them 1-1 Us - 10/11/07 - Official match thread (Post-match reaction from p15)

midds

aye well by 2 seasons i mean 2 august transfer windows. i think it'd be unfair to sack him after just 1, but if after 2 we still don't play cometant footie i'll be dissapointed.

He'll have the January window to make some changes if he doesn't like what he's seeing and I can only think that his actions are telling us that he doesn't like much at the minute.  I'm more worried about him not being able to get the best out of what he's got at his disposal rather than what he's brought in.

Will take a point today, but we were a clear 2nd best. Looks like we went for the draw and through a bit of luck it's what we got. Our passing was disjointed, we again lacked width and the constant tinkering of the side from the manager is a bit of a concern. Doesn't allow us to get a settled side at all. Thought Barton was poor today and his kick out at Etuhu was asking for trouble. Had the ref seen that, he'd have been off.

Still, we showed a bit of character to pull level, so that's something at least.

I can imagine those who are calling for Big Sam's head are far better managers than him and have guided utter s**** into Europe. Nope, thought not. While we continue to give managers 5 months to turn around the club that could have been the next Leeds we will never get anywhere. FFs grab yourself some patience and learn to relax.

We've been patiently waiting to win something for almost 40 years, we've been patiently waiting to win a domestic trophy for more than 50 years and it's getting closer to the 100 year mark since we won a league title, I would think an 80 year wait is quite a while to be able to claim we've been more than patient.

So do you expect instant success from Sam then?

Owen.

Emre.

Viduka.

Zoggy.

The mackems have never in their entire history had a player within two bloody leagues of the class of these players. Man for man every single player (except GK) they have inferior players to NUFC.

I really cannot undertstand why people think its OK for us to go out and get dominated by the mackems. Right now we have a squad that shits all over them. It isn't just because its the derby, exact same argument Derby and Reading. Right now. And yet we get sent home tail between legs. WHY?

Because Allardyce has more skill and talent in those four players than he's ever had in his entire career and he has no idea how to use it. Sam clseems to have no desire/ability to use the talent of this squad away from home, and it is probably top 8 at best. That being the case, how is he the man to take us forward? What is the point of bringing in better talent in winter/next summer if he's just going to take it out to pride park and tell them to 'hold out lads, there's a point in this if we graft it'.

Lets face it, it isn't about instant success. It's about at this instant, Sam has a much much more talented squad than the bottom 8 teams at least, and he is showing little to no sign of being able to use it intelligently. He is making the same mistakes over and over again. I say give him the season, sure. But if by round 35 he is still going to bottom of the ladder and trying to graft out a point then can't we safely say he's out of his depth? Do we really need another 3 years of trying to turn michael owen into alan smith?

Great post. End of the day, we've got better players than a lot of Premiership teams (based on player quality alone I'd say we're top 6 material) yet we're struggling against so many of them. Ridiculous.

Maybe we're over-rating the quality of player we have. 

Are we? Owen, Emre, Geremi, Viduka (on his day), Given, N'Zogbia, Martins, Taylor (in my opinion), Enrique etc are all fine players and we've a number who on their day can be quality (Cacapa, Duff, Barton, Butt, Beye, Milner). Man for man we can match a lot of other clubs. Of course we're not top 4 level at all yet but surely you'd agree we've got a decent team in terms of individual players?

Baffling team selections, players out of position, negative and naive tactics, inviting pressure on ourselves. For the mackems, read Reading or Derby. We're being battered by poor teams, Allardyce needs to sort it tbh. And fuck 'kneejerking', this is becoming a trend.

spot on, sadly.

Emre is NOT a good player he proved that today when he bottled it big time

What you on about?

On about how he bottled every single challenge and i know that is not his game but still should get his foot in he pulled out of 3 challenges in the first half that led to Sunderland nearly scoring

His passing and set piece deliveries were poor also

Emre is NOT a good player he proved that today when he bottled it big time

What you on about?

On about how he bottled every single challenge and i know that is not his game but still should get his foot in he pulled out of 3 challenges in the first half that led to Sunderland nearly scoring

His passing and set piece deliveries were poor also

How does "bottling challenges" not make him a good player then? Emre did ok imo, looked like he wanted to play football.

Shit tatics from Allardyce? Who would of thought.

You can't say that!

Give him time etc etc. :giggle:

glad you think its funny.

Anyway, I bet Andy Gray's praise of Smith is pissing you right off   :clap:

I thought you didn't judge Smith when he played in midfield?

Oh, I don't. I already know he's an asset to the club. Still think your previous remark is funny ?

Why shouldn't I find it funny?

More shocking tactics and players played out of position yet people are still trying to justify what he's doing.

As for Smith, decent first half but done nothing in the second half except go on a run and tripping over his own feet. mackems.gif

why shouldn't you find it funny ? How sad. Pathetic in fact. Good supporter aren't you  :clap:

As pretty much everyone on here except you agrees Smith had a good game, it tells its own story.

You wanted Allardyce BTW, didn't you ?

aye well by 2 seasons i mean 2 august transfer windows. i think it'd be unfair to sack him after just 1, but if after 2 we still don't play cometant footie i'll be dissapointed.

He'll have the January window to make some changes if he doesn't like what he's seeing and I can only think that his actions are telling us that he doesn't like much at the minute.  I'm more worried about him not being able to get the best out of what he's got at his disposal rather than what he's brought in.

who will he sell ? And what will you say if he sells nobody and doesn't get the money ?

Baffling team selections, players out of position, negative and naive tactics, inviting pressure on ourselves. For the mackems, read Reading or Derby. We're being battered by poor teams, Allardyce needs to sort it tbh. And fuck 'kneejerking', this is becoming a trend.

spot on, sadly.

You could understand it if we had an injury crisis but he's been doing it all season, I could understand him inviting pressure if we had pace to hit them on the counter attack but we don't.

s*** tatics from Allardyce? Who would of thought.

You can't say that!

Give him time etc etc. :giggle:

glad you think its funny.

Anyway, I bet Andy Gray's praise of Smith is pissing you right off  :clap:

I thought you didn't judge Smith when he played in midfield?

Oh, I don't. I already know he's an asset to the club. Still think your previous remark is funny ?

Why shouldn't I find it funny?

More shocking tactics and players played out of position yet people are still trying to justify what he's doing.

As for Smith, decent first half but done nothing in the second half except go on a run and tripping over his own feet. mackems.gif

why shouldn't you find it funny ? How sad. Pathetic in fact.

As pretty much everyone on here except you agrees Smith had a good game, it tells its own story.

wouldn't say smith had a good game, would just say we wasn't complete shit. We need skill and guile (which sunderland showed more of today), not a hard worker with discipline problems. Decent back up option up front, but not a midfielder we should be using on a regular basis.

If he wanted Allardyce then that makes two of you so I'm not sure of your point.  I didn't want Allardyce but I expected better from him than we've seen so far.  I'm not going to write him off yet but so far it doesn't look good but getting something from today may be the corner that we needed to turn.

I can imagine those who are calling for Big Sam's head are far better managers than him and have guided utter s**** into Europe. Nope, thought not. While we continue to give managers 5 months to turn around the club that could have been the next Leeds we will never get anywhere. FFs grab yourself some patience and learn to relax.

We've been patiently waiting to win something for almost 40 years, we've been patiently waiting to win a domestic trophy for more than 50 years and it's getting closer to the 100 year mark since we won a league title, I would think an 80 year wait is quite a while to be able to claim we've been more than patient.

So do you expect instant success from Sam then?

Owen.

Emre.

Viduka.

Zoggy.

The mackems have never in their entire history had a player within two bloody leagues of the class of these players. Man for man every single player (except GK) they have inferior players to NUFC.

I really cannot undertstand why people think its OK for us to go out and get dominated by the mackems. Right now we have a squad that shits all over them. It isn't just because its the derby, exact same argument Derby and Reading. Right now. And yet we get sent home tail between legs. WHY?

Because Allardyce has more skill and talent in those four players than he's ever had in his entire career and he has no idea how to use it. Sam clseems to have no desire/ability to use the talent of this squad away from home, and it is probably top 8 at best. That being the case, how is he the man to take us forward? What is the point of bringing in better talent in winter/next summer if he's just going to take it out to pride park and tell them to 'hold out lads, there's a point in this if we graft it'.

Lets face it, it isn't about instant success. It's about at this instant, Sam has a much much more talented squad than the bottom 8 teams at least, and he is showing little to no sign of being able to use it intelligently. He is making the same mistakes over and over again. I say give him the season, sure. But if by round 35 he is still going to bottom of the ladder and trying to graft out a point then can't we safely say he's out of his depth? Do we really need another 3 years of trying to turn michael owen into alan smith?

Great post. End of the day, we've got better players than a lot of Premiership teams (based on player quality alone I'd say we're top 6 material) yet we're struggling against so many of them. Ridiculous.

Maybe we're over-rating the quality of player we have. 

Or maybe not. Look at some of the home performances those players have turned in this very season. The mackems do not have a single player who can even think up the kind of destruction unleashed by Zoggy and Emre at St James earlier this season, let alone have the skills/composure/brains to do it. As for Owen and Viduka, it isn't worth debating. Either you recognise they are world class, and Chopra and Jones are fit only to clean the toilet seat seat after they have graced it with a visit, or you don't. If you don't... I don't know. Maybe you're one of those strange beasts that would like to see Ameobi get another go.

I'm not saying we are playing with a bunch of potentional Champions league stars sitting around waiting for Marcello Lippi to come and guide them to the European championship. I'm just saying... christ. We are talking about Derby and the mackems here. Can there be any sane questioning of the quality difference?

The irony is I think Sam has done well in the transfer market, I can't really fault any of his buys. I just am waiting for him to show signs of knowing what to do with this talent he has amassed.

Why do Baggio and NE5 have to argue about Smith and/or the (old) board in every single thread?

I don't know, you tell me why Baggio keeps harping on about Smith being a poor replacement for Dyer when his best position is up front - and disregarding that today he was one of our best players, if not the best

If he wanted Allardyce then that makes two of you so I'm not sure of your point.  I didn't want Allardyce but I expected better from him than we've seen so far.  I'm not going to write him off yet but so far it doesn't look good but getting something from today may be the corner that we needed to turn.

I'm sure Baggio can answer for himself