Capello confirmed as new England manager

kirkwdavis2001
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For some reason Skybet have suspended the betting on Capello?

I'm gonna stick some money on Big Sam @ 20/1.

I think he could be tempted after openly showing his hand the last time and being turned down and he's not had any public assurances from Ashley that he's the man he wants. Might have been told privately like but I reckon it's worth a dabble at 20's.

Out of interest if you bet on Shearer and he was appointed as part of the management team. For example the F.A decided to appoint Venables and Shearer to jointly manage England would the bookies pay out?

He might not be a bad bet at 12's.

Guest Ridzuan

I would love to see Shearer replacing him but I think its a little too soon for him to take the post because you are talking about England and having no managerial experience before,managing England would be a huge task.If he didnt do well with England,then I think many people would have written him off as having a successful career as a manager and I dont want to see that happening.So I hope someone else more experienced will take over.

Guest justin99.

Surely they couldn't give Shearer the job, he has no experience.

Mourinho would probably get his family beat up if he took the job.

As I see it, there are five scenarios:

a) We appoint an established manager in the European leagues with a proven track record: Capello, Mourinho, or Lippi

b) We appoint one of the better Premier League managers, ie someone who understands the English mentality: O'Neill, Allardyce, Mourinho

c) We appoint a manager who has a good track record at managing international sides: Hiddink, Lippi, Beerhakker (sic), Scolari

d) We go down the route of other countries and appoint a national hero like Van Basten, Klinnsman or Billic: Shearer, Pearce

e) We decide we are best waiting for Euro 2008 to end before going for a) b) or c), so we appoint d) in an interim role, then kneejerk when we beat an experimental France team 1-0 and go the full hog.

What would people think of 'Arry?

He is a name I had thought of, I'm very uncertain though about how he'd do, as the players he likes to play aren't necessary the players available for England. And I'd be a little put off by the fact that he is Lampard's Uncle.

He'd either be a great success or a disaster I reckon.

The more i think about it, the more i'd like Shearer tbh. I'm not a major England fan, so i'm not too bothered about the success of the team itself, but it'd be great to see how he'd do. Like i said in another thread, it'd certainly rekindle interest from my, and i can imagine a few others on here, perspectives. It'd be marvellous to see him do well.

Jose Mourinho is not the man.

Not unless we want the team centred around Lampard, reliant on hoofing it up to a big centre forwared, and thoroughly outclassed every time it comes against a technically superior opponent, just like Chelsea in europe. The guy has presence, but he's one of the most overrated managers ever as a result.

The man for the job is blatantly Scolari. Proven sucess in international football. We'll need a caretaker for 8 months or so - hopefully someone absolutely clueless who has no chance of usurping Big Phil. (Me tbh.)

Only doubt in my mind is would an outsider by ignorant of the performances of Gerrard, Lampard, Barry and Hargreaves, and not realise what team he should be picking.

If there's one manager who i think could get Lampard's international career back on track, and employ him so that he is effective, it's Mourinho. :undecided: I can't really see how that's an argument against appointing him.

If there's one manager who i think could get Lampard's international career back on track, and employ him so that he is effective, it's Mourinho. :undecided: I can't really see how that's an argument against appointing him.

Lampard doesnt merit such treatment. After 4 years of utter pish, he should be brushed aside, not made the heart and soul of the side.

Lampard doesnt merit such treatment. After 4 years of utter pish, he should be brushed aside, not made the heart and soul of the side.

Well, usually i wouldn't disagree, i'm sick of Lampard. But if it were Mourinho, it'd be a bit different i would have thought.

Well, usually i wouldn't disagree, i'm sick of Lampard. But if it were Mourinho, it'd be a bit different i would have thought.

For me getting owt out of Lampard is the only "for" I can think of Mourinho beyond the obvious competence. There are other managers with more ticks in more boxes (Scolari!!!). Choosing Mourinho ahead of other candidates (Scolari...) because of that...well. It would be a little silly.

Guest LucaAltieri

For England or for Chelsea as well? I'll be honest, I don't watch him for Chelsea, but his stats look good. I know they can be misleading. If someone did decide to build the team around him or play a similar system to Chelsea, and that got results, of course I'd be all for it - as much as I dislike fat Frank.

On the subject of building a team around our top player(s), who should we be focusing on? Whose strengths do we need to play to? Rooney? Owen? Gerrard?

For me getting owt out of Lampard is the only "for" I can think of Mourinho beyond the obvious competence. There are other managers with more ticks in more boxes (Scolari!!!). Choosing Mourinho ahead of other candidates (Scolari...) because of that...well. It would be a little silly.

I'm not saying that i'd have Mourinho purely because he could rejuvinate Lampard. I was just pointing it out as an odd reason to suggest not appointing him...

I'd have Mourinho because he's a really good, successful manager.

Gerrard has been absolute shit for England recently aswell though, but he somehow avoids the same criticism Lampard gets.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

Gerrard has been absolute shit for England recently aswell though, but he somehow avoids the same criticism Lampard gets.

I know what you mean about Gerrard like.  He always gives the ball away trying to pass the ball 676 million miles.  SIMPLE FUCKING PASS YOU SPACKER.

I know what you mean about Gerrard like.  He always gives the ball away trying to pass the ball 676 million miles.  SIMPLE FUCKING PASS YOU SPACKER.

He's Super Stevie G though, immune from criticism.

A big problem for England is that we don't retain possession enough and while Gerrard is a good player he is one of the worst culprits with his attempt to play wonder passes all the time. Gets away with it in the Premier League but you get crucified if you keep giving the ball away against good international teams.

I'm not saying that i'd have Mourinho purely because he could rejuvinate Lampard. I was just pointing it out as an odd reason to suggest not appointing him...

I'd have Mourinho because he's a really good, successful manager.

No he isn't. Succesful, yes. But he's not really good.

I've had enough too. I'm in favour of easing both of them out.