Fitter, faster, stronger than all of our players practically man for man. Even the slower ones like Fabregas and Gilberto would still skin the Butts, Milners and Cacapa's of the world. Pretty much all of their players are as fast (and strong) as Rooney. Which isn't lightning but is fast enough to make teams think twice about playing a high line as if you give them a yard you wont make it back.

Pace not important?

Notice any notable characteristics about Utaka and Benjani hold and a certain Cacapa doesn't?

A whole team without pace (which is pretty much us) is a huge drawback.

Eboue isn't slow by any stretch of the imagination, he's one of the quickest players in the league ffs. Rosicky isn't slow either, he's not exceptionally fast but is no sloutch. I've said earlier that Hleb is probably the only slow player in arsenal's side but he makes up for it by the fact he is probably the most skilful player in the country. even then he is probably faster than a lot of our players over a 5 yard dash.

the way arsenal play most of their attacks are made with short, sharp runs at full pelt, rather than pace over 50 yards, which is more often restricted to the full-backs, one winger (either walcott or eboue depending) and Adebayor who will beat almost anyone over those distances. doesn't mean they don't use pace, far from it, it's arguable that they use it more effectively than anyone, tailoring it to specific areas where it does the most harm (aforementioned positions), as well as concentrating it into constant small doses where no player runs too far or gets too drained before releasing the ball.

Other players use technique to beat a man but that doesn't mean you don't need pace in a side and to say it isn't important is rubbish, watch how Arsenal set up, they encourage their wide men to come in field so it gives their ridiculously fast fullbacks the opportunity to overlap and get in behind the opposition.

yet last season eboue wasn't one of the quickest around, has he got physically quicker ? or is it the style they play makes them appear quicker ? teams with moderate pace can attack and defend at pace due to nouse (arsenal) but teams filled with pace and no nouse  will always fail.

baggio you are on here often enough to know about how many when asked what we want in the transfer window etc want PACE.

yet last season eboue wasn't one of the quickest around, has he got physically quicker ? or is it the style they play makes them appear quicker ? teams with moderate pace can attack and defend at pace due to nouse (arsenal) but teams filled with pace and no nouse  will always fail.

baggio you are on here often enough to know about how many when asked what we want in the transfer window etc want PACE.

honestly, i think you must be getting Eboue mixed up with someone else.

Errr.... Eboue has always been one of the fastest players in the league. He beats players with PURE pace sometimes.. seriously few of our players are as fast as him.

I can barely count the number of times, while watching the game today, I thought 'we would be winning this if we had someone who can run really fast'.

a centre-half.

As far as I could see, Cacapa actually got goalside in both goals, just got shoved off the ball.

Eboue has always been one of the quickest around for fuck sake.

I want more pace in the side, as JamesD pointed out pace helps you get in behind defenders and stretch games, you don't have to be lightening quick to do this but you have to have quicker players than Milner, Viduka, Smith and Owen (now he's lost his)

You take Martins and N'Zogbia out of our starting 11 away from home and our chances of a counter attack will be near zero, and counter attack football is what the majority of teams play away from home, that's not saying technique isn't important because it is but it's getting a balance of both.

I've seen just as many people say we need a creative playmaker in midfield, the truth is we need both.

Look how it can effect players though who once had it and lost it one way or another.

Owen is an example of that at the moment, although the tactics aren't helping him.

Shearer after that injury in '97, managed to re-model his game, although at the highest level was just a back to goal striker, when beforehand was so much more.

Gazza after his cruciate injury, lost that burst of pace he once had, that not many people give him credit for.

Look how it can effect players though who once had it and lost it one way or another.

Owen is an example of that at the moment, although the tactics aren't helping him.

Shearer after that injury in '97, managed to re-model his game, although at the highest level was just a back to goal striker, when beforehand was so much more.

Gazza after his cruciate injury, lost that burst of pace he once had, that not many people give him credit for.

Write Owen off at your peril 2Gay.  bluerazz.gif

Without pace we are absolutely shite really. Every team needs at least 2 pacey outlets. It forces defenders to think faster this causes more mistakes to be made, Pace is a necessity really and is massively beneficial when used effectvely, one of the most important aspects of the current game.

I'm not writing him off, but he was a lot more dangerous when he had that blistering pace. Correct?

I'm not writing him off, but he was a lot more dangerous when he had that blistering pace. Correct?

He's just back from a career threatening inj. Correct?  ;)

If you count May, which was six months ago as recent, then yes.

If you count May which was six months ago recent then yes.

He needs more football. He'll never be back to his peak I agree, but I'm not saying anything about him till the end of the season. I owe him that courtesy.  blueyes.gif