Capello confirmed as new England manager

kirkwdavis2001
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Capello's the best manager of the last 20 or so years man, it's a joke that some people wouldn't want him.

People like Real Madrid fans.

I've nothing against Capello but I can picture the media and some fans getting on his back if England 'only' win 1-0 and moaning that the team is too defensive.

Aren't England fans a bit like the stereotype Newcastle fan in that we all like attacking football above all else? The football played by Jose Mourinho, Fabio Capello and Marcello Lippi's teams isn't gung-ho enough for some. Real Madrid are said to have sacked Fabio Capello because the fans didn't like the way his team played (even though they won the title). It will be interesting to see what happens if one of the Italians gets the job.

Thats what I was thinking too.

I can't imagine Capello bringing entertaining football. I would've thought Barwick would've had that down as a prerequisite given the poor showing lately.

Entertaining football? We should be concerned about qualifying first before thinking about entertaining the crowd.

Entertaining football isnt feasible with the current group of players imo - strong defenders, physical and clinical midfielders/attackers, but no quality on the ball for that level.

Thats why Svenn's England team were so defensive. He tried playing to the strengths of his squad of players - strong defense, clinical finishing goal, etc. Maybe he had his team sit back too much, and he failed to correct the inbalance in the midfield, but even if he had corrected those two errors, there wouldnt be any entertaining football. The only alternative if the aim is to liven things up is to play with a more open and attacking mentality, and since we dont have the individual players capable of maintaining possession, that would result in a suicidal gameplan against a side that can keep the ball - itd be like giving them the ball then stepping aside and creating an opening down the middle for them to run in on the keeper.

Capello, Mourinho or Lippi would be good choices because theyre capable of coaching teams that can primarily shut the opposition out, whilst still doing enough in games to score goals, installing a disciplined style of play without their teams going all out defense as with Svenn - and theyve done it at the highest levels, so theyre able to handle the pressure. We have the players suited to that type of style and mentality, so with the current group of players, that is our best bet.

As an example, look at England under Keegan, arguably the most attack minded manager the Premiership has seen in the previous half decade before he took over. There was the odd friendly or qualifier where his team looked good and scored goals, but why did we not play entertaining football under him especially when it mattered, ie the finals? Quite clearly it was due to lacking the players to do so, and since he was never going to coach a structured, disciplined team, the inevitable result was mediocrity.

Aren't England fans a bit like the stereotype Newcastle fan in that we all like attacking football above all else? The football played by Jose Mourinho, Fabio Capello and Marcello Lippi's teams isn't gung-ho enough for some. Real Madrid are said to have sacked Fabio Capello because the fans didn't like the way his team played (even though they won the title). It will be interesting to see what happens if one of the Italians gets the job.

I can't imagine Capello bringing entertaining football. I would've thought Barwick would've had that down as a prerequisite given the poor showing lately.

Entertaining football? We should be concerned about qualifying first before thinking about entertaining the crowd.

I disagree. When you take the last qualifying campaign as an example we should have pissed qualification and done so by playing good football hence crowd entertainment.

We're shit to watch which is another reason the crowd didn't take to McClaren. He got a decent response early doors (first few friendlies) when we played some decent stuff.

When that stopped, the crowd's initial warmth deteriorated.

Eventually it was icy cold but playing good, attractive football would've helped the last manager and the players confidence.

Entertaining football isnt feasible with the current group of players imo - strong defenders, physical and clinical midfielders/attackers, but no quality on the ball for that level.

Thats why Svenn's England team were so defensive. He tried playing to the strengths of his squad of players - strong defense, clinical finishing goal, etc. Maybe he had his team sit back too much, and he failed to correct the inbalance in the midfield, but even if he had corrected those two errors, there wouldnt be any entertaining football. The only alternative if the aim is to liven things up is to play with a more open and attacking mentality, and since we dont have the individual players capable of maintaining possession, that would result in a suicidal gameplan against a side that can keep the ball - itd be like giving them the ball then stepping aside and creating an opening down the middle for them to run in on the keeper.

Capello, Mourinho or Lippi would be good choices because theyre capable of coaching teams that can primarily shut the opposition out, whilst still doing enough in games to score goals, installing a disciplined style of play without their teams going all out defense as with Svenn - and theyve done it at the highest levels, so theyre able to handle the pressure. We have the players suited to that type of style and mentality, so with the current group of players, that is our best bet.

As an example, look at England under Keegan, arguably the most attack minded manager the Premiership has seen in the previous half decade before he took over. There was the odd friendly or qualifier where his team looked good and scored goals, but why did we not play entertaining football under him especially when it mattered, ie the finals? Quite clearly it was due to lacking the players to do so, and since he was never going to coach a structured, disciplined team, the inevitable result was mediocrity.

I see what you're saying but in the current squad the following players are all capable of playing freeflowing and attractive football;

Rio (footballing centre half)

Ashley Cole (See Arsenal days when he was best in Europe)

Micah Richards (looks comfortable with the ball at his feet)

Joe Cole (good passer of the ball and quality link-up player)

Gerrard (Engine room but can instigate things across the park - rarely loses possession)

Lampard (Perhaps?)

Rooney (Whilst he's very physical, he's also got a great footballing mind and can create as well as finish).

With that core and others to come in over the next qualification term I believe we could and should be playing good football.

Generally entertaining and successful football come hand in hand. Even the successful teams that play more defensively than they could do, are still generally entertaining to watch.

Some people don't seem to understand that there is a difference between playing defensively and playing, well, s***.

Can't believe the tits voting on the SSN's saying that 64% of them do not want Capello.

:lol:

From McClaren to Capello, jesus wept, if ever there was a gulf in class; yet people are calling for Redknapp!  mackems.gif

Oh how my sides hurt. Twats.

Capello's the best manager of the last 20 or so years man, it's a joke that some people wouldn't want him.

People like Real Madrid fans.

I've nothing against Capello but I can picture the media and some fans getting on his back if England 'only' win 1-0 and moaning that the team is too defensive.

Madrid fans are pillocks though IMO.

Can't believe the tits voting on the SSN's saying that 64% of them do not want Capello.

From McClaren to Capello, jesus wept, if ever there was a gulf in class; yet people are calling for Redknapp!  mackems.gif

Unreal.

Unreal.

Its crazy. The round up of his career on SSN's 'He started here, won 4 titles, then moved here, his stay was short, he won the league, then he moved to a club which had won nowt for 30 years, he won 2 titles, then he left won another two titles, then he moved on again back to that club which was in chaos and somehow he won another title' But no, lets go for Redknapp who went there, got sacked, went here, left after a few games, went here, saved a club from relegation and who's career highlight is finishing 5th with on of the best young English squads we've seen this millennium.

Redknapp it is then eh?

Fuking plums.

Lippi has a better CV and used to bum Ferguson in the face regularly in the 90s. He also believes in players expressing themselves, not sub-suming the individual within the system à la Capello.

Lippi is my choice.

Lippi has a better CV and used to bum Ferguson in the face regularly in the 90s. He also believes in players expressing themselves, not sub-suming the individual within the system à la Capello.

Lippi is my choice.

Lippi only has a better CV though because he's previously managed at International level, if we're talking about club level Capello's all the way. Capello has never failed though wherever he has been, under any circumstance he has always come out on top.

I wouldn't exactly say that Italy in the last World Cup barring perhaps the Germany game played any outstanding attacking football as well.

Lippi is my choice.

Lippi only has a better CV though because he's previously managed at International level, if we're talking about club level Capello's all the way. Capello has never failed though wherever he has been, under any circumstance he has always come out on top.

I wouldn't exactly say that Italy in the last World Cup barring perhaps the Germany game played any outstanding attacking football as well.

Not that many outstanding attacking players, or not playing to their best anyway. Cannavaro was by far their best player, their defence was their greatest strength so they played counter-attacking football.

Lippi will sit better with the fans and he has more chance of getting them onside.

Lippi is my choice.

Not that many outstanding attacking players, or not playing to their best anyway. Cannavaro was by far their best player, their defence was their greatest strength so they played counter-attacking football.

Lippi will sit better with the fans and he has more chance of getting them onside.

Our defence is out best asset as well I feel, so Capello could manage around that.

Wouldn't complain though at either being appointed.  blueyes.gif

Capello will take no shit from the players. I can't wait until one one of ours tries to have a word with him, and he retorts that they are an ugly cunt and their face looks like a penis (what he said to Di Canio when he was whinging on about being subbed).

Because we are looking at improving our youth setup, I'd be against Lippi while other candidates are available because he smokes, and I believe that the person at the top needs to be setting good examples of health and fitness.

Because we are looking at improving our youth setup, I'd be against Lippi while other candidates are available because he smokes, and I believe that the person at the top needs to be setting good examples of health and fitness.

Surpassed yourself.  :thup:

I get really angry with this "entertaining football" talk. I want to win and don´t care how we do it, not in England and not in Newcastle.

How people in Madrid think I don´t care but I can understand a little bit that they want to have entertaining football. But not here!!!

England nor Newcastle has won anything in years, years and YEARS! Still people rather play good football and lose with 3-4 rather playing boring good defence and win with 1-0.

Madrid has won alot. We have not win in decede.

End of discussion!

It´s just unbelievable!!!

Fantastic stuff.

Fantastic stuff.

Got to be a wind up....

And I wanted Cappello over Mourinho, so I'm happy.

Hmmm...

You have to be doing this on purpose. Absolute plank. :lol:

you have to be joking

You need someone who's going to keep faith in their own judgement and ideas when the going is tough and every journalist in the country is shouting how crap you are. Capello seems the kind of stubborn character who can handle it.

Plus he wants it.