5-a-side formations: what do you play?

Keefaz

Guest jimmy1982

can't have a formation in 5 a side, everyone goes all over the pitch. the only tactics are always pick someone up when you haven't got the ball, and if someone on your team is poor they're not allowed to try any dribbles or owt ambitious.

can't have a formation in 5 a side, everyone goes all over the pitch. the only tactics are always pick someone up when you haven't got the ball, and if someone on your team is poor they're not allowed to try any dribbles or owt ambitious.

Aye, in theory. I find that if people aren't given positions then you get badly disorganised and no one's providing any width.

played decent quality for 15 years and the best teams have a definite defender.

Guest jimmy1982

played decent quality for 15 years and the best teams have a definite defender.

Aye I can see that would probably be the best way to do it. I only play in summer to keep fitness up, and its always just a bit of a free for all with us, tactics-wise. Mind you I wouldn't class us as one of the best teams!

No real formation, you mark man-to-man for defense and do what you think is right for offense.  Have to play with people you trust/are familiar with if you want to do anything in 5-a-side.

why?

I can see his point. Because of how fluid it is, you have to know that if you go forward someone's going to cover the space behind you, or you're shafted. Too often, certainly with the folk I play with, people don't wake up quick enough during transitions so you get caught out 2 v 1 at the back because someone hasn't spotted that a player is stuck up field and they have to cover for him.

6-a-side makes so much more sense.

Not enough room on a 5-a-side pitch to play with 2 extra players. Unless you're very small.

Encourages better ball control and quicker passing, rather than lots of running.

People can actually have some set positions as well, in 5-a-side it's a free for all.

2-2-1 in a 6-a-side game.

One of our teams won a tourno in the summer with 1-3, whoever wins it holds it and the other two overlap and they played from there. They were the supposedly weaker side of the two aswell, it's funny how people can be shite in 11 a side and excellent in 5 a side. And vice versa, personally I'm awful at 5 a side, too tiring and too enclosed.

im better at 5 a side. otherwise some clown uses the grass as an excuse to jackie chan you off the ball.

we play the old 3-1 formation, overlapping wingbacks, one staying back to sweep

1-2-1 / 3-1 formation, not sure what you'd call it.

Best way to play it is.

One man, your paciest player ideally, up top at all times, rarely dropping back too far inside his own half. His job is to press the opposition when they have the ball, nothing too cavalier but not just goal-hanging either.

Leaving him up top will always give you the threat of one quick ball forward and an easy goal if the other team doesn't keep a good eye on him.

The 3 at the back then play in zones, one in the middle and one either side.

Going man-for-man is tricky as you can get dragged all over the place very easily. 5-a-side pitches are generally quite small so you'll never be too far from your teammates and thus won't leave much space for the opponents.

When you have the ball the two wide defenders become wingers/strikers and get forward to support the lone striker, while the centreback sort of hangs back and makes himself available for the easy pass for his teammates and can burst forward the odd time when a blatant chance develops.

You generally want your best player playing CB as he basically will dictate your playmaking and has to be able to read the game well, while you want a small pacey fucker up front.