Alves on his way to the Prem?

Dokko

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_2866902,00.html

Heerenveen coach Gertjan Verbeek has dismissed reports that striker Afonso Alves is certain to be leaving for England in January.

The Brazilian is regarded as one of the best strikers in Europe after scoring 44 goals in 35 league games for the Dutch club.

Middlesbrough and Manchester City are among the English teams reported to be interested in the striker.

He has recently broken into the Brazilian national side and came on as a substitute in the friendly against England at Wembley this summer.

Verbeek is keen to deny that Manchester City have made an official approach to the club and insists that no club has spoken to the player.

"The transfer window hasn't even opened yet, but the stream of reports are underway already. It's no fun, but that's how it is," he told Voetbal International.

"Journalists see a couple of scouts in the stands and Alves is sold immediately.

"Some newspapers even wrote that Man City have already paid us the transfer fee, but we must deny those reports.

"Before Heerenveen have an agreement with an interested club, they are not allowed to speak with Alves about a transfer.

"I do think, though, that not everyone keeps to those rules."

If we were in for him I'd be very wary about him taking into consideration the last 2 supposed 20+ goals a season strikers who have came over here in recent years.

Last year it was Dirk Kuyt and before him it was Kezman and they've well and truelly lit the premier league alight.

EDIT: bum hat, I was beaten to the Kesman comment (NOTE: learn to type faster).

Used to play in Sweden for Malmö FF. Sure, he can hack it in the dutch league, but he is not a player I'd like to see at Newcastle. He has a good shot and good technique, but no strenght or pace to get excited over. More suited for Spain than England. Let City have him and prove me wrong.

Used to play in Sweden for Malmö FF. Sure, he can hack it in the dutch league, but he is not a player I'd like to see at Newcastle. He has a good shot and good technique, but no strenght or pace to get excited over. More suited for Spain than England. Let City have him and prove me wrong.

Yep.

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

Nothing special tbh, every time I have seen him he hasnt impressed me. Most of these 'amazing forwards' coming out of the dutch league havent really cut it; Kezman and Kuyt etc. Of course, he could become a van nistelrooy but the chances of that are very small, brazilians playing in the dutch league at his age arent usually world beaters. You could do better imo with your money and reputation.

Who was better for Heerenveen, Alves or Huntelaar?

Samaras

:kasper:

There's been a Heerenveen fan posting on a City forum since we bought Samaras. He reckons Alves has been better for them than Huntelaar, Samaras, Tomasson or even van Nistelrooy was. Don't see it meself.

Guest kingdawson

Samaras

He was also actually pretty good at Heerenveen. Wenger wanted to sign him :lol:

Guest kingdawson

Samaras

There's been a Heerenveen fan posting on a City forum since we bought Samaras. He reckons Alves has been better for them than Huntelaar, Samaras, Tomasson or even van Nistelrooy was. Don't see it meself.

His goalscoring record speaks for itself. None of those managed that.