Too many foreign players?

Parky

I think wage caps are a possible solution, i.e. each team is only allowed to spend a certain amount on wages. If worked out correctly, I can see a situation where the best players still come to the Premier League, but those mediocre foreigners who come to the Premier League for inflated wages will get pushed out and replaced with British players.

Could we get away with banning non-Brits without professional contracts? That would mean that clubs couldn't fill their academies with foreign prospects, forcing them to concentrate on the British crop.

I can't see any evidence that the post-Premiership influx of foreign players has weakened the England team. Quite the reverse. Our record of qualifying for major tournaments has improved in recent years.

The raising of the standards has meant that our own players have had to work harder to reach the top. Players like Ferdinand, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Terry, and Wright-Phillips are a class above the cloggers that we used to see in an England side.

I can't see any evidence that the post-Premiership influx of foreign players has weakened the England team. Quite the reverse. Our record of qualifying for major tournaments has improved in recent years.

The raising of the standards has meant that our own players have had to work harder to reach the top. Players like Ferdinand, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Terry, and Wright-Phillips are a class above the cloggers that we used to see in an England side.

Good post. Can't see what great advantage quotas wold give tbh.

On another note, people always talk abot EU law when it comes to employing foreigners, but cricket teams are only allowed 1 overseas player, why is that allowed if a similar law in football wouldn't be?

On another note, people always talk abot EU law when it comes to employing foreigners, but cricket teams are only allowed 1 overseas player, why is that allowed if a similar law in football wouldn't be?

Law only interested in employment rights of EU members, and maybe apart from a couple of Dutch players, no other Europeans play cricket of a county standard.

For me, before nationality quotas and wage structures are looked at, we need to get the number of substitutes up to seven, and perhaps enforce a rule that two players in the first 18 must be under-23 and played less than 50 competitive games.

Actually many county cricket teams are full of South Africans...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolpak_ruling

However the ECB incentivize teams who play more Englishmen.

Actually many county cricket teams are full of South Africans...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolpak_ruling

However the ECB incentivize teams who play more Englishmen.

Yeah, I knew of the Kolpack ruling but didn't know the ins and outs. Maybe some sort of incentive system would help football? Not sure really, don't know anything about how it works in cricket but it might encourage teams to blood more youngsters.

I personally thinking the coaching and management set up needs to be looked at. We only have 2 or 3 english managers who can be considered premier managers at decent level, and out of them SA is the most advanced. Wenger changed the premiership for the better and Mourihno took it to the next level. If the coaching and training of managers improved at grassroots then the rest will follow. We need apadtable intelligent managers. All this "too many foriegner" is bullshit and is being used to deflect criticism from where its needed, we have one the the best international squads in the world, and looking at potential effect of "too many foriegners" for the future is just a cynical attempt to cover the ineptitude of the current squad.

Personally dont think we are anywhere near being a top class international nation. Nowhere near the standard of player in key positions that we had in 1990 or 1996. The likes of Cole and SWP arent as good as Trevor Steven never mind Chrissy Waddle.

I find it very funny that Gerrard is talking about this.

Has he had his eyes shut while his own club manager has refused to give any opportunities to the English kids that won the Youth Cup two years in a row and instead bought in a load of foreign kids for millions in transfer fees?

Guest Sniffer

There's not too many foreign players.

T

here are too many shite foreign players, though, and we've had more than our share of them.

I am Newcastle fun first and foremost and the cap thing will restrain ourself as well imagin our lining up.

Given

Beye  Faye Rozy Enrique

N' zogbia  Emre Germi Duff

Viduka  Martins

No Englishman in this line up and inorder to close the gap to the big teams we still needs to sign top quality foreign player at least for the next couple of years. 

I genuinely believe this country is being swept away in what I can only describe as an absolute nonsense fear of foreign players, and gradually everyone seems to be getting caught up in this "mania" surrouding this apparent "damage" it is doing. This is despite the fact that there is no real evidence or logical explanation at HOW this is meant to cause a problem! This isn't the problem, and has nothing to do with the number of top class players in the Premier League. If anything , this is benefiting our own players who are getting the chance, week in week out to play and practice against the best in the world.

If this theory were true, why have we still finished below expectations so many times before this recent (and it is a very recent "phenomenon") uproar regarding imports? We didn't qualify for USA 94. At this point our foreign player limit was capped to 3. did this help?! What about every two years since 66, the majority of which we never had a single foreign player amongst our league teams!

Our players at the moment are as good as, or better than, we have ever had. Individually our players are amongs the best in the world, and have been at this level or similar (generally speaking) for decades. The problems are many things, lack of commitement, our best and most promising players being more like pop stars than footballers and are seriously lacking that grit and pride that their peers of the '66 World Cup winning team had, who didn't play for money but because they loved playing football. Our problems lie with our lack of balls and failure to finish teams off, play to our own strengths and try to play like Brazil when, in fact, we can't do this. A bit like how BS is trying to fit square pegs in round holes here. Our problems lie with the lack of cohesion and practice within a single squad of players, too much chopping and changing and we are almost like "the new boys" at the local 5 a side league who are learning the ropes. Our problems lay far and wide but has nothing to do with foreign players in my opinion.

I honestly believe that our English players, getting the chance to play at the highest level against the best opposition in the world is bringing our players on. Would the England team playing against a team of Robbie Savages lear more than an England team playing against Arsenal? It's a no brainer and this mania surrounding foreign players is based on a few people who are looking to point the finger at something other than the fact we just don't cut it.

I just don't understand why no-one asks why Bent cost 16 million , how many goals has he scored so far, 1? Carrick cost what 18 million? Is he worth that?  Was Jenas worth 8 million and so on and so on, SO why are English players so expensive? They're rarely as good as their foreign equivalents. No wonder clubs don't go after English players, expensive but not particularly world beaters, or even close.

Watching Portsmouth the other week the thought struck me, THIS is the future of English football, cheap, African players who love the game, who love having the chance to play the game they're good at and relish the chance at making a bit of money for themselves. They're also not up their own backsides like a list of the England players (take your pick from about 20).

I hope that this foreigners cap talk disappears and fast, if the English players are good enough they will rise to the top, perhaps if the greedy bastard agents drop their price a bit there might be more English players bought and sold.

If you ask me it's all jingositic, xenophobic nonsense with a teensy weensy bit of racism hoyed in for good measure.

Guest johnnyappleseed

it's not the agents fault why the cost of english players are so high. some agents represent foreign and domestic clients. the reason the cost of english players is so high is because some clubs are willing to pay a higher premium for english talent. it's the way of the free market. if every manager was like wenger the cost of english players would go down because the minute the price quoted is too high for him he will say "thanks, but no thanks i'll look elsewhere." bent went for 16m because tottenham were willing to spend 16m for him and if they weren't west ham would have and maybe some other team.

I dont understand the logic in payin premium for english players, i really cant, some of the prices quoted for some of the english players are ridiculous, i just cant understand who thought it would ever be a good idea to pay 16m for Bent when most of the world were thinking "crikey, 10 mill for Bent??  :shifty: bit steep"

what is it about english players that make them more expensive? Does anyone actually have a good idea as to why?

I dont understand the logic in payin premium for english players, i really cant, some of the prices quoted for some of the english players are ridiculous, i just cant understand who thought it would ever be a good idea to pay 16m for Bent when most of the world were thinking "crikey, 10 mill for Bent??  :shifty: bit steep"

what is it about english players that make them more expensive? Does anyone actually have a good idea as to why?

There are rules on the way. Look into it.

I know The Sun will be backing this campaign anyway..

"Foreigners to blame as England crash out!"

If an English kid was good enough, he'd get his chance.  Just so happens most of the time foreigners are better.

Personally I'm hoping for more of a "SEND THE BUGGERS BACK" sort of a headline.  :parky: :lol: