Would you trust Allardyce with Ashley's money?

stozo

All of that is true, but the real question is: why?

We've seen what he can do, at Bolton, why is he behaving so strangely here?

If we can't figure out why good managers - and we have had some! - continually fail here, then we're f***** for all eternity.

Did Allardyce get Bolton relegated?

Who are the good managers who have failed?  And, why did they fail?

No. (What was the point of asking that?)

Dalglish, although I didn't want him at the time, had an excellent track record.

Gullit, had achieved success with Chelsea.

Robson, as much as I love the bloke, had a hard time of it at points and although I wouldn't, many people would say he failed here in the end.

It's arguable that even Keegan failed ultimately, in that he never delivered on the trophy that the quality of the team he built probably deserved.

Certainly, it seems that it is harder for a manager to be successful here than it is elsewhere for some reason, why do you think that is?

I don't know why they failed, that's what I'm asking.

All of that is true, but the real question is: why?

We've seen what he can do, at Bolton, why is he behaving so strangely here?

If we can't figure out why good managers - and we have had some! - continually fail here, then we're f***** for all eternity.

Did Allardyce get Bolton relegated?

Who are the good managers who have failed?  And, why did they fail?

Dagliesh and Robson for a start would be good managers who failed to win anyhting and were eventually sacked. EvenGullit and Souness came with a track record of winning trophies at other clubs.

Fact is if were are all as inpatient as a large portion of the fans at St James' today we'll never get what we want. We desperately need stability and to give time to Sam to get it right and I for one don't expect anything from this season other than not to get relegated, this season is all about transition and if we're in the same position this time next season then we can even start contemplating a change in manager. Anything before that is simply madness.

This is where all level-headed individuals who can see the bigger picture and beyond some poor performances and results need to stand up and be counted.

Dalglish, although I didn't want him at the time, had an excellent track record.

Robson, as much as I love the bloke, had a hard time of it at points and although I wouldn't, many people would say he failed here in the end.

It's arguable that even Keegan failed ultimately, in that he never delivered on the trophy that the quality of the team he built probably deserved.

Certainly, it seems that it is harder for a manager to be successful here than it is elsewhere for some reason, why do you think that is?

I'll answer the first one with a  :-[ then a  :lol:, my stupidity.

The only answer possible is that they were the wrong managers, Dalglish had everything at hand to do something at this club but he couldn't do it because he wasn't up to it.  He can't blame anybody but himself as he was given a team that just needed tweaking and I'm sure if we'd managed to get or waited for Bobby Robson then we'd have gone on to have better times.  I don't see Robson or Keegan as failures because of what they took over and what they left us with so I don't see any reason other than the wrong people getting the job.  Keegan and Robson were both here a good while because they were up to the job and good enough to carry it off, the others were not.

Dagliesh and Robson for a start would be good managers who failed to win anyhting and were eventually sacked. EvenGullit and Souness came with a track record of winning trophies at other clubs.

Fact is if were are all as inpatient as a large portion of the fans at St James' today we'll never get what we want. We desperately need stability and to give time to Sam to get it right and I for one don't expect anything from this season other than not to get relegated, this season is all about transition and if we're in the same position this time next season then we can even start contemplating a change in manager. Anything before that is simply madness.

This is where all level-headed individuals who can see the bigger picture and beyond some poor performances and results need to stand up and be counted.

I'll not comment about the managers as I've done it above.

Our problems are because of the manager, I'd agree about giving him time if it was in spite of him but it isn't, he's creating his own problems and is displaying the same traits as the last two managers.  He appears to be clueless as Roeder and I didn't expect to be saying that about him.

Maybe he will adjust, I think we'll know one way or the other by the end of the season.

I'll answer the first one with a  :-[ then a  :lol:, my stupidity.

The only answer possible is that they were the wrong managers, Dalglish had everything at hand to do something at this club but he couldn't do it because he wasn't up to it.  He can't blame anybody but himself as he was given a team that just needed tweaking and I'm sure if we'd managed to get or waited for Bobby Robson then we'd have gone on to have better times.  I don't see Robson or Keegan as failures because of what they took over and what they left us with so I don't see any reason other than the wrong people getting the job.  Keegan and Robson were both here a good while because they were up to the job and good enough to carry it off, the others were not.

Dangerously close to sounding like what NE5 has said. :o

;)

Our problems are because of the manager, I'd agree about giving him time if it was in spite of him but it isn't, he's creating his own problems and is displaying the same traits as the last two managers.  He appears to be clueless as Roeder and I didn't expect to be saying that about him.

Maybe he will adjust, I think we'll know one way or the other by the end of the season.

That's basically my feelings, Mick. I pray that he'll come around, learn from this and we can move forward. I have my doubts, but as you say, we'll have a clearer picture at the end of the season.

Me neither and that's what's confused me. Why has Sam, a good and sensible manager, gone mental now that he's here? It can only be the club in someway, can't it? The pressure from the fans perhaps? Their demand for instant success despite having to rebuild the damage of the two previous managers who left the squad in a right mess, not to mention the state of the club in general?

Sam is an infinitely better manager than Souness or Roeder, yet he's getting even less time to be successful from the fans than either of them did. It's getting to the point where only someone like Mourinho, who doesn't give a shit what people think, could be successful here because he'd totally ignore what the fans thought and do what he knew was best. Souness was a bit like that, unfortunately he was also shit.

Me neither and that's what's confused me. Why has Sam, a good and sensible manager, gone mental now that he's here? It can only be the club in someway, can't it? The pressure from the fans perhaps? Their demand for instant success despite having to rebuild the damage of the two previous managers who left the squad in a right mess, not to mention the state of the club in general?

Sam is an infinitely better manager than Souness or Roeder, yet he's getting even less time to be successful from the fans than either of them did. It's getting to the point where only someone like Mourinho, who doesn't give a s*** what people think, could be successful here because he'd totally ignore what the fans thought and do what he knew was best. Souness was a bit like that, unfortunately he was also s***.

I don't think it's got anything to do with the club.  I blame the fans, not in the way some have in the match thread but in other ways.  I don't think many clubs have fans like ours and I've lived around a bit and never experienced anywhere where so much of people’s lives revolve around the football club.

I think we have a club which requires either instant success or a manager like Keegan and Robson, people who both lived and slept football, even Keegan left us emotionally drained.  I think if you love and live football then this is one of the best places in the world to work as either player or manager.  If you want to train for a few hours a day, turn up for the match then disappear again then it's the worst place.

We need a good manager who lives for football, if they don't then they'll need to adapt or fail.

Edit, you're right, a manager who didn't give a shit would probably work as long as he was good at his job.

Me neither and that's what's confused me. Why has Sam, a good and sensible manager, gone mental now that he's here? It can only be the club in someway, can't it?

He hasn't suddenly gone mental, nothing has changed with him at all in fact and that's the main problem.  He still seems to believe he's at Bolton, he still tries to get his team to play the same way Bolton played.  Only now he doesn't have the right kind of players to make that work.  I'm sure given time and money he can be just as successful here as he was a Bolton, but do we want that?  Yeah we might be finishing in the top 6, but that's as high as we can ever finish with that kind of team (forget about Europe as well).  I certainly don't want that.  The next manager will have to rip the side appart and start all over again..

Sam is an infinitely better manager than Souness or Roeder, yet he's getting even less time to be successful from the fans than either of them did. It's getting to the point where only someone like Mourinho, who doesn't give a s*** what people think, could be successful here because he'd totally ignore what the fans thought and do what he knew was best. Souness was a bit like that, unfortunately he was also s***.

I don't think it's got anything to do with the club.  I blame the fans, not in the way some have in the match thread but in other ways.  I don't think many clubs have fans like ours and I've lived around a bit and never experienced anywhere where so much of people’s lives revolve around the football club.

I think we have a club which requires either instant success or a manager like Keegan and Robson, people who both lived and slept football, even Keegan left us emotionally drained.  I think if you love and live football then this is one of the best places in the world to work as either player or manager.  If you want to train for a few hours a day, turn up for the match then disappear again then it's the worst place.

We need a good manager who lives for football, if they don't then they'll need to adapt or fail.

Edit, you're right, a manager who didn't give a shit would probably work as long as he was good at his job.

I'd agree with that to the extent that I think both Keegan and Robson were given much more leeway by the fans than anyone else has had and it's no coincidence that they have been our most successful managers if you ask me. I'm not trying to say that's the only reason, before anyone starts, but they at least got the time to put in place at least part of their vision for NUFC, whereas others didn't. It also took the pressure off them to achieve instant success, which is what I think might be a big factor in Sam's erratic behaviour so far. He needs to have take a deep breath get some self-confidence back and go out and do what he wants to do, regardless of the reaction. Otherwise, he'll end up losing his job without ever having given it his best shot. To be able to do this though he needs to have faith that the board will resist the pressure from the fans for long enough for his policies to have an effect. I feel that he doesn't have this confidence and that's another reason for his erratic behaviour.

The state of the club is such that no manager could come here and be successful straight away, if that isn't accepted by the board and the fans and they are judged as if it was easily possible, as they nearly always are, then no-one will ever be able to turn things 'round and we'll always be shit.

Fair enough, fans are always fickle, they demand success instantly, but the board needs to have some balls and understand the reality of the situation. They need to find who they believe is the right man for the job and stick with him through thick and thin and in-spite of what the fans think. If the board think that man's Sam then they need to convince him that's what they think, if it isn't they need to get that person and behave accordingly.

If they don't think Sam's the man, but can't get the person they think is the man, then they need to put that aside and try and convince Sam that they do think he's the man because the better he does then the more likely they are to be able to attract the right man for the job in the future.

I'd agree with that to the extent that I think both Keegan and Robson were given much more leeway by the fans than anyone else has had and it's no coincidence that they have been our most successful managers if you ask me. I'm not trying to say that's the only reason, before anyone starts, but they at least got the time to put in place at least part of their vision for NUFC, whereas others didn't. It also took the pressure off them to achieve instant success, which is what I think might be a big factor in Sam's erratic behaviour so far. He needs to have take a deep breath get some self-confidence back and go out and do what he wants to do, regardless of the reaction. Otherwise, he'll end up losing his job without ever having given it his best shot. To be able to do this though he needs to have faith that the board will resist the pressure from the fans for long enough for his policies to have an effect. I feel that he doesn't have this confidence and that's another reason for his erratic behaviour.

The state of the club is such that no manager could come here and be successful straight away, if that isn't accepted by the board and the fans and they are judged as if it was easily possible, as they nearly always are, then no-one will ever be able to turn things 'round and we'll always be s***.

Fair enough, fans are always fickle, they demand success instantly, but the board needs to have some balls and understand the reality of the situation. They need to find who they believe is the right man for the job and stick with him through thick and thin and in-spite of what the fans think. If the board think that man's Sam then they need to convince him that's what they think, if it isn't they need to get that person and behave accordingly.

If they don't think Sam's the man, but can't get the person they think is the man, then they need to put that aside and try and convince Sam that they do think he's the man because the better he does then the more likely they are to be able to attract the right man for the job in the future.

Agreed with all of that but have to add that Keegan and Bobby were given time because people knew they would improve us as a team and club, I don't feel that way about Allardyce.  If he had a settled team and tactics then I'd be happier that he knew what he was doing, I don't have that confidence.

The state of the club is such that no manager could come here and be successful straight away, if that isn't accepted by the board and the fans and they are judged as if it was easily possible, as they nearly always are, then no-one will ever be able to turn things 'round and we'll always be s***.

Agreed with all of that but have to add that Keegan and Bobby were given time because people knew they would improve us as a team and club, I don't feel that way about Allardyce.  If he had a settled team and tactics then I'd be happier that he knew what he was doing, I don't have that confidence.

They didn't know, they believed. A strong belief yes, but still a belief, not a fact.

I believed that Sam would improve us as team and a club from where we were after Souness and Roeder, but I knew that it would take time for any changes to take affect. I have to admit that I'd have thought the team would have improved beyond where we find ourselves today by now, but I still believe that it will, given time. As for the club, well what exactly has happened to that? I'm surprised that we've not heard of more appointments and developments behind the scenes than we have by now, where are the legions of people that we expected, where are all the specialists and experts that Sam had at Bolton? Have they crept into the club under my nose because I haven't seen them arrive and I wonder why? The nature of football (transfer windows and the like) makes it harder to build the squad you want, but surely the behind the scenes staff should be nearing completion by now, shouldn't it? If not, you have to ask: why not?

I think the worry for me isn't so much whether I'd trust him to spend the money (I still think the likes of Roze, Enrique etc) will turn out to be decent long term buys.

However, the worry for me is more about how he's turning out the current first team.

They seem to have no gameplan, set formation, direction or will to put their bollocks on the line.

SIX of the eleven today we're Allardyce buys.

The worry for me, and the minimum I thought we'd get when we appointed Sam, is the lack of organisation and commitment.

At Bolton, he used what he had really well. They were strong, committed, organised and never knew when they were beaten. We don't look like any of that.

So, in my opinion, he'll probably not let us down in the market - the question for me is can he use what he has effectively? and can he get us results?

Those are the key questions.

They didn't know, they believed. A strong belief yes, but still a belief, not a fact.

I believed that Sam would improve us as team and a club from where we were after Souness and Roeder, but I knew that it would take time for any changes to take affect. I have to admit that I'd have thought the team would have improved beyond where we find ourselves today by now, but I still believe that it will, given time. As for the club, well what exactly has happened to that? I'm surprised that we've not heard of more appointments and developments behind the scenes than we have by now, where are the legions of people that we expected, where are all the specialists and experts that Sam had at Bolton? Have they crept into the club under my nose because I haven't seen them arrive and I wonder why? The nature of football (transfer windows and the like) makes it harder to build the squad you want, but surely the behind the scenes staff should be nearing completion by now, shouldn't it? If not, you have to ask: why not?

I can't see the point of playing with words, people knew that Keegan and Robson would improve us as much as you knew Sam would improve us given time.

As for staff coming in, I thought we were trying to bring people in from Bolton and Bolton was refusing to release them from contracts which had a year or so to run.  We have brought people in like Steve Round, I hardly recognise our bench these days but I've got no idea who else has come in.  Bobby Saxton and Adrian Heath have also been mentioned.

I think the worry for me isn't so much whether I'd trust him to spend the money (I still think the likes of Roze, Enrique etc) will turn out to be decent long term buys.

However, the worry for me is more about how he's turning out the current first team.

They seem to have no gameplan, set formation, direction or will to put their bollocks on the line.

The worry for me, and the minimum I thought we'd get when we appointed Sam, is the lack of organisation and commitment.

At Bolton, he used what he had really well. They were strong, committed, organised and never knew when they were beaten. We don't look like any of that.

So, in my opinion, he'll probably not let us down in the market - the question for me is can he use what he has effectively? and can he get us results?

Why'd you think that is?

Some thing's that might be relevant:

He had a long time at Bolton to instil those values within the fabric of the club.

We've not had any of that for a very long time.

Maybe it just takes longer than we think?

Why'd you think that is?

He had a long time at Bolton to instil those values within the fabric of the club.

aswell as planning for the future you have to remember the present. and continually sending out unbalanced teams is doing no good in the present.

the better the present ,the better his plans for the future can be, what is sending out teams  to get 0-0 draws at derby-reading-sunderland and, it now appears home games against anyone half decent doing for the present or future of the club.

Why'd you think that is?

I'm not sure to be honest but in Barton, Smith etc he's bought grafters and even they don't look like they fancy the fight.

How long did he have at Bolton before they looked like comfortably finishing in the top half?

Maybe it is just time, but he's not a little old Bolton now so he won't have the luxury of infinite patience from either the paying public or the owner.

He needs to be up for this challenge - it's gonna be the biggest of his career.

I can't see the point of playing with words, people knew that Keegan and Robson would improve us as much as you knew Sam would improve us given time.

As for staff coming in, I thought we were trying to bring people in from Bolton and Bolton was refusing to release them from contracts which had a year or so to run.  We have brought people in like Steve Round, I hardly recognise our bench these days but I've got no idea who else has come in.  Bobby Saxton and Adrian Heath have also been mentioned.

It's not plying with words to point out that the amount of time and leeway that various managers have received is something based upon something amounting to faith, rather than fact.

I never said that I knew Sam was going to improve things, I said I believed he would, I said I knew it would take time for any changes to take effect.

There are more places than just Bolton for bringing people in from, I'd be disappointed if that was the only place we were looking for staff. There are plenty of people that could do those jobs, I'd have thought that it might be one area in which Sam might really feel the benefit of being at a "bigger" club than Bolton too. This isn't a criticism of what you said by the way, just a response to it, I just wonder why that whole area appears to have ground to a halt.

Why'd you think that is?

aswell as planning for the future you have to remember the present. and continually sending out unbalanced teams is doing no good in the present.

the better the present ,the better his plans for the future can be, what is sending out teams  to get 0-0 draws at derby-reading-sunderland and, it now appears home games against anyone half decent doing for the present or future of the club.

I'm not trying to defend any of that though. I'm just wondering why it is that Sam doesn't seem to be behaving like himself.