Too many foreign players?

Parky

Steven Gerrard urges limit on foreign players

By Henry Winter and Tim Rich

Last Updated: 1:54am GMT 15/11/2007

Steven Gerrard, England's captain for tomorrow's friendly in Austria, said last night that he feared for the future of the national team if the Premier League did not introduce quotas to stimulate the development of young English talent.

England are struggling to qualify for Euro 2008, and two of the myriad reasons behind their troubles are the paucity of technically-adept, tactically-aware footballers coming through and then being given a chance in a Premier League crammed with gifted imports.

National plea: Steven Gerrard has called for Premier League quotas

"If foreigners do take over completely it will affect the national team even worse than maybe it is now,'" Gerrard said. "It's no good having one of the best Premier Leagues and a national team that's struggling. It's important to keep bringing quality players in - the likes of Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen - otherwise the national team will struggle.

"I am definitely all for quotas. I'm all for a rule change. Something has got to happen otherwise there will be more and more foreigners and they will take over. I'm desperate for another young English player to come through from the Liverpool Academy into the Liverpool team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=EUURIOETHXHSTQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/sport/2007/11/15/sfnfro115.xml

Steven Gerrard urges limit on foreign players

By Henry Winter and Tim Rich

Last Updated: 1:54am GMT 15/11/2007

Steven Gerrard, England's captain for tomorrow's friendly in Austria, said last night that he feared for the future of the national team if the Premier League did not introduce quotas to stimulate the development of young English talent.

England are struggling to qualify for Euro 2008, and two of the myriad reasons behind their troubles are the paucity of technically-adept, tactically-aware footballers coming through and then being given a chance in a Premier League crammed with gifted imports.

National plea: Steven Gerrard has called for Premier League quotas

"If foreigners do take over completely it will affect the national team even worse than maybe it is now,'" Gerrard said. "It's no good having one of the best Premier Leagues and a national team that's struggling. It's important to keep bringing quality players in - the likes of Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen - otherwise the national team will struggle.

"I am definitely all for quotas. I'm all for a rule change. Something has got to happen otherwise there will be more and more foreigners and they will take over. I'm desperate for another young English player to come through from the Liverpool Academy into the Liverpool team.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=EUURIOETHXHSTQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/sport/2007/11/15/sfnfro115.xml

Looking at the squads Arsenal are the worst.

Feeding the line into the media that will be used again next week if/when we fail to qualify. Damage limitation strategy for next week.

I reckon any competant manager would have got us qualification.

FYP

I'd prefer it if we set a minimum number of British players rather than limiting the foreigners. I know it's effectively the same thing but it reads better. :razz:

Make it a significant number and the clubs wouldn't be able to just fill the spots with shite.

Limiting the number of foreigners in the EPL will serve no other purpose than to turn one of the best leagues in the world into a league on a par with the German, French and Dutch leagues.

If English players were good/hungry enough then they would get a game.  Limiting the amount of foreigners would be burying the head in the sand, basically saying, "foreign players are better than ours so we'll just ban them and pretend they don't exist".  It's folly.

Investment in grass-roots kids football is the only way.

I also think that young professional players are paid too much too early.  A lot of them think they've made it when they're 21 because they've paid off their mortgage and drive a fast car.  Players need to retain their hunger, drive and ambition if they want to succeed at the highest level.

Limiting the number of foreigners in the EPL will serve no other purpose than to turn one of the best leagues in the world into a league on a par with the German, French and Dutch leagues.

If English players were good/hungry enough then they would get a game.  Limiting the amount of foreigners would be burying the head in the sand, basically saying, "foreign players are better than ours so we'll just ban them and pretend they don't exist".  It's folly.

Investment in grass-roots kids football is the only way.

I also think that young professional players are paid too much too early.  A lot of them think they've made it when they're 21 because they've paid off their mortgage and drive a fast car.  Players need to retain their hunger, drive and ambition if they want to succeed at the highest level.

I don't think limiting to 3 foreign players from outside the EU is that radical personally....I'd start with that.

the english players we have now are good enough to win the euros tbh. diddy club manager is the problem.

how will limiting the amount of foreigners make the english team better? surely if theres not enough decent english players its not the foreigners' fault?

the english players we have now are good enough to win the euros tbh. diddy club manager is the problem.

how will limiting the amount of foreigners make the english team better? surely if theres not enough decent english players its not the foreigners' fault?

Arsenal?

If we limit the number of foriegn players, english players won't have to play as well, improve, etc, to get in their club sides.

And we'd be even worse.

How good would Ashley Cole or someone like that be right now if they had been given a place by right at 18 without the threat of some johhny foreigner taking their place if they played shite.

If we limit the number of foriegn players, english players won't have to play as well, improve, etc, to get in their club sides.

And we'd be even worse.

How good would Ashley Cole or someone like that be right now if they had been given a place by right at 18 without the threat of some johhny foreigner taking their place if they played shite.

I repeat players from outside the EU zone. We would still  have plenty of Euro players.

We need more English players playing aborad

Too thick?

:giggle:

Tell you what, I bet a few foregin mangers look at the mental ability of some of our players and it puts them off.

Coleman doing great things as an ambassador in Spain at the moment

Was photographed by Hola coming out of a nightclub the other week and had to apologise to the president. You can take the lad out of the valley....

And we'd be even worse.

I repeat players from outside the EU zone. We would still  have plenty of Euro players.

Thats not how Gerrard or Steve Coppell or all these other little englanders would have it tho. They would just have English players. And theyre full of shite. The more competition a player has for his place, the better he'll be. Unless he can't earn his place, in which case he's shite so no big loss.

Problem is at the grassroots then Speccie?

No. The problem is the game is full of xenophobes who trot out this shite whenever England are in a slump.

There's nowt wrong really. Apart from the manager. And the perpetual notion that the England side should be selected almost entirely on the basis of club form.

Problem is at the grassroots then Speccie?

No. The problem is the game is full of xenophobes who trot out this shite whenever England are in a slump.

There's nowt wrong really. Apart from the manager. And the perpetual notion that the England side should be selected almost entirely on the basis of club form.

I'm kind of in agreement with the good doctor, on the other hand I do think that English players' wage demands cause a lot of it. We don't have any truly class foreigners in our squad, I think english players would be in if their foreign counterparts weren't significantly cheaper.

Never really understood why an average english player should demand more ££ than an average foreigner.

The Red Shite would be up shit creek without foreign players. A recent (Kent-based) RS on 606 was whining on that "the spine of the team" had not played together for a while, hence their not being 4 million points clear at the top of the league - and the "spine" he meant? Agger, Alonso, Torres.

Dunno how Carragher and "Stevie G, La" would feel about that, but thats the mindset of the RS fan.