Scousers Whinging (Surprise Surprise)

Disco

MEGAlink

BBC says sorry as Eastenders sparks Hillsborough outrage

Nov 15 2007

by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo

HUNDREDS of people have complained to the BBC over comments made on EastEnders linking football hooligans and Hillsborough.

The BBC apologised for any offence the storyline had caused – or if the “remark was misinterpreted”.

By yesterday teatime the corporation had received almost 300 calls and e-mails protesting about the comments.

They came during a violent episode of the four-times-weekly soap, which itself attracted more than 150 complaints.

The Hillsborough row was sparked by a scene following a vicious gang attack on the soap’s Queen Vic pub, where hoodlums were searching for the character Jase, who is from Manchester.

Scriptwriters then introduced a storyline about his football hooligan past.

EastEnders mechanic Minty told him: “Five years out of Europe because of Heysel, because they pinned you lot in to stop you fighting on the pitch, and then what did we end up with – Hillsborough.”

A BBC spokeswoman said: “Minty was actually reminding Jase that football hooliganism at Heysel led directly to the fencing-in of fans at matches.

“He points out this had tragic consequences – for the innocent spectators at Hillsborough.

“The BBC apologises if this remark was misinterpreted or caused any offence.”

But Liverpool fans were not happy.

Jim Sharman, who runs the Red and White Kop site, said: “There might be grounds to justify referencing hooliganism to Heysel but it is, quite frankly and shamefully, rubbing everyone’s noses in it by linking onwards to Hillsborough.”

So unlike them as well. :rolleyes:

We all have a pop at Scousers for "whingeing" but they're f****** right when it comes to stuff about Hillsborough.

The stuff about Hillsbrough is often justified. Mind you this one's a bit soft. It's a fictional soap, they're the views and the lines of a fictional character.

Guest Brazilianbob

In a way I can understand the reaction of the scousers'.  I don't think I could handle the guilt of knowing my fellow fans in the ground had died because I was so desperate to get in that I pushed until they were crushed to death. Having said that, I don't think any one Liverpool fan could be singled out and accused of causing the tragedy by pushing to get in, but I do think it was more a case of collective blame on their part.  Unfortunately it is a blame that does not sit easily with them and so they accuse the easy target, the police and the authorities.  I do think it is a case of them protesting because they cannot shake off that element of blame they personally apportion to themselves in this sad affair.

BBC should feel chuffed that 300 people actually watch that dross.....

60/40 with the scousers on this one, if the script writers had just linked hooliganism and Heysel then nobody could have complained about it being factually wrong, but if (I didn't watch it) they then state it about Hillsborough then its no wonder they complained.

Guest Tiger Tony

they seem to come forward quick enough to complain about hillsbrough yet when a 11 year old is murdered they all go into hiding and tell the police nowt

The name of the killer is well known. If you don't know it I will quite gladly send you the name by PM if you are that interested. And I knew who it was well before the youtube thing got out.

Would you come forward if it put your life in risk, if the police's witness protection was inadequate and there was possibility of repercussions? Do you even know who this lad is being protected by? Doubt it.

The recent killing of Colin Smith, Curtis Warren's right hand man, has only added to gangland tensions. It simply is not a safe time to come forward in such a high profile case.

Everyone wants this lad to be thrown behind bars and eventually he will get caught. As soon as they find the bike or whatever and link DNA profiles he has had it. But for people to come forward is a dodgey issue and surely you can understand why some people have decided not to say too much as of yet? I would like to think I would come forward in those circumstances but if you have been warned off by certain people you have to think twice about it.

Guest Tiger Tony

In a way I can understand the reaction of the scousers'.  I don't think I could handle the guilt of knowing my fellow fans in the ground had died because I was so desperate to get in that I pushed until they were crushed to death. Having said that, I don't think any one Liverpool fan could be singled out and accused of causing the tragedy by pushing to get in, but I do think it was more a case of collective blame on their part.  Unfortunately it is a blame that does not sit easily with them and so they accuse the easy target, the police and the authorities.  I do think it is a case of them protesting because they cannot shake off that element of blame they personally apportion to themselves in this sad affair.

I suggest you read the Taylor report. It seems you are slightly misinformed there.

Exactly its a fictional soap.

Therefore there was no need for the scriptwriter to use Hillsborough (a real event where people died)in the storyline.

Don't really see your logic there. Does that mean world war two should never be mentioned or given reference to in anything other than WWII films? What about 9/11? It seems a bit of a strange line for the scriptwriters to come up with on a London-based soap, but we should remember that they make references to real tragic events all the time in fictional programmes and films.

Guest jimmy1982

Got no problem with them complaining about it really - it still touches a raw nerve and will for years and years. There wasn't really any need to mention it in the programme at all.

Guest Tiger Tony

I'd have a lot more sympathy for them if things like Athens didn't keep happening.

Was not the only time it happened I am sorry to say. People tried similar at Eindhoven in the quarter final. Only 1600 tickets and the tickets were identical to when we played them in the group stage which didn't help. One had 12-09-2006 the other had 03-04-2007, both tiny in the bottom corner. Apart from that they were carbon copies! Club screwed the independent travellers over (myself included) an gave all the tickets to official tours. So loads were trying (myself included) to get in on the group stage ticket. When I got fucked off, as everyone else did trying the same, I went to the bar. A group just tried to push the crowd forward but the away metal compound you go into at Eindhoven is as 'bunk proof' as you get. A couple of people at the front were lucky to not get seriously injured.

It pisses most of our fans off that these pricks wear the justice stickers etc then do this. Don't mind anyone trying to blag in but trying to force your way in is just stupid, not to mention potentially dangerous.

Same in Athens. One of our lads got in on a ripped up pepsi cup! But if he was stopped he would not have forced in. Just the same bunch of pricks who always do the forcing, knocking over women stewards and robbing tickets off their own fans, the 18-25 'fuck you I will do what I want' brigade. When people see this it is understandable that they think we are hypocrites. But it is these 18-25 gobshites who fuck things up. Our support has gone downhill since Istanbul, particularly the 'big' euro aways such as Barca etc where every twat comes out the woodwork and behaves like a tool! Also this aggression amongst scouse lads to non local supporters who have 'robbed their ticket'.

So yes these knobheads don't exactly help.

However while I don't condone what these people did in Athens, a proper stadium that actually had turnstiles and proper ticket checks would have sorted it out. We have acknowledged our part of the blame. Just a shame UEFA don't fuckin acknowledge theirs. a, by choosing a stadium with unfit security procedures b, holding it in a tin pot country again just like they are this season and c, the corporate hijack of tickets which created that situation. Does not excuse the behaviour of these knobheads. But if the tickets were given to the two teams involved in the match, then that would not have happened. And to think it was nearly Man U v Liverpool final! Would have been ten times as bad!

Guest Tiger Tony

I'm not trying to win as such. I was agreeing with the post above me that with certain elements of support behaving the way they do, in particular Athens, it is understandable why people laugh at the justice campaign.

I was just saying that it is these groups of ignorant little scrots who have an attitude when in big numbers. Also that UEFA can not possibly absolve themselves of any blame for the Athens fiasco. They are responsible for a fair slice of it.

Sorry to say it, and I'm sure you're not bothered, but you won't win on here mate.

Doesn't look like he's trying to, if you're on about the post before yours. Looks pretty honest to me.

I didn't really read it to be honest. I just know how many people on here have strong opinions on Hillsborough etc, and usually Liverpool fans have the exact opposite views. Normally leads to slanging matches.

Apologies Tony.

Therefore there was no need for the scriptwriter to use Hillsborough (a real event where people died)in the storyline.

Don't really see your logic there. Does that mean world war two should never be mentioned or given reference to in anything other than WWII films? What about 9/11? It seems a bit of a strange line for the scriptwriters to come up with on a London-based soap, but we should remember that they make references to real tragic events all the time in fictional programmes and films.

Do you think a storyline in Eastenders slagging off the victims of auschwitz would be acceptable in order to get ratings?

Do you think a storyline in Eastenders slagging off the victims of auschwitz would be acceptable in order to get ratings?

Irrelevant, Eastenders hasn't been slagging off those killed at Hillsbrough, or anybody there that day. I don't understand the furore, here. Its quite clear if the above is read, "they've" slagged off those who caused Heysel and said look what came of it - to stop such things happening, measures were taken that resulted in the deaths of nearly a hundred innocents.